Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: weird sleep experiences

tabitha

Default Re: weird sleep experiences

I can only lucid dream if Ive been asleep for a few hours, wake up in the early hours and try to stay awake for at least an hour, then I get some fairly amazing experiences. Sometimes it helps if Ive had valerian. The dreams are so crystal clear I think about them all the next day.

Koolvedge

Quote tabitha
    I can only lucid dream if Ive been asleep for a few hours, wake up in the early hours and try to stay awake for at least an hour, then I get some fairly amazing experiences. Sometimes it helps if Ive had valerian. The dreams are so crystal clear I think about them all the next day.
    Last night I had some really intense dreams. There was a bit of lucidness to one, but the other did have me sweating a little . I love the dream realm, sometimes I wake up with butterflies in my stomach and other times I feel like I've travelled through dimensions. The lucid ones are kool, but sometmes I'm in full adventure mode. I use to take afternoon naps just for the purpose of dreaming. I have done some serious experimentation with myself in trying to enter the dreamworld and return with things that I've experienced. When I awaken sometimes I can remember them clearly, other times it requires a bit more effort, either way it's an experience.

In 2004 I was experiencing so many dreams that it brought me to study different aspects of them. Going to classes given by professors dealing with ancient mysticism, trying to create a personal dream dictionary, and speaking with more experienced people about different scenarios. I still know that I have barely touched the surface of understanding where I go when I dream, but it's fun. I think the Aborigines of Australia said it best, "When we are born we come out of the dream world and when we die we go back to it". Remember, row, row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.........

tabitha

Was it Edgar Allan Poe who said (something like) Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loath them.

Not True.

Koolvedge

Yes, that's very philosophical, I like it. A person once told me that, "Being bored is resisting existence".

Quote Yoggy View Post
    I heard that the leg spasm is part of the body's natural defense mechanism. Sometimes when you fall asleep, your heart rate drops so fast that your body thinks you're dying, so your brain makes your leg jerk to keep you conscious.
    I have had occasion to FEEL as if I am dying as I fall asleep. Very unpleasant. I'm a big one for thinking that I am falling down stairs when I fall asleep on my back. As a youngster I would often fall asleep and try to grab the car door trying not to fall. My poor mother thought I was trying to bail out!

Quote Yoggy View Post
    I had a weird sleep experience when I lived in Thailand. I shared a bed with 2 other girls, and one morning one of them told me that I had woken up in the middle of the night and started petting her head like she was a dog, and murmuring in a language that wasn't English or Thai. I had no recollection of it, but I was used to sleeping with my dog before I had moved to Thailand, so maybe I had a dream about him and thought my roommate was my dog! That wouldn't explain the gibberish I was talking though!
    I did this to my friend one night. She was making that sound a dog makes when having a nightmare. I started petting her head and fully woke up to her staring at me kind of concerned. Maybe I was petting her but she had a dog nightmare! Hehe.

I woke up one night rolled over and told my fiance "I just had a dream about cheese nips"

And he was like "What?" And I repeated myself over and over,explaing what cheese nips were until I became very angry and left the room. Who doesn't know what cheese nips are?
    But apparently every time I said "cheese nips" I was actually saying "Crackermamaflipflop". Which apparently was what I was angrily shouting at him!

I also said one time "Sizzle bizzle sizzle" and then laughed like I told a joke and went back to sleep. My friend later told me I must have been dreaming about Snoop Dogg. Haha.

I slept walked a lot as a child, when stressed or exhausted. I had a really wild one that I had to solve math problems in order to figure out how to build a space ship (number munchers style) on my mother's bed. She said I walked around as if I had a calculator in my hand crying "She won't let me stop!" because a woman was forcing me to do this.

I probably have more stories

Oh, my biggest thing that most people have no idea what I am talking about:

I'll be half awake but dreaming. The dream is usually I have to figure something out and it is the utmost importance. I am not allowed to go back to sleep until I figure it out. I'll be tired and know that I want to sleep but I can't fully understand that I am dreaming.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Wow! That's some crazy stuff there Haniska.

When I was a kid I dreamed that the phone rang, I answered it and it was for my mum. In my dream I was calling out to my mother to come and take her phone call.....but she was in the laundry with the washing machine going and couldn't hear me.

So in my dream I'm yelling "MUM.....MUM.....MUM" louder and louder. The more she can't hear me, the more pissed off I'm getting and the louder I'm yelling at her.

I wake myself up with my yelling and my parents running into my bedroom thinking that an intruder was in there attacking me (because of the screams) lol.

