Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is soya bad for our health - and do we actually need soya?

Default Re: Sainsburys

Hmm interesting, thanks for that article. I'm deffinitely going to have a try of oat milk and maybe almond milk...but I think I'll still have soya milk because it's so much cheaper.
    Don't hate...educate!

Default Re: Sainsburys

Quote Manzana View Post
    He once told me that soya milk (this does not include tofu
    My best friend when I was growing up claimed to be allergic to tomatoes, except when on pizza or in ketchup.

Tofu is coagulated soya milk.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Soya - They hailed it as a wonderfood

erm, ok, as i said, i didnt really want to start a new thread... everything seems to be bad for you! :P

Default Re: Soya - They hailed it as a wonderfood

Quote Manzana View Post
    Sorry!!! really, I did not mean to start another thread here!!!
    ... which is why I just merged your new thread with an existing soya thread...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Is soya bad for your health?

Thanks Korn

I think it's quite depressing how much the information differs!!! When there is so much industrial/political pressure behind it, how will we ever find out what the case is?

I don't think its bad as such, much better than meat, but there are things about eating too much of it that are bad for women of childbearing age as it can affect the thyroid.
    Personally GM soya is the real problem though, loads of companies claim to be GM free when they aren't and GM soya is still getting mixed up with non GM. GM foods are known to have serious health implications and we all know that the authorities have covered up research that links GM foods to serious health concerns. And yet GM is still being fed to the public and most of all to vegans, we are the guinea pigs. I'd advise you only eat organic soya, or soya from a cast iron source. Otherwise twenty years from now we'll be in the same state those rats were, that they fed GM potatoes to.

Yes, GM is a problem. It makes me cross! Anyway, about soya...I don't think I ate much of it as a child/teenager. I probably eat more now that I am vegan but I know if I eat too much (for me), I get belly ache. It's the only thing that does this to me so there has to be something "not good" about it. The biggest problem comes when it's in burgers/icecream, etc.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Is all organic soymilk GM free or does it depend on the company?

All Alpro is GM free, and some of it is Organic.

steven1222

Quote Mermaid07 View Post
    Is all organic soymilk GM free or does it depend on the company?
    All organic soymilk is GMO-free, regardless of the company.

I'm not at all sure about soya anymore, because of the phytoestrogens. But I have just discovered that hemp contains more essential amino acids than soya and can be made into milk, tofu etc. so am planning to try it. Its also got the perfect omega balance apparently.

Here's a link to an article on WebMD:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/Soy-Wars
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote hazelbunny View Post
    I'm not at all sure about soya anymore, because of the phytoestrogens. But I have just discovered that hemp contains more essential amino acids than soya and can be made into milk, tofu etc. so am planning to try it. Its also got the perfect omega balance apparently.
    i love hemp
    i use the flour in my vegy pies, put the oil in my salads, on my hair, on my body, drink the milk, wear the shoes, would wear the cloths if i could afford them XD
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Processed soy is very bad for your health supposedly; Asian cuisine is known to be "soy healthy" because all of the soy they use is fermented (ie: tofu and other soy staples), but none of the soy ingredients that go in vegan meat,dairy-alternative foods are fermented and 'pure'. Most of them seem to be chemically derived in some way, shape, or form, and while moderate amounts might provide some decent protein, I think ample heaps of processed soy can't possibly be good for anyone's body.

OK, I've come here from the thread on eczema as I've been told soya can make eczema worse. I've been vegan since May this year, my soya intake did go up, I did get an eczema outbreak but after about 2-3 months. Could my outbreak be soya related? I've been reading a lot of bad things about soya since this and I'd like to know if people think I'm eating too much soya, regardless of whether or not it may affect my eczema (I'm a new vegan - not sure how much is too much or what the alternatives are).

I have alpro yoghurt on my cereal in the morning, a couple more yoghurts as snacks during the day, and I have some cauldron tofu and some TVP every day too. At the weekend (which is my "treat" time) I tend to have some of the more highly processed meat analogs like redwoods stuff.

There's also a lot in this thread (I haven't read all of it yet, sorry) about bad versus good soya. Does anyone know if I'm eating the bad or good kind?!?!

HI Becky,

I think too much or too little are relative terms and depend on the individual. So, bearing this in mind, personally I think you are having a lot of Soya (at least that would be a lot for what I usually have).

I tend to have tofu only once or twice a week. Sometimes I have soya milk or yoghurt but most times I have oat milk. I never have any TVP or processed meat analogs as (like most processed products) they tend to be less nutritious (and argueably less healthy) than other foods...

If you are a new vegan, it might be hard not to use processed meat (as you are probably trying to adapt slowly from your previous diet)... but there are a couple of simple changes you can do... instead of snack soya yoghurts, have bananas, apples or other fruits... TOfu is always a much better choice (in my opinion) than processed meat alternatives. Pasta dishes, rissotto or stir fries don't need any soya to be delicious so maybe they could substitute some of your processed soya meals?

steven1222

TVP and highly processed meat analogs are said to be unhealthy, as are so-called 'excessive' amounts of any soy products. It does sound like you eat a large amount of soy, but the fact that people blame it for anything does not necessarily mean it is the cause. The whole idea of "good vs. bad soy" is controversial.

Edit: someone posted while I was replying.

From what I've read, it's specifically products that contain soy isolates or soy concentrate that aren't good for you. Whole soy products seem to be healthy, though anything can be done in excess. Pretty much everyday I have a soy smoothie (containing soy yogurt & often soy milk along with fruit) and almost daily I eat a "soy" meal (tofu, tempeh, etc). I'm sure it's mentioned elsewhere, but you may want to check out this site: http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanks for all the replies.

This week I've made the attempt at cutting back on the soy, which is a lot easier than I thought. I've not had any so far, will take the suggestions on board about just having "whole soy" products like tofu, as I know too much processing's bad anyway.

As I'm a bit clueless about vegan cooking I've also ordered a book, Vegan Cooking for One (my husband is a meat eater) to give me ideas for stuff beyond using soy.

To be honest I doubt that it's soy that's given me the eczema outbreak, there have been occasions where I was having it daily before going vegan with no ill effects.

I went to a homeopath, and my eczema went away within months after having it for a year. I ate LOTS of soy before, during, and after, and it's been 5 years since I had eczema and I eat more soy than ever.

Go to a homeopath and get that fixed. It's likely that your diet has little to do with it.
    context is everything

vegan

Wow, there are a lot of people on these forums... kind of makes me a bit dizzy.

Default Catarrh? Too much soya?

I think I need to see the doctor! I've been told that soya can cause catarrh, which is what I get quite badly. (Actually, i'm not sure it's catarrh, but I have excess mucus which ends up stuck in my throat), is it true that soya can cause this, or can any other foods?

Default Re: Catarrh? Too much soya?

I get a lot of congestion in my sinus and throat after drinking soymilk and/ or soy products. It always happens right after ingestion and slowly goes away over the next few hours, but its definitely a problem for me too. I try to limit my soy consumption to organic soybeans. But I often don't have a problem with luna bars either, its mostly the milk that gives me problems.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

cobweb

interesting.........i sometimes feel i have a sort of 'thick' feeling in my throat and i do use way too much soya milk but am cutting back now, i'll see if it helps.

BlackCats

I have no idea if there is a scientific reason for soya causing cattarrh but I noticed that when I got a cold last week it really lasted a long time and I realised that I had bought lots of soya yoghurts, desserts and cream as I didn't realise my supermarket stocked them all. (I think the caramel desserts are yummy.) Ella - it was you that wrote it on here and I think you are right that it affects some people that way. I am still having soya milk and the occasional yoghurt but I have cut right back. I have a fridge full of the desserts but I am rationing myself.

Interesting... I wonder if there's any difference in the way the soya is produced as to if one gets catarrh or not. Having said that I practically never drink soya milk, but I always have soya inside something on a daily basis (meat substitutes etc..), however the time when I notice the catarrh is when I really wake up, and I have absolutely NO ventilation in my room... I covered up the vent to shut out the noise. So I wonder if lack of fresh air is causing it.

When I was pouring almond milk on my cereal at work I had two similar responses from two different people:

S: I'm actually lactose intolerant but I can't drink soya milk because it contains oestrogen and was giving me boobs. I now drink oat milk.

M: Oh I'm glad you aren't using soya milk! That stuff is pumped full of oestrogen.

