Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan meals to bring to others' parties

Default Re: Husband is having a work BBQ...HELP!

Sorry it's "Tabouleh" or "Tabouli", my bad.
    Here ya go http://food.lizsteinberg.com/2009/04...parsley-salad/
    i used cous cous instead of the bulgar wheat though, i think i had to use 2 dry cups of cous cous though instead of one or something, still it's quicker and easier and still yum.

A bean salad might be good as well - most people seem to like those and it would give you something to get your teeth into yourself. I don't have an actual recipe but this one looks quite nice:

http://liveitupvegan.blogspot.com/20...ean-salad.html

That's a good idea too harpy. I like to turn up to bbq's with a trio of tabouli bean and pasta salads. I used to do that even before i was vegan as there's always plenty of meat at these shin-digs. That way i get a good variety and others get some real food into em as well

Hummus with pita!

Frankly, this always annoys me. I need more than a side dish to eat at a function, especially when everyone eats off of my dish, and I get nothing from anyone else's. I have to bring a triple sizeed portion to feed myself and everyone else! It is no "pot luck" for me because there is rarely any luck with anyone else's dish.

I could make good suggestions for what to bring, but frankly, if this was happening to me this week, I would half-ass-it. I would show up with chips. But I would have gone to a good restaurant just before and pre-eaten. Then I would make a point to tell folks how good that food was. How it was better than the BBQ. And get all passive aggressive. Oh the fun.

But that's the worst of me talking. That's not what you *should* do. But it doesn't hurt to dream on occasion.

My best self suggests you bring hummos, tabulli, some falafel balls, and some pita. Then you can have a make-your-own falafel station. Good luck!
    context is everything

What would annoy me is the wives being asked to bring side-dishes - why can't the blighters take their own, and why are they all men anyway? However a partner's work do may not be the moment to fight the good fight

Sorry guys, I'm fairly new here. My husband is in the military, which is why it's mostly men. The guys are about to go down range this year and it's sort of a goodbye BBQ.

I do love all your suggestions! Thanks for helping me out. I'm 3 months into my vegan lifestyle and have yet to go to one of these functions.

Harpy, the bean salad looks delicious and very simple! Thank you so much for the link! I'm loving the tabouleh, I just want to eat the pictues

^ This does change things.

I responded as if it was a potluck in my life... where it is a no-big-deal event like the Holiday party. No one is leaving, it's just a party where everyone eats what I brought as well as their own, and I eat just what I bring. I leave hungry and a bit poorer.

But bringing falafel with hummus and tabuli will do you well.
    context is everything

I'm sorry I should have given more info. I'm still getting used to the forum. I really do appreciate all the advice!

That's different then, thanks for explaining.

I hope you all have a good time - make sure you put some of your food on one side for yourself before everyone else eats it up

What about bringing a box full of jacket potatoes baked in silver foil that can be heated up in the bbq ashes?