Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud to eat healthy

Default Re: Proud to eat healthy

Breakfast:
    Bowl of sliced strawberries
    2 pieces of toasted Ezekiel bread with jam
    Cup of coffee with Silk creamer (tastes the same as soy milk! grrr)

Lunch:
    20 black olives
    Pickled turnip
    Tomato slices
    Pita bread dipped in olive oil and zatar (Arabic thing)

Supper:
    2 large helpings of m'jerda (lentil and bulgur dish)

Snack:
    3 (!) cups of tea
    Unsalted crackers and jam

Snack 2:
    More m'jedera
    Tomato slices

Ehhh, not too high in the fruits and veggies. Oh well, at least I got in a lot of protein and iron.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

still sounds like an awesome day! yummmmm!

Quote Tigerlily
    Pita bread dipped in olive oil and zatar (Arabic thing)
    One of my favorite spice blends! To die for just as you had it with pita and olive oil, I'm going to have this for breakfast tomorrow, thanks for reminding me as I have not had it in a while!!

B: oats w/ raspberries & soy milk
    S: some apple slices (from the kids morning tea platter at work ) and some carrots
    L: sandwich made w/ 1/2 an avocado, tomato, cucumber & lettuce
    S: 2 frozen grapes
    D: big bowl of Italian bean soup and some cinnamon pear compote

ConsciousCuisine

1 1/2 cups oats, wheat, barley and rye with 2 T. coconut cream, 1 T. ground flax and 1 cup blueberries

2 cups mixed greens, 1 cup shredded beets, 1/2 cup sprouts, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/4 a cucumber and 2 T. lemon garlic dressing

2 cups white bean black olive soup (made with zucchini, carrot, onion and tomato)

1 cup pinto beans with 1/3 cup salsa

1/2 cup mashed potatoes made with 4 T. soymilk and 1 T. Earth Balance

1/2 a potato, jalapeno, pea and onion empanada in puff pastry (SOOO good!)

20 ounces Kombucha Tea with strawberry juice

20 ounces chocolate chai

80 ounces water

I feel like maybe I should not be posting on this thread any more as I get the impression that I do not quite eat enough. On the other hand it is an incentive to do better. If anybody feels offended though please tell me and I will not post any more.

amaranth muesli, banana, raisins, soya milk, grapefruit
    2 apples
    mixed salad, curried lentil soup, rye bread
    2 oranges, 1 piece of halva
    millet, roasted veg (squash, carrots, swede), yeast flakes
    soya yogurt, blueberries
    few pieces of liquorice
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Breakfast
    Coffee
    OJ
    homemade muffin (whole wheat floor, strawberry, banana, apple)
    banana

Lunch
    Vegetarian 3 beans chili and cornbread casserole (yum!)
    Celery sticks
    Apple

Supper
    Tonight is supper with girlfriends so I will probably have:
    Large salad
    Pasta and vegetable sauce
    Glass of white wine
    Whole wheat bread (if available)
    and fruit salad for dessert

Snacks
    10 almonds
    Orange
    handful of raisins

Lots of water

Keeping this kind of journal made me realise that I like fruits more than veggies and should make an effort to eat more veggies. I think I consume them more in soups and sauces than raw or steamed.
    Let thy food be thy medecine

Yesterday i ate -

Breakfast - Bran flakes with rasins and soy milk.

Lunch - Mediteranian tomato and butter bean soup with a salad (cherry tomatos, radishes, cucumber and sweetcorn) and 2 slices of wholegrain bread.

Snack - Orange and Mango juice

Dinner - Homemade bean chilli (Haricot, kidney, black eyed and soya beans, chickpeas, sweet potato, green and red peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, onion and courgette) with one cup (uncooked) of rice.

Snack - Banana, wild berry and soy milk smoothie (yum! )

Looking at all your previous posts i'm not sure if i'm eating the right kind of things :/ i take a vegan vitamin suppliment everyday, but that's not enough to be healthy obviously! I'm really trying to eat as healthily as i can but i've got so much to learn (and a student budget to boot) so if anyone has any advice as to what i can add to my diet i'd really appreciate it
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Quote Steph
    One of my favorite spice blends! To die for just as you had it with pita and olive oil, I'm going to have this for breakfast tomorrow, thanks for reminding me as I have not had it in a while!!
    My grandmother in the middle east sends it to me. She makes it all homemade.

