Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite vegan breakfast?

Default Re: Favorite breakfast food?

my favorite breakfast (god i dont know how many times ive posted in this thread lol) is definately SMOOTHIES! any mix of strawberries, peaches, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, mangoes, mmmm w/ soymilk and oj and hemp oil
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

LittleNellColumbia

Afer some careful thinking, i have decided what is my fave. A HUGE bowl of crunchola with vanilla soy milk. nuthin beats it.

But its really high in calories so thats a bit depressing.

I love avacado on toast.

weet-bix with kiwi fruit and soy milk is quite yummy too.

im luvin peanut butter on toast too, but i never eat it.

and i think if im ever off my head, ill try maple syrup sausages

Robin

Well, I suck big-time at making breakfast (I like my sleep waaay to much) so I usually just have two pieces of hard-bread (they sell it at IKEA I'm sure if you don't live in sweden) and cocoa made on oat-milk. Hard-bread's packed with fibre so it keeps you full for a while.

It gets a bit dull after a while though so now since I've heard so many good things about smoothies, why not?

Do I understand the nature of smoothies right if I say it's fruits and soymilk mixed together in a blender? *is going to shop for nice fruits tomorrow*

RubyDuby

smoothies, i've learned, work better with frozen fruits. makes it thick and frosty like a shake. Or just use a frozen banana and the rest fresh fruits
    My favorite- chocolate soymilk, frozen banana, and strawberries (+ some ground flaxseeds) yummy.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Robin

Great, I'll remember that then

Quote Veganmama
    My usual is Museil with some fresh sprouts

What are fresh sprouts?

Wholemeal organic porridge made with ricemilk or water and a chopped banana mmmmmmmmmmm!

Chocolate Oy! on Rice Krispies, the breakfast of champions!!!

Angry Re: Favorite breakfast food?

Most of my colleagues have coffee for breakfast and Im trying to get them on to soy milk but they all say Eeeeeew soy milk, thats digusting. I haven't tried it but its disgusting' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Breakfast?

I'm too lazy to see if there are any other threads.

I need something to eat in the morning that is quick but it has to be gluten free as well.

I never know what to have other than fruit and it gets boring just eating fruit everyday.

Oo I am rubbish at starting topics i must say.

Please and thank you.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 4th, 2005 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Merged with existing breakfast thread
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Re: Breakfast?

Muesli (you can let it soak overnight in your refridgerator) or oatmeal. Or are you looking for something even quicker? I make a batch of banana or pumpkin or oatmeal muffins and freeze the leftovers for quick breakfasts-on-the-go. Or I make breakfast breads, slice them and then freeze the leftovers.

Or make a sandwich before going to bed (using gluten-free bread, of course) and have that in the morning. Who says you can't have a veggie burger for breakfast?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

A lot of things contain gluten even oats do.

I guess I can find alternatives some where in this place.

It is just difficult as most breakfasts seem to contain oats or something.

I suppose most things are suitable for breakfasts i've never really tried anything savoury as of yet
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Sorry, not having a gluten allergy personally I was unaware that it's present in oats. I would certainly try non-traditional breakfast foods. I never liked most breakfast foods myself.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Soy yogurt (a flavoured kind like peach or strawberry) with FROZEN blueberries is devine. The frozen blueberries some how clump the yougut all together and it makes it a velvety smooth treat. Have it with a glass of orange juice (calcium fortified would be even better).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Dianecrna
    Sorry, not having a gluten allergy personally I was unaware that it's present in oats. I would certainly try non-traditional breakfast foods. I never liked most breakfast foods myself.
    No worries

Is there any other calcium fortified juice things as I can't have citrus either.

Another reason why breakfast is so hard?! Lol

I'll get some sort of yogurt when ever I go shopping again I think.

If you are concerned about calcium why not take a calcium supplement? It's cheaper than taking anything that has been "fortified."

I'm taking a multi vitamin at the moment but it isn't that good I don't think so I will probs get a new one just to use why I'm trying to sort out my diet.

Hey Sarah -

I got some really yummy puffed millet cereal the other week and I have been eating it everyday since. it's very good with vanilla almond milk.

I also make a big batch of smoothies either the night before or when I get up and have it throughout the day.

I put berries (black, rasp, & straw berries) a banana and some orange juice but you could switch the orange juice for apple juice,pineapple juice, or mango juice.
    I also add to that flax seed oil and my iron pills. It's really thick and fills me up!

also you could get some millet grains and cook them up as you would oatmeal...it takes much longer to cook but it's pretty tasty with some brown sugar or maple syrup.

You could get some brown rice bread, toast it and spread some kind of nut butter on top.

fried potatoes are good too. I cut up some potatoes add lots of colourful bell peppers, some jalapenos and onions.

you can buy some gluten-free muffin mix from your healthfood store and bake them up the night before.

scramble tofu with onions, bell peppers and seasonings.

I know some of those aren't very quick to make, but you could make them the night before and just heat them up in the morning. And the more you practice cooking or baking, the easier and quicker it becomes...

Let me know if you would like some more suggestions... I will search my brain for more if you'd like

i cant have gluten either. theres some great oatmeal replacement ideas in there, aswell as tons of other ideas.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 4th, 2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Edited to remove link now that thread is merged

Please and thank you to all

i just drink a juicebox for breakfast, in class

So many different types of breakfasts I can have a different one everyday lol. I've heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Now all I have to do is going shopping.

