Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Instead of dairy products

Default Instead of dairy products

I'm trying to become a vegan, done a lot of reading, trying to educate myself - I've started with removing dairy products... milk.

So far, I have tried 'sogood' soya milk which was vile and 'alpro' soya sweetened milk, and although alpro seems to be slightly better than the 'sogood' it's vile too. In fact, it made me feel quite sickly. Soya milk seems to have an after taste - can anyone recommend a milk substitute without an obvious after taste?

I can do without drinking milk neat, I can drink water - I can do with out having it on cereal, I can eat cereal dry - but I do like milk in tea and coffee, I'm not a black tea or coffee drinker.

Wendy

Gliondrach

Default Re: Dairy substitutes

Have you tried almond milk or rice milk?

There are many brands of soya milk. I prefer the unsweetened. Many supermarkets sell their own brands.

As I said, in your other thread, it might take time to get used to a different taste. You've been drinking cows' milk all your life and, as milk is very mucous forming, it can affect your sense of taste.

Try choosing a non-sweetened soya milk, with no flavouring. They are pretty neutral tasting.
    Asda or Granose do varieties like that. They work really well on cereal.

For tea or coffee, you could try switching to green tea, herb tea, fruit tea.
    None of those have milk added to them, and they are better for you than black tea and coffee. At first they may seem a little tasteless, but keep up with them, and you'll probably get into them.

I've only ever had cows milk (as far as I know), and for a long time now, semi skimmed - only recently tried the two products stated in my first posting.

I'm off to the health food shop shortly, hopefully they'll have something else that I can try, I know I have to persevere and keep trying, I'm sure I will dfind something that will suit me.

I never thought about trying herb teas etc. will see what I can find whilst out today and give something a try.

Wendy

FR

I am surprised that you can taste a soymilk "aftertaste" when only using a small amount in your tea and coffee. I personally love the taste of soymilk and never noticed anything other than a good "aftertaste". I do remember cow milk having a nasty, filmy, sour, aftertaste but that is probably because it is naturally designed for calves and humans aren't supposed to drink it anyway. I hope you find something vegan you like!

Maybe the Soya milk, Soymilk Brands, and the Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ? threads will be of some help fragrantfree.

Welllllll, I went into the health food shop and bought a very small handsize carton of organic rice milk - thumbsup! I've found my milk substitute! Should have bought a bigger carton lol

Gliondrach

So, you've tasted it? And you like it?

Quote Gliondrach
    So, you've tasted it? And you like it?
    Yep, made a cup of tea with it... I can tell it's not what I'm used to, but I like it - not tasted it neat, that might be a different outcome but not too bothered about drinking it like that

Another great dairy replacement is FLAX MEAL for eggs. It works well in baking products like cupcakes, muffins, etc.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

Gliondrach

Wendy, once you get used to rice milk you might find that you like soya, especially on cereals and porridge. It's cheaper than the rice milk.

I used to eat eggs until recently, the one's that are supposed to be cruelty free, but no more. Cheese, as of yesterday, is off my diet list too. I do like cheese a lot, but I can live without it - I have just bought some Redwood cheese (not tasted it yet though).

I'm not really a big yogurt eater but have found a subsitute for yogurt/dairy deserts which is the Alpro yogurt alternative and I really, really thought I was going to hate it, I couldn't even put the spoon in my mouth at first but I shouldn't have worried, they are lovely, especially the peach flavour, very yummy!

Onwards and upwards - I felt the dairy products were going to be the hardest to eradicate from my diet, but since I have found an alternative milk, I feel I'm on a roll

Gliondrach

That's good. There are so many people who don't realise that you don't have to give up tasty food to become vegan. Tell everyone you know about your new discoveries and you might help someone else to make a change.

We are always here to help, so if you want to know anything, just ask.

Good luck.

The Alpro yoghurts are very yummy. I wish I could find the plain in smaller tubs as it is good for making dips, but I can never eat a huge tub.

These are great, too. http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/661545.html
    Caramel is the best flavour - the others are not as good.
    You can find it in supermarkets as well as health food shops - it isn't usually in the chillers.

Swedish Glace ice cream in caramel and raspberry are superb. Vanilla wasn't so much to my liking. Supermarkets only tend to stock vanilla.

Oooo, don't tempt me with all the deserts lol I see they do the rice milk too.

When i first tried soya milk i thought "thats a bit nasty but i will have to get used to it because im vegan now". I am glad you have found a taste you like but i think you would find it easier if you didnt compare dairy to the substitutes or you may continue to be dissapointed.

It's only natural that I'm going to compare, how can I not - comparing one product against another product, whatever the products, isn't going to change how I taste something. So far, the soya milk products I have tasted have been vile and something that I would not get used to, this has nothing to do with comparing these products with other products. So, for me, it's not a case of having to get used to it because I'm vegan now, I just wouldn't have it in my diet.

