Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan breakfast?

Desertthorn

Default Re: Favorite vegan breakfast?

I love orange pancakes. I use orange juice and a bit of orange zest to a homemade pancake mix. Its delicious. I think I got the recipe from fatfreevegan.

Love the idea of Mushrooms on toast. Do you saute them?

I have read this thread from start to finish over the last few days, some great ideas!

We have:
    Porridge w/soy milk
    Museli w/soy milk
    Pancakes with lemon juice/sugar
    Toast (homemade wholemeal bread) w/almond nut butter
    Toast w/choc hazelnut butter
    Vegan fry up - sausages/hash browns/beans/tomatoes/mushrooms

Vegan choc/hazelnut spread is sooooo expensive so I'm going to start making my own nut butters, yummy! I always have a handful of soaked nuts/seeds/mixedraisins and cranberries etc too!

Quote sunflowerseed
    Vegan choc/hazelnut spread is sooooo expensive
    Have you tried the Spar own-brand one? Its cheap and vegan! I use it all the time.
    Houmous atá ann!

Oooh I haven't, no, thank you!!

I love to make a fruit-pulp muesli ... different oats, spelt and other grains, then I cut some fruits (pears, apples, bananas, oranges) to small pieces and mix it with the grains.
    I put some more fruits into my Vita-Mix without adding extra water and shred it to a thick fruit-pulp that I then use to prepare the muesli. So delicious and of course much healthier than the version with milk/yoghurt!

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    what is your favorite vegan breakfast?

mine is anything with potatoes... i loooove hashbrowns (but i tend to get stuffy and allergic when i eat potatos so i dont eat them that often!)
    i also love adding potatoes to my braekfast/brunch! but my fave is tofu scramble with green onion and spinach for sure! i'd add a picture, but i'm not quite sure how to do that yet!

Sometimes I will cook up a huge batch of wild rice and then during the week for breakfast I will dish up a bowl of it and add in fresh blueberries (or make it into a warm blueberry sauce to pour on top of the wild rice), chopped walnut or whole almonds, sometimes dried fruits or chopped apple and cinammon. Sometimes instead of the blueberries I will add maple syrup on it. Wild rice is abundant in Minnesota where I live and the Native Americans harvest it and sell it. Lots of people up here make the maple syrup too. So this meal is very Minnesotan. I have made wild rice blueberry muffins with these ingredients as well.

Quote Cloudy View Post
    Mushrooms on toast! Mmmm
    YES! But I always have quinoa for breakfast, or something weird like sweet potato or leftover curry.

Edit: Mushrooms on toast on a bed of spinach is the BEST.

I have been enjoying a large bowl of various fruits in the morning, topped with chia seeds. Mango, pears, grapes, banana, various combinations.

I just made my first real vegan recipe: apple, carrot, walnut muffins. I brought them to yoga this morning and they were a hit! I have to say, they are the most amazing muffins I have ever had. They're moist and tasty and healthy. They have apples, carrots, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, coconut, brown sugar, ground flax seed (hydrated with hot water as an egg substitute) and other normal baking ingredients. It probably also helped that they were like 95% organic. Either way, I'm very pleased with the turnout.

I rotate : either quinoa cream with soy milk, agave nectar and spices, a homemade muesli with oat, soy and quinoa flakes with cranberries, raisins and sometimes nuts or almonds added in, or soft tofu with a few hazelnuts and agave syrup. Yum !

Quote Aurore
    quinoa cream
    That sounds interesting, it is just a quinoa flake porridge?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    That sounds interesting, it is just a quinoa flake porridge?
    No, what i call quinoa cream is quinoa in powder with the consistency of starch (very different from the thin quinoa flour), pretty much like cornstarch, so in terms of consistency it's really a thick cream, you can sweeten it with anything you want and add spices for more flavour.

Normally when I'm working I end up having fruit and coffee.

Weekend's consist of vegan fry-ups. I really want to try scrambled tofu as well, but haven't got around to it yet.

hedgehoglovely

I've recently started putting chocolate coconut milk on my muesli as a little indulgent treat

I just found that combining 200ml M&S soya milk,150ml Kara coconut milk and 65grams oats makes the best porridge I have ever tasted.