Sorry - might not seem that funny.....guess you had to be there.

Yeah those are pretty mild accounts compared to my sleep habits. I have many odd habits when sleeping. I scratch incessantly when asleep so I have to keep my nails as short as possible or else I will wake up with deep bloody wounds. It's sad and I'm very self-conscious about it. But there's nothing I can do about it. Also, I am told that I laugh out loud while sleeping and sometimes I have conversations with myself while I'm sleeping.

And, sometimes in my sleep, I sound like I am having sex. I have been told that I moan as if I am having an orgasm while I am sleeping.

It's so embarrassing. But there's not much I can do about it. I'm so embarrassed by my sleeping that I often pay for separate hotel rooms when I travel with others. It's very stressful to me to travel with friends and family because of this.

So you have nothing to worry about compared to me.

Sometimes i get very depressed because of my annoying sleep habits. I have thought about suicide so that I won't bother others when sleeping.

I'm not looking for help from you guys but I thought I would tell you my experience so that you won't feel that you are weird. It could always be worse....as in my case.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Wow bugaboo! I'm really sorry to hear of your experiences and that they trouble you so much (((HUGS))).

I know you're not asking for help or anything, but I wonder if there's professional help even available to assist with these kinds of things.

I have had dreams where something is making me so sad that I am crying
    uncontrollably, like I never cry in real life. You know, no stifling,
    not holding back at all, bawling, screaming, crying like the most
    important person in my life has just died. And I always wake up in the
    middle of this, which makes me think that I am screaming out loud and
    thus waking myself.

The problem is that I live in a shared house with extremely thin
    walls, so the housemate in the next room must think I am a freak. But
    he still talks to me like I am normal, so perhaps he is OK with it.

What I find weird is that whenever I dream of my children (who are now in their 50s) they are always little children. I wonder why that is?
    Eve

a friend of mine has suffered from night terrors for many years which she believes stem from something that happened to her as a young child, and she's having somatic experiencing therapy which she says is really helpful.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

BlackCats

Bugaboo - I do that as well, I have woken up with self inflicted scratches on my arms and face before.
    I also used to sleepwalk when I was a child/teenager and my husband says I laugh and and talk in my sleep a lot.

I sleep very badly still, it is annoying.

I got punched in the face by a sleeping person once.

eve, its funny that you say that because my mom once said "when you have children, you stop seeing them grow around age 5. after that they will always be young to you" so i knew she always saw us as children no matter how old we got.

i used to beat people up in my sleep. and yell and scream but i grew out of it as i got older.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Yoggy View Post
    I had a weird sleep experience when I lived in Thailand. I shared a bed with 2 other girls, and one morning one of them told me that I had woken up in the middle of the night and started petting her head like she was a dog, and murmuring in a language that wasn't English or Thai. I had no recollection of it, but I was used to sleeping with my dog before I had moved to Thailand, so maybe I had a dream about him and thought my roommate was my dog! That wouldn't explain the gibberish I was talking though!
    Weeeeeird, this same EXACT thing happened to me last weekend. My boyfriend and I were on vacation, staying in a hotel, and one night I woke up to him petting my head twice and saying a sentence in jibberish. I was confused, so I said "what?" and he repeated the sentence again. I asked what again, then he woke up and laughed when I told him what happened, he had no recollection.

RubyDuby

Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

lol ruby i know its not funny but i couldnt help but laugh thinking "what the hell kind of drugs did she take that night!!!" but im only joking.

really that must be horrible. do you still do this?

*hugs*

RubyDuby

no, it was before i learned to stop drinking once I reached drunk

oh good! im glad youre not suffering with this anymore than!

Quote bugaboo View Post
    I scratch incessantly when asleep so I have to keep my nails as short as possible or else I will wake up with deep bloody wounds.
    My husband does this and anytime I try to grab his hand and stop him, he fights me off so that he can keep on scratching.

My grandma and grandpa used to have to sleep in separate bedrooms because he was so violent in his sleep. I'm guessing he had night terrors.

And when I was a kid no one could sleep in the same bed as me because I would run up their back. I would always wake up with my head at the food of the bed. Luckily I don't do it anymore lol.

Gazes at Trees

Quote bugaboo View Post
    Yeah those are pretty mild accounts compared to my sleep habits. I have many odd habits when sleeping. I scratch incessantly when asleep so I have to keep my nails as short as possible or else I will wake up with deep bloody wounds. It's sad and I'm very self-conscious about it. But there's nothing I can do about it. Also, I am told that I laugh out loud while sleeping and sometimes I have conversations with myself while I'm sleeping.

