Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan breakfast?

Default Favorite vegan breakfast?

what is your favorite vegan breakfast?

mine is anything with potatoes... i loooove hashbrowns (but i tend to get stuffy and allergic when i eat potatos so i dont eat them that often!)
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 13th, 2004 at 01:48 PM. Reason: two breakfast threads merged

I like hashbrowns too! My favorite! (Yum......)

scrambled tofu. not the kind that you buy the mix for, but using your own spices and fresh veggies along with the tofu. hashbrowns are pretty close up there for me too though.

I like mixed berries and citrus with raw nuts and seeds.

i recently made some rhubarb jam so i'm currently having that on toast for brekkie but otherwise i like chopped banana and apple, sprinkle with ground almonds then top with raisins and vegan yoghurt !

Mushrooms on toast! Mmmm

hmm lately i have had cravings for oatmeal with raisins and cereal...

nope not at the same time...

i love hashbrowns though... mmmmmmm
    Vegan-pagan-homeschooling momma to Khaila (5) and felines Gamma (3) and Mickey (3 mnths) and new foster cat Holly (2)

i can't really eat cooked food at breakfast, i tend to have fruity muesli with soya/rice milk most of the time, occasionally i will have toast but only really if i've run out of milk!

This is going to be a big surprise - oatmeal with walnuts and maple syrup.

Default amazing whole grain breakfast

A concoction my roommate dreamed up:

• handful raw oats
    • small handful uncooked millet
    • 1 banana
    • few splooshes soy milk
    • cinnamon
    • nutmeg
    • pinch salt
    • toasted nuts if you want (pecans/almonds)
    • tsp or so flax seeds, toasted & lightly ground
    • dried cranberries or golden raisins

mash the banana with the soy milk, then add grains and everything else. sooooooo good! so whole-grainy! keeps me full till lunch. i love it.

That or a bagel with the spreads from the Vegan Planet.

i usually have cold cereal with soy milk, although every once in a while i'll have hot cereal. warm tasty goodness. during the school year i'm bad and often just grab a soy latte for breakfast.

weekday "breakfast" for me is just green tea but my favorite thing to have on weekends for breakfast is scrambled tofu w/veggies (usually mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and squash) & lots of spices (curry, tumeric, chipotle, coriander, red chile powder, garlic) with hash browns and whole grain toast

I usually can't have much of anything substantial when I first wake up--I suppose years of skipping breakfast during school (and sleeping in too late on non-school days to have breakfast) have thrown my stomach a bit out of whack, and a big breakfast makes me feel very ill. Lately I've been trying, though--I usually have three 16-oz bottles of water (trying to get in my 8 glasses a day), plus a snack-size cup of natural applesauce or a cup of puffed Kashi with a little soy milk and a packet of sweetener. I know sweetener's not exactly healthy, but lately the thought of sugar disgusts me. Which reminds me to ask, does anyone know if Splenda (0-calorie sweetener made from cane sugar) is vegan?

Veganmama

My usual is Museil with some fresh sprouts

My favourite breakfast food, that I don't eat very often is this: vegan waffles with berries in them with Yves vege breakfast sausages smothered in maple syrup. Yummmmmmmm.

mmm waffles with berries sounds very good right now

ConsciousCuisine

Unhappy

Quote slinkyvagabond
    a packet of sweetener. I know sweetener's not exactly healthy, but lately the thought of sugar disgusts me. Which reminds me to ask, does anyone know if Splenda (0-calorie sweetener made from cane sugar) is vegan?
    Splenda is "sucralose". Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar. This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. Being that the sugar used by the chemists who manufacture this toxin do not make use of organic sugar, it is processed through bone char, making it neither a vegan or even a vegetarian product. Additionally, it was tested on thousands of animals before it was put out on the market, since only a handful of human studies have actually been conducted in a short period of time, and the "heavies" who are the proponents of this toxin needed to have "proof" that it was not unhealthy.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Splenda is "sucralose". Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar. This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. Being that the sugar used by the chemists who manufacture this toxin do not make use of organic sugar, it is processed through bone char, making it neither a vegan or even a vegetarian product. Additionally, it was tested on thousands of animals before it was put out on the market, since only a handful of human studies have actually been conducted in a short period of time, and the "heavies" who are the proponents of this toxin needed to have "proof" that it was not unhealthy.
    GAH! *feels a bit queasy* Thank you for the info. I suppose from now on I'll just top my unsweetened cereal with a flavored soy milk.