I just had one the best breakfasts I've ever had! It was tofu scramble and strawberry muffins. <3
    This time I added some milk and nutritional yeast, minus the usual green bell peppers. SO good! My mom and dad liked it too! It also had onions, tomatoes, flax seeds, and spinach! And lots of salt unfortunately.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

My favourite breakfast at all is some sweet porridge made with oats + soymilk + raw sugar + vegan chocolate cream + coconuts and a glass of orange or red multivitamin juice.
    If I am too hungry then I also eat a handful of nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew, macadamias... whatever) with a slice of bread.

Toasts, olive oil, sliced tomatoes. Black coffee. Heaven!

Lately my weekday breakfast is porridge w/frozen berries, flaxseeds and/or nuts, agave syrup and soya or almond milk, and coffee with soya milk. I like cornflakes and muesli but I find that they don't keep me full for as long as porridge does!

At the weekends I like to make more elaborate/fun breakfasts such as pancakes, savoury VVAV Fronch toast w/ketchup, baked beans on toast w/Marmite, porridge w/white chocolate. Today I made boxty (Irish potato pancakes) with seitan sausages.
    Houmous atá ann!

Mine is pretty simple, i'm afraid. Tea, a bowl of soy milk or a soy yogurt, and homemade wholewheat bread (actually a bun type of bread, which is delicious even if you don't make a sandwich out of it).
    I sometimes elaborate with pancakes or crepes.

Not a breakfast person, but recently, have been drinking hot water, that counts right?
    “We do not have the right to be not offended” -Someone on Earth

I've been eating breakfast trifle lately:

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I've been eating breakfast trifle lately:
    Oooooo that looks good, what's in it?
    Houmous atá ann!

Blended raspberries, sliced banana, Alpro vanilla pudding, more sliced banana, topped with Alpro plain yoghurt mixed with oats. Sprinkled with chocolate

Sometimes l make an omelette with chickpea flower (edited: flour, of course!, l just live like this, l quite like it), add some spring onions or mushrooms. If you mix it with margarine it gives a very soft texture and is yummy. I have it on toast. Always wholmeal.
    Last edited by Jara; Mar 18th, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Jara View Post
    Sometimes l make an omelette with chickpea flower, add some spring onions or mushrooms. If you mix it with margarine it gives a very soft texture and is yummy. I have it on toast. Always wholmeal.
    I like chickpea flour omelettes too, Jara . I always add a little bit of black salt to mine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Namak
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Blended raspberries, sliced banana, Alpro vanilla pudding, more sliced banana, topped with Alpro plain yoghurt mixed with oats. Sprinkled with chocolate
    Wow, that sounds very nice indeed! You defiantely know how to breakfast!
    Houmous atá ann!

I've been meaning to check out chickpea flour omelettes for a while now - how "convincing" are they?

Quote VampireJack View Post
    I've been meaning to check out chickpea flour omelettes for a while now - how "convincing" are they?
    Emm I've been vegan for a while so I'm not sure how like egg omelettes they are, but they are really nice in their own right.
    Houmous atá ann!

Melon, any type except honeydew, then for second breakfast an hour or two later datorade
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Jumbo organic porridge oats with ground flax and more recently a few sultanas.
    unexpected item in bagging area..

Current strange favorite is Hummus with Tortilla chips. Very very bad Tabbycat. Yes, I know. But... some days you just gotta have a few bad things because they taste so good.

And I've caught yet another cold (which hopefully won't hang around long), so my appetite is next to nil.

Quote VampireJack View Post
    For me they are really "convincing", l even make spanish omelettes (with potatoes) with it. Apparently in Spain they used to use chickpea flower (edited: flour) after the civil war, when they hadn't got eggs. So, it isn't new!

And, Blueberries, yes, l add some salt and, sometimes, some seasoning mix!
    Last edited by Jara; Mar 18th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Jara View Post
    For me they are really "convincing", l even make spanish omelettes (with potatoes) with it.
    Anyone have a recipe?

Quote Tabbycat View Post
    Current strange favorite is Hummus with Tortilla chips. Very very bad Tabbycat. Yes, I know. But... some days you just gotta have a few bad things because they taste so good.
    I hate when people say that food is 'good' or 'bad'! It's just food, some of it has different nutritional value than others but that doesn't give it a moral value!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote deniselynn View Post

Anyone have a recipe?
    Em, I usually just kind of throw chickpea flour and unsweetened soya milk together until it looks like a batter and then add seasonings... next time I make it I will take proper notes and measurments!
    Houmous atá ann!

