Thread: Cantelope

Default Cantelope

If you buy a cantelope from the store and let it sit for a while at room temperature, does it ripen more? Or is it already at its full ripeness?
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Default Re: Cantelope

I have read that they do not ripen any further after they have been picked. They get softer and juicier at room temperature but not riper, so if they are not very sweet they will not get sweeter. This is because they have no starch reserves to convert to sugar over time after they have been picked. I always smell them and when I find a nice lovley smelling one I buy it.

Here in Australia we call them melons. The one in the picture is a rockmelon. I have read that they are called Cantelope because werefirst cultivated near Cantalupo in Italy, in the mid-18th century.

Antonymelon

Thanks. I cut into one that wasn't ripe enough and I was letting the second one I bought just sit there. I guess that one won't be as good, either. I have since read that you should buy ones with more goldish color as opposed to green, because the green ones aren't ripe enough.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote Artichoke47

Thanks. I cut into one that wasn't ripe enough and I was letting the second one I bought just sit there. I guess that one won't be as good, either. I have since read that you should buy ones with more goldish color as opposed to green, because the green ones aren't ripe enough.
    I find the smelling process to work best. Unless they have them cold then you can hardly smell em

antony smell

I like cantaloup when they are very ripe - so sweet, mmmmm.
    Eve