Thread: caramel apples

Talking caramel apples

i found this recipe using a search on google. the website i got it from is http://www.tasteofhealth.net well i found it on this website actually: http://www.wbaj.net/radio_recipes.htm but it lead to the previous link i gave which is where it was located. theres some interesting recipes on the website. im not sure if theyre all vegan though.

i thought id post it in time for halloween for anyone who loves caramel dipped apples!

this is the recipe:

Caramel Apples

1 1/4 cups Sucanat
    1 cup lite coconut milk
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla
    6 small Granny Smith apples or favorite tart variety
    1 1/2 cups raw or roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped, or favorite nut

1. In a medium saucepan, bring Sucanat, coconut milk, oil and vanilla to a low rolling boil. Clamp your candy thermometer to the side of the pan, making sure the bottom of the thermometer is not resting against the bottom of the pan. Slowly bring the mixture to 260 degrees F, stirring often. This will take about 20 minutes. You do not want to bring the mixture to this temperature too quickly, as it doesn't allow proper evaporation time for the liquids.

2. While the mixture heats, prepare apples. Use cold apples for best results. Wash and dry completely. You can insert Popsicle sticks, round chopsticks or small clean twigs for a festive touch.

3. Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter with the apples on top of it. Remove the caramel from the heat as soon as it reaches the proper temperature. Working quickly, swirl the apples in the caramel and then roll them in the nuts. Place on parchment and allow to cool.

i dont have a candy thermometer so i dont know if it will work or not but hopefully it will! ill post my results tommorow
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Seaside

Default Re: caramel apples

If you don't have a candy thermometer, foxytina, keep a glass of ice water near your pot, and drop a little syrup in as you cook. When it hardens up like caramel should be it is ready. I think it is called "soft ball stage". But you know what caramel is supposed to be like.

thanks seaside!!! thats a GREAT tip!

Oh cool sound nice.

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I can highly recomend getting a candy thermometer if you wanna boil sugar more than once or twice a year. Whilst the dropping in water thing works(ish) its so much more convinient and accurate to have a thermometer. Mine cost under 5 uk pounds (approx 9 US dollars).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I can also recommend getting a candy thermometer, however, beware the very cheap ones that don't have a casing, they smash quite easily. My parents have a great sturdy one, like a stainless steel ruler with temperatures up the side and the glass tube in the middle, and that's lasted them about as long as I've been alive

Quote twinkle
    I can also recommend getting a candy thermometer, however, beware the very cheap ones that don't have a casing, they smash quite easily. My parents have a great sturdy one, like a stainless steel ruler with temperatures up the side and the glass tube in the middle, and that's lasted them about as long as I've been alive
    agreed, i have one of these which are quite easy to get hold of in the UK for around 5 or 6 quid.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

well im making the caramel. i had to halve the recipe since i only have 3 apples. i dont know if its deep enough to swirl the apples in it. theres not very much liquid. :S it smells divine though!

i dropped a bit into a glass of cold water but it just dissolved. anyone know why? does that just mean its not ready?

okay well i did the apples. it SORT OF stuck but not as thickly as id like it to have. but theres extra caramel left over so im going to pour the rest on once its cooled a bit in hopes that its thickened. the caramel itself tastes DELICIOUS though!

Seaside

Quote foxytina_69
    i dropped a bit into a glass of cold water but it just dissolved. anyone know why? does that just mean its not ready?
    Its a little late now I guess, but yeah, the syrup wasn't ready. It would have balled up if it were, and if you wanted it to get even harder, it would have gotten hard and brittle as soon as it hit the water.

Glad it was tasty! I love caramel too.

i cooked it for longer than 20 minutes, on a low rolling boil. so that makes me sad. yeah it didnt stick very well. ohwell