Tiggerwoo

Today I have my appetite back a bit more and my stomach ache from the antibiotics is gone so have eaten:

Breakfast: Porridge with rice milk and added calcium and vitamins

Lunch: Marmalade on wholemeal toast with a banana

Snack: Fruit flapjack

Snack: One mango

Dinner: Spaghetti bolognaise with realeat vegemince, mushrooms, tomato sauce, leeks, courgettes, mixed pulses and pasta

Throughout the day: Mineral water, red clover tea, peppermint tea,

I plan to eat a few more pieces of fruit before I go to bed

Yay!!!! Tigerwoo is getting better!!!!! Had us going for a while there dear...

Tiggerwoo

Thanks, it helped having a day off. Am off to have a pampering evening in a bit... nice hot bath, sauna then bed, as am up at 5.15 tomorrow morning for work....... yuck! Didn't think mornings existed till at least 10am, lol!

Enjoy the pampering Tigerwoo....you earned it!

ConsciousCuisine

20 oz. water

I ate at the Co-op today and had a little bit of everything:

1/2 cup Lasagna made with brown rice pasta, tomatoes, onions, spices and tofu

1/2 cup peanut butter tempeh, croccoli and carrots

1/2 cup orange seitan with red bell pepper and broccoli

1/2 cup spicy tofu nuggets

1 cup "no clam chowder" soup (potatoes, onions, celery, spied and peppered rich thick gravy-like broth and mushrooms)

At home:

16 oz. Kombucha tea and strawberry juice

2 cups steamed broccoli and 1 cup white beans with 3 T. lemon juice, 3 cloves pressed garlic, 1 T. nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp. Ume paste and 1 T. Udo's Blend Oil

20 oz. water

3 tangerines

20 oz. water

2 crepes filled with 1/2 cup blueberries, 4 T. coconut cashew cream and garnished with 1/2 an ounce shaved chocolate

20 oz. water

1 sublingual B-12 and Chinese herbs for healing

yesterday:
    lemon poppyseed muffins (2), almonds, scrambled tofu with salsa and curry powder, a mango; a large banana, a large orange; 2 cups chili (kidney beans, tomatoes, okra, carrots, zucchini, squash, and other veggies I can't remember right now ), a large hunk of bread, 2 oranges; 4 tacos (1 or 1 1/2 cups black soybeans with salsa and corn tortillas), 4 cups (at leaset) coleslaw (cabbage, carrots, nayonaise, and vinegar), some corn tortilla chips; another taco (after weight training i went out with some friends) made with a corn tortilla, spinach, tomato, potato, and carrots with black beans over the top and smothered in salsa and tapatillo. and of course, a ton of water all day
    Peace Love Surf.

S: soy coffee & a pear
    L: 2/3 of a peanut butter sandwich
    D: 1/2 piece herb bread (made w/ nuttelex & mixed herbs), 1/2 bowl of gnocchi w/ fake beef bolognaise sauce , and salad - lima beans, mixed leaves, tomato & carrot w/ dill, olive oil & garlic. Then for dessert we had blackberries & soy chocolate ice cream

Also on the zatar train. Lebanese shops here sell 'pizza' with it and no cheese - it's to die for. I also buy it but it never tastes as good. I've never tried making it fresh. What's in it? Oregano and sesame seeds?

Quote insubordination
    Also on the zatar train. Lebanese shops here sell 'pizza' with it and no cheese - it's to die for. I also buy it but it never tastes as good. I've never tried making it fresh. What's in it? Oregano and sesame seeds?
    Seasme seeds and a type of spice in the same family as rosemary but it only grows in the Middle East, I think. The dark green zatar is much better than the brown zatar. Lebanese zatar is usually the brown one that tastes like shit. Try to find a Palestinian/Israeli-Arab store or Jordinian store, they might have a yummier one. ORRR go to the middle east.

ConsciousCuisine

Za'atar spice mix outside of the Middle East can include thyme, sumac, marjoram, salt, and toasted sesame seeds that is then mixed with olive oil...even if it's not entirely authentic, you can attempt to make your own blend for dipping or serving over rice and it's pretty delicious! I like to add pepper and lemon to mine too Syrian Hyssop is the ingredient in traditional Za'atar that can be difficult to get outside of the Middle East.

