Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is soya bad for our health - and do we actually need soya?

Default Re: Soya

Quote Glen
    Okay, so moving on slightly, how often do you guys eat tofu / soya a week? And do you use soya milk every day?

Glen
    Hi Glen, and welcome! There are many vegans who never use soya milk or use any other soy products. You don't need to eat soya even if you drop animal products!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Cryospark

Default Re: Is soya bad for your health?

hehe the guy must of found his docotorette in a rice crispy box, propoganda he speaks of haha, the jackass gives himself near nil counter points. Every food he spoke of as sacred grains have very large benefits, possibly why they were sacred, the only interest in the article is that it says soy reduces thyroid function, i suffer from hyperthyroidism, this does nothing but encourage me to have more soy. He only managed to talk about american soy I believe modified to all hell and messed up completely useless, heh doctors....
    poor idiot, cancers may be caused by soy..........
    soy contains phytoestrogens i think that's how its spelled, these disallow cancer from attatching itself to your cells, cause cancer indeed......

people are scared by the term phytoestrogens because it sounds like hormones that shouldnt be messed with sadly these ppl are uneducated

bjorn again veg

Default Soy warnings

Hi all,

I am a little worried about the phytoestrogens in soy after following some of the links & reading about soy on this site: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/Phytos.htm
    & other sites.

Now I am sure the meat industry would happily lie through their teeth to us. I wonder if the soy industry would be any different - it seems money not health is the main concern for nearly all business in our times.

I was particularly intrigued by some of the comments from people swapping to soy & the health problems associated with this.

Anyway, any comments or advise on this topic would be welcomed...

FR

Default Re: Soy warnings

You can find quite a few posts here dealing with that. Plant estrogens are different than human estrogen. They do not make men feminine.

This has been discussed fully, and just remember that people in the far east have been enjoying soy since well before the US and Australia were 'discovered'!
    Eve

I think that that there are people who are allergic to soy products

I think that some soy products that contain soya isolate are to avoided or at least reduced.

latest research shows that too much protein is a significant health problem

and lastly thatweb site which I have come accross before is not to be used as an information source as it is clearly biased. There seems to be not one balanced view point on it. It is, I would suspect, paid for by the dairy industry or someone with an axe to grind. One tell tail sign is that it seems to have no owner or contact details, it is designed to scare.

We do not need to replace meat or dairy they are both additions that are not required. Soy should be consumed in a balanced way. If your not allergic andif you are not consuming products that have been chemically altered (like isolates) then I think its a useful component of a balanced diet.

If you are concerned you should look into it further

As FR says you'll find some posts here dealing with the issue

here's a good place to start:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382

Antony beansprout

I have just come across this article on the BBC world service that advocates the benefits of soy in terms of reducing cancer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4285910.stm

No doubt in a few weeks time a new study will emerge that portrays soy consumption as damaging to your health. The problem with modern science is that it only examines health related issues on an issue-by-issue basis without examining the nutritional impact of soy from a more holistic perspective. The myriad of studies that both advocate and rebuff soy must be very confusing to a lot of people.

So the jury is still out with regard to the health implications of consuming unfermented soy. To be on the safe side I have reduced my tofu intake to once a week and soymilk on cereal twice a week (oat milk the rest of the time). I do however have miso soup regularly and tempeh at least twice a week as I am convinced that these are extremely healthy sources of soy protein.

I also strongly recommend that you purchase a soymilk that is free of vegetable oil such as bonsoi (www.spiralfoods.com). It is pricier but if you drink less soymilk it is works out to be affordable. It goes without saying that we should use organically sourced soy as many soy plants are heavily sprayed or GM (or both).

My biggest concern is that the soy controversy is putting people off becoming vegan. As you all know, there are so many fine sources of protein available to us. It just means that we should encourage people to challenge their conditioning and embrace foods such as quinoa, and nut butters etc as well as the more commonly known sources such as pulses and beans. In terms of mock meat, I find that seitan is by far the healthiest and tastiest way to go.

That’s my rant over!

What Bonsoy...

MMMMMmmmmmm my favourite
    I want some now

antony, you say that you think some soy products containing soya isolate are to avoided or at least reduced.

I agree wholeheartedly - there are too many soymilks out there, such as 'So Good' by Sanitarium, plus all their faux meats and bacons etc, that are made using soy isolates. There's no way in the world that I'd consume any of that stuff. The soymilk I use is made from organically grown Australian whole soybeans, and I can do without the faux stuff. I do take some tofu but only that made with organic soybeans etc, same applies to tempeh. There is no avoiding the fact that we must check ingredients listings on whatever we buy.
    Eve

Quote eve
    antony, you say that you think some soy products containing soya isolate are to avoided or at least reduced.

I agree wholeheartedly - there are too many soymilks out there, such as 'So Good' by Sanitarium, plus all their faux meats and bacons etc, that are made using soy isolates. There's no way in the world that I'd consume any of that stuff. The soymilk I use is made from organically grown Australian whole soybeans, and I can do without the faux stuff. I do take some tofu but only that made with organic soybeans etc, same applies to tempeh. There is no avoiding the fact that we must check ingredients listings on whatever we buy.
    Hi Eve

there have been a few reports lately about Faux meat (I call them meat analogs) sometimes being labled as containing no animal products, but because they come from countries where there is no real requirement of disclosure of this kind of thing they can contain who the bleep knows what.

I read recently that the chinese govt are cracking down on this as they fear it will affect exports.

Antny

yes I read that too, but it still pays to read the ingredients listing because even if it says there are no animal products, soy items have to reveal if made from soy beans or soy isolate. Nevertheless, like any other food, moderation is the watchword.
    Eve

Please excuse my ignorance, but are soy and soya the same thing?

Quote peaches22
    Please excuse my ignorance, but are soy and soya the same thing?
    See here p.

I don't agree with everything in this site (they argue for some meat and dairy), but they list soybeans/tofu/tempeh as some of the healthiest stuff around! Take a look if ya want:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=79
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=111
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=126
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanks, gertvegan.

Default Re: New Veggie

what reports have you heard about soy milk

there are couple of naught web sites that are advertising that it's bad for you (probably sponsored by the dairy industry) I know that the latest studies (the china study being one) has found that too much protein is bad for you. Sota Isolate, which many soy products are made of isn't very good for you. But having been through all that a moderate amount of soy is good for you.

antony bean

Gliondrach

Default Re: hello

Hello, Phil. Welcome. Soya is more likely to protect you against certain cancers. Japanese and Chinese women, eating traditional diets, suffer a lower incidence of breast cancer. Of course, there could be other factors involved but the soya does them no harm.

There does seem to be some conflicting evidence. One study found that low concentrations of soya phytoestrogens stimulated breast tumour growth and interfered with the effects of tamoxifen. This was conducted in vitro and also in animal studies. Large concentrations of the soya phytoestrogens were found to behave in the opposite way - inhibiting tumour growth and increasing the effects of tamoxifen. This latter finding was only done in vitro.

Of course, animal models and also in vitro are not the same as living humans.

The conclusion was that women who have breast cancer, or have had it, should be made aware of the possible risk to them of using soya products.

A study was conducted in Singapore, ten years earlier, in 1991, using 200 women with breast cancer and more than twice that number without breast cancer. Their findings were that soya had a protective influence in women of premenopausal age.

And then there were the studies done on rats and hamsters. Raw soya fed to them caused the development of pancreatic cancer cells in the rats but not in the hamsters. Both types of animals had been treated to make them more suseptible to pancreatic cancer.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Or you could try other milks if you're worried.

Regards,

Martin.

www.doctorsaredangerous.com
    could be biased but interesting read
    "Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows" - Nietzsche :rolleyes:

Gliondrach

Phil, see my reply to your introduction post. Furthermore:

There have been reports of soya causing thyroid problems. For thyroid cancer, at least, there is evidence gleaned from studies, that phytoestrogens in soya have a protective effect against thyroid cancer.

For breast cancer, a studywas conducted, involving over 3,000 women, about half of whom had breast cancer. These women were all non-Asian. Most previous studies had been conducted on Asian women, due to their high soya consumption. The findings were that phytoestrogens, not just soya, but phytoestrogens in general, had little effect on breast cancer risk at the levels normally consumed by non-Asian women.

Yet another study found a reduced risk of endometrial cancer in non-Asian women who had phytoestrogens in their diet. Again, this was based on the amounts of phytoestrogens normally consumed in the Western diet.

Another study, using high intakes of soya milk - 36 ounces a day, which is nearly two pints - found that there was a reduced level of ovarian hormones during the study. This could explain the protective influence of soya in breast cancer.

It's interesting that low intakes of phytoestrogens have been found to have little effect on breast cancer risks but that high intakes of phytoestrogens have a protective influence.

Gliondrach

I haven't read all of this thread but I clicked on the link from Bjornagain, post 103. I didn't read all of that page but I chuckled when I read that an Hawaiian study showed brain shrinkage in soya users. I have been drinking soya milk for about 20 years and my brain is even better than it was when I started.

Quote Gliondrach
    I haven't read all of this thread but I clicked on the link from Bjornagain, post 103. I didn't read all of that page but I chuckled when I read that an Hawaiian study showed brain shrinkage in soya users. I have been drinking soya milk for about 20 years and my brain is even better than it was when I started.
    Thanks Martin, I always like to read your threads - you help me stay sane..... I read shock horror headlines 'soya shrinks brains' or 'soya causes breast cancer' and I feel this awful panic start.... I do try to keep it all in perspective, I KNOW lots of these so called studies originate from sources keen to keep people eating animals and animal producs, but still thay manage to scare me - though I'd NEVER be anything but vegan, of course..... I am a long term vegan too, I think we must accept that we are experimental subjects (I am proud and honoured to be so) so that veganism can thrive long after we have departed.

Gliondrach

Mind you, I should have added that I'm a bit more barmy than I used to be.

Quote Gliondrach
    Mind you, I should have added that I'm a bit more barmy than I used to be.
    OH STOP IT!!

Gliondrach

Was that you or was it the voices in my head again?

Quote Gliondrach
    Was that you or was it the voices in my head again?
    Not sure.... but I expect you missed my other mail about three back.... n'est pas?

Barmy, that's not the half of it!!!

Default Is soy bad for your health?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it.

The other day a retailer selling protein products informed me that soy products including milk were very bad for your health, in fact he described them as poison! The only exceptions were tempe and a few brands of tofu.

He said soy has only been used in small amounts in Asian countries, not to the extend we use it eg on a daily basis. He quoted a scientific research article, but I have forgotten the title.

Another frightening fact, was that he said soy companies are owned by the dairy industry.

Can someone clarify this as it is quite alarming if it is true?
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 7th, 2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Merged with existing thread.

Seaside

Default Re: Is soy bad for your health?

Soy products are big business, so it is hard to get unbiased information on soy from the pro soy folks or the con soy folks. Before there was such a huge market for all kinds of soy based meat and dairy facsimiles, soy was known as a common allergenic food, along with eggs, wheat, citrus, etc. Some people think it suppresses thyroid function, but there are lots of healthy foods that do the same thing, like broccoli and cabbage. I would look at studies made before soy became such a widespread food ingredient, especially studies on the inclusion of tofu and tempeh in the diets of Asian people. They have been eating these foods for hundreds of years, and I would trust older studies on this, since they wouldn't be tainted by the modern bias that the soy industry would have for promoting soy, and the anti-vegan bias for condemning it as a viable dietary protein.

If you know you are allergic to soy, stay away from it. Lots of vegans never use soy. I use very little soy myself. But I don't avoid it either. The only concern I would have is for a new vegan who, prior to becoming vegan, ate an Atkin's style diet, low in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, thinking that they could just switch to soy based meats, cheeses, and milk, and still not eat enough whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

this topic has been covered extensively on this forum. But the upshot is that one should avoid eating too much of any one item.

As for dairy soy companies being owned by the dairy industry - well dairy companies have obviously lost a lot of $$$ by people turning to soymilk, so some of them opened a sideline of soymilk. That sideline has become quite considerable, but the two products are kept quite separate.

Finally I would take a huge pinch of sale with any retailer telling me that soy products including milk were very bad for your health, in fact ... poison! Does he sell that poison?
    Eve

He promotes rice protein as being the only safe source. He actually promotes and prefers the use of nuts and seeds etc as a natural protein source.

I would like to know which dairy companies also include soy and there names so I could avoid them.

Grateful for any feedback.

Apologies for not noticing the soy thread. I did a quick scan and was pushed for time. Will check out the previous articles.

Quote Seaside
    Soy products are big business, so it is hard to get unbiased information on soy from the pro soy folks or the con soy folks. Before there was such a huge market for all kinds of soy based meat and dairy facsimiles, soy was known as a common allergenic food, along with eggs, wheat, citrus, etc. Some people think it suppresses thyroid function, but there are lots of healthy foods that do the same thing, like broccoli and cabbage. I would look at studies made before soy became such a widespread food ingredient, especially studies on the inclusion of tofu and tempeh in the diets of Asian people. They have been eating these foods for hundreds of years, and I would trust older studies on this, since they wouldn't be tainted by the modern bias that the soy industry would have for promoting soy, and the anti-vegan bias for condemning it as a viable dietary protein.

If you know you are allergic to soy, stay away from it. Lots of vegans never use soy. I use very little soy myself. But I don't avoid it either. The only concern I would have is for a new vegan who, prior to becoming vegan, ate an Atkin's style diet, low in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, thinking that they could just switch to soy based meats, cheeses, and milk, and still not eat enough whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
    I'm not concerned about allergies in my own case. more the possible drastic impact on health like cancer etc.

I was told that eating traditional soy products in small quantities should be ok as has been shown by a number of countries, apparently it is the large amounts consumed regulary that is the issue ie smoothies etc, that cause a health risk. The retailer believed it is connected to the modern manufacturing processes soy now goes through.

Eve does 'The China Study' discuss this? I'm buying it anyway, but just curious.

Sorry treehugga, I honestly can't recall, but the book certainly didn't encourage me to give up soy. I'm not a huge eater of anything really, except fruit and vegies, but I do drink some soymilk every day, which tastes delicious, and a few times a week I make a soy dish. You will love The China Study - did you see the interview with the author in the current issue of Vegan Voice?
    Eve

Quote treehugga
    He promotes rice protein as being the only safe source. He actually promotes and prefers the use of nuts and seeds etc as a natural protein source.

I would like to know which dairy companies also include soy and there names so I could avoid them.

Grateful for any feedback
    I just posted this on a yoghurt thread, I was shocked too.
    Soy life www.parmalat.com.au

Quote eve
    Sorry treehugga, I honestly can't recall, but the book certainly didn't encourage me to give up soy. I'm not a huge eater of anything really, except fruit and vegies, but I do drink some soymilk every day, which tastes delicious, and a few times a week I make a soy dish. You will love The China Study - did you see the interview with the author in the current issue of Vegan Voice?
    Thanks Eve.

Yes I did read the article in Vegan Voice and it convinced me the book would be essential to add to my collection. You can never have enough info on dietry issues and the author sounds unbiased too, which is a plus.

I have been looking into soy products and now would not touch anything with added soy protein, such as sports products, as it is manufactured with solvents.

Soy life soy milk is owned by parmalat dairy company, but so far I think Bon soy is ok.

There is also a suspicion that Vitasoy, which I often drink, is owned by Cocacola. I am going to ring them and check later today. I hope this isn't
    true!

From what I have read recently in an old copy of a Vegetarian magazine, most of the bad for you ingredients in soy are killed off during the heating process leaving a relatively harmless product with many benefits. Most of the negative studies have included the reactions of mice and rats to a product that had not undergone the heat treatment.

I'll keep digging and keep all informed. It would be good if we supported the authentic soy people and not the greedy multicorps ie meat and dairy.

vegetarian magazines are not the best sources of info, after all they do support the meat and dairy industries by supporting the dairy industry (knowing that the calves taken from the cow are put into crates as vealers).

I've not heard that vitasoy is owned by coca-cola - I drink vitasoy's 'So Milky' and just clicked on their website at http://www.vitasoy.com.au/aboutHome.html and can't see any connection to coca-cola, but you can read for yourself their joint ownership with National Foods Ltd.

I agree with your para:
    I have been looking into soy products and now would not touch anything with added soy protein, such as sports products, as it is manufactured with solvents.
    Eve

Vitasoy appear to be owned by Pauls dairy company. I tried to call them and was put on hold forever listening to advertisments for Pauls low fat milk and Yoghurt and ice cream. In the end I gave up and hung up it was fairly obvious they are connected to Pauls .

No it is not owned by Pauls dairy co. Vitasoy is a joint venture between Vitasoy International and National Foods Ltd. The joint venture built a state of the art soymilk production facility in Wodonga, Vic and began production in October 2001.

National Foods is a wholly owned subsidiary of San Miguel Corporation. It is one of Australia 's largest food companies, with activities in milk, fresh dairy foods, juice and specialty cheese. Their flagship is Pura milk. Pura MilkVitasoy International has production facilities in Hong Kong, China, Australia and the US.
    Eve

Quote treehugga

Sorry if this is a silly question.
    What did you mean by sports products?

I'd be interested in a 'non dairy corporation' soy milk if you find one.
    I have been using 'so good' but got some 'vitasoy' today to try, I just did a search and got www.natfoods.com.au . Is seems a lot are owned by dairy companies, I had no idea.

Seaside

I think sports products are those protein powder drinks that are supposed to build muscle if you use them while you are working out.

Here is a recipe for homemade soymilk that doesn't require one of those special machines:

http://soy.bryandeno.com/

Quote Jacqui
    (
    The answer to your question is bonsoy. It is slightly more expensive than most brands of soy milk but well worth the extra price. For starters it does not contain added vegetable oil and other nasties and is totally organic. Check out www.spiralfoods.com.au
    Don't blame me for avian flu :(

thanks for that englishvegoboi, I've seen Bonsoy around, and tomorrow will buy a carton to see if I like the taste! I do buy other Spiral foods.
    Eve

Quote Seaside
    Here is a recipe for homemade soymilk that doesn't require one of those special machines:

http://soy.bryandeno.com/
    Thanks for the link. Do you make your own from this recipe?

Quote englishvegoboi
    The answer to your question is bonsoy. It is slightly more expensive than most brands of soy milk but well worth the extra price. For starters it does not contain added vegetable oil and other nasties and is totally organic. Check out www.spiralfoods.com.au
    Thankyou. I did find bonsoy in the supermarket last week after someone had mentioned it, I think it said it was made in Japan????? I am trying to buy as much Aussie made as I can, any good Aussie made companies?

Yes it is made in Japan and that is the one drawback. Drinking bonsoy does have a higher ecological footprint than drinking Aussie made soya milk.

However in this era of globalisation, trade between countries is with us to stay for a long time. Therefore I believe it is better that we support the importation of high quality vegan products (which bonsoy certainly is) to help ensure that international trade becomes as green and vegan friendly as possible. I have yet to come across an Aussie soy milk that comes even reemotely close to bonsoy in quality. I have taken to cutting back on soy milk in recent times and instead use almond milk and quinoa milk. This is imported from Spain and is very expensive. The truth is we could manufacture our own almond milk here in Australia from locally grown almonds and start a whole new industry....but these are not enlightened times that we live in. Otherwise I do buy Aussie stuff whenever possible..... but I will be supporting England in the soccer world cup
    Don't blame me for avian flu :(

Quote eve
    No it is not owned by Pauls dairy co. Vitasoy is a joint venture between Vitasoy International and National Foods Ltd. The joint venture built a state of the art soymilk production facility in Wodonga, Vic and began production in October 2001.

National Foods is a wholly owned subsidiary of San Miguel Corporation. It is one of Australia 's largest food companies, with activities in milk, fresh dairy foods, juice and specialty cheese. Their flagship is Pura milk. Pura MilkVitasoy International has production facilities in Hong Kong, China, Australia and the US.
    I think I actually meant to say Pura. Anyway if you ring the 1800 no on the carton the message advertises dairy products. I am really disappointed about that as it means I have been continuing to support dairy co's.

I think I will pay the price and stick to Bonsoy. Aussie's Own may be ok, but I can't handle the taste!

Quote eve
    thanks for that englishvegoboi, I've seen Bonsoy around, and tomorrow will buy a carton to see if I like the taste! I do buy other Spiral foods.
    You will love the taste I'm sure. I find even dairy drinkers can handle this one.

Quote Jacqui
    Sorry if this is a silly question.
    What did you mean by sports products?

I have been using 'so good' but got some 'vitasoy' today to try, I just did a search and got www.natfoods.com.au . Is seems a lot are owned by dairy companies, I had no idea.
    Sorry, yes sports products are tins of powdered protein, usually either whey or soy and some are rice.

They are used to assist with muscle development and either gaining or losing weight (ie substituting food for weight loss or adding to diet for weight gain). You need to careful as too much protein can cause health probs.

I'm a fitness freak currently undertaking a 12 week challenge, so was interested in something that would assist with using weights at the gym.

Instead of these evil powders I am using a vegan blend of nuts, seeds. lecithin etc made by a local naturapath which I blend in a smoothie.

Seaside

Quote Jacqui
    Thanks for the link. Do you make your own from this recipe?
    No, I have a recipe which uses soy flour, but I can't find it, so I did a search. I actually don't use soy milk much anymore, as I love nut milks. I have made my own almond milk from raw, sprouted almonds, and it is delicious, without any additions. The solids left over made a very delicious thick cream, too.

Quote englishvegoboi
    Yes it is made in Japan and that is the one drawback. Drinking bonsoy does have a higher ecological footprint than drinking Aussie made soya milk.

However in this era of globalisation, trade between countries is with us to stay for a long time. Therefore I believe it is better that we support the importation of high quality vegan products (which bonsoy certainly is) to help ensure that international trade becomes as green and vegan friendly as possible. I have yet to come across an Aussie soy milk that comes even reemotely close to bonsoy in quality. I have taken to cutting back on soy milk in recent times and instead use almond milk and quinoa milk. This is imported from Spain and is very expensive. The truth is we could manufacture our own almond milk here in Australia from locally grown almonds and start a whole new industry....but these are not enlightened times that we live in. Otherwise I do buy Aussie stuff whenever possible..... but I will be supporting England in the soccer world cup
    Thanks again for all the information. I have decided to try some bon soy. I don't drink much soy milk anyway, and will cut back even more now. Maybe hassle some Aussie companies to get their fingers out and make us some great milk.
    But for Cliff sake, England in the soccer