Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Juicers / Blenders

Default Juicers / Blenders

Gorilla bought a manual juicer, see here:

www.soyafresh.co.uk/juicers/juicer_easyhealth.htm

it's not too difficult to use, it's easy to clean and you don't have to be superstrong to crush all the fruit and veg. i didn't want to buy a huge electric one as they're too expensive for me, but this was a neat little purchase at just £25.

Juice ahoy!

Vivisanctor

Question Another Juicer Question-

I recently bought a juicer on ebay. Should be here today.

I'd like to know what you get out of the fruit/veggies in the juice. I'm thinking you lose mainly the fiber. I wonder if the majority of the protein is still there?

anybody know?

Juicing is an efficient way of obtaining large quantities of high quality nutrients in the form that the body is most able to use. By breaking down the cells of the produce we release the liquid contents and discard the fibres as you thought. Also discarding the majority of any residual chemicals that are believed to accumulate in the fibres of non-organic produce by getting rid of the pulp. The juice obtained is rich in nutrients in a form the body can easily assimilate. Drinking a juice a day is an easy way of obtaining an abundance of nourishment from produce that would otherwise require a great deal of time to chew.

Centrifugal juicers, those with rapidly spinning blades do incorporate more oxygen and therefore reduce shelf life and do not break down leafy green vegetables quite as well as masticating units.
    Masticating juicers work at slower speeds and effectively "chews" the vegetable up, releasing more nutrients from the fibres and have been shown to produce juice with a higher nutritional content, and do incorporate less oxygen, giving a longer shelf life.
    Masticating juicers with two gears with very close separation turn slowly in towards each other, produce is crushed and pressed between the gears like a mangle with juice being wrung out and passed through the screen. This type of juicer extracts the best quality of juice.

Consciouscuisine will know more.

ConsciousCuisine

Thanks, Gert

One of the "health" benefits to juicing to obtain nutrients is that it gives your digestive system a break! A large amount of our daily energy is devoted to digestion! If we did not need to digest foods, the actual amount of time needed to sleep (for cellular regeneration and function) would be cut at least in half!

There is debate as to how much nutrient loss occurs when juicing, but basically if you consume the juice fresh (immediately) you can absorb all of the same nutrients (minus some pectins and the fiber) you would if you ate all of the raw produce directly.

Quote gertvegan
    Juicing is an efficient way of obtaining large quantities of high quality nutrients in the form that the body is most able to use. By breaking down the cells of the produce we release the liquid contents and discard the fibres as you thought. Also discarding the majority of any residual chemicals that are believed to accumulate in the fibres of non-organic produce by getting rid of the pulp. The juice obtained is rich in nutrients in a form the body can easily assimilate. Drinking a juice a day is an easy way of obtaining an abundance of nourishment from produce that would otherwise require a great deal of time to chew.

Centrifugal juicers, those with rapidly spinning blades do incorporate more oxygen and therefore reduce shelf life and do not break down leafy green vegetables quite as well as masticating units.
    Masticating juicers work at slower speeds and effectively "chews" the vegetable up, releasing more nutrients from the fibres and have been shown to produce juice with a higher nutritional content, and do incorporate less oxygen, giving a longer shelf life.
    Masticating juicers with two gears with very close separation turn slowly in towards each other, produce is crushed and pressed between the gears like a mangle with juice being wrung out and passed through the screen. This type of juicer extracts the best quality of juice.

trying to blind me with science are you?
    well which are you? centrifugal or masticating?

I'm a Green Star masticating twin gear juicer cedarblue.

ConsciousCuisine

ooo! That's a GOOD one! Congratulations!

Quote gertvegan
    I'm a Green Star masticating twin gear juicer cedarblue.

boasting again!

Vivisanctor

Thumbs up thanks

thanks for the help everyone!

can I ask what the difference is between the Green Star and the normal run of the mill juicer?

Smile Green Star Vs. Other Juicer's

Quote tim
    can I ask what the difference is between the Green Star and the normal run of the mill juicer?

Tim,

Green Star is the best on the market. It has twin blades & various gadgets to it that make it the best that their is. It gives you healthier Juice & the juice lasts a lot longer with the Green Star.

You can make homemade Icecream out of banana's & Strawberry's (without the use of Dairy Products), besides making the regular veggie juice.

Ya do not want to mix veggies & fruit together, for your body digestive system has a harder time digesting the two together. The only thing that is acceptional is tomatoes & a few other fruits, with Veggies.

I'll have to look into it some more & write something in more detail here in regards to it, unless someone beats me to it in regards to how the digestive system works with certain foods.

I acquired Skin Cancer some time ago & well, I've decided to use the best juicer out there. You can avoid a lot of this world's dieseases, by what & how you eat.

I'll dig up some more info on this later.

K4J

Default Looking to buy a juicer.

I am getting ready to buy a juicer. I have never even used one before so this will be totally new to me. What sort of features should I be looking for? Can anyone recommend a good brand? I'm thinking Hamilton Beach?

