Thread: Is there anything wrong with having tofu every day?

Default Is there anything wrong with having tofu every day?

I seem to be Eating a protein replacement substance of some kind with a main meal once a day.
    It tastes good enough the way I make it, but I'm not sure if I'm being far too lazy by not soaking and cooking lots of beans and lentils.
    Been getting quite a lot of veggies in but just a bit worried about my excessive protein Via tofu situation.
    I know I'll get bored one day but I'm just making easy meals.I think this is why I Gave up being vegan last time. I do have a recipe book but I've just been reluctant to buy all the many dried ingredients that I need for a full varied cooking from scratch diet.

I think I've just forgotten how easy all that stuff is.

Default Re: Is there anything wrong with having tofu every day?

Quote clouddog View Post
    I seem to be Eating a protein replacement substance of some kind with a main meal once a day.
    It tastes good enough the way I make it, but I'm not sure if I'm being far too lazy by not soaking and cooking lots of beans and lentils.
    Been getting quite a lot of veggies in but just a bit worried about my excessive protein Via tofu situation.
    I know I'll get bored one day but I'm just making easy meals.I think this is why I Gave up being vegan last time. I do have a recipe book but I've just been reluctant to buy all the many dried ingredients that I need for a full varied cooking from scratch diet.

I think I've just forgotten how easy all that stuff is.
    I would think that eating tofu every day would get expensive?

There are many sources of vegan protein to choose from if that is what you are worried about. Beans don't have to be prepared from dried, although this is the cheapest and healthiest way to eat them. Canned beans are still healthy and reasonable too, and can provide a quick meal or two. Also, lentils tend to cook faster from dried and require no soaking. Red lentils in particular take about ten or fifteen minutes to cook.

Have you ever tried tempeh? That's another option for a quick protein source. Chickpea flour is great to have around to make vegan omelets. It's sort of like making a pancake and you fold it over with veggies in it. It has a savory taste and provides a lot of protein.

Some grains and vegetables also provide good sources of protein, such as quinoa, millet, oats, broccoli, brown rice, spinach, sweet potatoes. Then there are seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower, chia, and all kinds of nuts to try for a protein source. You could throw together a meal with cooked quinoa, steamed or sauteed brocoli and other veggies, maybe throw in a few sunflower seeds and a fruit or fruit compote/sauce and have a filling and high protein meal right there. Bean soups are quick and filling too.

You can also get some extra protein just by drinking a glass or two of soy milk too. A good brand of organic regular soy milk usually runs about six grams of protein. A diet with a variety of beans, nuts/seeds, grains, and vegetables will provide plenty of protein. No need to spend hours cooking.

I am gone all day from 6:15am to 5pm and come home and make dinner every night. I rarely spend more than 45 minutes in the kitchen in the evenings. And I still have healthy homemade meals daily. On Sundays I spend an hour or so preparing five lunches for my work week. It might be a batch of soup and some muffins and dates, or salads and hummus wraps, or sandwiches and fruit etc. I also on occasion make my batches of homemade bread when I am home on Sundays, my rest day. Then freeze the extra loaves for future use. I do the same with dried beans, cook them all on Sunday, a whole bunch, then keep frozen and have on hand for the week. Once you have a routine down it is no big deal at all.

If I go out of town or stay with relatives etc for a few days, I prepare all my food to bring ahead and will bring stuff like potato salads, or packaged tempeh that I can cut and make into a sandwich with cabbage/sauerkraut, maybe some dry oats and fruit with spices that I will just need to add water to. Things that are easy to pack and quick to prepare.

From a health standpoint, I don't think it is terrible to eat tofu every day. But you want to vary your diet to make sure you get the nutrients you need from different amino acids.

Thanks for your reply Robin!

I don't know which amino acids are in what, is it a good idea to find out?

I love tempeh, i haven't been able to find it yet around here.

I will eat oats and drink soya milk a bit more and will definitely get back to eating lentils... buying some seeds sounds easy...

I have a week which is coming up which will be busy (for me) beyond compare and I've got to get that out of the way with my basic planning before I have the head space for thinking about recipe's i have to think about even slightly....

In November I will look at some recipes.

Quote clouddog View Post

I love tempeh, i haven't been able to find it yet around here.

Try an Oriental supermarket! They tend to have tofu for a fraction of the price in supermarkets as well.

Thanks!!
    i will..