Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan breakfast?

Default Re: Favorite vegan breakfast?

maybe this is not the right thread, but anyway, this is about breakfast. ive *tried* to like oatmeal, and i see many of you do. maybe it's the way i cook it or something but i hate its texture.... reminds me somehow pre-digested food
    could you help me and tell me what to do, or what am i doing wrong?

i'm not a big porridge fan, either.

i make some most days for my daughter (two years old) and she adores it. my husband eats a big bowlful on the weekends too (he makes it for the two of them on weekends).

i'm just not into the texture, so i totally get not liking it.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Jippia

I love oatmeal and I usually cook the porridge with soy or rice milk. I may use other flakes or mix them with the oatmeal, like millet or amaranth flakes.

On workdays I keep it with one slice of bread spread with a litte Marmite and tahini or a small bowl of soy yogurt and muesli (nuts and fruits).

I usually have a glass of fruit juice and glass of non-dairy milk. When I have time to have tea, I like nettle tea or another herbal tea.

Mirjam

ymmm my favorite breakfast is oatmeal w. low calorie maple syrup and craisins w. 1 TB of cinnamon PB - delish!

having it right now well actually just plain oatmeal - dont have the other ingredients unfortunately and i was in a rush to get to work
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

vegan "egg" muffins (scrambled tofu with vegan bacon or sausage rounds on an english muffin) and vegan sausages on the side. mmmm.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I usually just like to eat toast, tea and coffee. On my toast I like either Orange Marmalade or Blackberry Jam. I don't really like much else (as in spreads). Sometimes I will have a different flavour (my husband likes strawberry jam) if I have run out

My weekend breakfast (when I can be bothered) is either:
    - oatmeal w/ blueberries and banana
    or
    - sourdough toast w/ avocado, sau'teed mushrooms, spinach and tomato, baked beans and ketchup

RubyDuby

when i'm camping I'll throw a coupla traditional style tortillas on the grill over the fire for a minute to make them slightly crispy but still a little soft and squish avocado on it. so good. i dont know why i only eat them when i'm camping...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I like Planet Organic's Gluten Free Porridge with rice milk, I add a banana and/or pear and lsa, psyllium and cinnamon - YUM!

Might have to go back to a cereal in summer, it's getting a bit warm for porridge

Windfall

I love french toast with strawberry compote - its my weekend breakfast together with a vanilla soy-latte hehe

a big ass breakfast. pancakes, hashbrowns, vegan sausages and bacon and scrambled tofu and ketchup and syrup all on a big plate and big glass of oj or apple juice. yummmmmm.

me and steev sure love our big meals lol.

I really need to find some quick, simple, healthy, filling breakfast foods... I can't be arsed to read the whole of this topic though. lol

I want a smoothie maker, then I can have those for breakfast!!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Have you got a liquidiser? We use that to make ours. Try liquidising a chopped banana, soya milk, raspberries and blueberries. Yummy

BlackCats

Foxy and vegcurry - they both sound like lovely breakfasts.

I like to have a vegan cooked breakfast - baked beans, veg sausages, toast, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms and cup of proper tea. I never really have it that often though, hmm maybe tomorrow I will.

Saying that I do love my toast/bagels/crumpets/muffins as well.

Quote vegcurry View Post
    Have you got a liquidiser?

No, i've got to buy one!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I am very boring I eat fruit for brekkie.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    a big ass breakfast. pancakes, hashbrowns, vegan sausages and bacon and scrambled tofu and ketchup and syrup all on a big plate and big glass of oj or apple juice. yummmmmm.

me and steev sure love our big meals lol.
    Word. Vegan fry ups are fecking brilliant.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

haha markanthony i agree.

now i am craving a big ass breakfast sandwich. an english muffin piled high with scrambled tofu, ketchup, vegan sausage or bacon and maybe vegan cheese served warm. mmmmm. *stomach grumbles*

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default fav breakfasts

scrambled tofu, potato waffles, vegan sausgaes, beans and toast (my attempt at a fried breakfast . tatses good though

Default Re: fav breakfasts

Scrambled tofu, veggie bacon, veggie sausage, fried mushrooms, fried tomato, hash browns, toast and a glass of fresh orange juice is a winner of a fry up as far as I'm concerned.

My most common breakfasts however are muesli, porridge and/or smoothies.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Redwoods rashers in crusty seeded bread with tomato and plenty of wholegrain mustard.

My slightly healthier option is Whole Earth Maple Frosted corn flakes with soy milk.