Here's my day today:

1 sprouted grains English muffin with 1 tsp. Earth Balance, 1 T. crushed peanuts and 1 tsp. nutritional yeast

12 oz. blueberry pomegranate juice

2 cups broccoli, 1 cup white beans, 1 cup baked potatoes, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 a Meyer's lemon, juiced and 2 tsp. Earth Balance

1/2 cup arugula pesto served over 1 cup green beans and 1/2 cup brown rice penne

1 large baked sweet potato (skin and all) with 2 T. coconut cream, 1 tsp. agave and 1/2 tsp. garam masala

2 Artichoke-Potato timbales (artichoke hearts, sliced potatoes, peas, onions, garlic, spices and a cheese sauce)

1 cup steamed broccoli with the afore-mentioned cheese sauce ( hey, broccoli's on sale for 59 cents a pound! I gotta get in all the organic goodness when I can!)

3 tangerines and 1/3 cup cashews

1 gallon of water

yesterday: 2 pieces whole wheat toast with a tablespoon* cashew butter each, tofu scrambled with salsa and curry powder, a mango; a sandwich with whole wheat bread, bread and butter pickles and chili, 2 oranges, 2 large handfulls blue corn tortilla chips; brownrice cake w/1 tbs* peanut butter, a medium banana; 1/4 head of cabbage, a summer squash and 1 1/4 cups* garbanzo beans sauteed with black bean garlic paste and tamari, a large hunk of whole wheat bread (i know, way too much wheat); 1 cup* whole grain raisin bran (organic, but can't remember the company, and too lazy to get up) with 1/2 cup* unsweetened applesauce

*all approximate (i never measure anymore )

p.s. if anyone wants a really good bread machine bread recipe (whole wheat of course) let me know and i'll put it up somewhere (then you can understand first hand why I eat so much whole wheat bread)
    Peace Love Surf.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote moochbabe

*all approximate (i never measure anymore )
    I don't measure either; I just know what a cup, a tablespoon etc. is and can eyeball or palm it exactly (I have been tested and got it right ).

Re: zatar

I had a friend who would mix it with breadcrumbs to cover things like sliced tofu, eggplant slices, cauliflower etc. which she would then fry or bake depending on her mood

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I don't measure either; I just know what a cup, a tablespoon etc. is and can eyeball or palm it exactly (I have been tested and got it right ).
    lol, i can do that with teaspoons, tablespoons, and 1/4 and 1/3 cups (palming it) heehee

yesterday: 2 large oranges; 1/2 a cinnamon raisin bagel, 1/4 cup grapes, 4 carrot sticks (i think)*; 1 1/4 cups shredded wheat with 1/2 cup applesauce, an orange; 2 pieces sweet chili tofu from wholefoods, a wholewheat pita, 1 1/2 cups choped fruit (mango, strawberry, blueberry, kiwi); the rest of the fruit (1 1/2 cups); nut and bean loaf (homemade - of course ), baked sweet potato with salsa, 3 cups lightly steamed cabbage; another orange (i have a lot of oranges and i'm trying to eat them all before they go bad )

*edit: I forgot I ate whole wheat pita and hummus here too
    Peace Love Surf.

ConsciousCuisine

2 Hempseed and flax waffles with 2 T. crushed peanuts and 1 very small slice chocolate-almond-cheese-mousse pie with a chocolate cookie crust

1 1/2 cups of potato pancake/fritatta (so delicious, with spinach, almond meal, yukon gold potatoes, shallots, tofu and 12 other ingredients!)

12 oz. blueberry juice

2 cups black beans, 1 cup rice, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo salsa, 1/4 cup hot salsa and 1/2 cup guacamole

1 oz. chocolate with cacao nibs

80 oz. water

L: avocado, tomato & mixed leaves sandwich
    S: banana
    D: massive bowl of split pea soup w/ bread spread w/ nuttelex (veg margarine).

fresh squeezed juice - apple, celery, ginger
    quinoa with ground flax

salad with raw veggies and edamame
    1 orange

apple and blueberries

seaweed and tofu soup
    brown rice mixed with adzuki beans
    steamed veggies

B
    OJ enriched with Calcium
    Coffee
    I large bowl of 6 grains oatmeal + 1tbsp hemp seeds + handful of dried cranberries

L
    1 cup brown & wild rice
    1 cup black bean soup
    baby carrots and baby tomatoes

S
    Shepherd pie made with TVP
    Salad (red wine vinegar, olive oil, spices)

Throughout the day
    1 orange
    1 apple
    10 almonds
    Lots of water

CC, I bought organic green and organic red kale (see the influence you have on me! LOL).

All, have a wonderful week.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Smiley
    CC, I bought organic green and organic red kale (see the influence you have on me! LOL).
    That's so good to know I hope you enjoy it!

Tiggerwoo

Red kale sounds interesting, have never seen it over here in the UK, does it taste very different?