I have to admit that soy milk is OK for me in cereal, but I can't really drink it (I notice the aftertaste you're talking about too). I have liked some soymilk drinks though, like the boathouse farms chai tea and silk coffee-flavored. I couldn't stand the silk (soy) creamer, but now I'm drinking Rich's non-dairy creamer in my tea. I definitely feel better off dairy though
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Fair enough. All i am saying is just dont expect the substitutes to taste like the dairy version. I am glad you have found a milk substitute you like

It is hard to change, I've been drinking dairy milk for so long now, that soya milk after taste stayed with me right through the night, but I did try and perservere with it and had it again the next morning in my tea, and tried it in coffee too, but it really made me gag - there are so many alternatives out there, I have time to try them all and in the meantime, stick with the rice milk ;o))

I tried Redwood cheddar style cheesy garlic and herb today, it was nice, tasty.

Silk Soy Creamer for coffee is great.......... better than regular milk in coffee. Meaning: regular PLAIN soy milk, or rice milk, etc.

when I was trying to go vegan and I found the taste weird in my tea (I don't drink coffee, it might be OK in that since I like silk coffee flavored milk) That's why I switched to Rich's non-dairy creamer, even though it's not as healthy as soy.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Ohhhh I see how that could be gross! I don't drink milk in tea, and i cant imagine creamer being good in it. haha.

Quote fragrantfree

I tried Redwood cheddar style cheesy garlic and herb today, it was nice, tasty.
    I have never tried the garlic and herb one. The melting one is quite nice on jacket potatoes and pizza. It stops the veg from slipping of the pizza and landing on your chin and causing second degree burns

I have never actually tried Soya or Rice milk on its own, but I do prefer Soya on my cereal as its slightly thicker. Rice is quite watery I think. Which is a shame because I wanted to reduce the amount of Soya I eat/drink.

I tried Cheezly, the one you get in supermarkets. I think its Cheddar Style.
    Probably the most disgusting thing I've ever had..!
    I'm going to buy some of the Mozzerella Cheezly when I get paid, I've been recommended that for pizzas.

And is it Tofutti who make a Philaedelphia-style cheese?

What about margarine... my usual choice is Flora, it's not for vegans though? Whats nice?

The Pure margarines are nice. They do a sunflower one which is probably closest to Flora, or a soya one that is good, too.

I've not tried the organic one, yet.

Quote fragrantfree
    What about margarine... my usual choice is Flora, it's not for vegans though? Whats nice?
    I really like Pure. You can get a soya kind, organic & a sunflower one. They are all very good. I haven't realy noticed the difference in the taste and I know that it's not harming anything so I feel good . As you are used to flora like Rob(QG) suggested to you, the sunflower one might be more like it but I'm not sure. I've forgotten what Flora tastes like to be honest with you. Hope that helps you out a bit .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Gliondrach

Unlike Rob, I put soya milk in green tea. And black tea and white tea. And in nettle, chamomile, rooibosch, mate, peppermint, and in all hot drinks.

I forgot to mention oatmilk. I actually meant that instead of the almond milk that I referred to. I've only had it once. It was quite nice in tea. It sometimes has bits of oat in it.

I usually buy the ordinary, yellow container, sunflower Pure margarine. I tried the blue container organic soya one the other day. It tasted a bit salty to me - more like butter.

Sorry, it's Bolthouse (not boathouse) Farms Perfectly Protein (which is vanilla chai tea with soy milk)

Quote Troutina
    And is it Tofutti who make a Philaedelphia-style cheese?
    They do, they make different flavours like plain, onion and others. Here is Ozstraylia mate there is a company called King Soy and they make cream cheese from soy as well, nice on bagels and sammiches. I like to stir it in pasta too.

antony bean

Gliondrach

King Soy - wasn't he king of Albania after Zog?

Quote Gliondrach
    King Soy - wasn't he king of Albania after Zog?
    Yes he was a substitue for the right royal King bovine juice

Quote abrennan
    They do, they make different flavours like plain, onion and others. Here is Ozstraylia mate there is a company called King Soy and they make cream cheese from soy as well, nice on bagels and sammiches. I like to stir it in pasta too.

antony bean
    Thankyou!
    Yeah I think I'll be buying me some of that soon!

I would be lost without Pure, its fantastic.
    The organic one was reduced to 99p in Waitrose (I work there) so it was the same price as the Sunflower one. But I didn't actually like the organic one- its too much like butter, which I never liked as vegi. Its too buttery! Yuck!

I love the blue one and much prefer it for that buttery taste.

Gliondrach

I don't like the blue one - it clashes with my kitchen's colour scheme.

Quote fragrantfree
    I love Earth Balance!! Do y'all have that over there? It's great straight on bread, and works just perfectly for converting nonvegan recipes.