Thanks! Just wondered if you were doing anything special. I looked up some recipes online and have the general idea now, looks easy peasy!

This thread inspired me to pick up some gram flour this evening so I could have an omelette for breakfast tomorrow. Surprised to hear that you put soya milk in yours though Blueberries. I tried that a few years ago and thought it tasted really weird.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I hate when people say that food is 'good' or 'bad'! It's just food, some of it has different nutritional value than others but that doesn't give it a moral value!
    The Hummus is certainly very healthy but the tortilla chips are borderline junk food. That's why I said it's bad. Doesn't stop me from eating it.

Quote deniselynn View Post
    Anyone have a recipe?
    For a simple omelette I add sometimes olive oil and another times margarine. The idea of the olive oil comes from a tipical food from Nice, like a hard pankace made in the oven with gram flowe (and again: flour!): (it's yummy)

https://sites.google.com/site/marche.../socca-nicoise

For the spanish omelette I prefer margarine, it softens it but also l've used coconut milk. I can't tell you about cantities as l do it by hand. You have to fry the potatoes, very thin sliced, or if you prefer, you can just boil them and finish frying them in a little oil. Mix with the batter, add salt and -this is the most triky part-; add the mix to a pan with some oil in a high hit and then turn the hit dawn, like this is going to be crispier outside. Turn it with the help of a plate, and that's it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Jara; Mar 18th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks!

Quote Barry View Post
    This thread inspired me to pick up some gram flour this evening so I could have an omelette for breakfast tomorrow. Surprised to hear that you put soya milk in yours though Blueberries. I tried that a few years ago and thought it tasted really weird.
    It probably depends on the brand, soya milks can vary quite surprisingly. I use an unsweeted soya milk that is literally just soya beans and water (a cheap Spanish supermarket own-brand that is much nicer than some of the other more expensive soya milks here).
    Houmous atá ann!

Fair enough, I'll give it another go! I have a MASSIVE bag of gram flour to get through now, so I think it'll be omelettes everyday for the next while... Does anyone have a way to make them fluffier? I really like the taste, but the texture is a bit too hard.

EDIT: Maybe some silken tofu would improve the texture?
    Last edited by Barry; Mar 14th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

I love Melons!

"let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Honey Dew Melon when I can get them, and Bannana's when I can't.

Quote Barry View Post
    Fair enough, I'll give it another go! I have a MASSIVE bag of gram flour to get through now, so I think it'll be omelettes everyday for the next while... Does anyone have a way to make them fluffier? I really like the taste, but the texture is a bit too hard.

EDIT: Maybe some silken tofu would improve the texture?
    I don't add tofu to mine but I have seen recipes that are a mixture of chickpea flour and blended tofu.
    Houmous atá ann!

Buckwheat granola (with buckwheat groats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, ground flaxseed, almond butter, applesauce, maple syrup (or agave), almond extract. Probably the easiest granola I have ever made and it keeps for a long time (I brought it when camping a week not long ago). Very crunchy and makes a nice homemade cold cereal with plant milk.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Oat Groats with fresh fruit, spices (cinammon, orange zest etc), seeds and/or nuts if you wish, sweetener if you wish. Very filling for a long period of time, and oat groats are quite nutty, chewy and flavorful compared to the more creamy steel cut or oatmeal variety for something different. I make a big batchof oat graots and keep it in the refrigerator and add it to dishes throughout the week because it takes a long time to cook for one meal.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't add tofu to mine but I have seen recipes that are a mixture of chickpea flour and blended tofu.
    I totally nailed my gram-flour omelette recipe not long after I posted that. No tofu was needed in the end, it's all about how long you cook it for. I ended up having them for breakfast every day for about a month. I'm pretty sick of them now!

Quote Barry View Post

I totally nailed my gram-flour omelette recipe not long after I posted that....I'm pretty sick of them now!
    Haha! If you want something slightly different to do with it you could make chickpea scamble. I just made up the omelette mixture, put it in the microwave for about 3 minutes and then mash it with a bit of extra soya milk until it looks scambled.
    Houmous atá ann!