Thread: I need a diet!

Default I need a diet!

I need to go on a reducing diet to lose the final 2 stone, I've lost 2.5 already. I'm sure not losing any weight on our current vegan diet because we eat well.
    I'm worried about dieting whilst being a vegan and that I won't get enough of the essential vitamins, minerls and proteins. I need one of those pie charts showing what vegans need each day from different food groups as I haven't a clue really!
    Our diet now is pretty healthy and we eat lots of fresh food and different vegetables every day.
    I don't really believe in dieting in general and I don't think my previous diet (even though it worked) was very healthy.
    Any diet tips gratefully received.
    Silent but deadly :p

Pilaf

Default Re: I need a diet!

Meh... losing weight isn't always necessary, as long as you're healthy.

How much exercise do you get?

I'm currently on a diet of sorts. I love food and cooking/making up recipes (particularly sweet ones!) and hence in the past year (since finishing uni and getting my own place with brand new completely vegan kitchen) I've gained weight sampling too many of my creations

I'm just eating sensibly now and increasing the amount of walking I do. I've gone the anorexic route in the past, which whilst gives great results, isn't they way I wanna live my life these days. I should be back to normal weight within a couple of months.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Diets are bad. They only make you want to cheat and you will gain the weight back once you stop dieting, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to diet forever.

A eating and exercise lifestyle change is what you need!

The only one I am familiar with is Weight Watchers, I lost 40lbs (18.1436948 kilogram or 2.8571429 stone??). Maybe you could look into it?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Diets are bad. They only make you want to cheat and you will gain the weight back once you stop dieting, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to diet forever.
    How so? Veganism is partly a diet. If you can give up animal products you love eating, why can't you give up food that is bad for you too? Everyone here has the strength to change their diet - forever!

Dieting is like anything restrictive - if you try to be too restrictive it will never work and you'll cheat. Budgetting for instance is a good example - set a too small amount to spend each day and you will inevitably go over that amount. If you plan a realistic amount that is slightly less than you are used to then you are more likely to stick to it. Same goes for smoking - aim to smoke one less a day for a month then re-evaluate - not give up completely overnight.

The best way to diet is to cut down the amount you have and exercise a bit more.

I meant diet, as in the "losing weight kind" not diet as in "what you eat as a part of your lifestyle".

but what's the difference? both require you to give up things. Unless you are completely vegan for ethical reasons then you've already begun to eat healthier / better food for your health.

Whatever.

mango woman

Tigerlilly I just want to say i really like your signature about hunting. That's a great thing to point out to any hunters who try to argue with me! HA!

But still for hunting of course.

I am about 2.5 stones overweight on account of working in evil bakers shop with 50% staff discount in my veggie days. I wouldn't say I'm on any kind of calorie counting plan at the moment, because I have never been able to stick to them. Instead it just kind of hit me one day, looking at all the greasy donuts and cakes that there is *absolutely no nutritional value in these foods at all*. And now it's no longer a question of denying myself something yummy, but I genuinely don't want to eat junk food any more, it makes me feel sick! I don't even eat chocolate anymore, because I don't really like the flavour, I was only stuffing it into my gob for the happy 'drug' effect before. I also walk for about 2 hours every day as well, because I enjoy it - there's no way that I would ever go to the gym or anything.

i lose weight by simply cutting my calories down to 1200 a day, and exercising more. even if its just 3 days a week. i use http://www.fitday.com to track my nutrition while eating less and to keep track of how much im bringing in. i find that if i eat 1500 calories a day, i maintain my weight. if i eat more than that, i gain. if i eat less than 1200, i dont lose weight either. 1200 seems to be the perfect number for me.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

mango woman

I am trying to lose about 15 lbs and it's being soooo stubborn!!!! I count calories and keep track of everything i eat and try to stay within 800-1400 cals per day and i try to exercise but rarely have time. I feel like i'm never going to lose it!!!!

