Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cream cheese alternative

Default cream cheese alternative

my local sains has stopped stocking their 'free-from' vegan soft cheese spread whats a lassie to put on her bagel, in her jacket spud, on top of her carrot cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i asked an assistant who was stocking the cheese shelves about it and she did say that she had been asking for it to be re-stocked herself but no luck so far - she said it was quite tasty and she wasn't vegan!
    i will have to contact them and perhaps they will do as well as ASDA did when i complained about the lack of own brand soya milk for about a month - couple of weeks later, there it was again.

NO ONE takes away my soft cheese and gets away with it !!

just another example of minority item and dietry group getting the short straw

do they sell tofutti over in the UK? their cream cheese is pretty damn good.

Its available alright, but not in the supermarkets as far as I'm aware.

Quote gertvegan
    Its available alright, but not in the supermarkets as far as I'm aware.

nope, never seen it any. healthstore near me has it occasionally.

mmm i love vegan cream cheese. altho i can only ever find it in the herb flavoured kind (by tofutti)

mmmmmmmmm tofutti creme cheese.. i love it..and glad fortinos carries it....

My local grocery store also started carrying vegan gourmet which is supposed to be a great vegan cheese that melts... i got some yesterday and making tortillas tonight.. mmmmmmm ok im getting hungry
    Vegan-pagan-homeschooling momma to Khaila (5) and felines Gamma (3) and Mickey (3 mnths) and new foster cat Holly (2)

the vegan cream cheese works really well for stuffing mushroom caps with. after u bake them the cream cheese just melts in your mouth. mmm delicious!

found some tofutti in local health shop, its £2.35, is that pricey?
    will still buy some though and try it. whats the best flavour tho?

Quote cedarblue
    found some tofutti in local health shop, its £2.35, is that pricey?
    will still buy some though and try it. whats the best flavour tho?
    £2.30 from mine. French onion and herbs and chives are both good. Nice on bagels with cucumber or whatever you fancy!

i have never seen it

Default cream cheese alternative

hiya all. when i first became a vegan about four or five years ago i bought a vegan 'cream cheese' (like philidelphia) from Sainsburys Free From range...it was delicious! i don't think they do it anymore and i can't seem to find any others. does anyone know of any available in the UK? i'd be so happy if you did! many thanks, love tri

Default Re: cream cheese alternative

Try tofutti stuff available from most health food shops (inc holland and barratt). It's good but imported and a bit of a rip off. There also used to be a brand in supermarkets called Swedish Soft, which threatened a revival about a year ago but never happened.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

We buy loads of tofutti, lasts all of 5 minutes
    Silent but deadly :p

paulvegan

tofutti. YES YES YES

You can get Swedish Soft at Sainsburys! Yup it's v.yummy

Veryblue2

Oh, BTW It's £1.29 for 200g, don't know how that compares to Tofutti... haven't had the need to hunt it down, cause Swedish Soft is soooo tasty. Am I missing out?

Which wins - Swedish Soft or Tofutti?

Veryblue2

interestment - must be a welsh thing (maybe you have 5 year old stock? ). Tofutti is more like 2-3 quid for that much; very similar but if memory serves more salty. I shop once a week in a huge sainsburys in Coventry and despite looking every now and then haven't seen it yet.

What, you mean tofutti is more salty than swedish soft? Or vice versa?

I remember swedish soft being way more salty than tofutti. I only remember cos I made a chocolate cheesecake out of it and it didn't quite taste right Tofutti is much better for cheesecakes

I just had some tofutti cream cheese on a bagel, actually

vegan1969

Doesn't tofutti cream cheese use hydrogenated oil? I quit buying their ice cream because I found out they use cane sugar that is processed through bone char.

I might try Swedish Soft- I picked some up then put it back cos I already have some garlic tofutti in already, but I might try this plain one.
    Tofutti kind of has a weird taste.. but I dont know whats weird about it!

paulvegan

sadly yes

vegan1969

sadly yes
    thanks for the info.....do you know of a vegan cream cheese that doesn't use hydrogenated oil?

Quote Mr Flibble
    interestment - must be a welsh thing (maybe you have 5 year old stock? ). Tofutti is more like 2-3 quid for that much; very similar but if memory serves more salty. I shop once a week in a huge sainsburys in Coventry and despite looking every now and then haven't seen it yet.
    It's listed on the sainsburystoyou website as well... so it could be that it's just not popular in your store Maybe you could ask them at the 'unhelpful people desk' if you have an hour or two to kill...

Hmmm... if tofutti is twice the price, in theory it should be twice as good right?.....

Veryblue2

Quote vegan1969
    thanks for the info.....do you know of a vegan cream cheese that doesn't use hydrogenated oil?
    Tofutti. They also make a non-hydrogenated cream cheese. It's in a yellow tub.

Quote Mr Flibble
    Both the sainsburys near me stock it. They are both fair sized stores, though. It has a reasonably long date, so it only takes 3 or 4 people to buy it regularly.

thanks every - this is really helpful! gosh, i don't like the sound of that tofutti ice cream using bone char to process the sugar...do you know this is definately true?

I wonder if this "Swedish Soft" is the same vegan cream cheese I eat on occasion here, in of all places, Sweden. I actually cannot remember the exact name. It is exquisite, but relatively expensive.

I am in the US, but I noticed some other brands of cream cheese at the local Co-op and I was wondering if anyone had tried them...I like tofutti (nonhydrogenated) OK, but I wonder about the others.

One brand was by WholeSoy - I really like their soy yogurt. it came in a tub kinda like yogurt... I can't even find it listed on their website, but I am sure I saw it at the store...

I think the other brand was from Galaxy Foods - VeggieSpread I believe it was called.

I have never heard anyone mention these, so I would be interested if anyone had tried them.

Demon

i don't like the sound of that tofutti ice cream using bone char to process the sugar...do you know this is definately true?
    Sadly yes...sometimes.

I recieved this reply from Tofutti today:

Dear Leigh:

Thank you for your recent Tofutti email. In many of our products we do use processed sugar that could have been processed with animal bone char. Because we cannot confirm on a continuous basis whether or not this is true, if you have an issue with that you should only purchase our products made with an organic sugar. Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Sincerely yours,

Steven Kass

Tofutti Brands Inc

thanks SO much Leigh. that is OUTRAGEOUS. i'm SO angry. how can they put 'vegan' on the pot if it's not definately?! gosh, it makes me SO angry...who can you trust?! i suppose at least they were honest when asked. thankyou for emailing them. i bought some of their 'better pecan' dessert today but i'm going to try and return it tomorrow. grrr,,,it tastes so damn good. i will have to stick to the organic ones. thanks again. tri

Quote triona.d.
    thanks SO much Leigh. that is OUTRAGEOUS. i'm SO angry. how can they put 'vegan' on the pot if it's not definately?!
    who decides what the definition of vegan is? A lot of people round here seem to be confused, as do the vegan society. Certain things get picked on and really scrutinised whilst others completely ignored. Sugar is one such area that a lot of people are very millitant on, but there's loads more things that could make products containing only vegan products actually have involved animal products (such as filtered water or the adhesive or dyes used in the packaging) that most don't pick up on.

If I'm not mistaken, the Tofutti cream cheese uses sugar (I've since stopped purchasing it).

And in response to the tofutti ice cream, a lot of the chocolate kinds use corn syrup in place of sugar and are still vegan.

Quote Mr Flibble
    there's loads more things that could make products containing only vegan products actually have involved animal products (such as filtered water or the adhesive or dyes used in the packaging) that most don't pick up on.
    What about those adhesive dyes? Are they essentially glue?

Hi Chickendude.

Adhesive is glue, yes, which can be made from animal products like casein or bones/hooves. Some dyes (as in colouring) are made from animals, such as cochineal from a species of beetle.

I think the point was that people get very upset about sugar, when there may be other companies out there labelling their products as vegan when actually somewhere distantly down the line an animal product might have been used.

It would be nice to think that companies like that are doing their utmost though, and it's only by people objecting that they'll realise it's important to people.

Demon

I know to the animals, it's just as important, but maybe we have to view packaging separately from the food itself.

After all, virtually everything we use in the modern world either contains animal products, has been tested on animals or made using substances tested on animals. Short of withdrawing completely from 'normal life', it is impossible not to compomise.

While we would like to see an end to all animal abuse, vegan food ought to be achievable today. Those other things may be tomorrows battles. If we start demanding food manufacturers check thier glues, dyes etc, they will probably just decide it's easier not to cater for the vegan minority and give up on us.

Maybe the Vegan Society (and other certifying bodies) could take a lead here and include packaging in the certification process, but then again that might mean less certified products. Maybe they could do an 'Ultra Vegan' standard...

Demon

I managed to find some Swedish Soft in Sainsburys (Southend) this morning. Tastes simlar to Tofutti to me - maybe a little nicer.

It's made by the same people as Swedish Glace.

http://www.fayrefield.com/

I have emailed them to confirm thier sugar is not processed using animal products and will post the response here.

Toejam, its self-creating and if you don't wash too often a healthy supply. and.....it smells of parmesan...oh wait, thats hard cheese.

Demon

Response from Fayrefield Foods (Swedish Soft and Swedish Glace):

Me:
    Hi

As a Vegan I enjoy both your Swedish Glace and Swedish Soft products.

I recently discovered that similar products from one of your competitors contains sugar which 'may have been processed with animal bone char'.

Can you reassure me that your Vegan products use sugar which has not been processed using animal products ?

Many thanks

Leigh Norton
    Fayrefield:
    I can assure you that there are no products of animal origin whatsoever in the Swedish Glace / Soft ranges

Kind regards
    Ian Simpson
    QA Manager
    Fayrefield Foods Limited
    Me:
    Hi Ian

Thank you for your quick reply and reassurance.

However, my question was not about whether there are any animal products in Swedish Glace or Swedish Soft but rather have any of the ingredients been processed using animal products ?

There are some cases where animal products are used in processing even though there is none left in the finished product.

As well as sugar processed with bone char, two examples which spring to mind are Beta Carotine carried in Gelatine and Isinglass used to clarify beer and wine. Often, there are no animal traces in the finished product but the finished product would still not be considered Vegan.

I hope this does not sound too pedantic and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

I would also like to reiterate how much I and other Vegans I know enjoy these products.

Thanks again

Leigh Norton
    Fayrefield:
    There is nothing animal directly or indirectly associated with the Swedish products

Thanks
    Ian

the toffuti cream cheese is the BEST! but its expensive and only lasts me about 2 days, cos its so yummy.

Demon

Hi Lozza

What do you think about the bone char issue ?

shit..i didnt realise :| sorry, i didnt read all the replies. *guilty*

thats CRAP. how can they do that?? and how can they label it vegan?

hmm..i've never seen the sainsburys one, but i can get to a big sainsburys and look. is that one definitely vegan then?

Demon

The manufacturer claims so (see above).

Does anyone know if the Tofutti packaging actually says vegan. It definitely does on thier website.

yeah it does. thats why i bought it in the first place. my gosh i cant believe that.

i feel kinda ashamed. i feel like a 'bad vegan' for not knowing this before!

Demon

Don't feel that way. We've all done it. I'm trying to think of a positive way to encourage Tofutti to use vegan sugar. Maybe if they get polite complaints from lots of vegans, it will do the trick.

I am tempted to raise it with Trading Standards, but this might backfire.

i've just been on the sainsburystoyou website, and they dont appear to have the 'free from' cream cheese on there

strike that..they do have it..but theres not picture for it, and the link is deactivated so i cant see the ingredients/info. but theres still the option to buy it.

Demon

The Sainsbury's one I said was OK was 'Swedish Soft' not thier own 'Free From' variety. I assume if they label is as Vegan, it's OK but then you can never be sure.

Asda near me also has Swedish Soft in now.

aaah this is so confusing.

i went to a big-ish sainsburys earlier today but did not see any kinda of vegan/dairy-free soft cheese.

there's an even bigger MASSIVE one in a shopping centre near me..they have EVERYTHING (even vegan cherry bakewells) so i shall be searching that one soon.

They have got Swedish Soft listed on Asda's website too, with a pic
    Hopefully it will turn up in one of the shops by me soon, can never find it. Least I know what to look for now.