I'm not gonna stop drinking it even if it does. Just wondering if there is any logic in what they are saying?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

There's various opinions. I drink heaps of soy milk along with other soy products. I would love bigger boobs but it hasn't had any impact what so ever

cobweb

gawd maybe that's why mine are so huge! (i hate them! )

hahaha. Mine are big, too. But they were before I started drinking/ eating soy. I don't really eat soy anymore because it hurts my stomach and causes congestion! I think I'm ok with one type of burger, edamame, and luna bars, but the milk and most of the fake meats aren't good for me.

cobweb

i do think it might cause congestion (the milk, anyway) but i love it in my decaff tea

my boobs have gone from a c cup to an f since i went vegan but there again i have also put on a lot of weight and breastfed a baby for a year .

Even if I have problems with soy, I still don't think soy is a huge deal for most. I doubt that bit in your coffee wil do that much, right? I think my boobs are bigger because I gained weight, mostly in the boob area lol... Hoping they'll get smaller when I lose weight again!

Well I have small boobs and I have soya milk at least once a day. shame it isn't true...I could feed it to all my female friends...pervy of me but hey I like it!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

good find, it never occured to me that soybeans were grown genetically altered... being from a farm I know all about chemicals that are used and have always detested them. We once had to chase a cow threw a freshly sprayed feild and my stepfather almost died from a 15 minute exposure. Nasty stuff, so I'll keep an eye out for organic and try to research where the soybeans in the soy products that I use come from.

songlife

I've read that pretty much all of the soy that's in North American stuff is GMO, super chemically phucked up and that other countries overseas have actually banned our soy. Hah! There's a really great chinese vegan restaurant with loads of non-GMO soy products that taste rediculously good though, so I'm trying to do my research to find out if all soy is bad or only the GMO stuff.

I really want to know because I could totally live without soy like I have been (I have eaten soy probably once a month if not less, since becoming a vegan, I get protein from hemp powder and seeds, nuts, legumes etc because protein is everywhere).... but if it's not bad for me, I'd like to eat it :P that mushroom soy chicken-like stuff is SO yummy.

I don't know how but I seem to have missed all the controversy about soya that has been on this site for about 4 years. I recently had a friend ask me how much soya I ate and sent an email to me about 'the dangers of soya -very important for ladies' Ms Surekha Ramchandani, one woman's story on soya... I was shocked by the apparent harm that eating soya products had done to her. I then did a bit of looking it all up on the internet but there seems to be a huge amount of conflicting opinion/research results on soya. I think I will be much more careful in future about what I eat and try to stick to bean and nut burgers in future rather that tofu based bought ones. I use soya milk on a regular basis, perhaps rice or oat milk would be a better option though I've found soya is much better for making pancakes for example. What IS everyone else doing about this?

I think a lot of the information on the web is (surprise!) biased as it is backed by either the meat industry or the soya industry.

Have you read the Robbins article, http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm , pansypuss? I mostly do what I think is described in there, i.e. eat traditional forms of soya like tofu in moderate quantities and avoid the novel ones like TVP and the various isolates as far as possible. I feel that the traditional ones are probably safe as they have been eaten for thousands of years in the east (although obviously people in Japan and China could be "selected" for soya-eating in a way that westerners aren't).

Mahk

Quote Pansypuss View Post
    a friend ask me how much soya I ate and sent an email to me about 'the dangers of soya -very important for ladies' Ms Surekha Ramchandani, one woman's story on soya... I was shocked by the apparent harm that eating soya products had done to her.
    So "she" claims.

A Google search on "Surekha Ramchandani" brings up about 70 hits, every single one I've looked at are forum entries and blog posts of the same cut and paste email usually starting with [paraphrased] "be sure to pass this on to your loved ones..." This in my mind indicates a classic example of propaganda, probably planted by the anti-soya meat industry or similar faction, in the form of a chain letter, reminiscent of a pyramid scheme (but for rumors instead of money), designed to sway the public yet have no traceable source to investigate or verify for authenticity.

This woman [who I doubt even exists and challenge anyone reading this to prove otherwise] despite a total lack of education in science, nutrition, or medicine has self diagnosed all her various illnesses over her life to have been caused by soya. None of her dozens of doctors have suggested any connection, however her "herbalist" concurs with her. If only she had consulted a board certified "spice-alist" instead, who are much more knowledgeable, she would have learned her woes are due to her cell phone use and not soya at all.

Here, in the Oct 26, 2006 blog entry, is "her" tale of woe regarding the "toxic" soya which has caused all her ills.

