Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crafty ways to end ignorance

Default Re: Crafty ways to end ignorance

Quote DancingWillow
    Now I have an excuse to shop...all in the name of vegan awareness, of course
    Haha, I have noticed a dramatic increase in my spending lately

I think its great that you guys are brainstorming ideas of spreading veganism. For what its worth, I have to say I think that leaving anonmous leaflets and such are not a good idea. I don't think people respond well to this. Whenever I see a religeous leaflet in a mens room or on my door, I feel like they are invading my space and trying to push there beleifs on me. And as someone else posted, most people don't like to read things.
    Unfortunatly I don't have any other ideas at the moment, except for tattooing "VEGAN" across my back, wich I have already done. I figured a few people would ask me about it at the gym or the beach, but no one has. Maybe the skull tattoo scares them away. Anyhow, I will start thinking of new ideas and post them.
    What do you mean, "why am I vegan?"

Zero Cool, I agree with you somewhat but I think that different methods affect different people at different times. Then again, I never read any pamphlets prior to becoming vegan so who's to say how I would have reacted? But I definitely would have asked about your tattoo.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

There are lots of great ideas here. It would be great to distill them into a single article.

If some one would like to do that I would post it on ActiVeg - a site dedicated to promoting positive vegan campaigning.

The article would sit here somewhere:

http://www.activeg.org/articles/127.html

You'll get credit on the website but more importantly you'll be helping those new to the cause to make the best use of their time.

Either post it here or directly to http://www.activeg.org/contact.html.

If you're familiar with LVW (www.lvw.makessense.co.uk) and perhaps have more stuff you could contribute, then I can create you a login to the ActiVeg.

I had a plain top. I have decorated it with nail polish and put the words "groovy vegan" on it. It would be good to have tops with reasons to go vegan or something on them rather than just "vegan" or "go vegan" on them

Keenkitty

I write a local column where I talk about health issues that have been resolved for me with veganism.

I have carpaal tunnel, Syringomyelia, Chronic Fatigue and Degenerative disc and bone disease. I used to walk with a cane and miss all kinds of work.

NOW I don't walk with a cane, I am exercising again, and my pain level has gone down from 8-10 on a daily basis to around 3/4-10 at night only.

LIFE CHANGING

sugarmouse

Its funnyI ws thinking abotu that the other day...but im stuck for ideas.I like designing my own T shirts n vest tops....it would need to be a pretty short straightforward phrase and i cnt think of one

This is something that I want to get printed onto a t-shirt for my cranky-vegan days when I am fed up with everything.

IGNORANCE
    APATHY
    CRUELTY

What are your excuses for eating meat?

I don't mind who uses it - the more the merrier.

Maybe have a new t-shirt label ''Angry Vegan''
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Cool idea Veganblue. I would add 'selfishness' to that list as well.

Quote DancingWillow
    Oooh, I didn't know they had that! Now I have an excuse to shop...all in the name of vegan awareness, of course

I just went on PETA and found the perfect t-shirt, someone i know whats to breed from there dog because it's "natural" so I need to wear this so people know what I think about it! lol

http://www.petacatalog.org/prodinfo.asp?number=TS128
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote veganblue

IGNORANCE
    APATHY
    CRUELTY

What are your excuses for eating meat?
    Love it!!!!!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Quote chickendude
    I volunteered at PETA a few months ago and they had these HUGE walls filled with various stickers. Needless to say, I grabbed more than I thought I'd ever need, although I'm now out. For about two weeks straight, ever chicken breast/leg/other slaughtered poultry product bore the following:
    WARNING: This package contains the decomposing corpse of a small tortured bird.
    I like this idea, but be careful- some supermarkets might throw the meat away because they cant sell it with the stickers on, which is a waste of a life.
    I dont know how else to spread the word, though this idea is amazing!

The idea about leaving leaflets in library books and on buses/trains are great. Guess I'd best stock up with soem reason to go veggie leaflets! The stickering ones for meat such as "decomposing corpse" and "hello my name was" sound like they could be pretty effective, any idea where to buy some printed stickers or is it a case of printing your own at home / grouping together a big order forprofessional printers?

In the past I used loads of the IAMs stickers up by putting them all over the packets on the front row in shops. In one shop (a large supermarkets) I came back a MONTH later and the stickers were still there! So the shop hadn't sold any IAMs during that month! I guess most people who buy that stuiff are animal lovers and would hate to know that animals suffered to test pet food so it seemed a fairly successful bit of stickering.

The stickers were the PETA ones, and did camouflage themselves pretty well with rest of packaging so I guess shopworkers either didn't notice or if they did were supportive of the anti-IAMs. Does anyone know where I can get any non-PETA ones for future stickering?

Trom

Keenkitty

Yeah Peta makes good merch to end the whole consumerism/meatism crap. It sucks that their agency is basically like a super ASPCA with no placement option for the animals they take in to slaughter.

Don't critisize the HSUS or SPCA if you don't even PLACE animals you get!

Yeah I want to see a non-peta sticker place pop up too, I would prefer not to give peta anymore money

have I found myself in another liberal firing squad... a circle? Ya'll don't have to agree with everything Peta does; I have my reservations. But they sure are there with materials and advice when I get active! Also, I side with them on rather-dead-than-caged.
    That reminds me... time to round up stray literature and drop off at a dentists waiting room on my way into town. The chinese takeaway too could use some mags...
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I agree Pat Sommer. Glad to find someone else who does. Too many people slag off PETA for their euthanasia policy but these people don't have the answers to the unwanted pet population problem. PETA are just being realistic.

forthebirds

You have all given me some great ideas! I've gotten permission for most of my county's libraries to place a local Veg Restaurant Guide in the area with their free pamphlets available for the public, but I'm not allowed to place them myself and have yet to see them out when I've checked (they claim they must be going fast ), so I have my doubts that they are getting placed. So I really like the idea of sticking things in library books instead!

I put one of Peta's little business-card type message thingies (they have different messages and facts on them) in all the bills I mail, although I do tend to pay most online these days.

I found a neat way of turnin g veggie into vegans.

I sent the "get vegan" leaflet from the vegan soc to some veggie friends but I sent them anon.

so far out of 7 I have sent 4 have now turned vegan, 2 of them actually rang me up and asked me for help
    I also turned vegan after reading the same leaflet - as like many I had no idea of the creulty involved in the dairy & egg industry.

also if you know anyone who is into nutrition or sport but not veggie we found the cd - 7 deadly sins - by Dr Joe Esposito, works a treat as its not a nasty cd but gently explains what meat does to the body. Alot of ppl I know went veggie after hearing that cd.

G

hi gibby-

i looked on vegan society's website for the phamplet you're referring to. no such luck. can you post a link or somehting. i'm very interested in this.

thanks!
    "Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

There are so many good ideas floating around here. Thanks! I try to cook a lot for others because so many people have a very stubborn tofu-lettuce-leaf stereotyped mentality about veganism and when they eat a vegan cupcake, for example, it really seems to enlighten them. The person who most contributed to my "conversion" to veganism always seemed to have fun with it, and that's what intrigued me.

this weekend, me and a friend are going to go and pretend to try on fur coats and put peta anti-fur leaflets in the pockets if them. i think this is a promising way to get the massage across to people.

I leaflet like there's no tomorrow
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

Mahk

I'd like to wear a clothing button which has my new signature phrase, as seen at the bottom of this post. I made it up myself. I think it would help me to meet more vegans and encourage omni's to think. You can also use it as a greeting when you meet someone new.

