Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud to eat healthy

yogini

Default Proud to eat healthy

this is a 'what did you eat today' thread for those who eat /try hard to eat a balanced healthy diet everyday...
    :rolleyes: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its a shrieking root vegetable! :D

FR

Default Re: the 'proud to eat healthy' thread..

I personally love healthy food. I do not understand why most non-vegan people are turned off by it. I think healthy food is busrting with flavor. I mean c'mon, what is not yummy about a smoothie boasting a blend of sweet fruits? Or, an almond butter and fruit spread sandwich on whole grain bread?

I love healthy food! I'm just forced to eat lots of it by cooking the majority of my food fresh anyway, and don't feel the need to post about it. I tend to get more excited by and post more about sweet/non healthy things which are harder to make, but I still eat healthy 90% of the time.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I love healthy foods, and can't understand how people go crazy for sweet things and other junk.
    For breakfast today I had my usual bowl of fruit, this time it was a cut up banana, a dessertspoon each of cherries and of blueberries, four soaked prunes, 1 tspn of tahini, and a dessertspoon of LSA (crushed linseed, sunflower seeds, almonds). Over the top I poured my favourite soymilk.
    For lunch I had a mug of juiced carrot, celery, beetroot, parsley. Followed by some braised sweet potato, cauliflower, and mushrooms.
    I tend not to take an evening meal, but like to chew some pecan nuts, plus today a friend gave me some macadamia nuts. Quite delicious.
    Eve

ConsciousCuisine

What a beautiful day, Eve!

Today, so far, I have had:

20 oz. of freshly juiced beet, carrot, celery and Fuji apple juice (2 beets, 5 carrots, 5 stalks of celery and 1/3 an apple)

2/3 cup pineapple

1 cup green tea kombucha

1 1/2 cups chickpeas with Italian blend spices, garlic and balsamic vinegar and rice wine vinegar

1 cup arugula

1 cup spinach

1 tomato

and I will check in later when I have more

Eve, that breakfast sounds SO delicious! I might have to try different variations of that and add my own favorites

today so far:

banana
    raw spinach
    bean salad
    brown rice with red and green peppers, black olives and carrots
    vanilla soy milk with raisins and almonds in a bowl of grape nut flakes
    bowl of fruit: dates, red grapes, pineapple and melon chunks
    whole grain brown rice cake with natural peanut butter

not sure what i'm going to be having for dinner yet.
    Thanks for starting this thread as an alternative to the other one. it will encourage me to eat healthier and be more aware of what I'm putting into my body, because I want to be able to post on it-- motivation to eat better!

brown rice with red and green peppers, black olives and carrots
    Yum Alert!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i'm sorry...i'm a little bit confused about whether or not my posts r welcomed on this thread. i am recovered/ing from an ed, but no longer restrict, i eat halthy balanced meals, and meet my caloric intake needs. i am just confused becuase i do occasionally splurge and have vegan cookies or something, but imo that's kinda part of a healthy diet too...u know everything kinda in moderation... so i was just wondering if it's ok if i post even though i once had an ed (never while a vegan), and sometimes eat a little junk...feedback please
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote ConsciousCuisine

20 oz. of freshly juiced beet, carrot, celery and Fuji apple juice (2 beets, 5 carrots, 5 stalks of celery and 1/3 an apple)

2/3 cup pineapple

1 cup green tea kombucha

1 1/2 cups chickpeas with Italian blend spices, garlic and balsamic vinegar and rice wine vinegar

1 cup arugula

1 cup spinach

1 tomato

Ever since you've been posting on this board, I've never seen you have an unhealthy day!

well...i suppose i'll post, i hope it's ok, i mean it's healthy and all...
    i had cream of wheat with 100% maplesyrup and raisins; sauteed red chard, and mushrooms stuffed into a pita with marmite (i found it in the states!) and drizzled with tahini, a mango, and soymilk; a cherry lunabar and an orange; roasted beets (flavored with salt, pepper, and olive oil...soooo good!), steamed bokchoi (with lemon juice and fresh ginger), home baked tofu marinated in a garlic dressing, and mashed lentils (made like mashed potatoes); later on i think i'll have some whole-wheat fig bars and soy milk...
    Peace Love Surf.