Remember everyone, if it is on the internet, it must be true. If people here don't garee with me that's fine, but we are all entitled to post our opinions. I just posted mine.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Here, in the Oct 26, 2006 blog entry, is "her" tale of woe regarding the "toxic" soya which has caused all her ills.
    All that soya seems to have affected her ability to use paragraphs.

Thanks all :smile: the article you mentioned Harpy seems balanced on a quick skim through. I'm going to read it through more carefully and send the link to my friend. There is a lot of stuff out there on the net, anyone can post anything and yes it must be right!
    Despite the soya I have consumed while veggie and then vegan doesn't seem to be affecting me badly. In fact I have become healthier since going vegan (nearly three years) than I've ever been. Perhaps a little fatter from eating too much good vegan food though

Quote Mahk View Post
    So "she" claims.

So soya is bad for you and causes thyroid dysfunction and tumors and all that... but the contraceptive pill is good... right???

She sounds like a total nutcase!

Plus, on the basis of avoiding soya, maybe she should also avoid beef and cows milk since lots of cattle is mainly fed on soya meal... I think that would certainly make her healthier!

Metal Maniac

Quote TheFirstBus View Post
    Anti Soy movement. As a soy supporter I am going to say thats just sad, just sad...
    Very,very sad

..over 50% of my diet is soy and my health is 100% and i owe it to SOYA!!!

I've been vegan (and consuming plenty of soya milk and tofu) for 20 years! Have had a borderline thyroid problem for about 13 years. Could be related to iodine deficiency but since increasing the amount of iodine via a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (and eating sea vegetables) the condition remains easily activated by soya consumption.

Eliminating soya from my diet to good effect and later accidentally consuming 'hidden' soya (which I discovered after I became sick again) has confirmed, as best I can, the link between my soya consumption and my thyroid problem.

My doctor (and my second and third opinions!) insist they can offer no test that will reliably confirm this.

P.s This is my own personal experience so I am no way making any claim that soya is bad for anyone but myself.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

soya has it's health benefits (rgulating colesterol etc) but likeverything it should be consumed in moderation. No need to go overboard and eating it everymeal, in every drink and on every crumpet but having some nice tofu, some soya milk in your tea and the odd dairy free milk choc bar should be fine and dandy (unless you have a specific complaint agrivated by soya) even eating too many apples can have problems.

Mahk

Heartsease, it seems to me that neither you nor any of your doctors have any proof that your condition is caused by soya. That is, your consumption may be simply coincidental to you thyroid condition. How do you know, for instance, that it is not caused by your consumption of salt and pepper, for example.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Heartsease, it seems to me that neither you nor any of your doctors have any proof that your condition is caused by soya. That is, your consumption may be simply coincidental to you thyroid condition. How do you know, for instance, that it is not caused by your consumption of salt and pepper, for example.
    Because I can consistently use salt and pepper without getting unwell?

Or..did you mean that something else may be making my thyroid vulnerable to the soya in the first instance? That may be so.....but much harder to rectify, I would think....especially when my thyroid is currently well (according to blood tests and lack of symptoms).

Still, if something else were causing my thyroid problem it would not alter
    the 'fact' that soya seems to cause me to experience symptoms that I do not experience otherwise.

Ps. It's late, so forgive me if I missed your point Mahk.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

I think it's great by the way that you have been able to regulate your diet to control the thyroid problem. Good that you're able to avoid thyroxine etc.

Mahk

Heartsease, I'm sure you're right, your thyroid condition is caused by soya and nothing else. You stopped consuming it and the symptoms stopped so that proves it 100%. I don't wish to discuss it any further. Pardon my intrusion into your personal affairs. I'm throwing in the towel.

Good luck.

Mahk

"Thyroid disease: One study suggested that soy protein supplements can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medications. Other research tentatively showed that soy foods may actually interfere with normal thyroid function, perhaps leading to goiter (swelling of the thyroid gland, located in the neck). But there's no risk of goiter in healthy people consuming soy who are not deficient in iodine. Strict vegetarians, who eat no iodine-rich fish or dairy products, might be at risk—and eating lots of soy might boost the risk. The answer is not to give up soy, but to increase iodine intake. One way is to use a small amount of iodized salt. And vary your diet as much as possible."

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/w...tured1102.html