Example:

Omni, "Hi, how are you today?"
    Vegan, "Just great, and I'm proud to say that I didn't kill any animals. And you?"
    Omni, "Me neither! I just love animals!"
    Vegan, "Great, so you're a vegan too!"
    Omni, "...er, um, no, I eat meat."
    Vegan, [looking quizzically] "I'm sorry, I don't understand, are you unaware of where meat comes from? Or consider paying other people to kill animals for you, 'not your fault'? Please explain."

If this doesn't get them to realize what hypocrites they are, I don't know what will. Everyone will say, "they love animals", even hunters!

I usually laugh out loud at them "hope you don't love children, then!"

Pat, that is GORGEOUS!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

eeuuiwww! just saw the pics on another thread by Korn of 'encrusted fecal matter removed from colon wall' If that doesn't get someone to put down their ham sandwhich and back away slowly, nothing will
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...=4449#post4449

Gross! Colon-cleanse in the spring, anyone?

Telling my boyfriend that milk contains pus has now put him off milk and cheese. Result
    Don't hate...educate!

Hello all.

I used to go into discussion with people about it but I gave up. I got sick and tired of always hearing the same dumb arguments and decided it would be better for me and them to just shut up about it. Might as well talk to a rock.

Lately I've been spamming my entourage with copies of Earthlings, but they just shut it off after 10 minutes. They just don't want to know, and it pisses me off.

Quote Tikkin View Post
    Telling my boyfriend that milk contains pus has now put him off milk and cheese. Result
    Yeah, the compassion argument doesn't work with most men, because it's not macho to be compassionate. It's better to confront them with health/hygiene issues.

I just got some really cute buttons from Peta that have sparked alot of questions from people. One says "powered by tofu" and has a picture of a smiling chunk of tofu. The other says "I am not a nugget" with a picture of a baby chicken. I pinned them to my purse and got some more to give to all my vegetarian/vegan friends (only 50 cents each). Since the pictures are friendly, not abraisive, I've been able to have some positive conversations with meat eaters and I tell them they can't have a cute button unless they stop eating meat!

This isn't too crafty, in fact it's really downright in-your-face, but if anyone in the UK could handle being in front of a class full of kids, et in touch with Animal Aid. They're always after school speakers, who go into schools in PSE lessons and the like, and educate the kids on animal rights and vegetarianism. I did it once with Span, (granted, she took most of the lesson whilst I just stood and offered my support and occasional chiming in) and although I've not had anywhere near enough time to do another one since, I think it's a great way to get young minds interested and aware about the cause. Animal Aid will supply you with all the videos, visual aids, leaflets and training you need =)

lovely idea, congrats!

i would love to do the same, let's do it then!
    kind regards

anne sophie

Default In Need of Some Support

Hello! My grad from Biology is tomorrow and one of my duties on the grad committee was to get prizes for a raffle. One of my fellow graduates and I decided that "biology themed" prizes would be good, so I went to the bookstore and bought a book on the environment, a book on flowers.. and then.. by instinct .. at the time I thought it was a beyond excellent idea, I bought a book for children about caring for and about animals. It's called "So, You Love Animals" by Zoe Weil.

I didn't read it too carefully before I bought it. I saw that it had a bit about being vegetarian/vegan in it, which got me mighty excited but also had stuff about making houses for your pets and reducing garbage in the oceans, etc. Anyways, on closer inspection it is really quite an intense book for children with regards to not eating meat, eggs, wearing wool.. etc. I would love to give such a book to my children someday (no children yet), but I have realized that giving this away in a raffle is a bit.. dangerous. I'm not sure what parent will get it and they may be frusterated by the material within it. I have decided that I am going to give it away in the raffle and I hope that somehow it can manage to find its way into the hands of the right individual.

I guess I was wondering what everyone elses experiences have been with trying to spread the vegan word? Also, I'm a bit nervous about giving the book out.

Emily
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 14th, 2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

BlackDog

Default Re: In Need of Some Support

I don't see any problem with your choice of book at all.
    Promoting kindness to animals is admirable.

Yes, I agree..............I think it's a great idea!