Tiggerwoo, I never tasted kale before so it is new to me... couldn't tell you the difference. Added the red one to my salad last night and it will be a taste to be acquired!!

B
    OJ enriched with Calcium
    Coffee
    I large bowl of 6 grains oatmeal + 1tbsp hemp seeds + handful of dried cranberries

L
    Wrap (shredded carrots, cucumber, lettuce, red kale, onions, orange pepper and "fake feta" made with tofu)
    Baby carrots
    Apple

S
    Brown rice pasta
    Veggie sauce
    1 banana
    5 strawberries

Snacks
    handfull of raw cashews
    orange
    1/2 large cucumber
    Lots of water

scrambled tofu (3/4 cup) with 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, zuchini and summer squash, curry powder, and tapatio (hotsauce), large pear, 2 large pieces toast with 1 tbs peanutbutter; large orange; sandwich with 2 tbs almond butter, banana, 1/2 cup pretzel sticks, vanilla soy yogurt; large orange; the rest of the can of garbanzos, 1 piece toast, zucchini, spinach, and carrots; 2 cookies (fig - whole wheat and juice sweetened - but doesn't taste "healthy" )
    Peace Love Surf.

ConsciousCuisine

2 slices 'apple spice and fiber' bread (5 grams of fiber per slice!) with 2 T. delicious almond-tahini-coconut-maple spread

1 cup Westbrae Plain soymilk

2 slices whole grain sourdough bread with 1 T. organic Earth Balance Whipped

2 cups black bean, corn, quinioa, carrot, celery, jalapeno, onion, shallot, leek, tomato, spinach and many spices 'soup' (more like a stew or chili really) with 1 serving flax corn bread crumbled inside and 1 T. nutritional yeast mixed in

1 serving whole grain flax-wheatgerm corn bread

2 more cups of the soup another 2 slices bread

1 cup Westbrae Plain soymilk

1 gallon water

mango woman

Yum CC, you have lots of awesome sounding breads. Oh and that spread you put on the apple bread.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds divine!

mango woman

Alright, i looked for a different thread but didn't find one, so if this is wrong "¡lo siento!"

I am trying to figure out which juices are the most nutritious. 100% juices of course.. So far i have thought of cranberry or pomegranate, and orange juice. .. does anyone disagree with me? I have no idea for sure, these are just guesses.

Also, has anyone tried that newer orange juice that has FIBER in it now?

Here's yesterdays eats:
    Breakfast - 3/4 cup of LSA muesli with 1/3 cup rice milk & a sliced banana

Morning tea - cup of organic rosehip, lemongrass & ginger tea, a green apple

Lunch - 500ml container of homemade dip (sweet potato, chickpeas, red lentils, paprika - pureed together) with 2 cups of chopped veggies for dipping (cucumber, red capsicum, carrot). 4 puffed rice crackers.

Afternoon tea - an orange

Dinner - a grilled lentil patty sandwiched between 2 slices of sourdough rye bread (with caraway seeds) with salad (red onion, lettuce, tomato, cucumber). A plum.

After dinner - 1 'row' of Green & Black's cherry chocolate (yum!)

A very yummy & satisfying day foodwise.
    Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Breakfast:
    Bowl of iron fortified cereal with soy milk

Lunch:
    Large salad of mixed baby greens, red leaves, tomatoes, red pepper, green pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, dressed with a bottled ginger dressing and lemon juice, salt+pepper
    Toasted tomato sandwich

Grazing for the rest of the day (not eaten all at once):
    Cup of black tea
    1 banana
    1 banana mashed in a pita pocket
    2 bowls of baked "fried rice" with peas, carrots, and soy sauce
    2 cups of chocolate soy milk
    3-4 crackers with peanut butter
    About 15-20 crackers with tomato slices (I used a tomato and a half!) with dried mint

I don't know what else for the rest of the day (it's 7:25pm).

CC please can you provide measurements for the Almond Tahini Coconut Maple spread?

1 organic apple
    1 organic plum
    1 organic peach
    1 banana

handful of almonds

salad of: lettuce, four home grown tomatoes, celery, capsicum, asparagus, cucumber, some kind of sprout thing lol.

salad of: lettuce, beetroot, carrot, alfalfa sprouts, chopped up lentil burger, flaxseed oil, vinegar, hommus...(there was more in it but I don't remember- all the veggies were organic and the salad was bloody massive !!!)

grapefruit, orange and apple organic juice

1 banana
    1 organic apple
    1 organic plum

2 pieces of wheat free rye toast with a whole avocado

....will be having some steamed veggies with a cheese sauce from nutritional yeast shortly.