For breakfast I like to eat rolled oats porage, with raisins or prunes that I stir in whilst stirring the porage. I add a little Vitasoy milk to cool it down, as I can't wait to eat it! At the moment I'm away from home, staying with a friend in Sydney, and here I'm having olive bread slices with a thick spread of avocado, and home made homas, followed by an apple, with a mug of ginger tea. The bread, avocado, homas, ginger tea, and apples were brought round to me by my son who also lives in Sydney, and came to visit.

One of my neighbors, whos really into raw foods, told me about this. The night before, you have to soak some almonds and oats in water, then rinse them out in the morning. To get it ready, you cut up 5 dates or so into really small pieces, and let them soak in a little water for 15 minutes. Put your oats and almonds in a bowl. Slice up a banana and and apple into bit size peices and add them. When the dates are ready, add them, and mix everything together. It makes about two bowls.

It's tastes so good!!! Sort of like apple crisp, actually. And you can easily substitute fruits. Try it some time

On sort of a random note, soaking almonds in water is good for two reasons: 1.) It makes them MUCH more digestible. 2.) They begin to sprout, and their nutritional value goes up like 300% - 400%!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Pembroke
    One of my neighbors, whos really into raw foods, told me about this. The night before, you have to soak some almonds and oats in water, then rinse them out in the morning.

On sort of a random note, soaking almonds in water is good for two reasons: 1.) It makes them MUCH more digestible. 2.) They begin to sprout, and their nutritional value goes up like 300% - 400%!
    This is a favorite way to have cereal! FYI unless you buy oats that are unterated and verified raw, they will have been steamed in the processing so are not "raw" and live anymore. It's still a good breakfast though! I wonder if your neighbor buys the truly raw ones?

Yes, soaked "sprouted" seeds and nuts are the best way to consume them. The protein and vitamins/minerals become more easily assimilated when soaked. Heated nuts are especially difficult to digest, but even raw, unsoaked ones can tax the system.

Actually, my neighbor goes ALL out She orders her from a huge organic-bulk company. It's spendy, but I think it's worth it. You should see how many dates she has, lol. I looked inside of her refridgerator, and I was in heaven!!! I used to be friends with her daughter, and when I expressed an interest in raw foods, she was more than happy to give me an intro.... I'm so jealous of her children, heh heh.

We got our oats at the co-op, so I'm 99.9% sure that they're raw. Yummy We buy alot of my food their. We got dates there, but they were pitted.... I liked the ones with the pits in better. I don't know why, but they just taste better.

ConsciousCuisine

That's so cool that you have someone like that to show you new stuff! Maybe since she places orders you can order a few specialty items with her!

The dates with pits in them are softer and more moist in my experience...

Any Kelloggs or nestle breakfast cereal eaters take note.

The hidden dangers in breakfast

Cereal giants accused over sugar, salt and fat content

James Meikle, health correspondent
    Thursday April 1, 2004
    The Guardian

The breakfast cereal giants Kellogg's and Nestlé were yesterday accused by the Consumers' Association of targeting children with products containing excessive levels of sugar, salt and fat.

Servings of popular brands such as All Bran, Oat Krunchies and Golden Grahams contained four times as much salt as a 25g bag of roasted peanuts, the association said, as it fired the first salvo in a battle to speed up the "excruciatingly slow" progress being made to improve children's diets by industry and the government. It threatened a consumer boycott if ministers and companies failed to respond to pressure.

More

My usual breakfast is fruit: kiwis and strawberries, raspberries and peaches; melon; mango and bluberries; grapefruit; green grapes and plums...

I like porridge and banana, porridge and sugar-free jam; porridge and raisins, muesli and banana, bran with warm soy milk and banana, soy yoghurt with rhubarb, soyyoghurt with apple and banana; rye bread wit banana, rye bread and apple, rye bread and apple, raisins and soy cream cheese, toasted rye bread and yeast spread; mushrooms on non-rye wholemeal or granary toast; tempeh bacon toast sandwich

But my absolute favourties are bagels or home-made muffins with a banana soy smoothie. I make vegan sugar-free muffins with banana, blueberries, lemon zest and coconut; or banana, raspberries, orange zest and passionfruit an coconut; or apple and cinnamon.

Question Yogurt? Once safe or never?

Hi guys,

Recently, not 3 months ago, I went to buy some soy-yogurt. I do not eat a lot of soy-yogurt because all the brands that I am aware of in Auz have wheat and other processed materials in them that don't go down well in me.
    However, I did enjoy my soy-yogurt every now and again, and yet when I went to buy it I was re-reading the ingredients list (as I usually do when I can't recall everything in something) and to my disgust I found that they have started makin a note warning that the "live cultures" are dairy based cultures.
    Bah!!!
    I swear this note was never on them before, and I haven't bought any soy-yogurt since....but do they make a safe vegan yogurt anywhere????

i have always wondered about the live cultures too. There are non-live sooy yogs in the UK tho so u have the choice.

porridge with mixed spice, chopped dried dates/raisins and banana! yummeh! i <3 porridge! oh and green tea, or liquorice tea...
    ~*wanna disco? wanna see me disco?*~

fast food (of course vegan fast food is not mcdonald crap .. it's healthy and nutritious)

i like some sandwich in the morning like THIS

or ..

leftovers from day before dinner (rice warmed up in microwave or sth)

Lately, I have been having orange juice,then about 1 hour later have oats which have been soaked overnight,cooked with maple syrup and soy milk.
    I have finally enough confident to make a post!!

anything that dont requires cooking. oh and tasty 2
    DIPS with bread rock my world lately.
    Today I had SKORDALIA which tastes exactly as COTTAGE CHEESE WITH SOUR CREAM & ONION that I had often when I was not vegan.

Just use half of the amount of lemon. YOMMO all the way.

I just simply eat it with bread.
    I like Eminem - Encore

ConsciousCuisine

Quote walnut
    Lately, I have been having orange juice,then about 1 hour later have oats which have been soaked overnight,cooked with maple syrup and soy milk.
    I have finally enough confident to make a post!!

Hi Walnut! Please post more!

Kashi "Seven in the Morning" with mixed fruits and soymilk, a big tall glass of orange juice and a cup of black coffee w/ vanilla silk and chai...YUM.
    "May your life be a reflection of what you believe...be the change you want the world to be". -Ghandi

If I’m feeling healthy:

Muesli with all the nuts, seeds and dried fruit I can find with soy milk.

If I have a hang over:

Fried waffles, veggie sausages, veggie bacon, onion rings, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans.

lol ^
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Talking For all you oatmeal lovers...

What sort of Oatmeal do you have for breakfast?
    - Instant (or the 1 minute variety)
    - Traditional rolled oats
    - Coarse or steal cut oats
    - Flavoured oatmeal (like quakers etc...)

Normally I have quick oats, that come already in a sachet. I add 2/3 cup water and nuke it for 1 minute and 30 seconds. I add chopped fruit - and yummy! But this morning I went all out and cooked coarse oatmeal. It took half an hour and it didn't taste nearly as good!!!!

Also, in Australia, they don't have many vegan flavoured oatmeals - the only one I can find is at the health food shop and it is about $7 - 8 for a box with 8 sachets, as opposed to my plain oatmeal that costs $3 for 10 sachets!!!!

wuggy

I like traditional rolled oats, cooked and topped with raisins.

with maple syrup & soy milk (and soy cream if i'm feeling really naughty!)

I eat traditional rolled oats. I used to eat steel cut oats as well...until one day I took a bite that tasted like blood. I could never eat those again.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

traditional rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla soy milk, nuts, raisins--just like a cookie!

cyan

at home i eat steel cut, but in college my only option sits in a packet. i went to whole foods and bought organic instant oatmeal, though, so i didn't have to rely on the preservative-ridden crap they have here.

Hmmm...I feel sort of dumb b/c I'm not sure. I have a box of Oat Bran All Natural Hot Cereal. It's not in individual packets and it doesn't say anything like "quick" or "instant" on the box, but I just add water and cook for 1-2 minutes. The only ingredient is oat bran. So is it instant? The box does say "the oats are milled to remove the fibrous coat, or bran layer, from the rest of the kernal." I'm stumped and feeling kind of foolish...

Quote Artichoke47
    I eat traditional rolled oats. I used to eat steel cut oats as well...until one day I took a bite that tasted like blood. I could never eat those again.
    ewww...i eat steel cut oats with soy milk (i like how it's more crunchy than other oatmeal) but i won't be eating it until i forget that blood expierence.

ah man, I didn't do the poll because if its oatmeal I will eat it you know proveded when its instant that it has not to much artificial crap in it. In fact I just got some instant oatmeal organic flax and oats, good stuff. My friends, my family I don't think I knwo anyone that like oatmeal I love it, oh and cornmeal is good to.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

In the week it's either two slices of toast with that nice cruncy peanut butter made by Essential Wholefoods (most of you westcountry vegans will know the stuff).
    or It's Shreddies but the ones made By Sainsbury or Co-oP as they are labelled Vegan.

ON the weekend I treat myself to a veggie grill up not a big fan of fried food or if the local health food shop has them in stock I get some of the Luxery Herb Vegan Sosauges and have a nice sarni with brown sauce - proper job young-en
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Hot Rice Cereal?

Does anyone ever make this? I have oatmeal every morning, and while I love it and am not tired of my oats, I want to try the rice cereal, too.

My recipe says to use 1/2 c. of rice and grind it in a coffee or spice grinder, mixed with 2 c. boiling water, reducing the heat to low when you add the rice, and then cooking for about 5 min., adding vegetable-based milk, if desired, at the end.

I'm not sure that my walnuts and maple syrup will go with rice cereal. What do you guys think?

Talking

I have tried rice porridge before. This was rolled brown rice flakes, as you get with oatmeal. It was quite yummy, but I much prefer the oats. Rice porridge would be a great substitute if, like Foxytina, you have celiacs desease and can't have gluten.

Walnuts and maple syrup wouldn't not go with it, but I know a rice porridge that comes with chopped up pieces of dried nectarine and peaches, so maybe you can try something a bit different?

Also, I am not sure what rice cereal you are talking about coz I never had to grind anything up in the coffee grinder!!!

Oh, you grind up the rice. You just use regular brown rice that you buy in a container or bag or bulk bin at the store and make the "cereal" part yourself by grinding up the rice so that it cooks faster and comes out more cereal-like.

Thanks for the tips on the fruit. I don't have either of those, but maybe raisins will work.

I made this cereal this morning. It's not as good as oatmeal. I made it using the above directions, plus adding 1 1/2 T. of sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon, and 3 T. of rice milk, to make it sort of like rice pudding flavor. It tastes pretty good, but not "awesome" like my oatmeal!

ConsciousCuisine

I make "Congee" a traditional Chinese Porridge. It is rice cooked in a pot or crockpot, with lots more liquid than normal and either a sweet or savory theme-

For Sweet, I use almond, soy or coconut milk, add cinnamon and/or chopped dates and perhaps other spices like ginger, nutmeng, or pumpkin pie spice blend. After it has cooked to a "mush" I add chopped nuts and a dab of Earth Balance and maybe Maple syrup.

For Savory, I add chopped onion and garlic, perhaps corriander maybe a curry spice blend or a chopped jalapeno and after it has cooked down a bit I add chopped vegetables (greens, carrots) and finish it off once it is a "mush" with a bit of Earth Balance, Brown Rice Vinegar and a dash of Umeboshi Vinegar.

This is a common Winter breakfast, Sweet or Savory, in my house. Congee is easy to digest and very soothing. It's a good thing to have when you have the flu or a stomach issue.