Hey Sarah -

what kind of foods to you like eating? maybe I can help you find some easy recipes that you can make yourself!

Like to take raw oatmeal and let it soak in the fridge for about an hour in Silk Very Vinalla Soy Milk; then toss in raw sunflower seeds, pineapple, rasins, and cinnamon. Or,,, just zap an Amy's Organic Breakfast Burrito.

how yummy sounding! i made pancakes with strawberry applesauce today and then i nuked some frozen berries with almonds and some vanilla extract until it was steaming and poured it over the pancakes...too good!
    Peace Love Surf.

LittleNellColumbia

I made vegan pancakes for the first time yesterday, they were so good, I was just cooking one and eating it and made my way through the whole batch.

I have discovered that I am a glutton for pancakes.

I was going to make some more but people are viewing my flat and yesterday the whole place totally minged so I had to throw open all the windows to air it and cos its so cold I was sitting on the sofa watching tv with my hat on, hood up and boots on!!!

But hey, its worth it for all that pancake joy.

Usually I don't eat breakfast, I'll just have some juice on the way to class.

But if I ever really want something big I go to the cafeteria and my faves are toasted sesame bagel with vegan margarine and homefries. (hehe so bad for you, but so yummy) oh, and fruit salad too!

mango woman

I enjoy putting ANYTHING on toast.. and also my latest thing is taking any sort of wheat or similar product [rolled oats.. bulgur.. quinoa i have but havent tried it yet.. etc] and either mashing bananas up with it for the consistency or using a little soy milk.. and then adding as much crap as i can. [raisins, fruit, nuts, peanut butter, flaxseed, anything.. you name it and it tastes AWWWWEEEESOME.. ]

it's funny cuz i love so many of the like more complicated things and stuff, but for me i still LOVE cereal with milk alternative, cut up fruit and some nuts...YUM, it's so wholesome, quick and just good
    Peace Love Surf.

OH, I can't believe I forgot....

Hemp Plus granola with soymilk. Mmmmm... a huge bowl of that.

I am a potato freak so hash browns, potato pancakes, and home fries.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I made scrambled tofu and it was pretty tasty I say!

I didn't expect to like it, i never did enjoy scrambled eggs or any kind of egg dish for that matter.

But this was good.

Saute onion & garlic in oil for a few minutes.

Add firm tofu & pinch or two of tumeric and "scramble" with a fork until crumbly.

Add chopped green, yellow & red peppers & chopped brocolli.

Stir and cover until veggies are slightly cooked.

Add salt & pepper.

Serve on toast or in a flour tortilla with some soy cheese & chopped green onion with ketchup on the side!

mango woman

Quote thecatspajamas1
    OH, I can't believe I forgot....

Hemp Plus granola with soymilk. Mmmmm... a huge bowl of that.

that stuff is awesome. too bad the box here is like five bucks for maybe two bowls!!!!

terra, they tasted even better w/ some nutritional yeast and extra spices!

Quote foxytina_69
    terra, they tasted even better w/ some nutritional yeast and extra spices!
    Oh my gosh!

I can't believe I forgot to put the nutrional yeast in.... i even had the bag out!

What kind of spices would you recommend Tina?

Thanks for the reminder!

salt, pepper, cayenne for a little kick, basil or oregano for an italian feel, or if not, u could always use cumin for a little smoky flavour. garlic powder because it goes great with it, a little dill makes it taste more 'eggy' and then the nutritional yeast. yum!

on and tumeric to make them yellow and parsley at the end to make them pretty!

i never knew cumin has a smokey taste...intersting..i'd like to try that!

Thanks for the suggestions Tina!

I love dill, so i might try that next time and the cumin too!

i LOVE scrambled tofu...i always put some salsa into it too...
    lol, i always do that, where i have something out to cook with and then i forget to add it
    Peace Love Surf.

I use mixed italian herbs in mine and a little bit of dry mustard powder and KETCHUP of course

ooo dry mustard powder i use too. thats so yummy.

I'm not much of a morning person and usually feel a bit
    I used to be a stong black coffee and ciggie gal and eat nothing til lunchtime- prob partly how I ended up with an ulcer .
    I still don't like breakfast much but I usually have a huge smoothie mid-morning or muesli if I'm in a rush.

it depends on my mood. usually it is either miso or seaweed soup, bean curd skins stuffed with sweet rice, and tea. if i have a sweet tooth then i will make a smoothie with frozen berries, bananas & soy milk, and a glass of coffee.

tabitha

I usually have porridge, but its not my favourite. I like bagels with marmalade best, but always feel that porridge keeps me going for longer.

I love potatoes in the morning. Either grated or leftover mashed mixed with tofu and a little flour and fried until crisp then served with tofuti sour cream and/or applesauce. Another favorite is sprouted grain bread toasted and smeared with peanut butter. Depends on my energy level in the morning.

sugarmouse

i dnt usualy like breakfast..i know i should though..occasionally i wake up hungry and i like it, cos i know i can eat then but usualy it makes me feel sick! i dont mind brunch..usually tofu scrabled or i jus nibble on whatever i happen to have or be making for later....

Porridge with rice milk -I eat it about five or six mornings a week! Sometimes with raisins, ground almonds or a little brown sugar.

Toast with either margarine and jam or peanut butter and jam

Cereal with soy milk

Hashbrowns

Waffles

Pancakes
    Peace, love, and happiness.