Thread: Group Condemns Chicken Choking Toy

Seaside

Angry Group Condemns Chicken Choking Toy

Group Condemns Chicken Choking Toy
    October 18, 2005 3:50 PM EDT

SYDNEY, Australia - A chicken toy that squawks and flaps its wings when strangled is "grossly irresponsible" and sends the wrong message to young children, a spokesman for a leading animal welfare group said Tuesday.

The toy is manufactured by a Taiwanese company and is widely available in toy and electronics stores across Australia. It is marketed for children over 3.

A product description on the Web site of Jaycar Electronics, a major Australian importer of toy, says: "Grab him by the neck and he will squawk and cluck like mad, flapping his wings and feet wildly as if he is really being choked."

But Michael Beatty, a spokesman for the Queensland state branch of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said the toy was "grossly irresponsible" and sent the wrong message to young children.

"What's next? Burn a cat? Shoot a dog?" Beatty said. "Children of that age are likely to turn around and try the same thing on their pet bird or even the cat or dog. Then they're going to wonder why the animal fights back."

Jaycar's Managing Director Gary Johnstone said he was "amused and mystified" by the RSPCA's response.

"I would have thought they would have better things to do like saving real animals from cruelty," Johnstone said. "This is a toy that is used to relieve stress, it's meant to be a bit of a giggle."
    Stress relief????

Default Re: Group Condemns Chicken Choking Toy

What the hell is wrong with people?

cross barer

I want a CEO strangling toy, that screams and begs for mercy when you throttle it.

ETA: Seaside what is the source of the article (so we can respond)?

Seaside

Go here and search for "Choke - A - Chicken" to see the product listing. It is catalogue # GT3095.

Here are Jaycar Electronics' address and phone number:

100 Silverwater Road
    Silverwater 2128 NSW
    Australia

Tel: 02 9741 8555

Seaside

The article itself was from Earthlink news, in the Strange news section.

I will certainly be writing to Jaycar.

I just saw this sicko toy on the news and when the interviews had finished and it went back to the dickhead newsreader, he had a big smile on his face. What can you expect on 7.

Gliondrach

I would like to see a Hang-A-Vivisectionist toy. It could consist of a man or woman doll and a small gallows with a working trapdoor. Or, there could be a vivisection laboratory toy, in which the tables are turned and lab animals experiment on the scientists. It could be aimed at children over the age of 5. Or, a Hunting-The-Hunters game. This could be a video game, in which hunters are shot by animals - like that scene in Crocodile Dundee, when it appeared that kangaroos were shooting at the hunters. Children would really love these games. Would anyone like to go into business with me to produce these?

Follow me here - I'm not joking.

I have a true fondness for rubber chickens. My sister gave me one once after receiving it as a gag gift. I brought it to work in the critical care unit at the hospital where it soon became our mascot. Over the years I received other rubber chicken items.
    When a patient was doing poorly and we thought we were losing them, someone would always yell "Diane, get the chicken!" Thank goodness we worked night shift and the supervisors had a sense of humor. We would hang the chicken in the doorway of the patient's room. Okay, it didn't save everyone but we believed it had some magic. We even had patient's families believing it (and some doctors). There's nothing like having your son in the ICU for weeks, slowly circling the drain, then coming in one afternoon to your son getting better - and having his nurse point to the chicken over his bed when you ask "how?" (We had rubber chicken keyrings to hang in inconspicuous places for the non-believers).

So, I am VERY upset about this new toy. (Not to mention that there is a whole sexual connotation to the "choke your chicken" phrase, very innapropriate for the kiddies). Well, thanks for the memories.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Gliondrach
    I would like to see a Hang-A-Vivisectionist toy. It could consist of a man or woman doll and a small gallows with a working trapdoor. Or, there could be a vivisection laboratory toy, in which the tables are turned and lab animals experiment on the scientists. It could be aimed at children over the age of 5. Or, a Hunting-The-Hunters game. This could be a video game, in which hunters are shot by animals - like that scene in Crocodile Dundee, when it appeared that kangaroos were shooting at the hunters. Children would really love these games. Would anyone like to go into business with me to produce these?
    I love you
    "It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions" - Mark Twain