Thanks Roxy, and also ConsciousCuisine - I like your choices, but what is arugula?
    Yes, screamingcarrot, I like your idea of a thread for a balanced healthy diet everyday.
    Eve

ConsciousCuisine

I arugula is "rocket" greens. Screamingcarrot and I decided we needed this thread to highlight health and vibrant choices!

Moochbabe, that is a great day! As long as you don't post that you had around 400 calories of junk and nothing else of substance, it would seem you're in the clear Anyone with an ED is welcome to post here too, as long as the post reflects a healthy, normal day (which we all hope people have more of!).

ConsciousCuisine

Quote ConsciousCuisine

2/3 cup pineapple

1 cup green tea kombucha

1 cup arugula

1 cup spinach

1 tomato

So, I also had:

1/2 a sprouted grain roll

1 T BBQ sauce

1 1/2 oz. tofu-burger

3/4 cup spicy chilibeans

10 oven fries

6 blackberries

16 oz. cranberry-kombucha blend

lots of water

yeah... lol.... i would definately not be welcome here :S
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I eat healthy but when i read what all the really healthy people eat it just seems like a lot to me. Please dont think i am saying you all eat alot because im not. All i am saying is i cant eat a lot in one day so maybe i am missing out on some of the vitamins i need.
    I shall give an example of what i eat
    Bowl of cerial with soya milk
    2 crackers, a banana, handful of nuts for lunch (sometimes more)
    Veg chilli, with rice
    About 5 cups of peppermint tea and some water.
    I will eat snacks now and then like a little chocolate.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote foxytina_69
    yeah... lol.... i would definately not be welcome here :S
    *sigh*

PLEASE, let's try to keep this thread productive and POSITIVE.

Tina, you *do* have days where you eat well and have lots of veggies and fruits and enough calories and are most certainly welcome here when you choose to put your health first, as that is what this thread is about.

yogini

Quote moochbabe
    well...i suppose i'll post, i hope it's ok, i mean it's healthy and all...
    i had cream of wheat with 100% maplesyrup and raisins; sauteed red chard, and mushrooms stuffed into a pita with marmite (i found it in the states!) and drizzled with tahini, a mango, and soymilk; a cherry lunabar and an orange; roasted beets (flavored with salt, pepper, and olive oil...soooo good!), steamed bokchoi (with lemon juice and fresh ginger), home baked tofu marinated in a garlic dressing, and mashed lentils (made like mashed potatoes); later on i think i'll have some whole-wheat fig bars and soy milk...
    moochbabe, the thread wasnt meant to make anyone feel excluded..concious and i just noticed that on the 'what did you eat today thread' there were alot of posts indicating disordered eating patterns/ed behavious and it was all getting a little negative! eating healthy to me is eating a balnced diet with enough of the right sorts of foods..eating to live not living to eat..celebrating food not worrying about it. thats all. im glad you are recovering from your problems and it sounds like youre eating a great diet, of course you are welcome on this thread!

yogini

started the day with oj, banana apple and sultanas, ginger water and glass of soya milk.
    lunch (out) was rice, lentils, wholewheat bread, mixed vegeatables in oil dressing and avocado.
    full as a boot now!

ConsciousCuisine

So far today:

20 ounces kale, beet, carot and celery juice

2 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup chickpeas and 1/2 cup spinach pasta with 1 tsp. nutritional yeast, 1 T. garlic and 1 T. brown rice vinegar

4 oz. Silk Enhanced

water

and we'll see what I have later

Well I think I had quite a somewhat healthy-ish day.......okay okay.......except for the chippies (crisps) I had with my sandwich

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer. 2 slices of wholewheat toast with peanut butter and a half a mashed banana on each slice.

