Thread: Need Some Good Reading Material for a Teenager

Default Need Some Good Reading Material....

....for a teenage boy that is interested in veganism. A lady at work said that her son was asking questions about why I am a vegetarian and she tried explaining it to him, but told him that he might do better to talk to me. As I expect I will not get to see him anytime soon, I told her that I would send some stuff home with her for him to read. Of course, I will print out a copy of "Why Vegan", but if anyone knows of something really good for a teenager to read, please let me know.

Thank you so much for reading

Veganmama

A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian Judy Krizmanic

Scientific Basis of Vegetarianism by William Harris, MD

OMG!! I have been a vegetarian for almost 8 years and have not read "Why Vegan?" since a few months after that. I just read the pamplet that I printed out for my co-worker's son and could not even finish it because I was crying too hard. If only I could get everyone I know to just read it. Then if they continued to eat meat, I would know that they did it because they are unfeeling...not because they are ignorant. There are quite a few people that I know would stop eating meat if they would just LET themselves stop being ignorant. Thing is...they KNOW it and that is why they want to stay ignorant. What can I do??? I'm ready to do more than just abstain myself...there MUST be a way that I can convince others. Has anyone had any luck with converting people around them? I became vegetarian with a buddy and we have both remained from day one (I educated her as I educated myself and we never knew how bad things were until after we turned veggie). I converted a couple of people after that, but neither of them remained vegetarian. I was totally disappointed in one of them because he's a very sweet and compassionate person and I thought he would never go back. He went back to eating meat when he hooked up with a girlfriend from the Phillipines. I'm so sorry to be rambling...but I'm very upset right now. There must be a good way to get people to listen.

Oh GROSS!! My neighbors are having a cookout today. My partner is a meateater and he loves to eat with them. We usually all go over (us and our daughter) and I always try not to think about what they are eating as my daughter and I eat our own food. Today...I don't think I can do that.

"Being Vegan" by Joanne Stepaniak

the classic: "diet for a new amercia" by john robbins. it completely converted me & it reads pretty fast. he also has a new book out called "the food revolution" which might be a better bet because it was written more recently (i think dfna was written in the late 80's).

I might have to check out some of these books I just became vegan the other day.

Michele, this maybe too late.

The Livewire Guide to Going, Being and Staying Veggie
    Juliet Gellatley

A brilliant book - the definitive guide for teenagers who are, or want to be, vegetarian/vegan. It covers the lot from how farmed animals and fish are kept and killed, feeding the world's starving to environmental destruction. There are also tips for new veggies to help answer common questions that they may encounter. This great book also demystifies health and nutrition, making it a fascinating, easy read. Viva! best seller.

http://www.viva.org.uk/shop/booksviva.htm

Thank you everyone!!

Hi Michelle, any book by Gary Francione, especially his "Introduction to Animal Rights - Your Child or the Dog?"
    But just this week I finished reading a magnificent book by a wonderful guy - "Seal Wars" by Paul Watson - what a man!

Thanks Eve, I need to get to the bookstore! I'm kind of frustrated right now, though, because his mom first told me that her son would like to know more about vegetarianism and then when I started just telling her a few things about why I was, she seemed fairly interested. Now, she's been telling me how she has a friend that works at a chicken plant nearby. He does maintenance in a small egg "house" (only 60 chickens) and says they don't have it bad at all. I'm guessing that these chickens are laying eggs that will be hatched and I tried to explain to her that if she buys eggs at walmart (which is a place I really despise) she's not getting those eggs. But, I do know how much she seems to love horses and I know that her son helped one of his fellow boy scouts get his eagle scout whatever by hooking him up with a job expanding a fence on a local reservation for abused horses. I am hoping that if they can both feel compassion for the horses, they can feel it for cows, etc. as well. So...I'm not giving up.

beforewisdom

ceTeenagers are notorious for eating poorly. Vegans are notorious for eating poorly. Put the two together and.......ugh!

If you can get him to read a second book, I highly recommend SIMPLY VEGAN by Debra Wasserman.

It will teach him the basics of good nutrition and it will teach some good basic recipies which will appeal to him.

Most importantly it is brief and an easy read, so it will not tax the patience of people not interested in nutrtion.

Thank you beforewisdom. I'm guessing you wouldn't think that Simply Vegan would be a good first book, though? I probably need to read that book myself. I know how I'm supposed to eat, and I do a decent job of staying on track, but reading about nutrition definitely helps me stay focused.

Thanks again.

beforewisdom

Quote Michelle
    Thank you beforewisdom. I'm guessing you wouldn't think that Simply Vegan would be a good first book, though? I probably need to read that book myself. I know how I'm supposed to eat, and I do a decent job of staying on track, but reading about nutrition definitely helps me stay focused.
    Thanks again.
    Hi Michelle.

The book is about vegan nutrition. It is not about why someone would want to turn vegan which is what the teenager in question wants to know.

That is why I wrote if the teenager could be convinced to read two books about veganism that his book be #2.

Smile Re: Need Some Good Reading Material for a Teenager

I would highly recommend both the Vegan Sourcebook and The China Study.

Default Re: Need Some Good Reading Material for a Teenager

The Vegan Diet by Dr Kerrie Saunders.
    Eve