Thread: Amnesty International

Default Amnesty International

As compassionate people, I'm sure that most people here concerned not only about animal rights - but human rights also.

I know of Amnesty International but hardly ever read anything about them. Other than visiting their website, can anyone give me some information and what their feelings are about this organisation?

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Amnesty International

I started the first chapter of AI at my High School eons ago (oh, okay 16 years ago ).

Like all groups, there have been controversies surrounding them, but all in all, they support Global Human Rights and that's a good thing, in my opinion

Talking Re: Amnesty International

thats great roxy & cc, i was the prez of the amnesty group at my high school!

i also started something called the diversity club in the milwaukee area! it was allot of fun!

some of the people have changed and arent so understanding these days, but some are just as cool!

i still compose letters to foreign governments and things alike, but i dont do it under a name like Amnesty... i just do it for me and for what i belive in...

because even the people in amnesty (at least in my area) had rules for what you could say in your letters...

well i guess im a little more free spirited than that!...( )

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

ConsciousCuisine

Quote jjdaiquiri

i also started something called the diversity club in the milwaukee area! it was allot of fun!

GLBTSU (Gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans-gendered student union) President Here, both in High School *and* college (I started the college chapter too)

i've been a supporter of Amnesty International for a few years now. as with any large charity there will be people who criticise them for various reasons, but i personally believe they do a lot of good. i enjoy reading their magazine (although i find it a bit depressing sometimes) as it's a good way to hear about campaigns and so on. they often ask people to sign petitions, send postcards to the government etc. as well as writing letters.

they also have an online shop in the UK where you can buy some excellent gifts, i think everything they sell is fair trade and a lot of it is organic or recycled (unfortunately they have a couple of non-vegan items, but you can't have everything i suppose!).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The only criticism I have come across regarding Amnesty has been from Governments who lock people away for spurious reasons and who disgregard peoples human and civil rights.

I write those letters for them too.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I started the first chapter of AI at my High School eons ago (oh, okay 16 years ago ).

Like all groups, there have been controversies surrounding them, but all in all, they support Global Human Rights and that's a good thing, in my opinion
    I started the Amnesty International Chapter in my highschool too when I was a Sophomore! I was co-founder and co-president for most of high school!

It's a really great organization. I learned so much running that club and going to conferences.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

As CC writes, there have been controversies surrounding them. Roxy, you did ask what our feelings are about this organisation, IMHO they are sometimes biased, and I find myself taking a pinch of salt with some things they say, but I guess that basically they do the right thing. Just for myself, I prefer to get involved with organisations that work to end animal exploitation, and with MSF for human medical needs.
    Eve

Roxy, you ask what our feelings are re this organisation. As CC mentions, there have been some controversies. IMHO, they sometimes appear biased and I find myself taking a pinch of salt with their reports. Basically though I guess they are OK. I prefer working with organisations aiming to overcome animal exploitation. As for humans, my choice is MSF whose volunteers work to give medical aid to suffering people around the world.

Human Rights are Animal Rights, as humans are animals. Being human I'm more interested in Human Rights, but because I live in a country with pretty good human rights, I've been able to give more time and thought to non human animal rights. In this country (UK) we treat our animals a lot like some countries treat their humans, from which I've met HR activists who've never had time or inclination to consider non human animals.

I got involved with AI at sixth form college, then was on the comittee for the first 2 years of uni, then chaired the group for the final 2. We had 40 members the first year I was chair (the most ever), over 100 the second. I really like AI because it's politically impartial (for instance it's neither pro or anti war), it's just about facts and is willing to (and has done) admit mistakes if they arise. I have issues with groups that have a political or religious agenda whilst doing charity work. I attended the UK student AI conference twice, a training weekend at the UK HQ and have had several friends in the past who've worked for AI UK. The other thing I like about AI is it's not self indulgent. My group wasn't as popular as other HR groups at my uni (which had a large law/hr law postgrad department), because I focussed it on things like letter writting and events for non members, not organising events for a cliche group of people already into HR - to increase their knowledge or further their law careers. AI was the only HR group on campus with a significant amount of non law students (although we still had about 80%!).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

cross barer

^^ Deja Vu

I think amnesty are the ones who'll be campaigning for our release when we're locked up for demonstrating against cruelty to animals in the near future

Thanks Everyone It seems most people have positive things to say about the organisation. I have signed up for Amnesty Canada's email newsletter - hoping that will give me a bit more regular insight into what kind of work they are doing.

The Bristol branch of Amnesty International will be at the Bristol Vegan Fayre 2005 at the end of the month.

The Amnesty Intenational chapter at my college is doing a Fair-Trade coffeehouse, and one of the members asked me (because I'm prez of the animal rights group) if we would want to come do something at the event about consumer advocacy for the animals (ie. veganism, animal testing). So, I think they're great!

Hey wow! That is great! What will you be doing for the event?

Quote thecatspajamas1
    The Amnesty Intenational chapter at my college is doing a Fair-Trade coffeehouse, and one of the members asked me (because I'm prez of the animal rights group) if we would want to come do something at the event about consumer advocacy for the animals (ie. veganism, animal testing). So, I think they're great!
    how cool

at the last AI student conference I went to they made all the food vegetarian, with a decent vegan option (although no pudding ). Quite a few people complained there was no meat!

I actually only met one vegan there though, out of several hundred people

I have always thought that meat eaters were addicted like drug addicts. What NO MEAT. I can't go on

What do you think about that

good on amnesty international for putting on a veggie spread

I think it sounds pretty accurate. People spending all day listening to inspirational lecturers on human rights abuse and genocide, to then whinge that there's no meat in the evening meal is a sad reality, however ironic.

Hey wow! That is great! What will you be doing for the event

I'm going to contact a local animal rights organization (NJARA) because they told me that if I ever needed a speaker on campus they would send somebody. I think they would do a much better job speaking about it than if I did it, because they have a lot of experience in that. I'm also going to bring pamphlets to the event (cruelty-free shopping guides, etc.)

Good luck with the event!

I have always thought that meat eaters were addicted like drug addicts. What NO MEAT. I can't go on

LOL so true