Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud to eat healthy

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Proud to eat healthy

I LOVE the Cliff Nectar bars! I send one with my Daughter to school several times a week and I *always* carry one in my "Kit"

Seeing everyone posting on here again has inspired me to post again.
    homemade carrot "cake" (it's excellent, all the sweetness from fruit, not too much fat, so i just LOVE eating it at any time!) scrambled tofu with mushrooms and a half and avocado, kiwis; a "qesadilla" made with some homemade "cheese" and shredded carrots and a whole wheat tortilla, a salad with pinto beans, mixed baby greens, jicama, grated carrots, grated beets, alfalfa sprouts, and sesame garlic dressing; broccoli stalks stripped out of the tough outter layer and sliced, babay carrots, baked corn tortilla chips, and gobs of the "cheese"; tofu marinated in a secret sauce a grilled, grilled pineapple, on whole wheat bread, and steamed beet greens with lime juice; later i think i'll have some holly nog and some more carrot "cake"
    Peace Love Surf.

Okay......well I am going to post here today as well, as a little birdie told me that I have been having balanced days lately And I'm really happy about that because I have been trying.

Breakfast:
    2 cups of cofee with non-dairy creamer.
    1/2 cup BBQ baked beans
    2 slices organic multi-seed toast with earthbalance.

Lunch:
    medium size container of home-made vegetable pasta(brown rice pasta, organic tomato sauce, organic carrots, organic corn, white mushrooms, chopped tofurkey italian sausage, green pepper and roasted sweet golden squash).
    Water.

Snack:
    handful of vegan jelly beans.

Dinner:
    2 "roast wheat" sandwiches (fake roast beef which actually tastes very nice if you like fake meats)
    Salad: romaine, tomato, cucumber, carrot, beets, mushrooms, balsamic vinigerette.
    Water.

Dessert:
    cup of soy nog.
    2 organic sandwich cream cookies

Not as much veggies or fruits as yesterday but it could change since it's only 8pm.

Breakfast:
    Half of a seasme seed bagel with Earth Balance margarine
    Cup of soy milk

Snack:
    Nuts over chocolate Luna bar

Lunch:
    Mjdera (Middle Eastern dish of lentils and bulgur)
    Lots of salad (romaine lettuce, broccoli, red pepper, radish, tomato, green onion, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, salt+pepper...)

Supper:
    More mjedera!
    Huge pickle
    Some pita bread

Evening snack:
    Half of a seasme seed bagel with Earth Balance margarine
    Half a cup of coffee with half a cup of soy milk yum!

I don't know what else for tonight.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

first time posting here! i try to stick pretty much to the diet my holistic health nutritionist laid out - except I don't have a scale soo I'm not exactly sure how I'm doing on getting the right number of oz except when I make tofu because I know the packages are 6 oz. but here goes..

B: Soy Protein shake (one scoop w. 6-8oz ish of Soy Milk)

S: apple. then a couple hours later I tried a wheat free choc. chip cookie (not initially added in the diet plan but it was good and once in a while thing is okay)

L: a long rectangular slice of rye bread cut in 2 to make a sandwhich w. some earth balance and 2 slices of smart deli ham. sizeable bowl of tomato soup.

S: 2 rice cakes w. 2 tbsp. of soynut butte

D: huugee salad w. dark leafy green lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and a little avocado topped w. thai style tofu! it was so yummy and filling

tis all. yummy day. I really like the structure he gave me and how everything is planned out - eventually hopefully it will all come naturally but for now its working for me.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

B: Chocolate almond milk with mint tea and espresso, so a homemade mint mocha w/o all the extra sugar of a syrup.

S: Raw coleslaw (cucumber, tomato, purple cabbage, carrot, oils, juices, spices)

L: Raw tacos (ground walnut mixture, jalepenos, pico de gallo, generous amounts of guacamole , on romaine lettuce leaves)

S: Raw broccoli with mock peanut sauce

D: Raw stir-fry (sprouted wild rice, cashews, carrots, radishes, beets, zucchini, purple cabbage, red bell pepper, green onion, bok choy, flax and olive oil, citrus juices)

Making my way through leftovers! I might have raw banana (frozen) ice cream tonight.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

It's weird - I didn't plan to go completely raw, but I haven't felt like cooked food for a few days. I better eat some cooked, or else my friends and dates will kill me!