I'm also partial to a fry-up.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Well there are lots of different options you can add to tweaking fried breakfasts, and yours is as good as any other!

2. Sausage or bacon sandwich with brown sauce.

3. Cover a plate in blue corn tortilla chips, black bean chili on that (make in advance so you only need to heat it through in the morning), and then scrambled tofu on top.

4. Black beans, home fries (small cubed potatoes fried in a frying pan), scrambled tofu, with a spicy tomato sauce.

5. Waffles with maple syrup and fruit and cream. Although not easy to come by in the UK, John Lewis on Oxford Street sell (or at least used to) a Philips combination grill/sandwich toaster/waffle iron which was useful, and easy to clean as it uses interchangeable plates for each function so you could take them out and wash them in the sink. Again like the chili you can premake the batter and leave it in the fridge overnight

6. Pancakes with fruit and maple syrup and cream, or omlettes. There are various ways of making vegan versions of these.

7. Hot bread with chocolate. If you have some part-cooked mini baguettes or something they are good for this, just put them in the oven for 10 minutes (or whatever the instructions say) and then cover with lots of chocolate spread.

8. Beans on toast, or scrambled tofu on toast.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

pavotrouge

odd one out here again... I love Japanese and Thai-style breakfasts.

Either miso soup and rice and mixed veggies and nori or a coconut-based rice soup and fruit.
    Or Indian, but I'm too lazy to cook that up most mornings.

Baked breakfast is so quick and easy:
    I just bake all the following in the oven for the following times:
    30 minutes: Nut cutlet or spicy beanburger or sausages, hash browns
    20 minutes: Red pepper, courgette, celery, breaded onion rings
    10 minutes: Mushrooms, tomatoes
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

pavotrouge

Isn't it funny how different cultures have so very different breakfast habits?

I find that in most English-speaking countries and Asia, people usually prefer a warm breakfast while in continental Europe, most people give you a stare if you tell them you eat something that's actually *cooked* for brekkie.

french breakfast here, lol. meaning it has to be sweet.

1.toasted bread with jam or a vegan nutella. i usually add a soy yogurt and a bowl of tea.

2.crêpes !! homemade of course. this time with applesauce, fruits cut in slices, maple syrup,... just about anything in the fridge or cupboard that can be used as a filling.

3.quinoa api !! so easy and so tasty !

4.cereals, muesli or just good ol' oats with soy milk, raisins and a bit of brown sugar. plus some crushed almonds or hazelnuts.

5.waffles. for some reason i always think waffles are better eaten as a mid-afternoon snack, so i rarely eat them at breakfast, unless there's some leftovers.

I always have one of two things:

quinoa flakes (or oats) w/ banana and splash of rice/hemp/soymilk

"cereal" - banana, orange, apple, various berries w/ hempmilk

I always thought a banana mashed with various nuts and seeds would be good. Or try having a tofu scramble w/ peppers and tomatoes, but I'm scared crapless to cook tofu and have it turn out gross.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I still just love a huge bowl of kids cereal best, swimming in soya milk.

scrambled tofu with mushroom, onions, carrots, nut yeast, and spices
    toast with hummus
    tabbouleh-bouleh

spelt and wheatgerm pancakes (american style with raising agent) with lots of vegan spread and maple syrup (the real deal- non of this imitation crap!)

We generally have:

Cereal with soya milk (for our vit B12 daily dose) or:

Fruit smoothie, usually dried blueberries, apple, banana, apricots, any other fruit lying about with either orange/apple juice to blend or soya milk.

Fruit salad with nuts and seeds.

Homemade wholewheat bread (with some buckwheat flour mixed in) with vegan margerine and marmite.

For a special treat we might do a fry up, beans, grilled tomatoes, toast, veggie sausages, beans, savoury waffles, mushrooms etc.
    Silent but deadly :p

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

thanks for mvoving me to the riht thread- sorry didn't see all these great suggestions

yum!

x

Quote Hemlock View Post
    For a special treat we might do a fry up, beans, grilled tomatoes, toast, veggie sausages, beans, savoury waffles, mushrooms etc.
    Seemingly beans are so important that you have to have them twice in the same meal. Hmm, I shall have to bring a gasmask with me if I ever come to visit you and Corum .

A Cheeky Vegan

My favourite vegan breakfast would have to be a bowl full of assorted fruits; bananas, feigeos, guavas, tamarillos, strawberries, pawpaw, pessimon, watermelons, etc all covered with a drizzling of passionfruit pulp! It is soooo devine! 3 years I have been eating breakfast that way and I love it!

that sounds really good, puressence! what are tamarillos and pawpaw? lol they must be in the "exotic fruit" section? ah i love persimmons though!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

A Cheeky Vegan

Hi ellaminnowpea!

