Thread: Terra Nostra Ricemilk Bars discontinued?

Default Terra Nostra Ricemilk Bars discontinued?

Ever since going full vegan nearly two years ago, Terra Nosta's Ricemilk Chocolate bars have my primary means of satisfying those residual chocolate cravings. I don't eat a LOT of them, but definitely pick up three or four a month as the situation dictates. Nevertheless, they're the only vegan "milk chocolate" I've ever seen in a grocery store so I've become kinda' dependent on them. Within the last month or so I've noticed a decrease in their availability; the "plain" bars disappeared entirely from my Wegman's six weeks ago and were closely followed by the almond variety. Neither was ever restocked and now all that remains are dwindling quantities of the "Truffle" version. More concerning is that THAT bar has been marked down to 1.50, leading me to believe that, perhaps, Wegman's was planning to stop carrying the line entirely.
    As bummed out as I was by this, my horror increased significantly when I sauntered into my local, generally unvisited Giant store looking for a late night chocolate fix. Their shelves were also absent of everything but the "Truffle" and, more concerning, they too had the price marked down to a buck or so with a particularly disconcerting "clearance" tag adorning the price marker.
    I really WANT to believe that this is some horrible coincidence and that these two stores are, out of sheer coincidence, making the same independent stocking choice simultaneously. I know better, though; they're just totally discontinuing production on these things, aren't they?

Soooo, does anyone have any info on this demoralizing turn of events? More importantly, are there any other viable alternatives for fake milk chocolate product? I've searched google and haven't managed to find a blessed thing.

Default Re: Terra Nostra Ricemilk Bars discontinued?

I used to get them at Whole Foods but I eat them slowly-they are too expensive for me to eat four or five a month!

Vegan Essentials has them: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

My local health food store, the only place in town that sells them, can't order them anymore. The woman told me "They are backordered, check back next week." But I know that really means the company isn't supplying it anymore.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    My local health food store, the only place in town that sells them, can't order them anymore. The woman told me "They are backordered, check back next week." But I know that really means the company isn't supplying it anymore.
    Aw, this kinda' confirms my worst fears. Also, I looked at the company website and nothing from the ricemilk line is listed in their purchasable inventory. This is the result you get when you click on the ricemilk option on their navigation bar:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=838082 . Everything is "Out of Stock."

Not looking good.

Horrible. I had a serious craving for chocolate that day and had to rely on some dark chocolate covered almonds that weren't sweet. It was that or the gross 80% dark chocolate.

Vegan Essentials also has these : http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp

I ordered one before I found the Terra Nostra ones locally and it was good.

I'd rather just buy them IRL than online. I only buy chocolate when I'm craving it. If I buy chocolate without craving it, I just end up pigging out!

Nooooooooo!!!! I hope not! I would be so sad.

(And wow, you could get them at a local supermarket? The local health food store was the only place in my town that stocked them; the supermarkets would never sell those.)

I'd rather just buy them IRL than online. I only buy chocolate when I'm craving it. If I buy chocolate without craving it, I just end up pigging out!
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I try to stock up on chocolate if there's a kind I like but it's only sold in a store I don't visit frequently....and then I just end up eating a bunch of chocolate at once! (And never having it around when I'm actually craving it.)

Chocolate pudding was on sale and I bought some "for desserts". I ate all four cups in a day and a half.

Chocolate pudding was on sale and I bought some "for desserts". I ate all four cups in a day and a half.
    Haha. That kind of stuff always happens to me with soy ice cream too...I figure I can make a tub last a week or two...but it usually only lasts a few hours!

So I found a replacement ricemilk chocolate bar that, in my opinion, is even better than the Terra Nostra stuff! I bought two of them at Whole Foods this weekend and almost jumped out of my pants with glee.
    I accidentally threw out the wrapper, so I can't give a name right now. I'll be going back for more soon, though, and I'll definitely list the precise details then!

woo+ Thanks Russell!

Alright! This new bar is called "Boom Choco Boom: Dairy Free Rice Milk Bar" and is manufactured by Enjoy Life. The wrapper is purple, yellow and pink and the bar itself is, well, quite delicious. Check them out: http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_fo...late_bars.html

I don't know if any of you guys have tried these or not, but I love them and think they're a more than adequate replacement for anyone who had a thing for the Terra Nostras.

http://gomaxgofoods.com/index.htm

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Vegan 3 Musketeers!? Vegan Snickers!? THIS IS AMAZING.

I'm kind of scared to try Enjoy Life products. I got their gluten-free granola once and it tasted like crap.

I've never had their granola, but their chocolate is honestly really good. While I enjoyed the Terra Nostra bars, I always felt that their products were a little bittersweet and, more irksomely, had a vaguely "stale" taste, like cheap easter candy or stuff you would retrieve from a holiday advent calendar. This one tastes way more milky and rich. I don't know how recently you ate a regular candy bar, but these remind me a lot of the "dove bars" I used to eat before I went vegan 3 years ago.

Oooh. I used to like those. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone make a vegan version of "Crunchie"?