Oh man those raw tacos sounds so yummy!

Raw banana ice cream is one of my favourites... In fact, I just finished a bowl.
    X

Do you have a recipe?

All you have to do is freeze some bananas and process or blend them to the ice cream like consistency you desire. I like to add peanut butter and cinnamon. Sometimes I'll add in chocolate, too.
    X

Thanks.

So I haven't really posted in any of the "what did you eat" threads, but I figured I woiuld now.

Breakfast: Ezekiel bread toast. Two oranges. One banana.

Snack: Another orange

Lunch: Beans with whole grain corn chips.

Snack: Banana ice cream. (can you tell yet that I need to go shopping and the only fruit I had left today were bananas and oranges?)

Dinner: Two peanut butter sandwiches with two glasses of fortified soymilk. One glass of orange juice with my disgusting vitamin powder mixed in (counts as another 2-3 servings of fruits and vegetables)

Snack: Large bowl of broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, bell peppers, lima beans, and italian beans with oil.
    X

What is Ezekial bread? I've seen it in health food stores before. Is it much healthier than other breads?

ConsciousCuisine

It is GREAT! It's a flourless sprouted bread. Eat it!!! It is high in fiber and protein and a much better bread choice.

L: Raw tacos (ground walnut mixture, jalepenos, pico de gallo, generous amounts of guacamole , on romaine lettuce leaves)
    This sounds really good! I think I will try it. I think it's really creative how a raw taco uses lettuce as the tortilla. I should try that because I have such a bread addiction that I think using the lettuce would subtract a lot of calories out for me. Is there a specific recipe for making the walnut mix... like any spices? I'm seriosly going to make this as soon as I go food shopping.
    Oh, and did you make the pico de gallo yourself, or did you buy it premade?

The only bread I eat is ezekial bread! I highly recommend it. One question, is it considered raw?
    X

I made the pico de gallo myself, with fresh tomatoes, jalapeno, and onions. Add lime juice if desired.

The walnut mixture is 3 cups of walnuts, 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. of cumin, 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. of coriander, 1/3 c. nama shoyu, and then I also added chili powder to taste, lime juice to taste, and jalapenos to taste. You can really have fun with it. The mixture is salty, so adding spicy jalapenos helps.

Also, my raw food cookbooks ALL use nama shoyu or Bragg's, so it's my understanding that in general, the raw community accepts these items. I will use them, but if I cook for others and they request me not to for whatever reason, then I won't.

Quote Zanahorias!
    The only bread I eat is ezekial bread! I highly recommend it. One question, is it considered raw?
    No, I believe they still have to bake it. It's just flourless.

I love Ezekiel bread but I also eat pita and sometimes bagels.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Artichoke47
    Also, my raw food cookbooks ALL use nama shoyu or Bragg's, so it's my understanding that in general, the raw community accepts these items.

Most cookbooks do use them, but they aren't raw, they are cooked. I have spoken with Patricia Bragg myself and discussed this very thing (I have a picture of her and my daughter and my daughter is TALLER than her!!!) but that's another story.

But it's a matter of personal preference how raw or cooked one's diet is, just as with everything else. Many raw foodists aren't really "raw" just like many "vegans" aren't actually vegan and the same goes for "vegetarians" as well (I am sure we all know of a fish-eating "vegetarian" ).

It's my understanding that they are fermented and not cooked, but I don't want to argue semantics, and you know more about this than I do.

Either way, I'm proud of myself or anyone who eats more raw veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains and legumes, oils, regardless if their condiments are "cooked."

ETA: Some recipes do say that you can use Celtic sea salt instead of Bragg's or nama shoyu, so just use that for a salty flavor if you guys want to avoid those condiments, like in the walnut mixture, though, arguably, in this instance, the Bragg's is for moisture and color, as the walnuts are already salty.

Also, when I say I eat raw, I mean exactly that - eat/ate food, not including drink, because I realize my breakfast drink wasn't raw.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Artichoke47
    It's my understanding that they are fermented and not cooked, but I don't want to argue semantics, and you know more about this than I do.

Either way, I'm proud of myself or anyone who eats more raw veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains and legumes, oils, regardless if their condiments are "cooked."
    I am proud of you too!!! I am not critiquing you or your food choices (you always eat really healthy anyway and since you haven't expressed a desire to have me assist you with your nutrition, I wouldn't offer advice ).

They are actually cooked and THEN fermented, making them "live" not "raw" but definetly cooked before they become "live". Again, Patricia Bragg confirmed the cooking process by which the "Braggs Liquid Aminos" are made and I have actually assisted in the making of traditional Nama Shoyu and know first-hand that the soybeans are cooked and then fermented.

I'm also proud of you artichoke. I tend to shift from eating high-raw for about a month, then returning about 50-50 for month, and so on and so forth. I think it would be easier if I were already moved out, etc. The main point of eating raw foods, however, is incorporating as much as you want, rather than having to be all raw, all the time.
    X

i would like to eat more raw, but i get discouraged because my condiments arent raw, and i cant afford certain things to replace them. i guess thats not the point though is it. i suppose eating more raw in general, regardless of the condiments, is healthier anyway, since youre upping your intake of raw foods.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Yeah, Tina! We just won't claim to be raw experts.

Thanks for the clarification, CC. That kind of disappoints me that raw food cookbooks aren't 100% raw, because I was using them as my resource for what is raw or not, though everything else definitely is because it's vegetables, fruit, or sprouted items. Also, if someone was cooking for a raw foodist and didn't know about the nama shoyu or Bragg's, then that wouldn't be good for the raw foodist (talking a real one of course, just like we're real vegans). Hmm.

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I eat LESS vegetables when they are raw.

Take broccoli, for example. After a cup or two of it raw, I don't want anymore. But if I was to steam it, I could eat 5 cups of it!

Quote Tigerlily
    Maybe I'm a weirdo but I eat LESS vegetables when they are raw.

Take broccoli, for example. After a cup or two of it raw, I don't want anymore. But if I was to steam it, I could eat 5 cups of it!
    same here, tigerlily. i think it's because i can eat the cooked quicker (chew less).

Yeah! That must be it.

If you marinate broccoli for a day or so, slice it thinly, you can make it softer and seem "cooked."

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Artichoke47
    If you marinate broccoli for a day or so, slice it thinly, you can make it softer and seem "cooked."
    Yeah! And for those with a dehydrator, it can have a "cooked" texture and taste even if dehydrated after marinating.

Tigerlilly, I don't eat broccoli or cauliflower raw as it doesn't agree with me at all; I lightly steam it and can eat 5 cups as well

Yeah, it's delicious with some garlic and lemon juice.

Mmm!

Wow, I'm eating my raw crackers, bought here: http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-bin/order...od&sc=Crackers, and they are SOOO good!!

B: Mint mocha

L: Raw coleslaw

D: Sahara spice raw cracker, pizza raw cracker with sun-dried tomatoes and oil, and two vegetable wraps with romaine lettuce leaves and raw vegetable mixture

S: For later, my raw carob mousse (with bananas) and raw vanilla cream

I really want to try eating raw foods now!

Breakfast:
    2 pieces of toasted Ezekiel bread with jam and peanut butter
    Warm soy milk with some coffee for flavour

Lunch:
    Leftover mjudera (lentils and bulgur)
    Tomato slices
    3 handfuls of baby carrots

Snack:
    Tea

Supper:
    Veggie dog
    Homemade fries
    Tall glass of cranberry juice

Dessert:
    Banana
    Pudding

Evening snack:
    Flax power bar (flax, dried berries, seasme seeds, almonds...not the best but not too bad)

Breakfast: An orange, ezekiel bread with peanut butter, kashi puffs with soymilk and hemp/flax granola.

Snack: Handful of halawi dates, two bananas.

Lunch: Whole wheat elbow pasta with chunky tomato sauce.

Snack: An apple. Two ezekiel raisin bread peanut butter sandwiches.

Dinner: Salad with a lot of peas and an oil dressing, and spaghetti with planty of tomato sauce.

Snack: Mixed vegetables.
    X

Hooray, I'm back to the UK! My day yesterday was pretty rubbish, though I tried to eat healthily.

breakfast: grapefruit, orange, banana, soy yogurt, amaranth muesli
    snack on the way to the airport: apple
    flight cancelled, so no ordered vegan lunch (which I didn't get on the outbound flight despite having ordered it) as I had to take a flight to London instead and then travel by taxi, so on the way: 2 apples, orange, banana, handful of trail mix
    dinner: huge plateful of roasted veg (squash, carrots, parsnips, swede) served with millet and nutritional yeast
    late snack: 2 squares of marzipan chocolate (stocked up in good old Germany )
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

to everyone here as you all eat so well

i LOVE eating brown rice. especially with a tad bit of vegan butter and a tbs or two of organic tamari. i wanted to up the health factor since i know brown rice by itself, while brown rice is healthy, could be so much healthier with things added to it. i was thinking of adding lentils (not sure what color, anyone have a suggestion?), aswell as some cooked swiss chard. that way i can get in some leafy greens and lentils (as cc has suggested to me ) as i dont like lentils any other way, and ive never tried dark leafy greens like that. well, now to think of it, i really enjoy baby spinach in my salads. would that count as a leafy green? i would love it if i could just add that to my salads and get in some leafy greens.

what does everyone think?

(aswell as upping my intake of fruit, and snacking on raw veggies such as carrots and whatnot. i already really enjoy beans and salads, i just need to up my intake of them. i also already enjoy drinking soy milk. and i really enjoy nutritional yeast aswell )

does everyone think this is a good idea?

ive been eating like crap lately and really need to start adding in some healthy things. theres no way a human body can suffice on the crap ive been putting into it, and i know this. its why ive been feeling like rubbish lately!

A mixture of greens and chickpeas with garlic and tamari, maybe even a bit of onion, would be good over brown rice. There's a similiar Indian dish.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Artichoke47
    A mixture of greens and chickpeas with garlic and tamari, maybe even a bit of onion, would be good over brown rice.
    Yes! Add in lemon or lime juice, nutritional yeast and what more do you need? DEEEE-licios and nutritious!

If this isn't a delicious day, I don't know what is.

Breakfast:
    Leftover lentils and bulgur eaten with pita bread
    Tomato slices

Snack:
    1/2 bagel with Earth Balance margarine
    Cup of tea

Lunch:
    Sauteed mushrooms, onions, and bean sprouts in olive oil, seasoned with cumin (oh man, cumin makes vegetables feel like they are melting with flavour!!) and soy sauce, served over rice

Supper:
    While the family was eating greasy looking chicken soup, I had non-artery clogging nachos. My father even looked up from his soup bowl, licked his lips, and said, "Mm, you gonna finish that?"
    Anyway, it was nacho chips with LOADS green onion, ripe tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and salsa eaten with some carrot sticks

Dessert:
    Milky decaf coffee with vanilla extract for extra flavour
    3 cookies

B: Soy protein shake

late snack: apple

L: bowl of low-fat veggie broth soup. a whole sandwhich today w. 2 slices of toasted rye bread and 4 slices (a serving size) of smart deli ham w. a little earth balance. yumm.

S: 2 rice cakes w. 2 tbsp of soynut butter.

D: will be a big bowl of soup - veggie broth, zucchini, celery, tomato i think, and tofu dogs cut up (6 oz of protein worth and 8 oz of veggies ideally if i guesstimate right). hopefully it will turn out well!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

so spinach IS considered a leafy green?

Yes but I don't think it ranks as high as kale, for example.

no post for a while as I haven't been eating as healthily as I would have liked, but when I'm writing essays for uni I simply forget to eat...
    yesterday was better again, so here we go:
    breakfast: grapefruit, banana, raisins, soy yog, amaranth muesli
    snack: 2 apples
    lunch: salad (lettuce, cress, cucumber, tomatoes, green pepper), rye bread, vegemite
    snack: carrots
    dinner: roasted veg (squash, carrots, swede, parsnips) with nutritional yeast, millet
    snack: orange
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Breakfast:
    Bowl of plain, iron fortified oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar
    1/2 cup of warm soy milk with 1/2 cup of coffee

Snack between classes:
    Sandwich made with 2 pieces of sprouted grain bread and peanut butter, cut into bite sized squares