Pawpaw are a yellow large elongated or round edible fruit that has small black seeds inside it, the fruit comes from a small North American tree or shrub of the custard apple family, it has large oblong leaves and purple flowers on it. The fruit is sooo creamy and tasty. Another name for them also is Papaya or Papaw.

And Tamarillos or another name Tree Tomato is from a South American shrub of the nightshade family, with edible handsized oblong red fruit, they have tiny black seeds in it too. This fruit is one of my favourites, the juices from it amazing especially when it is with all the other fruits for breakfast.

puressence,
    Can you change your font size back to the default. That's tiny...
    And Tamarillos are ace.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Qaxt

I've never been big on breakfast foods. I'll stick with my Luna bar, thanks. Or maybe some fruit. :P

Fruity pebbles & silk soy milk! Or Van's waffles =) Hmm..although I do love hashbrowns! So many options! lol

At the moment I'm mostly having organic meusli soaked in grapefruit juice overnight with organic soya yoghurt and 2 table spoons of milled flaxseed. And yogi tea

Quote treehugga View Post
    spelt and wheatgerm pancakes (american style with raising agent) with lots of vegan spread and maple syrup (the real deal- non of this imitation crap!)
    When I was little I got taken to a pancake house once and LOVED that imitation crap! I don't even know where I'd be able to buy it now, and would almost certainly chicken out if I saw the ingredients, but I do remember thinking it was delicious at the time
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

porridge! chai porridge, nutmeg porridge, chocolate porridge, banana porridge, plain porridge, porridge with agave, man I love porridge, normally I only have it for breakfast but you know what, after writing this...I'm gonna have some porridge

Weekdays I tend to have cereal and rice milk and fruit or toast and marmalade and a big cup of decent coffee (freshly ground beans brewed in a cafetière) before rushing out of the door to go to work.

Weekends I like beans on toast or a full-on fry up (mushrooms, bread, sausages, potatoes, beans and tinned tomato). I love the tomatoes squished into fried bread.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    porridge! chai porridge, nutmeg porridge, chocolate porridge, banana porridge, plain porridge, porridge with agave, man I love porridge, normally I only have it for breakfast but you know what, after writing this...I'm gonna have some porridge
    Is porridge oatmeal? I feel like I've ask this before but I forgot...

I always have a green smoothie for breakfast but I ate breakfast foods other times of day. My favorite is oatmeal with banana and PB. Or a toasted bagel with vegan margarine and jelly. Or bagel with apple and PB.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

yeh porridge is oatmeal. I've never had oatmeal and PB...that sounds luuuush! Might have to try it when I'm allowing myself PB again

Default Re: amazing whole grain breakfast

Quote n0r1 View Post
    A concoction my roommate dreamed up:

• handful raw oats
    • small handful uncooked millet
    • 1 banana
    • few splooshes soy milk
    • cinnamon
    • nutmeg
    • pinch salt
    • toasted nuts if you want (pecans/almonds)
    • tsp or so flax seeds, toasted & lightly ground
    • dried cranberries or golden raisins

that sounds yummy !
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quote squigaletta View Post
    yeh porridge is oatmeal. I've never had oatmeal and PB...that sounds luuuush! Might have to try it when I'm allowing myself PB again
    Yeah, a lot of times I don't allow myself to buy it, usually I go months at a time without it. How do you do chocolate oatmeal?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

boatsteem1

Nothing beats pear and roobarb cream with soya milk and tomato toasts to go with it!
    That's yum yum!

Normally I have whole-oat porridge with strawberries and ginger, though. I have it with blueberry soup which makes it much better than with milk.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Yeah, a lot of times I don't allow myself to buy it, usually I go months at a time without it. How do you do chocolate oatmeal?
    I do a couple of things for chocolate, just making it with chocolate soya milk, for something a bit richer I melt a couple of squares of chocolate or a couple of truffles into it. And for something really basic I just add cocoa powder and a bit more agave nectar.

As I was mentioning in another thread, our hotel in Barcelona served salad for breakfast which was very nice and refreshing - it made me think I will eat more salad at breakfast time at home. I often have sprouted seeds or cucumber with my toast so I'm going to diversify.

Porridge may be better when it's cold though

Vegan pancakes topped with something ridiculously sugary, apple, strawberries, and some vanilla soy ice cream. I'm pretty sure I could eat this every day and never be sick of it.