Tofutti ROCKS! Their stuff is soooo good. They also have a scrumptious icecream sandwich. <----slirp slirp

I like soy milk the best. I like all of Silk's products except for the chocolate version, and that puzzles me ... how could anything vegan with chocolate in it not taste good??

I have yet to find a substitute for cheese. Bummer. The best I can do for now is make an avocado spread -- at least I can get a creamy texture that way. The cheezes I've tried thus far are like....worse than the smell of burning plastic! <-----barf (this little guy is so versatile)

btw, congrats on your decision to go vegan!

Peas -- I agree with all of your choices! Earth Balance rocks, so does Toffutti CC. Plain. I love silk products. Tofutti Cuties, the ice cream sandwiches, are so good, too!!!

I haven't found a good cheese replacement, either, yet.

Seaside

Quote abrennan
    .... sammiches.....

antony bean
    My mom is the only other person I've ever known to call them "sammiches". Only in my mind's eye I see it spelled "sammitches".

Well I bought 'Pure Sunflower' margarine today and made sandwiches... and it tasted just fine on my Vegan Nimble bread, with my Redwood Vegan turkey slices - washed down with a cup of tea using Provamel rice drink (instead of dairy milk).

With regard to cheese - I mainly do my food shopping in ASDA and they do plenty cheeses that are suitable for Vegetarians, I usually buy red liecester or double gloucester - there was no cheese specifically stating for Vegans, and a worker in the store said most Vegetarian cheeses are Vegan... I left without buying any cheese as I really didn't know which one was ok, if indeed any?

Quote fragrantfree
    there was no cheese specifically stating for Vegans, and a worker in the store said most Vegetarian cheeses are Vegan... I left without buying any cheese as I really didn't know which one was ok, if indeed any?
    Lol, she really said that. I am so glad you left without the cheese then.You will need cheese that says vegan on it. Redwoods do one which you can get in Tescos or your local Holland and barretts. Sounds like you are doing great

So far so good, just wish super markets where more accomadating, would make life so much easier lol

Pilaf

Quote fragrantfree
    Well I bought 'Pure Sunflower' margarine today and made sandwiches... and it tasted just fine on my Vegan Nimble bread, with my Redwood Vegan turkey slices - washed down with a cup of tea using Provamel rice drink (instead of dairy milk).

With regard to cheese - I mainly do my food shopping in ASDA and they do plenty cheeses that are suitable for Vegetarians, I usually buy red liecester or double gloucester - there was no cheese specifically stating for Vegans, and a worker in the store said most Vegetarian cheeses are Vegan... I left without buying any cheese as I really didn't know which one was ok, if indeed any?
    Good idea.. most Vegetarians eat normal cheese anyway.. because most Vegetarians use dairy products. That guy probably doesn't even know the meaning of the word Vegan...most non Vegans have no idea what all it means.

Fragrantfree, i have an Asda near me and i've never seen any vegan cheese in there. Sainsbury's used to do a vegan soft cheese but i think they stopped making it. the best places to get vegan cheese are Holland & Barrett and health food shops.

LOL i've heard people who work in supermarkets say that if it's vegetarian it must be vegan.

Peas, i don't think Earth Balance is available in the UK. and we don't get anywhere near the range of Tofutti products you guys do in the US - you have loads of great-sounding products i've never seen here. ice-cream sandwich????!!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yes, it's awesome. I ran to the store earlier today and just discovered that Toffuti has more than one kind of ice-cream sandwich! There must have been like five different choices or something...of just the ice-cream sandwich flavors! I couldn't believe it. And right across the isle was Newman O's oreo cookies...oh, my goodness. I'm gaining way too much weight. (But why can't I get cheeze??)

*sigh* good thing I'm working in more raw foods now...

Hmmmmm - even though we get the same brands up in Canada - it seems you get a lot more variety within those brands in the States.

Up here, I have only seen one flavour of Silk non-dairy creamer. Yet I have seen someone from the USA post that they have had a hazlenut flavoured one.

Also - I have only seen those Toffuti ice-cream sandwiches in one flavour.

Amy's products also seem to have more variety in the USA.

I wonder why that is.

ive seen a few flavours in the toffuti ice-cream sandwiches, and i think also a couple flavours in the silk non dairy creamer aswell. aswell as alot of amys products. but i notice too that the US has more variety. i think its all about product demand.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I don't think it's just a US vs. Canada thing...I live in a very small (and hugely carnivorous) town and can't find much of anything, but when I visit certain cities not too far away, I can find tons more stuff

I heard Austin (Texas) has even better choices in grocery stores and restaurants than here in Houston, and that there are more veg*ns there. I reckon it is supply 'n demand.

We don't get any fancy vegan ice creams!!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion