Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crafty ways to end ignorance

Default Re: Crafty ways to end ignorance

Quote _placebo View Post
    There are so many good ideas floating around here. Thanks! I try to cook a lot for others because so many people have a very stubborn tofu-lettuce-leaf stereotyped mentality about veganism and when they eat a vegan cupcake, for example, it really seems to enlighten them. The person who most contributed to my "conversion" to veganism always seemed to have fun with it, and that's what intrigued me.
    I do this as well! Also...I have taken some friends and/or co-workers out to eat at our local vegan restaurant just so they can see there are other meals besides zucchini and tofu (as one of my friends thought). In fact...on Monday I am planning on taking some brownies to work!

I like slapping stickers everywhere, and writing on public loos, heh
    I also have blogs on my myspace page and often forward things to people via email, but I found that you often get bad responses from graphic photos, people don't take to well to being proven wrong so abruptly.

When people come round my house, there are often leaflets and things laying around that people look at, I often see facing screwed up in disgust, so hopefully it's sinking it!

I take much pride in wearing my tshirts too

I use humour a lot, particularly when people make comments to me. I don't like to get into big debates with people ... unless they are picking a fight with me of course!

Recently I had a cold and quite a few people said "what you need is some red meat inside you". My response was "No thanks, the cold is bad enough, I don't want to contract mad cows disease as well". Even though I was just making a joke, I think it does still make people think.

When I lived at home with my meat-eating family, I would forever find joints of red meat defrosting in the kitchen! I always used to ask my Mum is I could take it into the garden and give it a proper burial ;o)

Where's a good place to buy leaflets in bulk? I was thinking of walking round my neighbourhood putting leaflets in doors. A bit like a paper round!

cobweb

^ Viva, Animal Aid, Vegan Society all do bulk leaflets on various different topics .

nice humour, Linxie!
    I commented to my daughter well within earshot of other patrons: "rumpsteak aged 21 days; that cow has been dead longer than grandma." ...sad, but true.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I find that the best way to promote veganism is to:
    1) not talk about the animals -- everyone knows about it and just gets annoyed. Think of feminism and the negative connotation that it has recieved despite some awesome ideals; I don't want to do that to veganism
    2) have parties where the food is vegan -- but don't make a big deal about it. People then realize that vegan food tastes good -- and the best way to anybody's heart is through their stomache!
    3) When people ask me why I became vegan, which they always end up doing since I won't bring it up, is I be honest with them, and don't hate on them for their eating choices (if they are omni). The last thing you want is defensiveness, or to make them feel inadequate, which will only distance them from veganism.
    A lot of the time, I feel that people are repelled by veganism because of the big deal everyone makes of it. It makes it more scary to transition since it seems like such a big deal -- when really our life should only change in diet and some ways of thinking. I show people that I have an average, yet more than satisfying life, and veganism is a part of it -- though not wholly responsible. Through this, a lot of people have come to me with questions and their doubts/fears about veganism. I help to alleviate them and don't push them into anything they're not ready for since I know that if they do it out of guilt, it will last less long than if they came to develop a good reason to abstain from meat/dairy/eggs and a way of eating and living comfortably. It's all about showing them the possibilities, and not having anger with them for only being able to see the limitations.
    It is sort of how confidence is attractive -- not over confidence. You want to love veganism, but not be an overzealous smothering idiot.

This is always such a difficult situation. I agree that the militant standpoint is a great way to alienate or anger people and rarely has any positive effect.

Within my own group of friends and family, I try to cook a lot. Everyone already knows that I'm vegan, but sitting them down for a delicious meal provides a great opportunity to talk to them about the food, where it came from, what ISNT in it, and what vegan products I might have used to create the meal. ("I'm glad you liked the mashed potatoes. I used soymilk and Earth Balance butter, which is vegan. You should try it!", etc.)

Quote danaeonyx View Post
    Where's a good place to buy leaflets in bulk? I was thinking of walking round my neighbourhood putting leaflets in doors. A bit like a paper round!
    Maybe it is best to put stickers where a lot of people can see them because it is less wastage, more people may see them and it will save time. Example of what to put: "In commercial honeyproduction, bees are subjected to procedures similar to those of factory farming". Also "Cows produce milk to feed their young so isn't it unnatural for us". Also "meat intensive diets contribute to global warming, deforestation, desertification, water pollution and the malnourishment of people". That way you have covered the environment, health and animal cruelty.

You could give them to companies who are advertised on leaflets put through your home door. Another point: Junk mail put through your box, deliver to the companies advertised. I might of done that a few times. Perhaps even contact companies, explaining you received a leaflet, and advertise veganism. I handed papers to people straight after I got them posted through my door. If enough people posted unwanted leaflets back to companies, then maybe we won't get as much junk mail

Quote Abby View Post
    If enough people posted unwanted leaflets back to companies, then maybe we won't get as much junk mail
    Yes, though in the UK sadly it depends what the junk mail is. Any leaflets, magazine types, or polythene wrapped stuff that's blatant junk, the Post Office send straight to landfill and don't bother to return to sender as marked!

To avoid sending it to landfill, and get it back to the company to get the message drip by drip, take out any envelope provided for "orders" and use that wherever possible.

Not stick them in a post box, but the companies' box if you happen to be walking near there.

ah, I see

Date a meat eater, make them fall in love with you, turn 'em vegan then move on to the next one :P

LOL great idea!!!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote Abby View Post
    Date a meat eater, make them fall in love with you, turn 'em vegan then move on to the next one :P
    Great idea Abby, I'm actually halfway there at the moment, although he's irritating me so much right now, I might just skip to the "move on to the next one" part. (Only joking - he will be vegan someday!)

By the way, I haven't managed to do that!

good ideas people! does anyone know where you can buy good stickers in bulk? some organisations sell them individually, but it would be good to get a sheet or more of small stickers to put up everywhere...

exec

I have an idea of making a box sat on the backseat of my bicycle. I am thinking of designing the box to contain different categories of information in the forms of leaflets. Then I'll put some bright words on the outside of the box to attract people to come and take a look at it, and then take those leaflets. I'm currently starting to do that.

desmond jones

seeing such dedication fills me with the happiness i felt when i first joined these boards.
    i still remember what i thought:
    "finally, a peta2 without the unintelligent and useless posts, and absent of the hypocrasy."

but what i always thought was the best way to get the word out without having to do much is to do publicly noticeable things, like putting up posters, talking to people personally and loudly, and drawing banners or graphic images on sidewalks with chalk.

I'm thinking of painting my bike and having ' Veg-powered ^ ' on the crossbar with an arrow pointing up to me ... so when I'm overtaking omni's they'll see it..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I covered a badge and put the words "Go vegan" on it. I suggest attaching thread to the badge and the bag or whatever to help it to stay on. I've been wearing my t-shirt on the street I got recently. I got stopped by a vegan I guess by what he said. He was on about a demo, etc. Maybe I'll get a Meat eater asking questions. If I look so healthy when I'm wearing one, then maybe that will be encouraging to others!

Should be "vegan powered" shown as big as possible!

journey

Where can I get free good brief pamphlets encouraging veganism, in America (British Vegan Society has some great ones, but it's not cost effective to send to me because of the shipping cost to them)? Especially I'm looking for something that does not show the gore - sometimes that's effective, but a lot of times it turns people off from reading it - I've seen some like the Brit Vegan Society that mention the cruelty but without being quite so graphic, which would work better for places I want to leaflet.

I'm concerned with leaflets getting thrown away and therefore wasting money/resources, so I usually don't leave them in picnic grounds at picnic tables like I used to, but going to start putting them on the free lit rack at the grocery stores - then people can take them if they want them, but not so likely to just get thrown out.

As well as getting leaflets, maybe write big phrases on the back of old envelopes and cut them up. It is likely to grab peoples attention with big writing, and keep their attention, although leaflets may help. Perhaps instead of handing them out when people don't want them and they are thrown to the ground, stick them on walls of rehearsal studios, supermarkets, etc.

People could make more effort wearing jumpers and t-shirts to promote. I have worn a t-shirt loads lately. If people see several people wandering around with them, maybe that would be encouraging. Example: imagine you seeing a word around a lot, then you start wondering what it is about. Then you look on The Internet after seeing it around a lot. You find out it is a band. You then listen to the music. Um... it will be cold soon, so maybe I'll have to get a "Go Vegan" jumper!

Leave a website open when finishing on the Internet in libraries. Start a new session so it stays on for longer

i email people. i post on other forums...i do talk about the animals when i do these things.many people do not know of the worst cruelty.
    i have my vege boots which i wear everywhere, and make sure the tag saying vegetarian shoes' is visible all the time.
    me and husband put AR messages and pictures, links onto msn messenger profiles. he put the link to the dog being skinned alive on his msn and colleagues watched it and were appalled, i thought that was a great thing to do.

also t shirts, 'meat is murder' is a good t shirt i have. remeber on the train a young boy reading it and his father looking annoyed. i think t shirts are great. kids get to see them and kids are open to caring for animals a lot more than most adults.

Pay someone to be vegan or say "I bet you couldn't be vegan" in which case they will turn vegan. Well I suppose these are highly likely not to happen

You could always mention who companies support if people don't care about animals. I've heard about McDonalds and the IRA for example.

I guess I've posted loads in this thread!

songlife

Quote Zorillo View Post
    Pay someone to be vegan or say "I bet you couldn't be vegan" in which case they will turn vegan. Well I suppose these are highly likely not to happen
    Actually that's not true, I keep hearning about random people who went vegan because of a dare, thought it would only last a week and then liked it so much that they ended up being vegan permanently.

Yes and I think I'm going to make a "meat is murder" hoodie, and maybe with the acronym of an AR group on the back.

Cool!

Quote chickendude View Post
    I volunteered at PETA a few months ago and they had these HUGE walls filled with various stickers.
    Hi,
    Next summer 2009 I have to do an internship for 4 or 6 months and I was thinking about some organizations like PETA. If it's not too much asking, can you give me your opinion, references from your experience there?
    Thanks,
    Marc

I have volunteered at Peta uk also... was OK, I LOVE the work Peta does and i am a huge fan. but as a volunteer i was pretty bored. stuffing envelopes mostly is what i got to do. Maybe if i was there more hours and more regular they wouldve given me more interesting work? probably.

I saw the stickers too but i didnt grab any!! I wish I had!

I beleive they have internships in the USA, maybe that would be really good to do, I know of at least one staff member at Peta uk who did one of those and then she was working at the UK office. I am not sure how many interns get jobs afterwards.

About crafty ways to end ignornance. I am going to more and more demonstrations and protests and i love it. It is great and feels productive. Though so far have had bad experience at one regular demo with the police trying to stomp out free speech.

PS: Has anyone else seen that clip on you tube, with Bob Barker endorsing the ALF?

Quote ClawsyWP View Post
    I have volunteered at Peta uk also... was OK, I LOVE the work Peta does and i am a huge fan. but as a volunteer i was pretty bored. stuffing envelopes mostly is what i got to do. Maybe if i was there more hours and more regular they wouldve given me more interesting work? probably.

I saw the stickers too but i didnt grab any!! I wish I had!

I beleive they have internships in the USA, maybe that would be really good to do, I know of at least one staff member at Peta uk who did one of those and then she was working at the UK office. I am not sure how many interns get jobs afterwards.

About crafty ways to end ignornance. I am going to more and more demonstrations and protests and i love it. It is great and feels productive. Though so far have had bad experience at one regular demo with the police trying to stomp out free speech.

PS: Has anyone else seen that clip on you tube, with Bob Barker endorsing the ALF?
    Thanks for the info.
    Did you worked with foreigners there? because I'm Spanish so I'm not an english speaker even though my level is not that bad. I lived in Canada for one year. Is there any change to work there for PETA or any other similar organization? If anyone knows, please let me know.

WildWitch

I once went to a vegan food fayre with my two kids. My daughter is a crazy animal lover, i mean really crazy about animals. She picked up some leaflets showing cows in a dairy farm being treated cruely, chickens in an overcrowded factory farm, a photo of a dead piglet injured from overcrowding in the pens and a few stickers she picked up (she was about 7 at the time). She took loads into school, to be honest id forgoten they were in her bag, at lunchtime she decided to hand them out to the other children on her table. A dinner lady got upset by the picture of the dead pig and reported it to the teachers. Head teacher called me into the office and said any poilitical extremists will be excluded from the school and if ever she was found to have any propoganda like that on her person in the school again we would both be banned from the premisis.

This is from a head teacher who preaches christianity constantly (even when i have my children removed from collective worship she gets them singing jesus songs in the choir and tells them off for not saying their prayers). This is also a head teacher who allows MacDonalds happy meals to be raffled as the top prize in the summer fete (i went mad and told her i wouldnt be taking part in her raffle due to the ethics of the prize she had chosen), this is also the headteacher who allows a stretch limo to park on the school playground with its engins reving and exhaust pumping out co2 fumes all over our children as they play, again a raffle prize i had a right go at her about that one too, specialy as the school is supposed to be a green flag school.

She wasnt happy with me when i reported her to the people who hand out the green flag awards

Thankfully she cant stop my daughter talking about her feelings about animal rights (shes nearly 10 now and feels very strong about it) and lets her feelings be known to all. She cant stop her wearing her animal aid hat either

Quote WildWitch View Post
    I once went to a vegan food fayre with my two kids. My daughter is a crazy animal lover, i mean really crazy about animals. She picked up some leaflets showing cows in a dairy farm being treated cruely, chickens in an overcrowded factory farm, a photo of a dead piglet injured from overcrowding in the pens and a few stickers she picked up (she was about 7 at the time). She took loads into school, to be honest id forgoten they were in her bag, at lunchtime she decided to hand them out to the other children on her table. A dinner lady got upset by the picture of the dead pig and reported it to the teachers. Head teacher called me into the office and said any poilitical extremists will be excluded from the school and if ever she was found to have any propoganda like that on her person in the school again we would both be banned from the premisis.

This is from a head teacher who preaches christianity constantly (even when i have my children removed from collective worship she gets them singing jesus songs in the choir and tells them off for not saying their prayers). This is also a head teacher who allows MacDonalds happy meals to be raffled as the top prize in the summer fete (i went mad and told her i wouldnt be taking part in her raffle due to the ethics of the prize she had chosen), this is also the headteacher who allows a stretch limo to park on the school playground with its engins reving and exhaust pumping out co2 fumes all over our children as they play, again a raffle prize i had a right go at her about that one too, specialy as the school is supposed to be a green flag school.

She wasnt happy with me when i reported her to the people who hand out the green flag awards

Thankfully she cant stop my daughter talking about her feelings about animal rights (shes nearly 10 now and feels very strong about it) and lets her feelings be known to all. She cant stop her wearing her animal aid hat either
    Nice story!
    All the luck for your daughter!

WildWitch

Shes beautiful my little girl, since the age of about 5 she has talked about her ambition of opening an animal sanctuary/rescue centre and shes still on about it now.

I can see her working in some way with animals when shes older, she just loves them. She will walk along the road rescuing worms that have wondered onto the path or moving slugs so they dont get trodden on. She was in tears the other day cause a toad was heading for the main road. I had to step in and pick him up stopping traffic to do so, toad safely placed on some grass away from the road.

Takes us ages to walk to school during the better weather, she has to stop and fuss all the cats in the neighbourhood, they know her so well they come to her for fuss, shes totaly nuts about animals and been veggie since birth. Shes brilliant and im really proud of her.

Quote WildWitch View Post
    Shes beautiful my little girl, since the age of about 5 she has talked about her ambition of opening an animal sanctuary/rescue centre and shes still on about it now.

I can see her working in some way with animals when shes older, she just loves them. She will walk along the road rescuing worms that have wondered onto the path or moving slugs so they dont get trodden on. She was in tears the other day cause a toad was heading for the main road. I had to step in and pick him up stopping traffic to do so, toad safely placed on some grass away from the road.

Takes us ages to walk to school during the better weather, she has to stop and fuss all the cats in the neighbourhood, they know her so well they come to her for fuss, shes totaly nuts about animals and been veggie since birth. Shes brilliant and im really proud of her.
    If one day I have a daughter or son I hope they will be so kind and ambitious!
    One thing is for sure; I'll try to make them understand the importance of being kind to animals, and I hope they'll make the right choice and become vegan.

Quote Encrypted View Post
    Hi,
    Next summer 2009 I have to do an internship for 4 or 6 months and I was thinking about some organizations like PETA. If it's not too much asking, can you give me your opinion, references from your experience there?
    Thanks,
    Marc
    My girlfriend did an intership with PETA Asia/Pacific in the spring. She learned a lot and came back with so many new and interesting ideas for our AR group here.

They really threw her in the "deep end". As she speaks Chinese, she was asked to do some research on Chinese celebrities and do some translating also. She was even involved in a dog rescue from a filthy dog pound in one of the cities.

She was also able to do some investigative work and took pictures of animal breeding places in different cities.

Anyway - she found the whole experience to be extremely valuable.

WildWitch

If one day I have a daughter or son I hope they will be so kind and ambitious!
    One thing is for sure; I'll try to make them understand the importance of being kind to animals, and I hope they'll make the right choice and become vegan.

Thank you. I have a son too, hes 13, also veggie from birth, loves animals too. He is an amazing cook, he has been talking about being a cheif for a while, he has mentioned opening a vegan and veggie resturant when hes older. His food tech teacher is brilliant and totaly supports his veggie principles, gets him to talk to the rest of the class often about alternatives to meat, reasons why hes veggie and why his mum (me) is vegan.

He did once ask me if he could try meat. He had a meat burger at his friends and said it was ok. I didnt want to make a fuss, you know kids, they will rebel but deep down i was so hurt that he decided to try meat.

Back in the summer i took him to a gig. Before the music started we sat on the grass having some food and drinks, there was an organic burger stall doing vegan, veggie and meat burgers. I let him make the choice, he went for the veggie/vegan burger then told me, it tasted better than the meat one anyday, that led to a discussion about how we dont need meat and how it wasnt worth an animals life as good tastly food was much better without the killing and suffering of animals. After that he went back to being veggie (thank the lord and lady). When he cooks cakes in food tech, he takes egg replacement and soya milk so his mum can try some, his teacher thinks its brilliant. I dont usualy get chance to taste the cakes though as he usualy eats em on the way home from school Still the thoughts there i guess.

I feel him talking to the class about being veggie is all positive to spreading the veggie/vegan word i guess, its great that his teacher, even though an omni shows such interest and asks him lots of questions about it. Maybe he will convert her one day.

Use your kids as a crafty way to end ignorance lol.

Thanks for the info.
    Did you worked with foreigners there? because I'm Spanish so I'm not an english speaker even though my level is not that bad. I lived in Canada for one year. Is there any change to work there for PETA or any other similar organization? If anyone knows, please let me know.
    i´ve been volunteering at PETA UK since july. i´m not a native english speaker, too, and there was a volunteer in summer from spain for a few weeks. therefore i wouldn´t say they have a problem with the fact given u´re not english or something. just ask them, fill out the online form and u´ll see!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

WildWitch, your kids sound great, you must be really proud of them (and I don't often say stuff like that as I'm not much of a kid person). It's great they're so confident about sharing their vegetarian beliefs at school, it can be hard to be different at school but it sounds like they're doing fine.

Quote Roxy View Post
    My girlfriend did an intership with PETA Asia/Pacific in the spring. She learned a lot and came back with so many new and interesting ideas for our AR group here.

They really threw her in the "deep end". As she speaks Chinese, she was asked to do some research on Chinese celebrities and do some translating also. She was even involved in a dog rescue from a filthy dog pound in one of the cities.

She was also able to do some investigative work and took pictures of animal breeding places in different cities.

Anyway - she found the whole experience to be extremely valuable.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I would like to know if it's possible to apply for an internship in Asia/Pacific as your girlfriend. I've already been a few times to China and I'm studying Chinese so I really would like to go back. The thing is my Chinese is still very poor but I speak some other languages.

How did she do to apply for this job?
    Thanks again!
    Marc

WildWitch

Quote derwenna View Post
    WildWitch, your kids sound great, you must be really proud of them (and I don't often say stuff like that as I'm not much of a kid person). It's great they're so confident about sharing their vegetarian beliefs at school, it can be hard to be different at school but it sounds like they're doing fine.
    Thanks, i know what you mean by not being a kid person, i never was either. But i think my two are ok most of the time lol.

I was veggie at school, that was a long time ago. I feel veggies are more accepted in schools these days, menus seem to cater well for them in secondary school, not so in juniors though - or at least not in Wales anyway.

I remember arguing with the dinner ladies when i was at school as they always found it so wierd that a kid refused to have meat on their plate. As far as i knew i was the only veggie in the school at the time, there were a few muslim children who didnt have meat as it wasnt halal but no veggies as such.