And, sometimes in my sleep, I sound like I am having sex. I have been told that I moan as if I am having an orgasm while I am sleeping.

It's so embarrassing. But there's not much I can do about it. I'm so embarrassed by my sleeping that I often pay for separate hotel rooms when I travel with others. It's very stressful to me to travel with friends and family because of this.

So you have nothing to worry about compared to me.

Sometimes i get very depressed because of my annoying sleep habits. I have thought about suicide so that I won't bother others when sleeping.

I'm not looking for help from you guys but I thought I would tell you my experience so that you won't feel that you are weird. It could always be worse....as in my case.
    Bugaboo, there is something you can do. I believe EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) can totally sort you out. Honest, I use it for all kinds of things myself and it works. You can download the introduction/beginners manual for free and take it from there. I know you said you are not looking for help but you really don't need to have such a miserable time when help is there, and it's totally doable. Trust me! Good Luck n Hugs http://emofree.com

I can have full blown conversations in my sleep and not remember anything I have said. It has been known for me to sit up, kiss my partner, take a drink, have a 30minute conversation and not remember anything.
    Just recently this has been getting me into alot of trouble with my girlfriend. She comes in from work at about 1:30am and gets into bed and I don't know why but I start litterally sheding tears that I'm cold and that I don't want her in the bed. When really if I was awake I'd be grateful to have her there snuggled with me. She has even told me I've opened my eyes and spoken to her and sometimes doesn't believe I am asleep...when I have no memory what so ever of it.
    I also have horrific nightmares about people breaking into my house, dolls and planes. I don't wake up I just shout things in my sleep which also worries my girlfriend.

If I still had a tape player I'd record myself throughout the night, although being abit of a pussy I'd probably be scared of what else I might hear if you know what I mean?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I can have full blown conversations in my sleep and not remember anything I have said. It has been known for me to sit up, kiss my partner, take a drink, have a 30minute conversation and not remember anything.
    I have had a conversation on the telephone and not remembered it. I was meant to phone someone at 11pm and had fallen alseep near the phone. So he phoned and talked to me on the phone. He said that I was pretty out of it, and not following normal social conventions. E.g. he said that I suddenly hung up. At about 11:30 or so I woke up, having absolutely no recollection of the call. So I phoned him, disturbing him as he'd gone to bed assuming that the phone call was finished. As I was apologising for the late call, he was saying incredulously "but I was just speaking to you". I must have been partially or completely asleep during the first call.

Also I once went on a student trip where we were sleeping six to a room. One of my fellow students was talking in his sleep. And it was pretty bizarre stuff, seemingly way out of character.

TheBringer

For a long period of time I would wake up on the other side of the bed. It happened almost every night and I couldn't figure it out. All my dreams have been related to real life, or a story I was writing at the time that became my reality. I only fell off the bed once when I was a kid.

I had a pretty weird sleep experience last night. I sleepwalked into my boyfriend's parent's bedroom and woke his dad up. Next thing I know I'm standing there talking to his dad with no recollection of how I ended up there. Then I sleepwalked into the bathroom and tried to go to the toilet without switching the light on.

RubyDuby

omg enchantress! i bet u really freaked his dad out!!

I used to sleep with my eyes open. I have strange...Hallucinations? when I am ill. At some point in the night I sit up and suddenly believe I am someone/somewhere else and have some sort of task or goal. I am usually vaguely aware of where I really am, and certainly know that I have bed covers around me at first, but still, there I am, acting out whatever is in my head.

Once I had to count to some impossibly high number (I kept losing count until, in a flash of Mr. Bean like genius, I dashed out of bed, found my calculator, added two numbers together and ~phew~ went back to sleep). Another I was a prisoner in a medieval castle, the next night a member of a Formula 1 pit crew. That last time I ended up walking to the living room and waiting for dawn, at which point I carried on with my day, so I think when ill my brain is so fogged up that my dreams carry through into waking life for a while.
    The things that we fear the most have already happened to us...

The other night I was up late doing some homework when my boyfriend got up out of bed and came into the living room. He gave me hug and then said "I figured it out about the machine guns. They need to be purple." Then he went back to bed. When I told him about it in the morning he did not remember and had no idea what I was talking about.
    I have terrible nightmares almost every night and sweat really profusely in my sleep. I also talk and yell in my sleep sometimes. But it's all side effects of medications that I take so I don't find it too alarming, just REALLY annoying!!