Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan meals to bring to others' parties

Default last minute appetizer ideas?

I am going to a New Year's Eve party with a houseful of carnivorous friends... I plan to bring some sort of vegan appetizer, but need some ideas to help others (besides only me) to eat the stuff! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Carrot sticks/celery sticks w/ hummus or make a french onion dip using vegan sour cream

Get some phyllo dough and stuff w/ sauteed veggies, seal w/ water and bake

crackers spread w/ different vegan cream cheeses and topped w/ sliced cucumber, red pepper etc.

and, of course, potato chips!

One of my favorites (and easy) is to cut pita bread into triangles and toast it in oven, then bring hummus or avacado dip or salsa. Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? They have great hummus.
    :p Gwynneveg

I love hummus! Baba Ganouj dip is another good idea to go with the toasted/baked pita breads.

Also edamame go good with beer

Nuts! I got some roasted macadamias for Christmas and they were sooooo good!

If you can get some rice balls or falafel balls from anywhere, everyone always likes those . Otherwise, like others have already said, dips, crackers etc are popular among carnivores as well as us herbies.

Quote Roxy
    I love hummus! Baba Ganouj dip is another good idea to go with the toasted/baked pita breads.
    Hello Roxy

What is Baba Ganouj dip? Sounds interesting!

babaganoush is one of my favorites. It's a roasted eggplant dip. Very easy to make. Slice eggplant in half, roast until it's collapsed, cool and scrape out flesh into bowl. Mash with tahini, crushed garlic, fresh squeezed lemon and salt. That's it, tastes as a bread spread or for a dip. I always get my falafel sandwiches with babaganoush.

Hi Gwynne,

Yes, it is an eggplant dip. I have seen the name spelt different ways, and I'm not really sure which is the "correct" spelling lol.

I haven't been brave enough to make my own, and I buy my eggplant dip. Up here in Canada, I buy a brand made by a company called Sunflower Kitchen. Their products are GMO free, kosher, and most are suitable for vegans.

Thanks Roxy and Sue. I wonder if Whole Foods has it. I'll look for it next time I go!

I get that Sunflower Kitchen brand at Wholefoods

Default Vegan meals to bring to others' parties

My workplace is one of those offices where everyone brings in "treats" for celebrations. When it is just a team event, people often remember to bring something I can have, and I bake/cook when it's my turn, no problem (and have especial praise for my vegan flapjacks - several recipes given out).

More generally, for birthdays, chocolates/sweets are usually put in the kitchen for the whole office to help themselves to. My 30th is coming up, and I can't think of a brand of vegan chocolates which would do a big enough box/selection without bankrupting myself.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Celebrations at work

make truffles? If you put booze in them you can hide the fact you use cheap chocolate
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I think I'd have to go the homemade route on this one, feeding everyone Booja truffles is not going to be cheap
    "It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions" - Mark Twain

Don't really want to make truffles with alcohol - a lot of Muslim people work in my offices, and it'd be nice if they could eat my stuff (it'll be after Ramadan finishes, and obviously Vegan stuff is also Halal).

Default dishes for non-vegan christmas

Are any of you attending non-vegan Christmas dinners? What do you plan on bringing to eat and share?

Seaside

Default Re: dishes for non-vegan christmas

People love my chestnut and wild rice "stuffing", Karmadust. Its a pain to prepare it from fresh chestnuts, which is why I only do it once a year, but its worth it.

sugarmouse

I am going t be taking my own food to my mothers for xmas. I am not sure what though yet! I ll maybe just cook up some veggies when I am there, and buy some fake turkey. not sure though! I usually lose weight at xmas, while everyone else gets fatter, because there is never anything I can eat around my parents house!

We're going to have raclette, which is the best option for two meat-eaters, a vegetarian and a vegan. It's a traditional Swiss meal, basically a big grill and everyone has his/her own little frying-pan. Really good fun!
    For Boxing Day, when my uncle's family is coming, I'll cook my own food as they are vey intolerant and would not eat a vegan meal.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

I'll be at my aunt's - she's omnivorous but the people who look after her (she's disabled) seem to understand what "vegan" means so I might take a chance. Last year I lugged a load of vegan stuff over there and the food they had was fine.

I have bought some vegan mince pies though, and might take a packet of Redwood sausages to be on the safe side. If you freeze them first they travel fine.

What are you doing yourself, karmadust?

Hi Applepie,
    I love raclette too and have found it an easy solution for a meal with omnis and me.

I'm having dinner with extended family and I want to try something different this year. Usually I bring a savory and delicious Cashew Loaf (my standard holiday dish)...but I sort of feel like trying something different. I'd like it to be something non-vegans won't be too scared of (haha), but also something I'll enjoy. Thanks for the suggestions

Hmm, people will usually try pasta-based dishes in my experience, although you may not think they are particularly festive.

How about one of those chestnut pate en croute things? Anything wrapped in pastry seems to get people excited

Anything wrapped in pastry seems to get people excited
    haha, how true!

Default Need a traditional Irish dish to take to a party

Hello-

Can someone give me veganized traditional Irish recipe for a St. Patty's Day party I'm going to on the 17th? Thanks!!
    "Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Default Re: Need a traditional Irish dish to take to a party

ok, i don't know the first thing about irish cooking, and i've never tried this, but just today, i got this on some vegetarian/vegan newsletter that i subscrive to:

Colcannon
    6 servings

Adapted from Vegetarian Celebrations

This being March, it’s appropriate to celebrate all things Irish, like this classic potato dish. I love this dish and have been making it for years. The combination of potatoes and cabbage, browned in a skillet and embellished with lots of scallions, becomes uncommonly tasty.

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 cups finely chopped white cabbage
    * 6 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
    * 4 large potatoes, cooked, peeled, and coarsely mashed
    * 1 cup rice milk
    * 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    * Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the cabbage and sauté, covered, over moderate heat. Lift the lid and stir occasionally, until it is limp. Add the scallions and sauté, uncovered, until the cabbage begins to turn golden. If the skillet becomes dry, add small amounts of water as needed.

Combine the potatoes and milk in a mixing bowl and stir together. Turn the heat up to moderately high and stir the potatoes and parsley in with the cabbage mixture in the skillet. Sauté without stirring until the bottom of the mixture gets nicely browned. Fluff with a wooden spoon, then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
    Piggy

THere are a few veganised irish recipes here - skip past the first recipe to find the veganised ones
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Default Taking your own food to a social event

We, that's me and the Mrs, have been invited to a Baptism and munch up afterwards by a family friend.

On the invitation it clearly states that the food on offer will be Jerk Chicken', lovely!

The host has asked if there is anyone attending who is vegetarian or dislikes spicy food. This is where there is a slight difference of opinion between me and my wife ( she is lacto-ovo vegetarian and despises my veganism with a passion, BTW).

I am of the opinion that I should reply and simply state that I am vegan and see what they come up with. My wife thinks this is wrong and that I'm being deiberately difficult and trying to make a point. She feels that I should basically keep quiet and either take my own food or scavenge around the periphery when I get there. I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand I can see that putting someone in the position of having to cater for a 'special' diet when they already have enough to worry about at a family gathering is unhelpful and perhaps even selfish and inconsiderate.

On the other hand if I turn up with my own little packed lunch, not eating their food it will perpetuate the perception that vegans are weird, antisocial and inhabit a strange parallel universe. Not only that but it gives the impression that vegan food is difficult to prepare and can only be undertaken by weirdo accolytes! If someone has to provide vegan food it might make them stop and think for a minute and maybe even realise that not every meal has to contain corpse or cow pus.

Funnily enough I was supposed to be going to another family gathering in a couple of weeks, but I can't go because I'm already signed up for a cycling event. The rest of the family are attending. I was quite irked by the response from the host which was " oh well at least now I don't have to worry about what to give Jiffy to eat". Well I'm so sorry that me being capable of independent thought is such an inconvienience!

Sorry, off on a tangent there. So, getting back to my dilemma what does the panel think? Take my own grub or hope to find something more than a lettuce leaf and a tomato?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Default Re: Taking your own food to a social event - a dilemma

I'd just say "I'm vegan - I can bring a vegan dish though, if that would be OK, as I don't want to put you to extra inconvenience." Then the host can either take you up on it or say they'll make something for you.

If you do end up taking something I would probably try and take enough so that other people can try it as well, which will avoid the sitting-in-corner-with-lunchbox effect (though you might end up not getting much! ).

ETA in these situations I'd generally let the people know that I'll be opting out of the chicken/whatever to make sure they don't buy extra chicken/whatever for me.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    This is where there is a slight difference of opinion between me and my wife (she is lacto-ovo vegetarian and despises my veganism with a passion, BTW).

My wife thinks this is wrong and that I'm being deiberately difficult and trying to make a point. She feels that I should basically keep quiet and either take my own food or scavenge around the periphery when I get there.
    I am sorry, I don't want to disrespect you or your wife but...WHAT????

I was at my brother's wedding recently, and he asked if we could provide some recipes which he could give to the chef, and then the chef would surprise us. We ended up with a 3-course meal which other people looked at and wished they could have had! We also sent a thank you card to the pub, as it all tasted wonderful! The main dish was roasted butternut squash stuffed with wild rice, chestnuts and mushrooms, accompanied by a fresh local veg salad (^_^)

I understand this is not something you will be able to do in your case, but I thought I'd share with you a positive experience.

I fully agree with harpy's approach to the situation. Be sympathetic to the organiser and offer to meet them halfway, then see where to take it. Then you can't be seen to be difficult!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Do you have to eat when you get there? Why not attend not hungry? I've been to dos before and simply not eaten anything, which is fine too. Or is that weird?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote DavidT View Post
    Do you have to eat when you get there? Why not attend not hungry? I've been to dos before and simply not eaten anything, which is fine too. Or is that weird?
    That's good advice! I tend not to think about doing that, just because I'm all about the food all the time! (shall I pop an Austin Powers "baby" in at the end there?)
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I'd reply stating "vegan", but agree that you should eat before/take something to eat if there's nowt

Great response by harpy, as always

Yep, I agree. Harpy's "I'm vegan but I can bring something if that's easier" approach seems to cover everything.

Quote harpy View Post
    I'd just say "I'm vegan - I can bring a vegan dish though, if that would be OK, as I don't want to put you to extra inconvenience." Then the host can either take you up on it or say they'll make something for you.

The best way, then you are not being rude, demanding or weird!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

^ Yep thats they way I always go too.

They might actually be willing and perfectly able to cook something for you and might be offended if you just assumed there would be nothing for you and turned up and didnt eat or with your own packed lunch.

So replying (purely as an example) "You self-centred, inconsiderate, murdering, cholesterol-laden feckers" is a no-go then?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Blush! Thank you, people. David's response is what I'd be thinking as I wrote the polite letter though

I was also thinking that if they do offer to make something for you, Jiffy, then discreet emergency supplies aren't a bad idea, just in case they get hold of the wrong end of the stick about what vegans eat.

Quote DavidT View Post
    So replying (purely as an example) "You self-centred, inconsiderate, murdering, cholesterol-laden feckers" is a no-go then?
    That only works standing in the street shouting at random passers by!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote DavidT View Post
    Quote gogs67 View Post
    That only works standing in the street shouting at random passers by!
    Yes! Imagine!

Quote DavidT View Post
    S'not too weird but, well, seems like a capitulation really doesn't it? Quite apart from which due to the timings involved it will be past lunchtime and I won't have eaten since breakfast anyway and I'm a hungry caterpillar at the best of times. I don't think me munching Nak'd bars or bananas through the church service would go down too well.

Apparently (and I think this is my Mrs doing an Alistair Campbell) lots of guests will be 'contributing' various dishes....how jolly handy, another one of her secret surveys, no doubt.

We'd better take a fair bit then. IME, paradoxically, the vegan stuff is the first to get snaffled up!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote Jiffy View Post
    IME, paradoxically, the vegan stuff is the first to get snaffled up!
    Mine too!

Quote DavidT View Post
    Mine too!
    So true. My dining hall offers a "Grab N Go" section basically like fast food... and there are only two vegan entrées: hummus & vegetable platter and pbj. They're always gone if I don't get there early. I'll always walk in there, a friend will see me, and I'll mention there's nothing vegan... they usually say, "Then Grab N Go is not for you," and pass me by.

Well, on the bright side, being vegan allows me to exercise my creativity which I always dreamed of using for the purpose of improving the world.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Yes, even if it's a sit-down meal I find the others always (ETA except when it's just a baked potato or plate of lettuce) eye up your food thinking it looks more interesting than theirs. There seems to be an obvious solution to that one!

What are you going to take then Jiffy? Better make it something fairly unpleasant-looking so the others don't all gobble it up before you get to it

puca

I would say I am vegan and would ask if they minded me bringing my own food to share.

Haha, my friend says she always eats good-looking vegan food in front of her friends and tells them it's only for vegans as a way to get them to go vegan.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Rocket Queen

Nothing I can add here really but, in other situations (obviously not an option here) I have turned up early and taken ingredients which I have then prepared as the host cooked, and cooked enough for me and a few others. That has always gone down well .
    Obviously I told them about my idea first

Default Husband is having a work BBQ...HELP!

And the wives were asked to bring side dishes. They will provide the meat...

Well I don't eat meat, duuh! So I need some suggestions as to what I can bring as an amazing side dish, but the main meal for myself.

Please help me out! Recipes or links would be well appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Husband is having a work BBQ...HELP!

Touboulli. Make a touboulli, it's yummy and everyone will be knocked out that you made it as everyone always buys that dry boring stuff from the shop in plastic containers. I'll see if i can find the link.

The other thing is bring some mushrooms to fry up, or maybe make a chili pasta and mushroom salad. That one i just made up....