Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan breakfast?

Default Re: Favorite vegan breakfast?

I am crumpet mad at the moment. But I have bloody forgot them lol from asda

Rocket Queen

Tofu scramble....popadums, tonnes of coffee and fried mashed potato patties (note, I only eat this stuff at a weekend when hungover!)
    Usually breakfast consists of a few cups of tea with soy milk and sugar (I am bad!)
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

I don't think you can beat steaming hot porrige made with soya milk heavily drizziled with Golden Syrup..mmmm yum!! Though i have to take my time with this one and eat it slow..with a mug of tea. So this is just a winter weekend breakie for me, the rest of the time i have Co ops version of weetabix!

Quote sprollie View Post
    I am crumpet mad at the moment. But I have bloody forgot them lol from asda
    They have a vegan version?

Every kind I looked at last night, had eggs in them
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

Another vote for the Green Smoothie ...

... I start with some of my favourite fruits, e.g. pineapple, pears, apples and some water and let the Vitamix do a spin....

... first glass is for the wife (who does not like bananas) ... then I add banana and spin it again (for the kids)

... and finally I add the leafy greens (spinach most of the time) for myself!

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote mecocat View Post
    I don't think you can beat steaming hot porrige made with soya milk heavily drizziled with Golden Syrup..mmmm yum!! Though i have to take my time with this one and eat it slow..with a mug of tea. So this is just a winter weekend breakie for me, the rest of the time i have Co ops version of weetabix!
    For me, I really love oat bran with soy milk. Oatmeal is tasty, but oat bran is healthier, and feels heartier; I feel full longer. It's also nice for when it's cold in the morning. Just pure comfort food.

Though, I've also been having breakfast shakes more often too (a package of silken tofu, cup of soy milk, spoonful of wheat gluten, spoonful of cocoa powder, and two or so straberries).
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Your breakfast shake sounds delicious Shrapnel..............I'm going to give that one a go.

Today I made my own breakfast cereal bars using oats, cherries, vegan 'honey' and peanut butter..............they're not half bad!
    I was so fed up with the shop bought bars containing milk or honey or something non vegan that I decided to make my own version.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Your breakfast shake sounds delicious Shrapnel..............I'm going to give that one a go.

Today I made my own breakfast cereal bars using oats, cherries, vegan 'honey' and peanut butter..............they're not half bad!
    I was so fed up with the shop bought bars containing milk or honey or something non vegan that I decided to make my own version.
    ^_^ Thankies. I hope you like it.

Ooh, cool! I never made my own cereal bars before. Sounds like fun actually.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Quote Lynn View Post
    They have a vegan version?

Every kind I looked at last night, had eggs in them
    most of the non luxury ones are okay, it's normally butter they have in, never seen crumpets with eggs, are you thinking of muffins? Sainsburys crumpets are labelled vegan, for instance, and Tescos ones had vegan ingredients last time I looked...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    most of the non luxury ones are okay, it's normally butter they have in, never seen crumpets with eggs, are you thinking of muffins? Sainsburys crumpets are labelled vegan, for instance, and Tescos ones had vegan ingredients last time I looked...
    I must have got my crumpets and muffins mixed up!
    I have given up on Asda as I'm finding Sainsburys much more helpful with their labelling for a beginner vegan, so I shall get them at the weekend to go with some lovely Traidcraft strawberry jam!
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

I am so lazy! I just love to eat fruit for breakfast at work, since there is always a fresh variety for free in the break room and I'm the one hurrying around in the morning to get our two girls ready for creche and make my husband's lunch.

RubyDuby

Lately it has been Mountain Mix Mojo Clif bars... I do love a big breakfast though. Tofu scramble, fakin bacon, hash browns, toast. yum
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote sandra View Post

Vegan ''Honey''? What's that made of?

Rocket Queen

It's from vegan bees
    I assume Sandra means something like a mixture made from agave nectar? That's what I use. I am on a coffee drip.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Grape Nuts. LOVE Grape Nuts. With banana. And more Grape Nuts.

I soak the Grape Nuts in soya milk in the fridge before I eat them, though. It's such a comforting food, I find.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Vegan "honey": http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=640

Not sure that's what Sandra had though.

I'm very pleased about my latest green smoothy, which happened to be ultra green as well.

1 apple
    1 pear
    little bit of cucumber
    handful of spinach
    chia seeds for the omega fats
    few icecubes and water

Really lovely and fresh tasting, absolutely delicious!

Unfortunately, nothing. The thought of food before about midday makes me feel ill. I have been told frequently that that is very naughty, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, stops you picking etc, but I just can't do it.
    "Nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Quote Greyowl55 View Post
    Unfortunately, nothing. The thought of food before about midday makes me feel ill. I have been told frequently that that is very naughty, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, stops you picking etc, but I just can't do it.
    I've been that way my whole life. I have to avert my eyes if anyone is eating in the morning so I don't get nauseous. I do like a nice breakfast though around lunch time or even for dinner. My favorite is a tofu 'omelette' stuffed with mushrooms, onions and a bit of Daiya cheddar with some hot sauce splashed on top of it. And hash brown potatoes, toast and some home made bean 'sausages'.

Fruitilicious★

I like everyones ideas, it seems everyone has it going here

For me personally I am not really hungry in the morning. I drink water or a cucumber juiced with lemon or even plain orange juice freshly squeezed.

Then I drink my banana shake (at least 15 bananas mixed with water).

Fruitilicious Jules★
    http://livingonfruit.blogspot.com/
    http://www.fruitilicioushealth.blogspot.com/

Quote Greyowl55 View Post
    I used to be exactly the same... however, these days I've trained myself into eating breakfast and wake up hungry. I've found that if I don't eat breakfast within about 30mins of actually becoming vertical I lose my hunger, often for the rest of the day.

Most days breakfast is either some kind of beans on toast, or some kind of porridge. I've just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (boooo) so I am being a little more concious on the sugars front and have been having savoury porridge, which is rather scrummy. I do miss the maple syrup though
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

^ You might be interested to know that agave nectar has a lower glycaemic index compared to other sugars; my bf has diabetes and it doesn't appear to cause him problems (in moderation).

I'm in the midst of a tapioca frenzy I make it with a mixture of coconut milk and soya milk and leave it to set in the fridge...
    It makes a great breakfast

Quote fiamma View Post
    I'm in the midst of a tapioca frenzy I make it with a mixture of coconut milk and soya milk and leave it to set in the fridge...
    It makes a great breakfast
    That sounds yumlicious! So you simmer it with the milks and then pop it in the fridge?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote grapegirl View Post
    For me personally I am not really hungry in the morning. I drink water or a cucumber juiced with lemon or even plain orange juice freshly squeezed.

Then I drink my banana shake (at least 15 bananas mixed with water).
    You eat 15 bananas when you're not hungry?

Quote fiamma View Post
    ^ You might be interested to know that agave nectar has a lower glycaemic index compared to other sugars; my bf has diabetes and it doesn't appear to cause him problems (in moderation).
    Thanks I think Agave isn't recommended in pregnancy though as it stimulates uterine contractions. However, I have decided to pretty much follow a diabetic diet even postpartum as it will massively reduce my chances of getting type 2 in later life. I don't exactly live on sweet things but I'm thinking a little bit of Agave might be the perfect substitute
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote pusskins View Post
    That sounds yumlicious! So you simmer it with the milks and then pop it in the fridge?
    That's the one
    The original recipe states 500ml water plus 250ml milk, 175g brown sugar and 120g tapioca..
    Since it comes in 500g bags, I boil a quarter with a tin of coconut milk (about 400ml) which I make up to 500ml with soya milk then add another 250 of soya milk. I use less sugar - about 80/100g of brown sugar with 25g or so of white.
    I also sometimes add a bit of cinnamon. The pack also says to soak the tapioca for an hour beforehand... once you've done that, drain it and boil it together with the sugar and milk(s) - it only takes about 10-15mins to cook.
    Then I pour it into a rectangular plastic box and put it in the fridge when it's cooled a little, cut it into squares when it's cold

Totally recommended!

pVegan

I typically eat 1 of 3 things.
    1. Banana and protein bar, with orange juice
    2. Granola with berries and soymilk
    3. Strawberry Protein Smoothie

I try to focus on getting a little extra dose of protein in the morning, to get that extra supply of energy for focus

Gluten Free Porridge with Seeds/Raisins and Golden Syrup (bad I know. lol)

Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms on Gluten Free Toast...or sometimes with hashbrowns.

Vanilla or Chocolate Pancakes with Fruit...or if I'm feeling unhealthy ice cream/syrup.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I only have this at the weekend. Toasted muffins filled with grilled ' bacon' usually redwoods, melted cheesely, grilled tomato and mushrooms. Topped with a bit of chilli sauce.

During the week I have muesli with soya milk topped with whatever fruit is around and some extra nuts.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

At the moment I have a variation on a smoothie each morning.

The base is
    250ml Soya Milk
    125g Soya Yoghurt
    1 tbs flax seed Ground
    1 tbs coco powder
    1 tbs Tahni or Peanut Butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 Frozen Banana

Into this I throw about 30-50g of frozen fruit of whatever type I fancy, and then blend it like crazy. If I add some icecubes (about 6) it's very thick, almost pudding like, and if I soak the flaxseed in the milk overnight it's even better.

I normally has a very small slice of toast with yeast extract before this.

I've ony just recently changed my diet to vegan (a little over a week ago actually) so I'm getting some good idea's here.

Though I have been enjoying Jalapeno humus on pumpernickel bread topped with cucumber and cress also museli with soy milk

I am so loving this thread

Okay, a typical morning for me would be:
    Wake up and do 45 minutes of yoga and meditation, then pour myself a cup of coffee. When I've finished this, I make a smoothie made from whatever I have on hand, usually this:

2 bananas, oranges or apples, or a mix of two of those
    A little oat bran
    A LOT of veggies, typically red and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, tomato, red beets and SPINACH!
    And just enough ornage juice to make the blender work

Guess it's more a fruit puree than a smoothie
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

Current favourite is a late breakfast, early lunch of warm bagels with Tofutti cream cheese and a slice of Redwood bacon on one side, and a hummus/tahini mix on the other side. Mmmm.
    Bleating and babbling, we fell on his neck with a scream.

My usual is oatmeal with walnuts, some brown sugar, and whatever fruit or spices I feel like throwing in. Made with water.
    OR whole wheat bagels/toast with peanut or almond butter.
    I usually have calcium-fortified orange juice or fruit on the side.

But favorite would be a HUMONGOUS breakfast. Some combination of (pick one from each):
    BAKED GOOD: Some variation of waffles (pumpkin chocolate chip or banana-oatmeal-raisin or double chocolate). Blueberry pancakes. Lemon poppyseed muffins. Blueberry scones. Cinnamon muffins. Cinnamon rolls with tons of icing. French toast.
    FRUIT: Fruit salad. Juice. Smoothies.
    SAVORY:Tempeh bacon. Potatoes fried with veg sausage. Tempeh and white bean sausage. Biscuits with sausage gravy. Fried tomatoes and mushrooms on toast. Veg bacon.

I think I'd need several weeks to get all 'favorite' breakfast combinations in, I just can't decide.

I usually have for breakfast a banana, soy milk with muesli or digestive biscuits and raw cashews or a little dark chocolate. When I run out of soy milk, I have a banana with some other dried fruits and some oat flakes and the others I've mentioned before .
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

I've not been vegan long, but so far my fave vegan breakfasts are:

1.) Organic peanut butter and jam on toast with a bowl of fresh strawberries and blueberries.
    2.) Porridge (made with rice milk for sweetness) and sprinkled with a few chopped walnuts and grapes.

I'm looking forward to getting new ideas from everybody about different vegan breakfasts .
    xox

adam.rurka

I've been having oats, blueberries, and tofu for breakfast 5-7 days a week for a few months now. I love it.

^ tofu how?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

adam.rurka

Take a portion of medium firm tofu, and just mix it with prepared oats and blueberries.

my favorite is tofu scramble (freezing the tofu first, then thawing it and squeezing out the water gives it that fluffy egg texture). i sautee it with spices and fresh veggies and top it off with some homemade salsa. it is so satisfying and filling.

^ Aye, same here. Hearty 'n Heavenly.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote adam.rurka View Post
    Take a portion of medium firm tofu, and just mix it with prepared oats and blueberries.
    i don't understand. firm tofu? wouldn't it just be like a raw tofu scramble?

I am enjoying healthy granola with the recipe from Alicia Silverstone's ''the kindness diet'' it is so delicious and low in fats and sugar.

You're all so, healthy! Does no-one else go for a Full English!?

Toast, baked beans, fried mushrooms, roast tomato, fried TVP sausages, fried hash browns, scrambled tofu if you like it. If only I could find good vegan bacon...

Sure I might be losing that extra life-expectancy I have over the meat-eaters, but I'm sure going to enjoy losing it!

For breakfast I typically enjoy 6-grain hot oatmeal (or old fashioned) with a tbsp of pure cooked pumpkin, stevia, vegan powdered milk (soy protein concentrate), TVP, cinammon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, and sometimes 1/2 of an apple. It's healthy and nutritious!

when in work, i breakfast quite healthily but now i have 12 days off the xmas i fear i will not be so good...... crumpets with chocolate spread, fry-ups, etc etc....argh

I don't really have a favourite, but what I have been having regularly are:
    Banana smoothie (2 large banana's and a little soy milk)
    Home-made banana bread w/ peanut butter spread.

Kind of enjoying the bananas while they are on special
    Last edited by maariak; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typos :s

airalien

Only some muesli

diy-girlie

I like sweet things for breakfast. Cake is the breakfast of champions by far if you've got any leftover!
    Last edited by diy-girlie; Jan 8th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

I did scrambled tofu on toast for the first time the other day. I had no idea what it would be like but I LOVED it!!