Lunch: sandwich on wholewheat bread (filling: mango chutney, Yves veggie salami, alfalfa sprouts and a toffuti "cheese" slice). Small packet of plain chips (crisps), water.

Dinner: leftover Morrocan couscous from last night (wholewheat couscous, spices, dates, cashews, corn, chickpeas, golden raisins, parsley, mint, zucchini). 1 and a half pieces of warm pita bread with hummus, 5 slices of cajun baked tofu. 2 glasses of wine.

Dessert: is going to be a cup of Rooibos tea and 2 small leftover pieces of dark mint chocolate.

Last night I made some homas, so that this morning after my bowl of fruit and nuts, I had a slice of grainy bread with homas & marmite. Lunchtime after the raw vege juice, I cooked and ate the rest of the sweet potato with noodles and bok choy. This evening I'll eat some nuts and have a glass of wine. I do drink 2 litres of water during the day, and soymilk in the mornings.

Thank you CC for telling me that the arugula is rocket - a friend of mine has rocket growing all over his garden, so I'll pop round and see him now that I know!
    Eve

I'm new to this thread, hope it's okay if I post here. Yesterday I had:
    breakfast: porridge with soy milk, banana and frozen berries
    snack: apple
    lunch: slice of freshly baked multi-seeded bread with vegemite and tomatoes on top (I love it!), salad (lettuce, cuc, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots)
    snack: 2 tangerines
    dinner: millet with oven-roasted veg (swede, carrots, parsnips) and nutritional yeast sprinkled over
    snack: soy yog and 2 dates

sounds like you had a really healthy day!
    Eve

so many yummy sounding things everyone!!! gives me inspiration

B: bowl of organic bircher muesli w/ soy milk. a banana and an orange
    S: 4 dried figs
    L: avocado and tomato sandwich. a lot of strawberries
    D: sesame stir-fried vegetables (bok choy, broccoli, baby corn and green beans) w/ basmati rice. 1/2 an apple.

Thanks eve!
    I do indulge in unhealthy treats now and then, but on the whole I think I eat fairly healthy. I prefer fruit and veg to fast food.
    And as it's the beginning of the month and I have been paid, I can afford to treat myself to my favs for a few days, before I have to watch my student budget again.

And I'm glad to read that you love vegemite, applepie!

LOL
    Oh yes, I could eat it anytime!
    Funny, because that's the thing people told me the British were so fond of and that it was foul. In Germany it's unheard of. I tried it when I came to Britain and can't keep my hands off it since! Well, first I had Marmite, but that's Unilever, so I have happily switched to Vegemite.

thank u everyone for the positive reinforcement that u all gave me!! i'm very glad that i can post here because i was noticing how disordered some of the posts in the other thread were and it was really disturbing!! anyway today i had...
    mini-wheats (organic unfrosted), with soymilk, pumpkin seeds, and a banana; grapes and trailmix; lentils with chopped cashews stuffed into pita with radsih sprouts (seasoned with paprika and tapatillo--hotsauce), a mango, and soymilk; chocosoymilk from wholefoods (one of those juicebox type) and a large apple; sauteed red chard, beet greens, onion, mushrooms, and spinach with olive oil, salt and pepper, and i used basamic to help carmalize the onions ( incase u wanted to know all that!), and a soydog on a sprouted bun; later i think i'll have a peach soyyogurt with some grapenuts...
    i hope that was a good day...i feel like it was actually, i know it was, lol
    Peace Love Surf.

I had a very yummy day today! But I don't think I will post it here. There was too much flour involved and not enough fresh foods.

Well.......maybe tomorrow

Me too Roxy

were going to start buying salad stuff soon. so maybe ill beable to start posting here! the things i really crave all the time and want the most that i think i should spend the most money on is salad stuff, brown rice, and smoothies. those are all really healthy and easy ways to get in lots of good stuff. but ive been eating tons of brown rice, and more smoothies, and soon salad. i figure, those are the cheapest things for me to get that have the most nutrition. because smoothies have lots of protein and fruit, salads have tons of yummy veggies, and brown rice is really good for u and can be paired with stirfried veggies, or lentils of some kind. oh and also baked beans in cans are cheap and good for you.

B: bircher muesli w/ raspberries & soymilk
    S: dates, almonds and an apple
    L: vegan nicoise salad (no tuna of course)
    D: chickpea & eggplant curry w/ basmati rice & salad and a handful of dates

B, Naked superfood juice (blue machine made w/ raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries).
    L, toasted avocado & tomato sandwich, a few bites of an apple (icky!) and baby carrots.
    S, sweet chipotle peanuts and a banana
    D, homemade cool spinach dip spread on lots of cucumber slices, and some spread on 3 pieces of pumpernickel bread and a pear.
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

oooh I love naked superfood juice (mainly the chocolate, yum!)

today:

B: grape nut flakes, soy milk, almonds, raisins, flaxseed meal, banana
    S: 2 dates, fig, half of odwalla bar
    L: mixed greens salad w/ olives and tomato, 3 bean mix, broccoli, yams
    S: whole grain rice cake w/ natural peanut butter, 1 piece fruit leather
    D: carrots, italian green beans, whole wheat fake-turkey and hummus sandwich, yellow apple

mmm, i had a bunch of foods i haven't really had before, or at least the way they were prepared today (i got lunch at wholefoods with my mommy )
    cinnamon puffins cereal with soymilk, walnuts, and banana; a clifbar; grilled mango with rasberry sauce (SOOOO GOOD), cinnamon roasted squash (with olive oil and cumin too!), and tofu spring rolls; another thing of the mango (I bought some more for later when i loved it so much lol); pita stuffed with some leftover sauteed greens, mushrooms, and onion mixed with salad greens and tahini and tomato, and a steamed white squash; later i think i'll have some pumpkin scones i baked and soymilk
    Peace Love Surf.

Breakfast: 1 and a half cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer. 2 slices of wholewheat toast with peanut butter and half a mashed banana on each slice.

Morning Snack: 2 pieces of chocolate.

Lunch: sandwich on ciabatta bread (lettuce, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, mustard). 1 wheat-free oat and fruit cookie. 1 lunchbox size mocha flavoured soy milk.

Dinner: my boyfriend made vegan spaghetti bolognaise, but instead of using Yves ground round this time, he used chopped Tofurkey sweet italian sausage. It also had chopped red and green peppers and chopped mini portabella mushrooms and organic bottled pasta sauce. It was served on top of spaghetti (rice pasta, not wheat). 2 glasses of red wine.

Dessert: cup of Rooibos tea, 10 vegan jelly beans and 2 pieces of chocolate.

Quote moochbabe
    mmm, i had a bunch of foods i haven't really had before, or at least the way they were prepared today (i got lunch at wholefoods with my mommy )
    cinnamon puffins cereal with soymilk, walnuts, and banana; a clifbar; grilled mango with rasberry sauce (SOOOO GOOD), cinnamon roasted squash (with olive oil and cumin too!), and tofu spring rolls; another thing of the mango (I bought some more for later when i loved it so much lol); pita stuffed with some leftover sauteed greens, mushrooms, and onion mixed with salad greens and tahini and tomato, and a steamed white squash; later i think i'll have some pumpkin scones i baked and soymilk
    fancy day! sounds like a lot of stuff I've never had. yuum. *jealous*
    i love the day of and few days after splurging grocery shopping trips, because then you have all these new meals to prepare, it's always a bummer though once stuff starts running out!

today:

B: cinnamon and apple oatmeal w/ soy milk and a banana
    S: fruit leather bar w/ mini rice cakes
    L: baked sweet potato, sauteed spinach, boiled summer squash
    S: honeydew melon, cantaloupe and grapes w/ melba toast
    D: bbq tofu stir fry w/ mushrooms, broccoli, squash, red bell peppers and italian green beans; okra and tomatoes, 2 dates

