Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Is soya bad for our health - and do we actually need soya?

Default Do I need soya?

Hello,

I'm currently eating a vegetarian diet but I want to attempt to move over to vegan. However I won't/can't eat soya in any form.

What I'm looking for is any pointers towards good cookbooks, recipes and any nutritional information you could supply. If I'm not eating soya in a vegan diet will I be missing out on any important nutrients?

Linda

Default Re: Soya?

Hi Linda,
    you don't need soya at all. Most recipes and cookbooks I've seen barely use soya beans, soy oil can be replaced with any other oil you want, and soy sauce (tamari) isn't something you need, it's just something that's commonly used in Asian food...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Could you suggest a cookbook that is low in soya ingredients? I have been looking for one but I've found the ones I have access to at my local Waterstones have loads of soya recipes.

Heidi1969

This is a problem I'm having. I've been vegetarian for 23 years and mostly vegan for over 10. However recently I have become intolerant/allergic to MANY foods:
    -Tofu
    -Soy products (milk, cheese, burgers, etc)
    -Oatmeal
    -shhh... dairy (if I'm not vigilant in checking ingredients, I'll know that I ate something with dairy in it by the horrible cramps and runs I get shortly after)
    -oranges, some fruits and veggies
    And miscellanious other things, but the most distressing ones are the tofu and soy milk ...and oatmeal... I love oatmeal!

BUT what the heck am supposed to do without TOFU and SOY MILK?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I've switched to Rice Dream milk, which has virtually NO protein!

But I've never heard of rice cheese, rice yogurt, rice burgers, rice tofu, rice eggs, rice protein powder, ...rice miracles...

Aside from beans and lentils, is there any YUMMY protein source??

Wow that's pretty limited!
    You might have already tried it, I know it's still soy but it's made differently from tofu so may not have the same effects?

Also there is hemp milk if you don't want to drink rice milk.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07123/782900-34.stm & http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...-of-hemp-milk/
    and goo links.

Hi Heidi, many vegans never use soya. For loads of vegan protein sources, look here: What are your favourite vegan protein sources?

Linda, I normally don't use cookbooks, but what are the soy ingredients you are thinking of? And why is it that you see them everywhere and I hardly see them?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Haha I don't know! I'm not even officially vegan yet just a wee veggie! It's just most vegetarian and vegan books I've seen do tend to, I'm not saying theres not ones out there who don't. Tempeh, Tofu, the dired protine stuff that is derived from soy and the rest of them

I'm browsing through the recipe section to try and find a suitable one.

Hi Linda - have you seen Rose Elliott's "Vegan Feasts"? From memory, I don't think that one makes much use of soya ingredients though I think there is the odd one with tofu. I would check before you buy it in case I'm mis-remembering! You can preview it a bit here
    http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Feasts-R...72254006X#noop

It does seem to be true that recipe books often rely on soya ingredients, but a lot of us vegans don't use them that often. You can adapt recipes to some extent, e.g. you can use rice milk or water when a recipe says soy milk.

Not real name!

Default Interesting article about soya. Explains why it isn't bad for you.

Default Re: Interesting article about soya. Explains why it isn't bad for you.

Another of the organisation's supporters is a man called Dr Stephen Byrnes, who published an article in the Ecologist magazine claiming that vegetarianism is unhealthy and is destroying the environment. He boasted of his high animal fat diet and robust health – and, unfortunately, died of a stroke at 42
    Interesting

The comments under the article are fun haha
    i wish it was raining

Quote convectuoso View Post
    The comments under the article are fun haha
    The Guardian message boards are the one thing that makes my life worth living

Default Soy and Acne

Hi

I've been vegetarian since I was 13 and went Vegan a year and a half ago when I was a vegetarian I had terrible skin and acne problems and nothing worked to clear it up. I went vegan and it significantly improved but never completely cleared and I was still breaking out. I gave up soy because I heard it made menstrual pain worse and I had vomit inducing menstrual cramps. It didn't help but I noticed my skin almost completely cleared up within a week of giving up soy. I went back to eating soy after my period coz I was still in agony and assumed my experiment failed and then my spots came back and I was breaking out again. I decided to give up soy again and see if my acne went away a second time and it has! Its almost completely gone and after years of trying everything my skin looks almost normal and the red patches under the skin have gone and I can see my actual skin tone.

This must mean I'm allergic to soy right? I'm so upset I love soy ice cream and soy burgers and now I just don't enjoy food because my diet is even more restricted.

Vegans allergic to soy is just crazy inconvenient. urgh.

I'm so shocked that it was soy that was causing my acne all these years.

Did anyone else find this? and also are there any health experts on here who can comment.

Thanks Rachel xxx
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 17th, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    Now i'm glowing like a sunset in the window of my dreams...That turned to real life, I'll never forget when for the first time a girl in a fantasy turned to real life.

leedsveg

Default Re: Is soya bad for our health - and do we actually need soya?

Sorry Rachel, that I'm not a health expert to be able to give you the info you want.

I hope though that you really have sorted out the source of your skin problem, even if it was 'accidentally'.

And, of course, welcome to the forum!

Leedsveg

Hello Rachel,

Welcome to the forum!

Well I think it's amazing that you found out you seem to be reacting to soya. It's often really difficult to find out about your food sensitivity. It's often not very straightforward. I don't have any advice for you unfortunately, but it's nice to have you here!

Hi Rachel - I'm not an expert either, but perhaps you could try and see if you can handle moderate amounts of soy: some people react badly to large amounts of a food but not to small ones.

Having said that quite a lot of vegans do avoid it. I think you will find alternative versions of the things you like given time - for example there is ice cream based on cashew nuts (and other stuff), and you could try making burgers with nuts (or using large grilled mushrooms!) instead of the soyburgers.

thanks guys. Yea I'm going to start making my own vegan burgers with hemp, lentils, nuts etc... which is prob more nutritious anyway.
    Now i'm glowing like a sunset in the window of my dreams...That turned to real life, I'll never forget when for the first time a girl in a fantasy turned to real life.

Hi rachel, sorry to hear about your soya allergy but glad your acne has cleared up! Ice cream can be made with coconut milk, and some people say frozen blended bananas works well though I haven't tried it myself. Redwoods do a soya-free range including a soya free cheezly and soya free chicken- style pieces. Some people who are allergic to other forms of soya can still handle tofu for some reason.

I found an interesting article about soy from a different perspective:

http://gentleworld.org/as-we-soy-so-shall-we-reap/

As someone who has struggled with thyroid problems for the last twenty four years, I do need to limit my soy intake and also pay close attention to other foods that interfere with absorption of my thyroid meds (high calcium foods, cruciferous veggies etc). I find that as a vegan it is very easy for me to limit or avoid my soy intake as needed. I like that the article busts the myth that vegans consume a diet heavy in soy. Many of us do not consume soy or do so in small limited quantities while paying attention to where it is coming from, while many omnivores unknowingly consume much more of it than they might think.

Red face Re: Is soy bad for your health?

Quote treehugga View Post
    I'm not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it.

The other day a retailer selling protein products informed me that soy products including milk were very bad for your health, in fact he described them as poison! The only exceptions were tempe and a few brands of tofu.

He said soy has only been used in small amounts in Asian countries, not to the extend we use it eg on a daily basis. He quoted a scientific research article, but I have forgotten the title.

Another frightening fact, was that he said soy companies are owned by the dairy industry.

Can someone clarify this as it is quite alarming if it is true?
    I found this study particularly helpful and trustworthy. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...micals/soyiso/

for those in the UK, Vegusto cheeze products are soy free, they are made from coconut oil and nut butters instead. Also Kara coconut milk is good in tea and doesn't curdle in coffee, like soya milk can!
    when everything changes...change everything