This is the book, is it?

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/eri...0/22/d6/8c.pdf

I don't see why you shouldn't raffle it, but it does contain some images that might be disturbing for children (they disturbed me!). Maybe to be on the safe side you could put a sticker on it advising people to read it with their children, rather than just hand it over?

I know parents ought to check books that they're going to give to their children themselves but I don't think they always do.

Oh yes. That's the book. I ended up giving it away in the raffle. It was won by one of my friend/a girl I know's Father. I became a bit nervous about giving the book out, especially since it is targetted to someone with an impressionable mind. I don't know how I became the person I am.. but sometimes I think that the 'ignorance would be bliss' type thing is true. So in that case, I wouldnt want to take ignorance away from a child if it truly is the easiest way to go. The book may be targetted to kids, but I think it is probably best for an adult to read it ! I'll have to keep tabs on my friend's dad.. to see if he mentions it/reads it.

Get people to read 'Fast Food Nation' - that was enough to get me and many others I know to start thinking about where our meat comes from...that in turn is a stepping stone to greater enquiry and responsibility.

my old t-shirt from the hari krishnas got worn out so I had the image done as a tattoo on upper arm: man slaughtering bull but the faces are switched. that gets a few conversations....'what does it mean?' 'what goes around, comes around'....

I might have gotten the 'crucified mouse' as a tat but at the time I was in Germany and it was a banned image... religiously offensive!

I'm quite pleased with myself actually. I've gotten my sister to convert just by digging up info and videos on things like how chicken nuggets are made, what cows milk is like before it hits the store shelves, animals being unfairly kept and slaughtered, etc. Maybe it's a bit extreme, but showing people the worst of what they consume might be a good tactic.

that's great odinsfury is your sister going to join the forum?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote pat sommer View Post
    my old t-shirt from the hari krishnas got worn out so I had the image done as a tattoo on upper arm: man slaughtering bull but the faces are switched. that gets a few conversations....'what does it mean?' 'what goes around, comes around'....

I might have gotten the 'crucified mouse' as a tat but at the time I was in Germany and it was a banned image... religiously offensive!

I Really want to see your tattoo!

Quote DancingWillow View Post
    that's great odinsfury is your sister going to join the forum?
    Maybe after she's done watching every single episode of Xena Warrior Princess... I don't know what's wrong with her... I tried to be there for her.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.

okay, Haniska, meet ya in the sauna after a good swim...
    failing that have a look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8191656@N03/

There's a bot for MSN, and you can chat with it. Well, it simply functions as a search feature and it collects your info to sell. I kept on asking it questions about veganism...like non stop...telling it to go vegan, bringing up reasons to go vegan, etc. Lame, I know, but it was fun!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks Pat. Totally awesome

pathologist

My husband was in a monastry for many years. he left because he no longer felt it was right for him but he still has lots of friends there. recently we went there to try to convert the monks to veganism. We cooked several meals for people - they all enjoyed them immensely and they saw we had several good points - Idon't think that they'll convert just yet but one never knows about the future. I think that ideas do just grow gradually - for example - Fair Trade was quite a tiny niche market 10 years ago but now even M&S are doing some things (but obviously there's a long way to go!). I think that we all have to gradually just put the idea of why veganism is a good thing into people's minds gradually and eventually more people will see it is the best thing one can do for the planet for the animals and for one's own health! I'm sure the just leaving the flyers around idea is excellent -

...not only do you put it in their minds, Mjnewbould, but in their mouths as well...bravo!

Every time I go to eat at our favorite vegan restaurant...I grab a couple of starter kits from PETA. When I am at a mall (food court), or someplace where people stop and sit...I put one of the mags on the table for somebody to read. I also ask to put one in the waiting room at hospitals/doctor's offices. The receptionists usually don't mind.

At work, I always take my VegNews magazine and leave it in the break area. I catch others reading it periodically, and sometimes they have questions which start interesting conversations.