Default Re: Looking to buy a juicer.

Hey Sunnie!

My advice is don't buy the Hamilton Beach. I got one of them at walmart last year, and it is really low quality: doesn't juice well, hard to clean up, noisy, etc. I ended up buying a Samson multipurpose (single gear, low rpm) and it works great! It did costs about $240, but its an investment thats worth it considering how much more juice you can get out of your produce.

I have a Juiceman juicer. It seems pretty good. I have never had any problems with it. My favorite mix is strawberries, pineappple, and grapes.

Maya
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Gliondrach

I bought one about 15 years ago. It cost about £30, which is probably equal to about $50. No idea how much it would be today.

After a couple of years it started giving off a burning smell. Something was rubbing against something that it shouldn't have been rubbing against.

Before all this, I found it quite a chore to clean. The plastic became stained and no amount of cleaning could remove the stain. If I was to buy another I would go for a more expensive and better constructed one. I might even consider buying or making something like a cider press, with a screw action to compress the veggies and fruities.

BrianWarner

Default Which food blender do you use. Is Magic Bullet any good?

I have seen the light and am eating healthily. If I’m not a vegan yet, I’m heading that way.

I’d like to make juices like carrot juice, apple juice etc etc. But I don’t know which blender to get. Which do you use? I searched for a similar thread but couldn’t find one.

Would anyone recommend the Magic Bullet blender? It looks good, but spare parts could be a problem to get hold of..its not a big company.

cheers

Gliondrach

Default Re: Which food blender do you use. Is Magic Bullet any good?

Hello, Brian and welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of the Magic Bullet. You must live in some other part of the world - possibly the Americas.

Blenders don't make juice. They make a pulp out of any fruit you put in. You would need a juice extractor. I have one somewhere, but haven't used it for years. It began to vibrate in an alarming fashion and smoke would come out of it. I have a Moulinex blender and I can recommend them. Mostly, though, I just use a spoon to mix things.

Regards,

Martin.

BrianWarner

hi there - Magic Bullet is an american product but as ever i found it to be available on ebay [im in hertfordshire].

a 'juice extracter' eh..why i was looking for a blender im not really sure

is anyone familiar with the Anthoney Worrall Thompson juice extracter? retails for about £90 or so. internet users seem to really fancy it, i could poss pick one up for £60 or so.

however..i cant really afford that. does anyone know of a model which is the best compromise in terms of price/quality? cheers

Gliondrach

Quote BrianWarner
    is anyone familiar with the Anthoney Worrall Thompson juice extracter?
    I really wouldn't want to taste Worral Thompson juice. There'd be bits of his hair and clothes in it.

I would like to have a miniature version of a wine press or cider press for making veggie and fruit juices. It would cost nothing to run and would be easier to clean.

From my own adventures in juice extractors, i can highly recomend getting one which is easy to clean. This may mean it's more expensive, but after the novelty of mine wore off and i realised it takes about 15 mins to clean it properly after making a glass of juice it went on the shelf for several years before getting binned. Nice idea, completely impractical. There's also different types (which i forget now, helpful arn't i?), the cheaper ones tending to not extract nearly as much juice as other types.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

My juicer is inexpensive, easy to rinse off afterwards, and purchased at a supermarket. I use it every day, but no point referring to make and brand, as I doubt if you live in Australia.
    Eve

Quote BrianWarner
    hi there - Magic Bullet is an american product but as ever i found it to be available on ebay [im in hertfordshire].

a 'juice extracter' eh..why i was looking for a blender im not really sure

is anyone familiar with the Anthoney Worrall Thompson juice extracter? retails for about £90 or so. internet users seem to really fancy it, i could poss pick one up for £60 or so.

however..i cant really afford that. does anyone know of a model which is the best compromise in terms of price/quality? cheers
    Some info on reviews for this product can be found on google but here's the big link
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Magic_...ender__5830461
    I have gotten mixed reviews by friends, including it being way too small, not good for making smooth products (hummos, puddings ect.), being too loud, not working properly.
    The juicer portion does not work well according to anyone I spoke with.

I do not own one and since I have a chopper and blender already I didn't feel I needed one. But if you are using it for small things, just for yourself it should be good. My friend says to order extra cups though cause you will need them.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Default KitchenAid Juicer

I've been thinking about getting a juicer for a while, & just came across a nice buy.

It has very good reviews at Amazon.com & the KitchenAid store is closing out the $249 model for just $49 with free S/H.

I ordered one 5 minutes ago. I'll post a review after it arrives & I get to try it out. I don't really like Kale or other good for you greens, so this may be just the thing to get me going with the greens (or maybe not -- I'll find out after it arrives).

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/index.asp [limited quantities]

Default Re: Juicers / Blenders

WOW! Save $200? Bargain!!

Smile Blenders

Hi everyone.
    I was looking at Vita-Mixes at Amazon.com, and before I spend a lot of money on something with mixed reviews, I would like to know what kind of blender I should buy, what works perfectly for you.
    It is a rather large investment, and I'm sure I'd use it quite often. (at least once a day)
    Thank you very much for any time you give to respond!

Default Re: Blenders

http://www.discountjuicers.com/blendercompare.html

Which of the first two (total blender or turbo blend) would you get/do you use?
    I think I'm going to order the vita mix turbo blend: longer warranty, more rpms, bigger caraffe.

Default Re: Blenders

This one looks really nice:

tabitha

I have had the Jack le Lane Power Juicer for over a year now and it is brilliant. I bought the Kenwood Smoothie Maker a few months ago and that is crap. Things come out lumpy and wont come out of the little tap. Complete waste of money. I had an ordinary Moulinex blender for years, very cheap and that was far better.

Geoff

I bought a Champion on ebay and picked it up on Friday. It seems to be well made and robust (Just like me!) I'm going to buy a shitload of veggies for juicing tomorrow.

I also recommend the newGena Power Blender.

sugarmouse

i have one-i am not at home at the minte and couldnt tel u what make it was-bt ilove it..i use it mainly for soups n chopping vegetables...it makes things so easy! but i dnt like the noise it makes n how dangerous it looks!

Tiggerwoo

Quote tabitha
    I have had the Jack le Lane Power Juicer for over a year now and it is brilliant. I bought the Kenwood Smoothie Maker a few months ago and that is crap. Things come out lumpy and wont come out of the little tap. Complete waste of money. I had an ordinary Moulinex blender for years, very cheap and that was far better.
    OK, there must be something I'm doing wrong. My Jack le Lanne broke in a week as all the silver trimming started flaking off in the juices and the parts wouldn't fit together......... well it did say dishwasher safe!

tabitha

Ah yes mine did that too Tigs, but not in the juice, just the silver trimming is now pale green, but apart from that its fine

Tiggerwoo

Whoops, mine got so bad I had metal filings in the juice so ended up binning it as had grouchy ebayer seller that refused to take it back as I had binned the box.

Got a new one from Ebay another week or so later and melted half the elements in to funny shapes in the dishwasher then! Think I'm doomed. Have to more or less sit on the juicer now to make it work!

tabitha

Tigs u nutter. (mental picture of you sitting on the juicer - no wonder it doesnt work).

Tiggerwoo

well I asked Tigger to hold it together with his paws, but he flatly declined!

tabitha

Quote Tiggerwoo
    well I asked Tigger to hold it together with his paws, but he flatly declined!
    Too busy drunkenly dancing on the table if you ask me

Tiggerwoo

Doing that Bacardi Breezer cat advert that was out last year!

Geoff

Quote gertvegan
    I also recommend the newGena Power Blender.
    It's not available in Australia. Perhaps you'd like to buy me one for Christmas and bring it out (I have a spare room)

Default vitamix blender.

I was wondering has anyone got one of these blenders "Vita Mix Super 5000 Blender" it says it can make soup from start to finish in 4 minutes!, i know they arent cheap but it does seem like a good buy.

Default Re: vitamix blender.

This is so funny...just yesterday when I was cleaning out my juicer I thought about the vitamix and told myself I should inquire about it on here. You beat me to it Scruffyhead.

I would also love to know if anyone has one and what they think of it. I've thought of getting one too. I hate wasting all the peel that the juicer leaves behind especially when it's the good organic stuff.

So any vitamixer dudes or dudettes out there?

coney

Default Re: vitamix blender.

Those are supposed to be great. I've heard great things on Raw Food boards about them. The Raw Foodists like it a lot.

Thanks for moveing my post to here! or else i wouldnt of seen this thread and been able to see other blenders i should open my eyes more often

Say Tabitha,
    I have a Jack LaLane Juicer also. Received it from my mom a few weeks ago and she had no problems with it and neither have I . It makes more juice than another I used to have, also it is easier to clean... Later

I've had a Green Life twin gear juicer for almost ten years and it still works great!

I think its now called a green star juicer or something? It aint cheap and it aint small, but its quiet and its a great juicer. Juices everything and the pulp is really dry.

nervine

For the love of god someone invent a self-cleaning juicer!!

Didn't U say "invent a self=cleaning..." Nervine??? AMEN TO THAT!!!

I got one of those magic bullet things last summer..and I make so many smoothies out of it... takes away my temptations for sweets

it also does juicing and chopping... Im sure you all have seen the adverts

Yogini

I'm getting a bit of mad money in a few months and am plotting a major kitchen purchase: a Vitamix plus a mid-range juicer and mid-range dehydrator.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

Default Juicer

Firstly: Hello all!

Now, I need a juicer but I don't know what to look for in one. It's important to me that it comes from a conscientious company and is made from relatively environmentally-friendly materials. But I know that's not gonna happen. So, tell me what I need mechanically? And maybe which ones you've been happy with. And where I can get it?

Thanks! Peace.
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 14th, 2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread