Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Instead of dairy products

Default Re: Dairy substitutes

I use Rice Milk or a Multigrain milk on my cereal. Its nutty undertones work very well with cereal (like kashi puffs!!!) I love soyyogurt. _some_ vegan cheeses. and carob/nog/ flavored soymilk.

http://www.silkissoy.com/Products/SilkCreamer.aspx
    there are some coffee creamers you should try.

Quote xwitchymagicx
    We don't get any fancy vegan ice creams!!

http://www.tastethedream.com/pages/p.../tea_dream.php
    are soooooooooooooo freaking delicious!!!!!!!!!!11

Silk makes some tastey 'icecreams' as well.

oh yeah, speaking of tofutti

the "new" product on their homepage : http://www.tofutti.com/

CreamSicles!! I have a box of em

I'll eat some for you euros

We get those in the Uk too. I didn't like them, neither did my daughter. I bought some last summer and they are still in the freezer! We also tried the Rock n Roll cones, and didn't like them much either. Haven't tried the Cuties yet. I much prefer Swedish Glace Icecream to Tofutti, although I've only ever seen it in tubs. Swedish Glace Caramel Icecream Rocks
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

Yep we sure do have then here. I dont like toffuti ice cream either so i have never been tempted to buy the kids lolly things.
    I hope you enjoy them though Troub

I like the toffuti cuties, but not the tubs of ice cream. My daughter loves all the soy ice creams, though. In the summer, I use an ice cream maker and make home made soy ice cream, and it rocks!

For anyone who drinks coffee, vanilla soy milk is a great treat. I use it with no sugar added to the coffee and it gives the coffee a nice vanilla taste with a touch of sweetness. It also turns regular black tea into vanilla tea. So yummy.

I use Eden Soy organic soy milk (the light vanilla rocks!). A lot of the organic soy beans that they use are grown in Michigan close to where I live, and the headquarters is *very* close to where I live (Clinton, MI).

Quote RockyRaccoon
    We get those in the Uk too. I didn't like them, neither did my daughter. I bought some last summer and they are still in the freezer! We also tried the Rock n Roll cones, and didn't like them much either. Haven't tried the Cuties yet. I much prefer Swedish Glace Icecream to Tofutti, although I've only ever seen it in tubs. Swedish Glace Caramel Icecream Rocks
    Raspberry is my favourite Swedish Glace - tastes like Raspberry Angel Delight. The swedish glace choc ice on a stick things are nice, too. The chocolate is quite thin (which makes them feel a bit cheap) but they are nice. I bought them in Sainsbury once, but haven't seen them there again. Health food shops stock them though.

Quote fragrantfree
    I'm trying to become a vegan, done a lot of reading, trying to educate myself - I've started with removing dairy products... milk.

So far, I have tried 'sogood' soya milk which was vile and 'alpro' soya sweetened milk, and although alpro seems to be slightly better than the 'sogood' it's vile too. In fact, it made me feel quite sickly. Soya milk seems to have an after taste - can anyone recommend a milk substitute without an obvious after taste?

I can do without drinking milk neat, I can drink water - I can do with out having it on cereal, I can eat cereal dry - but I do like milk in tea and coffee, I'm not a black tea or coffee drinker.

Wendy
    I had the same when I went vegan. I tried all the soya milks I could find and it turned out that Alpro Sweetened with calcium and vitamins ( the UHT kind not the kind in the fridge) tasted best or me and my friend who cut out milk with me. White Wave is ok too. You'll just have to try them all until you find one you like. Now I have got used to soya milk the taste of cows milk makes me want to puke. Sometimes my Mum forgets when I visit her and puts cows milk in my tea, and I have to stop myself spitting it out all over the floor! It tastes rancid, which it probably is.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote KarmaGirl
    I like the toffuti cuties, but not the tubs of ice cream. My daughter loves all the soy ice creams, though. In the summer, I use an ice cream maker and make home made soy ice cream, and it rocks!

For anyone who drinks coffee, vanilla soy milk is a great treat. I use it with no sugar added to the coffee and it gives the coffee a nice vanilla taste with a touch of sweetness. It also turns regular black tea into vanilla tea. So yummy.

I use Eden Soy organic soy milk (the light vanilla rocks!). A lot of the organic soy beans that they use are grown in Michigan close to where I live, and the headquarters is *very* close to where I live (Clinton, MI).
    No, no, not vanilla----CHOCOLATE.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I have a problem with chocolate...is there a chocoholics anonymous? It's a total trigger food. I could eat it all day. I was doomed the day that I figured out how to make vegan no-bake cookies. I blame chocolate for my fat butt.

Quote Rob(QG)
    The Pure margarines are nice. They do a sunflower one which is probably closest to Flora, or a soya one that is good, too.

I've not tried the organic one, yet.
    They are all nice. They come in 3 colours, the organic one is blue. I don't think the organic one has added vitamins.

They have a web site

http://www.purespreads.com/home.asp

competitions, Q&As, recipes etc.

Does anyone know if they are owned by Bernard Matthews Foods?

I also like Suma margarine which is vegan too. And Granose margarine. There are a few which are only available in health food stores.

Quote Pilaf
    Good idea.. most Vegetarians eat normal cheese anyway.. because most Vegetarians use dairy products. That guy probably doesn't even know the meaning of the word Vegan...most non Vegans have no idea what all it means.
    Vegetarians should only eat vegetarian cheese, that made with NON animal rennet. The usual source of rennet is the stomach of slaughtered newly-born calves.
    Vegetarian cheeses are manufactured using rennet from either fungal or bacterial sources.
    Vegetarian cheese is made with animal milk, usually cow but sometimes sheep or goat.
    ***Vegan*** cheese is made with soya or nut milk, usually soya milk. Hope this clears the matter up!

I love the Eden's Vanilla and Chocolate milks, Tofutti Cuties (ooohhh the peanut butter), Silk Soynog, grrrrrr anything chocolate actually. Well almost anything chocolate. I have to count the calories in a lot of soy milks though an awful lot of sweetener in some. So a lot of them get stuck in the 'dessert' category. I try to stick to 'lite' unflavoured soy or rice milks for cereal and such. I use Earth Balance for butter/margarine. It has a really good taste.

Earth Balance is very nice. It's doesn't try too hard to taste buttery, which I really like.

I agree. It just has a smooth creamy taste to it. I never liked real butter, so why would I want something that tasted like it?

Jane M, you are right about the calories. I drink the "lite" and my daughter and hubby drink the regular since they can have the extra calories. I do, however, like to make a chocolate raspberry smoothie using the full calorie chocolate. Yummmmm.....

I tend to use Alpro on cereal, in tea and coffee etc. I don't really drink it neat though. When I first started to use it, the aftertaste reminded me of the gum you get on envelopes that you have to lick.
    I tried sogood, but thought it tasted vile.

Alpro yogurts are nice, and my mum's dog can't taste the difference between Alpro and dairy yogurts, but he wont touch the milk. (unless of course it's the oy strawberry milkshake)

All vegan cheese I have so far tasted was vile.

Alpro yoghurts are yummy - not that there is a huge choice of makes of vegan yoghurts.
    There are some really rank snot-like yoghurty things that are longlife, rather than chilled - avoid at all costs!

I still only like the one type of soya milk - though it is available under different supermarket own brands. It's basically the cheapest one, with no sweetners or flavourings.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

princessemma

I adore 'so good' and think it's 100 times better than any of the others I've tried that all seem to leave a slightly nasty aftertaste. My hubbie likes supermarket cheapies. Our daughter is terrific she'll drink any of them but we tend to give her 'so good' because of the added vitamins. 'so good' is very sweet and therefore no good for adding to mashed potatoes or making savory sauces with but as far as tea and cereal go it's tops. But that's just my opinion.

I usually drink Morrisons or Tescos own brands, or alpro uht, all sweetened, which I love to use in everything or just to drink straight, but I hate the unsweetened stuff, I've had to throw out loads because I can't bear to touch the stuff. I've tried loads of different brands but hopefully I'll find one I like because I really want to start cutting down on sugar.

Soy milk in coffee is absolutely delicious. As a non-vegan, I hated the taste of milk in coffee, so I always had it black. But since going vegan, I tried my coffee with soy milk, and it's devine. It has a smoother, sweeter, almost vanilla-y taste (even the plain sweetened ones do IMO). I find it good in teas too but I like my teas black now with a touch of sugar.

To avoid curdling, add the soy milk before the coffee/tea, and microwave for at least 20 seconds and then add the coffee/tea. If you're anti-mircowave, you can heat it up on the stove.

Does that work w/ the Silk creamer as well? I bought some the other day and when I added it to my hot coffee...it curdled! eeewwww...I threw the carton out cause I thought it was bad...was I wrong?
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

I never had Silk Creamer, but I'm sure it would work if your creamer curdled.

Thanks doll

Is it worth trying, the Silk creamer? I was about to pick up a carton today but I was unsure. I never tried dairy creamer before.

To me, it had the same exact consistency as soy milk...ya know? it wasnt thick like "creamer" should be. I dont know tho, I never actually tasted it. Hopefully Roxy can tell us! She has it every day

Oh yeah. I should raid her PM inbox right now.

I ususally put vanilla soymilk in my teas and cereals and then I drink chocolate soymilk with my meals depending on what I am eating. I usually buy Silk soymilk because it's a lot smoother than others that I have tried. I've tried drink soymilk from that natural foods section at stop and shop, and it had a chalky flavor to me and didn't care for it too much. I really like using Silk soymilk though, I would recommend that if you can get your hands on it.

I saw a commercial for silk the other day.
    It was amazing to finally see something like that being advertised on TV.

FR

Hmmm... subsitutes? Does calf food need to be substituted? I know a lot of folks call things like plant milk subsitutes but I think they are stand alone products.

FR

Quote Troub
    I saw a commercial for silk the other day.
    It was amazing to finally see something like that being advertised on TV.
    I saw it twice. Once during a football game.

Quote strawberry
    Does that work w/ the Silk creamer as well? I bought some the other day and when I added it to my hot coffee...it curdled! eeewwww...I threw the carton out cause I thought it was bad...was I wrong?
    I drink the silk creamer almost daily, and it will occasionally get a little "flaky" in my tea/coffee. Nothing like huge curds or anything, it kind of looks like that gross dried milk that gets around the cow milk carton and falls in?

OK, that thought was enough to make me puke! But anyway, as long as it was just a little, I think it is normal. Sometimes i try to spoon it out, but it just happens again, other times i just give it a swirl and drink. I don't notice it all the time though, it is pretty rare.

Quote Roxy
    Hmmmmm - even though we get the same brands up in Canada - it seems you get a lot more variety within those brands in the States.

Up here, I have only seen one flavour of Silk non-dairy creamer. Yet I have seen someone from the USA post that they have had a hazlenut flavoured one.

Also - I have only seen those Toffuti ice-cream sandwiches in one flavour.

Amy's products also seem to have more variety in the USA.

I wonder why that is.
    I know it sucks, but I think we get a larger variety of products in the US verses Canada because they are mostly made by american companies and mostly made right here too.

We have 3 flavors of Silk creamer - Hazelnut, Vanilla and Plain

Silk is now available everywhere in the US because it is being distributed by Deans Foods - the #1 cow dairy distributer in the US. They purchased White Wave, allthough they are still being run independently...I am not sure about that. It sounds BAD, but obviously it is making them more popular and more available.

Default Re: Instead of dairy products

I'm in Canada - I use Silk creamer daily......plain.....but I wish I could find vanilla flavored!!

Chocolate almond milk is quite good. I find rice milk too runny for my liking but vanilla flavored is ok on cereal.
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

princessemma

I found rice milk too watery as well. I've yet to taste almond milk but I've heard good things about it.
    Oh and for those of you who like to drink soya milk and/or almond milk have it in between meals, not with them. Calcium which is found in soya milk and almonds 'fights' with Iron so if you have them together one or other is not absorbed very well (or so my dietician said). Ideally drink fruit juice (because vitamin C aids Iron absorbtion) with meals and soya or almond milk in between.

Ohh that is good to know Princess! I always drink a little water with meals anyway. I love soy milk for snacks between meals and before bed and now I have a good reason! Need my calcium, right?

I am planning to buy this. Well worth it.

http://www.keimling.de/SiteAssistant...ean_/36-2-1434

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

a didgeridoo

Very interesting what you say about soya milk in coffee, Tigerlily. I’ve always drunk my coffee black because even as a veggie I always hated milk (in fact I used to refuse to drink it as a child). I think the reason I haven’t been tempted to try coffee with soy milk is that I was thinking of that as a substitute for cow’s milk – but FR is spot on to say that these things aren’t substitutes – they’re just different products altogether. Maybe I’ll give a soya latte a go sometime…

Soy milk in coffee with YUM, try it, Lex. It's nothing like cow's milk.

FR

Quote Kiran
    I am planning to buy this. Well worth it.

http://www.keimling.de/SiteAssistant...ean_/36-2-1434

Cool site.

Thanks Wildflower....yeah there werent huge curds..just little flakes..thanks for clarfying for me

Seaside

Instead of dairy products, there is almond milk, hazelnut milk, oat milk, multi-grain milk! I don't mind soy or rice milk, but these are my favorites! There is nothing better to make hot cocoa with than hazelnut milk.

There is nothing better to make hot cocoa with than hazelnut milk.
    Ooh, I'm going to try this when I finally crack and eat sugar again. I've had my eye on the Green & Blacks hot chocolate for a while. Choose not to drink soy milk and don't like it with rice milk. Hazelnut milk sounds good. I haven't seen it around but then again, I haven't looked.

princessemma

I can get a hold of almond milk but cashew or hazelnut milk I suppose I could make my own I think one of my cookbooks has a recipie there is one for cashew cream as well yum.

ConsciousCuisine

Cashew cream is AMAZING!!!

fragrantfree, way to go!

I gave up dairy just after Christmas 2005, and it gets easier. After a while the moo juice will start to taste funny just like the soy milk did at first. You won't miss it. I tasted some yoghurt this weekend to see if I felt differently about it now and the "animal" aftertaste almost made me gag, much like the nutty-silly-putty flavor of soy did at first. Success!

Like people said, don't be afraid to try different types of milk for different purposes. For example, I really don't like soymilk in my coffee - much prefer almond or hazelnut milk for that purpose. I dislike rice milk for all purposes, it's doesn't have much protein and seems to be too starchy for me.

Also, make a conscious effort not become too dependent on soy. I try to make a couple days a week "soy free" so that I can have a more balanced diet and not get stuck in a rut. I think it has the added benefit of helping me keep my caloric intake down a bit.

If you are craving ice cream, you can beat it by partially freezing a couple of peeled bananas and putting a bit of rum or chocolate on top. I find that it helps me with that "creamy" craving and the bananas are way more satisfying than ice cream. I made a batch of marzipan a few weeks ago and have been putting bits of that on my bananas with some chocolate. You could use almond butter with a bit of sugar too. I'm getting hungry for it just writing this.

I don't know if you guys get StoneyField products up there in the UK but they make a yoghurt called O' Soy! which is just so freaking delicous. I let myself have on every day, citing the beneficial bacteria which can be helpful to fiberful tummies. Hehehe. Also my favorite soymilk is SunSoy vanilla. I only saw it in New Mexico before but now it is in the el' cheapo store in town. I don't care for tofutti much, too oily (though I do upon occasiion mix it in some rasberry sorbet). I do like tofutti cuties and before I gave up on caffeine I ate Soy Delcious green tea icecream. We also have a couple of good fake cheeses here. Well, the Mozzarella is good but the cheddar tastes bad like the way cheddar tastes bad. Sorry I can't remember what they are called because I have been making my own cheese lately. I'll give anyone the recipe if they like! It is totally vegan.

Sure Haniska, I'd love to see the recipe! I'm looking for something that slices and melts up nicely.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote grail
    Also, make a conscious effort not become too dependent on soy. I try to make a couple days a week "soy free" so that I can have a more balanced diet and not get stuck in a rut.
    I do this as well. I tend to go in "waves" and a while back I had a time where I was INTENSELY craving tofu, tempeh, soymilk...so I gave in and now am in the "no tofu or tempeh in the house" stage I'm eating seitan these last few days, making it fresh and enjoying it (my daughter woke up to the smell of simmering seitan yesterday and had a large bowl of it for breakfast ).

I have been greatly limiting soy products since I found out about all the adverse effects of soy. Soy products are delicious, but I have been substituting them with other ones. I loved my Silk soymilk, but now I'm drinking almond milk (which is just as good, though I liked the extra nutrients and protein in soymilk). Next time I want "ice-cream", I'll try the rice "ice-cream"! I try to eat tofu/tempeh/soy products only 2-3 times a month. I'm not that worried about tiny amounts of soy in some foods.

Has anyone tried the rice ice-cream (I think it's Rice Dream)...is it good? What's your favorite flavor?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

ConsciousCuisine

Quote DancingWillow
    Has anyone tried the rice ice-cream (I think it's Rice Dream)...is it good? What's your favorite flavor?
    Sweetie, if it's vegan and in the US, I have eaten it! I had a Rice Dream ice cream cookie sandwich yesterday. It was GOOD! If you can find them, eat the chocolate covered bars. They are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! (Lots of fat in 'em though, an occasional treat).