Thread: Hayfever

Default Hayfever

Hey everyone,

Well it's that time of the year, the sneezy season. This week my hayfever began at a profound rate. I cannot stop sneezing, my nose is running and my eyes are itching. I can't see properly and everytime I go outside I'm a mess.

Last year I didn't get hayfever so much and if it was a problem I would take a tablet...however, now that I'm cutting out all animal products I can only imagine chemist bought tablets adhere to that criteria.

So my question is, what is available for vegans in Australia to "cure" hayfever?

I really need to find something before my exams (so I can see the paper properly) that will fix this bloody thing!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Hayfever

In my experience nothing cures hayfever. Sorry. I think if someone made really small filters we could insert inside our nostrils, that would work. Befor the exam smear some oily concoction (like petroleum jelly) inside the nostrils this will work for an hour or two, all the nasty pollons etc stick to it and can't enter your sinus area. Good luck

hi, have you checked out this thread? it's not Oz-specific but might help.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That looks very interesting, I suffer from eczema and the itching can drive me insane, Quercetin looks like something I would be interested in. I'll have to source a local verson

Quote Gorilla
    hi, have you checked out this thread? it's not Oz-specific but might help.
    Thanks.The advice is really interesting. I loved the sound of Mary's gran, she sounds alot like my Irish gran. The story made me cry, mine's kinda similar.

As for the remedies I think I will try the echinacia and fenugreek tea. They sound like they may be the most palitable .

Quote abrennan
    That looks very interesting, I suffer from eczema and the itching can drive me insane, Quercetin looks like something I would be interested in. I'll have to source a local verson
    Antony.
    Lots of people swear by paw paw ointment (vegan?)
    and chickweed.
    Also don't use soap on the eczema effected parts- avoid detergents yay no more dishwashing

Quote treehugga
    Antony.
    Lots of people swear by paw paw ointment (vegan?)
    and chickweed.
    Also don't use soap on the eczema effected parts- avoid detergents yay no more dishwashing
    Yeah tried em, that only works for people with atopic eczema, problems with skin contact. Mine is an internal infammatory thing, over acidic, ph imbalance. There are heaps of things that I don't eat as they rapidly produce itching. I have no skin lesions thank Jebus. But ITCHING, oh mamma.

I'm trying to eat lotsa stuff that produces alkalinity in the body, except when I was in Melbourne, I didn't get enough fresh veggies and fruit, that came from all that eating out i did.

My whole skin surface is affected, I haven't used normal soap for years, thanks for the info though.

Quote abrennan
    Yeah tried em, that only works for people with atopic eczema, problems with skin contact. Mine is an internal infammatory thing, over acidic, ph imbalance. There are heaps of things that I don't eat as they rapidly produce itching. I have no skin lesions thank Jebus. But ITCHING, oh mamma.

I'm trying to eat lotsa stuff that produces alkalinity in the body, except when I was in Melbourne, I didn't get enough fresh veggies and fruit, that came from all that eating out i did.

My whole skin surface is affected, I haven't used normal soap for years, thanks for the info though.
    Cripes You may have to take things a step further and become a Breathenairian

Quote treehugga
    Cripes You may have to take things a step further and become a Breathenairian
    Yeah I want to type that in the How vegan are you thread. I Am so vegan that I'm not going to eat anything, i'll exist on filtered air, I'll save on buying veggies and toilet paper. Oh well you pushed me to saying that

cross barer

Ever tried fasting or detox antony? If its an allergy there may be microorganisms in your system which are the cause which can be controlled through elimination.

Quote adam antichrist
    Ever tried fasting or detox antony? If its an allergy there may be microorganisms in your system which are the cause which can be controlled through elimination.
    Yep, thanks Doctor Antichrist, Detoxed many times, planning to do it again soon, it makes me feel great and is good health wise but don't stop da itching, it has reduced it though. The closest I have come to a valid explanation is that it is a PH imbalance which causes the body to be over acidic. I itch when I sweat, when I have a shower or bath, when I go to bed, or when I eat particular foods that exacerbate the acidity.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately the tablets did work well for me, so knowing their in the house while I'm absolutely miserable is not helping. I'll try to stay away from them as long as possible. Plus I have to start taking a dose of ventalin because I get asthma around this time too which probably isn't vegan either

I'll test out the vaseline theory today!

Quote StmpyElephant
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately the tablets did work well for me, so knowing their in the house while I'm absolutely miserable is not helping. I'll try to stay away from them as long as possible. Plus I have to start taking a dose of ventalin because I get asthma around this time too which probably isn't vegan either

I'll test out the vaseline theory today!
    Don't beat yourself up, come on now, chin up
    You may need to take the medication. I know it's awful and I'm trying not to as well, but heck if you can't breath .

I have tried every cure available (I think) for migraine but still have to have the perscribed medication - don't know what's in it but I'm sure it can't be good, but it's that or have 3 days a week where I can't function at allwhich means I couldn't work or look after my kids.

Have you tried the echinacia everyone seems to be suggesting or tissue salts?

Quote abrennan
    Yep, thanks Doctor Antichrist, Detoxed many times, planning to do it again soon, it makes me feel great and is good health wise but don't stop da itching, it has reduced it though. The closest I have come to a valid explanation is that it is a PH imbalance which causes the body to be over acidic. I itch when I sweat, when I have a shower or bath, when I go to bed, or when I eat particular foods that exacerbate the acidity.
    Antony, think of the wonderful home you are providing for all those cute little bugs in your system

Thanks for the kind words treehugger. I think it is hard sometimes, because you feel as though you are doing a diservice by using medication when you may suffer for awhile but that's nothing compared to what animals suffer. However, I do know that when there's no alternative you sometimes have to accept that you can't put your life on hold and take medication.

Oh, BTW is there a vegan brand of panadol out there? Or am I just dreaming

P.S The vaseline didn't work, so I'll try to find some Nettle Tea. Otherwise I may have to take a tablet on the day fo the exam.

Quote StmpyElephant
    Thanks for the kind words treehugger. I think it is hard sometimes, because you feel as though you are doing a diservice by using medication when you may suffer for awhile but that's nothing compared to what animals suffer. However, I do know that when there's no alternative you sometimes have to accept that you can't put your life on hold and take medication.

Oh, BTW is there a vegan brand of panadol out there? Or am I just dreaming

P.S The vaseline didn't work, so I'll try to find some Nettle Tea. Otherwise I may have to take a tablet on the day fo the exam.
    I use something with eucalyptus in it. You need to smear it around fairly thickly.. Lots of people on this forum have suggested Quercetin from the healthfood shop.
    Something else that could be good is Echinacia 5000 plus but it is expensive. Really effective for curing colds etc quick smart.