Quote foxytina_69
    were going to start buying salad stuff soon. so maybe ill beable to start posting here! the things i really crave all the time and want the most that i think i should spend the most money on is salad stuff, brown rice, and smoothies. those are all really healthy and easy ways to get in lots of good stuff. but ive been eating tons of brown rice, and more smoothies, and soon salad. i figure, those are the cheapest things for me to get that have the most nutrition. because smoothies have lots of protein and fruit, salads have tons of yummy veggies, and brown rice is really good for u and can be paired with stirfried veggies, or lentils of some kind. oh and also baked beans in cans are cheap and good for you.
    hi foxyt - what about starting a 'wanna be proud to eat healthy' thread? I mean that in a friendly way, it just reminded me of my daughter who often tells me what she's 'gonna' make for lunch, etc. I generally reply that I prefer to hear about it *after* lunch, etc.
    Eve

i wouldnt know what to post in it

Breakfast: oatmeal with grated apple and cinnamon, soya milk
    Snack: apple, orange
    Lunch: lettuce, tomatoes, sprinkled with toasted seeds
    Snack: apple, 2 carrots with tahini
    Dinner: wholewheat pasta with broccoli and mushrooms
    Snack: few dates

B: bowl of oats w/ soymilk & raspberries
    S: apple, small box of almonds & some carrots
    L: pita w/ tahini, tomato & parsley. 4 figs.
    S: some sliced carrots
    D: pumpkin dhal w/ basmati rice & salad. glass of orange mineral water.

Default Re: Proud to eat healthy

oo, i had some yummy things today!
    scrambled tofu with sauteed beet greens rolled up into 2 whole wheat tortillas, grapes and a smoothie made with fresh roasted pumpkin and soymilk and seasonings (it tastes like a pumpkin pie shake!); choco soymilk and a large apple; lentils mixed with chopped "turkey" and tahini and an orange; a mexican sweet candy filled with salty chili ( i never indulge in candy, so i decided to have a treat and try something new), dried figs and a tortilla with cashew butter; the YUMMIEST dinner: steamed red chard with olive oil, lemon and garlic, "broccoli slaw" (shredded cabbage, broccoli, and carrots) mixed with sesame garlic dressing, and then i boiled sweet potatoes and some ginger and then strained it, added a little of the cooking water, and some lightly curried lentils and then blended it all together with an immersion blender and then added cinnamon, it tasted so sweet and rich and yummy! later i think i'll have some peach soyyogurt or something of the sort...
    Peace Love Surf.

I find it easier, for me, to post yesterdays meals...

This is what I had yesterday -

smoothie (1 cup - orange juice, banana, strabs, rasps, flax oil)

water

stir-fry (carrots, red+yellow+orange peppers, brocolli, celery, onion, sweet potato, jalapeno pepper, ginger with quinoa & tamari)

chocolate soy milk

tortilla chips with salsa

water

mandarin orange

smoothie (1 cup - same as above)

cashews (1/4 cup - roasted)

raw veggies (2 cups - carrots, red+yellow+orange bell peppers, celery)

potato leek soup (1 bowl - homemade - potatoes, leeks, carrots, garlic, onion boillon cubes, water, sea salt)

sweet potato oven fries (1/2 cup with ketchup)

mandarin orange

water

raspberry fruit bar

water

I'm proud to eat healthy!!!

what a yummy thing it is to eat healthy too!
    Peace Love Surf.

Wow terra! You had a great day!!

These are the foods I had yesterday:
    brekkie: smoothie (bananas, cherries, passionfruit, soymilk, flax seed oil)

lunch: vegie drink (carrots, beet, celery, coriander) followed by some cooked lentils and sweetpotato.

evening: a little bowl of peanuts, plus 4 brazils.

drink of mango & apple. During the day I get through 2 litres water
    night: cup of cocoa.
    Eve

its so funny because i was just thinking "would cherries go well in a smoothie?" so i guess they do than eve?

Yum cherry smoothies are great. Once I used pure cherry juice as the liquid base.

mmm that sounds delicious.