Thread: The Slow Food Revolution

Question The Slow Food Revolution

I know this started in Italy a while back, but has it made any inroads where you all live?

I've seen a few newspaper articles but I'm not sure how many devotees the movement has. However there is a bit of an anti processed food trend going on here independently of that. There have been a few recent books (such as Felicity Lawrence's "Not on the Label") and television programs (there's one called "You Are What You Eat" which advocates a near-vegan diet, unfortunately plus occasional fish and poultry) which are making people reappraise their diets a bit. I have the impression that more people are trying to prepare and sometimes grow their own foods - not sure what %age of the population though.

What about in Australia, has Slow Food caught on there?

No, I don't think it has caught on here, though I'm in a regional town so don't know what's happening in the cities. I'll be in Sydney in a couple of days' time, and will meet up with my vegan son - he'll know the latest situation. We get a few articles in the press, but sadly, more and more people are eating fast foods. Sometimes, when I've spent time in town, I stop at a shopping complex for a soyaccino, and notice it is crowded with people chomping away on burgers, etc - often with their little kiddies eating a saucerful of chips for lunch. I often wonder if any of these people these days eat together as a family.

I read the review of 'Not on the Label'. I'd love to grow my own, but in an apartment it is impossible. I don't eat fast foods or any sort of junk food, and it seems sad to me that these days people don't know what tomatoes really tasted like when I grew them.