----

conclusion: too much fat. the maximum for one day is 30 grams, which one avocado can provide. I'm eating nuts and lots of oils so I need to cut way down. Plus, I think the lentil burger (i had it at an organic cafe in the city) in my salad may be deep fried. I bought one home for my family to try and the oil went right through the bag like I have never seen before...ugh I hope not. I hate deep fried stuff (although i do miss falafels)....deep fried is not natural. Will have to enquire....if it is..this is hypocrisy since it's an organic cafe.

Well, it still can be organic and deep fried, though. If they used organic oil and organic ingredients, it's still organic and deep fried.

That's true, but in my head organic = natural, healthy, pure.... la di da. I live in hope!

Yummy!

Breakfast:
    Bowl of iron fortified cereal with soy milk

Lunch:
    2 cups of tea
    2 slices of toasted sprouted grain bread with natural peanut butter and jam
    4-7 crackers
    Banana

Lunch 2/Afternoon Snack:
    Bowl of Super Healthy Soup: lentils, kale, carrots, onions, zuccini, celery, garlic, spices, and lemon juice drizzled on top for absorption
    Glass of apple juice
    Vegan multi-vitamin tablet

Supper:
    Large bowl of the healthy soup with lemon juice
    Salad: mixed greens, tomato, green pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper

Dessert:
    Hot cocoa

Quote Tigerlily
    Yummy!
    definitely!
    Victor Hugo

Stumpy - where did you get 30grams of fat from? Your day seemed quite healthy except that maybe you were missing some grain... and possibly calories, i didn't check...
    i hope this doesn't upset you, but is deep fried a fear food for you - it sounds as though it is?
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote applepie
    definitely!
    It was.

Add to my day, another bowl of cereal.

wholegrain toast with peanut butter
    pana de casa bread with muchrooms, sundried tomatos, basil, garlic, olive oil.
    mediteranian stew with cous cous: eggplant, zucchini, celery, mushrooms, tempeh, onion, garlic, tomatoes & cumin, tumeric, sumac, cinnamon.
    3 yellow peaches
    watermelon
    2 plums
    1 orange
    some sunflower seeds and brazil nuts and almonds.
    b complex, b2, magnesium complex, echinacia forte, dong quai, liver herbs.

Moochbabe- nah it isn't, I've read a few articles about deep frying and I just resent the fact it changes the oil into a state that is potentially carcinogenic. I actually swapped over my vegan margarine for a cold pressed one for the same reason- hydrogenated oil. Does that sort of make sense? sorry, I wasn't trying to whinge when posting...it was just more of a side note. Oh btw, the 30 grams of fat thing..I have read in the past and saw it on a television show recently.

"Polyunsaturated oils, which include vegetable oils like corn, soy, safflower and canola, are the worst oils to cook with because of the trans-fatty acids introduced during the hydrogenation process, which results in increased dangers of chronic diseases such as breast cancer and heart disease"

P.S- for anyone interested, I had this juice made for me 'apple, grape and ginger'...and it was amazing..i recommend it!! The girl just dropped the whole vine of grapes into the juice without removing them from the stalk part....I didn't know you could do that.

quinoa flakes, soya milk, banana, raisins, coconut
    2 apples
    salad of carrots, celeriac and pineapple, ryebread with hummus
    orange, 2 kiwi fruit
    handful of nuts and raisins
    millet, roasted veg (squash, yellow pepper, tomatoes, aubergine), yeast flakes
    soya hot choc and dates
    Victor Hugo

with 2 T. delicious almond-tahini-coconut-maple spread
    Ratios please!

stmpy: I see what you mean, although if it was an organic place then the oil they used for deep-frying wouldn't have been hydrogenated. and thank you so much for clearing that up for me!
    Peace Love Surf.

yesterday:

Breakfast:
    1 organic kiwi
    1 organic orange
    1 banana
    1 raw food energy bar (chocolate-coconut flavor...yum!)

Snack:
    1 cup herbal tea
    handful of peanuts

Lunch:
    8-9 organic baby carrots
    organic broccoli
    garlic cous-cous
    homemade brownie

Snacks:
    Handful of peanuts
    1 organic apple with valencia peanut butter (about 1 tablespoon)

Dinner:
    Huge salad with organic spinach, organic red and green chard, organic arugula, organic red and green mustard, a couple of other greens, alfafa sprouts, organic cucumber, organic tomato, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, and Annie's Goddess dressing
    A slice of sunflower bread
    A handful of chocolate chips
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden