Thread: Leftover roast veg?

Smile Leftover roast veg?

Tonight for the first time I made roast vegetables. (How can I have been veggie for the past 10 months and not tried this yet?!)

It was lovely.

The problem is ... I have lots of leftovers. Can you keep roast veggies? (Aubergine, courgette, onion, mushroom, tomato, red and green peppers) What can you do with them as leftovers? Do you re-heat them? If so, how? Fry them in a skillet? Re-oven them? Eat them cold?

Any thoughts, hints, tips, or recipes would surely be appreciated

Thanks -
    Webster.

(And for any roast veggie newbies, I'll take a moment to explain how I did them, and how easy it is ...

One aubergine, diced/chopped/sliced/whatever
    One courgette, sliced (kind of thick slices, and this turned out to be the tastiest bit)
    One onion, diced
    One red pepper, one green pepper, sliced
    Two small tomatoes, wedged
    6-8 mushrooms, sliced

Pop in roasting tray, add a fair dash of olive oil, a fair sprinkle of 'Mixed Herbs' (regular dried kind - I'm lazy), dash of salt and pepper ... Good stir and ...

Pop into oven at 220 C, stir every 10 minutes or so ... And it is done in about 25 minutes, or until the veggies look lovely and roasted.

I then served them over a bed of boiled rice - Very, very nice. (And a glass of Chardonnay ... )

I just keep them and eat the same thing the following day, microwave it and make some fresh sauce or whatever.

Bit basic, but works!

ConsciousCuisine

You can take an assortment of them and make a pate' (blend with a bit o' broth and some seed/nut meal, garlic, onion, spices such as rosemary, sage, thyme, egg replacer, nutritional yeast, bread crumbs) and layer it according to color, or blend it all together put it in a lightly oiled mold, bake in a warmed oven at 350 for 20 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered and make a "Baked Tagine" to be sliced and served with couscous or rice and mixed baby greens with a citrus-raspberry viniagrette...

I know it's awful to say, but I usually microwave my leftover veg but you could probably re-heat in the skillet, too. It also seems that your roasted veg would deep-freeze fine but I'm not sure of that.

You could pile them over a bed of quinoa. Quinoa and roasted veg make a lovely pairing that's so hard to resist.

Sometimes, I'll add a bit of sauteed tofu and make a roasted veg scramble of it. It's good as taco filling or enchilada stuffing with salsa poured overtop.

Or... make some falafel and mix some roasted veg with it. Drizzle with vegan tiziki sauce or tahini sauce. Stuff into pitas. Eat. Die of happiness. Repeat.

why would anyone be new to roast vegetables :S

The leftovers will also make a nice sandwich. If you assemble the sandwich, wrap it up and weight it with a thick book for a couple of hours, the juices from the vegetables soak into the bread - this is similar to a traditional mediterranean dish called pan bagnat (spelled in a variety of ways but means "bathed bread"!). Adding a few olives or capers to the filling makes it extra-tasty.

make bubble & squeak with left over roast veg, if you have cold roast potatoes and some carrots, cabbage, zucchini, brussel sprouts etc ( you definately need a green veg in there) mash them all up together and fry them up like a mashy pancake till crispy and golden brown - mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

I imagine, just heat them up, and dump them in a pita! YUMMY! I want that righ now, I'm so hungry! I hate being at work with no food!

It's no wonder I'm overweight! Binge!~

Leftover grilled or roasted veg has numerous options available to it.

You can add them to soups.

They make killer antipasto; leave them out at room temp, toss in some good olive oil and lemon juice, add some nice olives to this, and it makes for a wonderful afternoon snack.

Add to pastas.

Grind into a paste to flavour stews, soups, risottos, etc.

They make great pizza toppings.

etc. ad nauseum

I made some roasted veggies this afternoon too, perfect fall food. Used store bought veggie broth, a little tamari, maple syrup and a few bay leaves and garlic. After removing the veggies, I added some more veggie broth and some whole wheat flour to the pan and put it back in the oven a few minutes for gravy. I'll just reheat them in the microwave tommorrow at work. The aroma will bring out the curious ;-)