Late lunch:
    HUGE salad of dark romaine lettuce, cauliflower, tomatoes, green onions, green peppers, red peppers, radishes, olive oil, lemon juice, dried mint
    Roasted veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions) with a touch of Earth Balance margarine
    1 tsp flax oil drizzled over everything

Snack #2:
    Cup of white tea
    Banana

Supper:
    Guacamole-thing (mashed avocado, diced tomato, a bit of salsa, salt and pepper, pinch of cumin) eaten with pita bread

Dessert:
    3 thick pineapple rings with black pepper

Ok, this is my first time posting here because I don't know if I'm worthy enough yet to post as being "proud to eat healthy". But I'm trying really hard. So will you let me know what you think?

- bowl of asian stirfry (soybeans, whole wheat noodles, brocolli, carrots, red cabbage, sunflower seeds and a spicy sauce)

- organic peanut butter and raspberry jelly on 2 slices of organic whole wheat sprouted bread

- small cocoa cookie

- handful of dried cranberries & sunflower seeds

- 1 orange

- a couple glasses of water

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    Yes but I don't think it ranks as high as kale, for example.
    Kale is the BEST for several reasons, but spinach is right up there! Broccoli is not really a leafy green, but it is the healthiest veggie according to many Doctors.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote thecatspajamas1
    Ok, this is my first time posting here because I don't know if I'm worthy enough yet to post as being "proud to eat healthy". But I'm trying really hard. So will you let me know what you think?

- bowl of asian stirfry (soybeans, whole wheat noodles, brocolli, carrots, red cabbage, sunflower seeds and a spicy sauce)

- organic peanut butter and raspberry jelly on 2 slices of organic whole wheat sprouted bread

- small cocoa cookie

- handful of dried cranberries & sunflower seeds

- 1 orange

- a couple glasses of water
    You are doing a great job! I wish other teens ate as well as you, vegan or not! Kinda low calorie but I remember you saying you were losing weight, so just be sure you get around 1500 calories daily. Are you taking a calcium supplement? You could use a bit more protein; I would add some lentils, beans, tempeh or tofu

Thanks CC.

The stir fry was mostly soybeans. (The green frozen kind in a bag). It was the first time I ever cooked soybeans not in a premade form (like tempheh etc) and I thought they were so good. My mom and my brother both told me that too much soy is bad for you. But I've read articles saying that it can reduce the risk of some cancers. Do you know anything about that? But I take everything they say (concerning nutrition) with a grain of salt. They both are always telling me that I'm a terrible eater and that I need to go on a diet, but my brother cooks meat/eggs at pretty much every meal and when I try to tell him he's going to have high cholesterol he ignores me. :/

By the way, are sunflower seeds a good protein source? (because we happen to have a lot of those in the kitchen right now)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote foxytina_69
    to everyone here as you all eat so well

i LOVE eating brown rice. especially with a tad bit of vegan butter and a tbs or two of organic tamari. i wanted to up the health factor since i know brown rice by itself, while brown rice is healthy, could be so much healthier with things added to it. i was thinking of adding lentils (not sure what color, anyone have a suggestion?), aswell as some cooked swiss chard. that way i can get in some leafy greens and lentils (as cc has suggested to me ) as i dont like lentils any other way, and ive never tried dark leafy greens like that. well, now to think of it, i really enjoy baby spinach in my salads. would that count as a leafy green? i would love it if i could just add that to my salads and get in some leafy greens.

what does everyone think?

(aswell as upping my intake of fruit, and snacking on raw veggies such as carrots and whatnot. i already really enjoy beans and salads, i just need to up my intake of them. i also already enjoy drinking soy milk. and i really enjoy nutritional yeast aswell )

does everyone think this is a good idea?

ive been eating like crap lately and really need to start adding in some healthy things. theres no way a human body can suffice on the crap ive been putting into it, and i know this. its why ive been feeling like rubbish lately!
    Your plan sounds GREAT! Eating meals spread out during the day and getting around 1500 calories minimum will make a big difference in how you feel. I know it's more costly to eat better but it can be done on a budget as well...making your own lentils and beans and eating greens daily is so good for you