Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Vegan dinner ideas

RubyDuby

Default Re: Vegan dinner ideas (2)

those sound delicious!

never thought of putting roasted potatoes on a sandwich. must try that!
    (then again i'm not british... always thought 'chip butties' sounded terrible but for some reason this sounds different... hmmm)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Just grilling up the veggies works super as well!!! You'd be surprised how tasty a slice grilled or roasted potato can be on a sandwich!!

Jippia

Tonight I am going to keep it simple: I will pan-fry one aubergine/egg plant, one courgette/zucchini, one or two onions and some gloves of garlic and serve that with some boiled potatoes. I think I am going to serve my husband a veggie burger and myself some tempeh.

Tonight I am having Hot Buffalo Tofu 'Wangs' and Marinated Raw Kale.
    This dish is one of my favorites. Here is the link to my e-cookbook:
    Quick & Easy Vegetarian Recipes To Heal Your Body, where you can find these recipes.

Monique
    www.easyvegetarian.blogspot.com

hehehehe

"wang"

hehehehe

Vegan beans and weenies. Not healthy, really, as it's just beans, but it's good!
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default Re: Vegan dinner ideas

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I'm lazy this weekend.

I went out to an Indian place last night and am going to a Lebanese restaurant this afternoon ^ ^
    i went to an all you can eat indian last thursday and ate a discusting amount of food! it was delicious(even tho i couldnt move after)

I just went and did our weekly shop and this is what we are having all week:

- SATURDAY: stir-fried veggies with brown rice
    - SUNDAY: stir fried veggies with brown rice
    - MONDAY: pumpkin soup w/ bread
    - TUESDAY: pumpkin soup w/ bread
    - WEDNESDAY - FRIDAY: the leftover wholemeal penne with lentil bolognaise that I put in the freezer

We tend to eat the same thing a couple of times in a row coz then I don't have to cook everyday

Sometimes I make enough chilli for 2 days then 1 day have it with brown rice the next day with baked potatoes, its not like having the same meal 2 days running.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Sometimes I make enough chilli for 2 days then 1 day have it with brown rice the next day with baked potatoes, its not like having the same meal 2 days running.
    sneaky

Main:
    Smoked tofu stir fried with onion, thai curry paste, coconut milk and smooth cashew nut butter. Add some strips of veg for flash frying at the last minute - I add my garlic and ginger at this stage so it's nice and pungent. Serve with rice or buckwheat noodles sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Pud:
    Heat up a frying pan, add some margarine and a heap of brown sugar. Allow to caramelise. Add some chopped banana & a hint of cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg. Next add good slug of brandy, whisky or a liquor of your choice. (Ardbeg, Benromach & Lafroig are good - I have also used Dwersteg Amaretto!!) When its bubbling again burn off the alcohol (if you have long hair make sure its tied back!). Serve with something like soya too whipping cream. It takes minutes and will impress the guests.
    Last edited by jonnie falafel; Nov 4th, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
    No guru, no method, no teacher

Don't you find you get obsessed with certain things - currently I am obsessed with potato waffles, Baxters carrot and butter bean soup and tofu, in a months time I will get bored of it and will probably like thai green curry
    Silent but deadly :p

Potato waffles are really nice and they are handy to keep in the freezer.
    I like them with baked beans and frozen spinach, yesterday I had 2 waffles, 3 fishless, fingers, some spinach and a tin of beans for dinner.
    They would also go nice with an all day breakfast- fried tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages or cheatin whatsit, scambled tofu and beans.
    Last edited by herbwormwood; Nov 5th, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Edit this is a weekday "lazy" dinner!

i haven't had potato waffles for years...suddenly i have a craving. potato waffles and baked beans - oh my!

amanda

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Don't you find you get obsessed with certain things - currently I am obsessed with potato waffles, Baxters carrot and butter bean soup and tofu, in a months time I will get bored of it and will probably like thai green curry
    I'm just the same, currently I am obsessed with fry's sausages and black olives. Not together mind you.

Fry's sausages, baked beans, mushrooms and hash browns

Black olives in spaghetti with a tomato and veggie sauce or on a pizza .. or straight out of the jar

My last obsession was vegemince in a spaghetti bolognese or chilli but I ate so much I can barely bring myself to eat it now
    Last edited by Linxie; Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Too many spelling mistakes :)

Quote flying plum View Post
    i haven't had potato waffles for years...suddenly i have a craving. potato waffles and baked beans - oh my!

amanda
    They won't be as good as you remember, lol!
    Every few years i get a craving and buy a packet thinking 'Great, waffles, am sure they're gonna taste brilliant' and i'm always let down when i eat them and realise they're just cheap convenience food!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

of course they are cheap convenience food, that's the fun bit i used to get them a lot when i was a kid so you're probably right - they wouldn't be as good as i remember from back then.

tempting to find out though. the list of 'things i must eat when i get back to the UK' is growning longer by the day!

amanda

You have to cook them right, put them in a hot pan with a mall amount of oil and make sure they are crispy but not overdone! Mmmm!

tonight i'm gonna have scrambled tofu in a pita, can't wait

Last night was sesame tofu with broccoli. The night before was coconut milk green curry w/ tofu, broccoli, carrots, onions, and bean sprouts over jasmine rice. Tonight is pancakes with "sausage"!

Tonight I was going to make a yummy potato soup, but instead of buying plain soymilk I stupidly bought the vanilla flavored at the store yesterday. So now I'm going to have a baked potato topped with some guacamole I made yesterday and a yummy green, leafy salad topped with some nooch.

Jippia

Tonight it was pan-fried potatoes, boiled broccoli and peanut sauce. A vegan burger (Taifun) for me and a vegetarian one for my husband.

BlackCats

I made a nut roast yesterday. I just got the recipe from the internet. I added a spoonful of marmite also. I bought nuts that were already chopped. (I just saw that it is supposed to make four portions but I ate it all up for lunch and dinner yesterday.)

The quantities given here will make four generous portions.

• Oil for frying
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 4 - 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
    • 1¼ cups (10 fl oz, 300 ml) vegetable stock (or water)
    • 1½ cups (6 oz, 175 g) finely chopped nuts
    • 3 cups (6 oz, 175 g) breadcrumbs
    • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
    • ½ tsp. dried herbs
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • Flour for coating
    • Oil for roasting
    Oven: Pre-heat to 375F, 190C.
    Stew the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for a few more minutes.
    Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir well. Add the stock or water, stirring all the time. Bring the mixture to the boil, and simmer slowly for two or three minutes. Stir in the nuts, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, herbs and seasoning.
    Turn the mixture on to a floured board, and form a loaf shape with your hands. Coat evenly with flour on all sides.
    Heat the oil in a roasting tin. Place the loaf in the tin. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, basting occasionally.

I'm going to make lentil burgers tonight and have them with cherry tomatoes and lettuce in wholemeal pitta bread. I saw a sauce which you can make by just combining and heating passata with creamed coconut so I might make that to put on top of the burgers.:smile:

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Yes! I really don't mind eating the same things over and over, esp. as I shop and cook for myself so I often make more than enough for a few meals.

For a while I would make peanut sauce and have it on veggies and tempeh atleast once or twice a week but now I'm a bit over that and I've been steaming broccoli and greens beans, frying some onions, mushies and red capsicum and then mixing in some vegan oyster sauce and having that with brown rice or rice noodles, yum!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Cedar, that nut roast sounds delicious!

Tonight we made quesadillas. I cooked up some onions, tomato, capsicum, mushies and zucchini. I put a soft tortilla in the pan, added Cheezly and the veggie mix to half of the tortilla and then folded it over, yum!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

BlackCats

^ They sound lovely Kitteh.

I saw this recipe today. I'm going to make these tomorrow for dinner.

Stuffed Aubergines:

2 aubergines,
    1 tbsp oil,
    2 onions chopped,
    2 cloves of crushed garlic,
    175g mushrooms chopped,
    4 tomatoes chopped,
    75g w/m breadcrumbs,
    1 tbsp dried parsley,
    1 tsp lemon juice,
    Salt and black pepper.

Prick aubergine skins and bake them for 30 mins at 180c.
    Take out of oven, cut them lengthways, scoop out flesh and put flesh in bowl so you are left with the aubergine shells.
    Fry onions, garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes in the oil.
    Add aubergine flesh, breadcrumbs, salt and black pepper, lemon juice and parsley.
    Fill aubergine shells with mixture.
    Oven for 20-25 minutes.

I thought you could cook some veggie mince and put that with the mixture if you wanted.

You could also put melting vegan cheese on top and grill after taking them out of the oven.

Tonight I had a crispy salad topped with fresh avocado and drizzled with cider vinegar. On top of this I also put a nice warm helping of curried *chickpea salad.

*To make simply throw all this in a pan:
    1/2 medium onion, minced , 1/2 bell pepper, minced, 1 teaspoon good curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon cumin , 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas , 1/4 cup okara or silken tofu, mashed well, 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat for a couple of minutes and serve.

It was so delicious that I'm having it again tomorrow.

RubyDuby

that sounds yummmmy^

crunchy taco shells filled with tvp or beans mixed with taco seasoning, topped with lettuce and salsa. It's so quick easy and yummy we have it all the time now.

Stirfry is in my near future. Super easy and pretty much the only thing I'll cook besides oatmeal lol. Btw Rubes, since we live in the same area, can you recommend any good stirfry sauces?

RubyDuby

I know it seems un-vegan, but I can't remember the last time I had stir fry! When I cook up greens it's usually just in ginger and soy sauce. I guess you should be recommending good sauces to me!

Haha. Well, I guess I'll check out some sauces at the store and get back to you.

I should have taken a picture of this because it looked so good!! I made the most amazing vegan lunch! My co-workers were even eying with lust!! I took two slices of fresh whole grain bread and topped it with veganaise, vegan honey mustard (made with agave), sliced red onions, sliced roma tomatoes, piled on baby spinach leaves, shredded carrots, avocado slices and "fakin bacon" made from tempeh. I piled all the veggies up pretty high. I ate this with a side of fresh strawberries and blueberries. I would highly recommend this for lunch! Soooooo good!!!
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

Cream of vegetable soup.

1 can coconut milk
    some veg stock
    onions
    garlic
    potatoes
    favourite veggies
    salt
    pepper
    cayenne pepper

yum yum

p.s.; you can make any kind of stir fry yummy with coconut milk.. just get a pot, saute some onions and garlic, add some coconut milk, mix in some peanut butter and whatever veggies you like (I like to put in cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, and whatever is in my fridge). Add some chilis and spices, pour the veggies and sauce over some rice or rice noodles... to diiiie for

AG

I love Uncle Bens Thai chilli sauce with tofu and rice.

Thanks everyone! I've been eating a lot of Thai food lately, so I'll have to try out some new homemade versions.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

One thing i'm loving at the moment is polenta with pesto and vegan parmesan mixed in

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Thanks everyone! I've been eating a lot of Thai food lately, so I'll have to try out some new homemade versions.
    Cozy Thai?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Yep!! Omg, best place at school ever! Do you two go there?

Yea, we go there often.
    I am surprised we still have not managed to get together at some point for dinner at Mad Mex, Cozy Thai, etc...
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Blueberries View Post
    One thing i'm loving at the moment is polenta with pesto and vegan parmesan mixed in
    I was on a serious polenta kick for a few months recently. Cutting it into strips and dusting it with paprika and cayenne chili powder, roasting it with olive oil, then eating it with onion hummus. Damn, I'm going to have to buy some later.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I've never had polenta...perhaps i will try it sometime....what is it comparable to?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

dense, bland corn bread.

^ awesome. haha I love me some bland food! i'm going to give it a whirl the way barry makes it.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    dense, bland corn bread.
    Not a fan then I take it!

^ awesome. haha I love me some bland food! i'm going to give it a whirl the way barry makes it.
    Yeah, both me and the SO love it done like that, roast the crap out of it so it gets good and crispy.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

BlackCats

I'm making guacamole tomorrow as I bought a new pestle and mortar the other day. I'm having it with raw vegetables, pitta bread and tortilla chips.

Quote Barry View Post
    Yeah, both me and the SO love it done like that, roast the crap out of it so it gets good and crispy.
    I really liked polenta the first time I made it but the time after I think it wasn't cooked enough. I never thought to put oil on it so maybe I will try that. The first time it was all crispy and I had it with salsa to liven it up.

i want to go get some now!!!!

RubyDuby

I like polenta! Am I wrong with the description??

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Yea, we go there often.
    I am surprised we still have not managed to get together at some point for dinner at Mad Mex, Cozy Thai, etc...
    I don't live up there anymore. I'm on medical leave. Should be back in the fall, though!