Maybe I'll "lose it" before i lose the weight! Then i can be insane and not give a shit about how i look.

Quote Hemlock
    I need to go on a reducing diet to lose the final 2 stone, I've lost 2.5 already. I'm sure not losing any weight on our current vegan diet because we eat well.
    I'm worried about dieting whilst being a vegan and that I won't get enough of the essential vitamins, minerls and proteins. I need one of those pie charts showing what vegans need each day from different food groups as I haven't a clue really!
    Our diet now is pretty healthy and we eat lots of fresh food and different vegetables every day.
    I don't really believe in dieting in general and I don't think my previous diet (even though it worked) was very healthy.
    Any diet tips gratefully received.
    Try the Liver Cleansing diet by Sandra Cabot. It's great. Just substitute any animal products (there arent many) for soy etc. I do it several times a year to keep on track and it always makes me feel great. I don't bother with the recommended suppliements though too expensive!

Quote theashleybeyer
    I am trying to lose about 15 lbs and it's being soooo stubborn!!!! I count calories and keep track of everything i eat and try to stay within 800-1400 cals per day and i try to exercise but rarely have time. I feel like i'm never going to lose it!!!!

Maybe I'll "lose it" before i lose the weight! Then i can be insane and not give a shit about how i look.
    800 calories thats WHY youre not losing weight. because your body puts away whatever it gets to prevent itself from starving. your body is trying to compensate for the days u eat only 800 calories. you should eat at the least 1200 calories. do that and ull lose weight. that way your body wont think its being starved and will let any extra weight go rather than hold onto it for dear life.

mango woman

Quote foxytina_69
    800 calories thats WHY youre not losing weight. because your body puts away whatever it gets to prevent itself from starving. your body is trying to compensate for the days u eat only 800 calories. you should eat at the least 1200 calories. do that and ull lose weight. that way your body wont think its being starved and will let any extra weight go rather than hold onto it for dear life.

See, that's what i was thinking too. Good thing then that i never eat less than like 1200 cals anyway! I think i knew it was too low.. i just get so frustrated and wish i could look in the mirror and be happy with whats reflecting back at me that i start to make unhealthy plans or something.. who knows. Thanks foxytina for the advice though. I believe i've read that you are trying to lose a few also, do you have any other "tips" or advice for a fellow 19 yr old girlie?

when i am trying to lose a little extra weight, i just exercise more (just simple things, like walking or other light activities), drink lots of water, eat as healthy as i can, and make sure i dont go under 1200 calories or else i wont lose.

LittleNellColumbia

I've put on 5 pounds but I did give up smoking recently so I'm not being too hard on myself, it is time to step up the reducing regime though. I expect overweight vegans are healthier than overweight meat eaters anyway!

sugarmouse

tis true hemlock theyll have high cholestrol etc etc!

eat more naturally-alwauys a good option.
    what isin your diet at the moment?

Hemlock, have you seen that book "Plant-based Nutrition and Health", written by Stephen Walsh and published by the Vegan Society? It might be a good one to get hold of to allay your fears about adequate nutrition.

Re losing weight, you've done very well already. I recently lost a load of weight too, mostly through additional exercise and cutting out junk such as crisps (my nemesis!). I also found it helpful to watch the glycaemic load of my food as eating foods that your body burns up quickly (such as white bread or potato unaccompanied by protein) can make you feel hungry soon afterwards and lead you to eat more later. This is something you can read about on various web sites, particularly those intended for diabetics - try googling on "glycaemic load" and "glycaemic index". (Also try the American spelling "glycemic")

Edited to add: I expect vegans are healthier on average but I wouldn't bank on it as I know a long-term vegan who had a heart attack. I had raised cholesterol myself until I turned over a new leaf

Edited again to correct name of book

Thanks! I know what my problem is.....bread. I eat tons of the stuff with no self control. Well we've run out of bread now so I'm going to cut bread products out of my diet until I start losing weight.
    I bought some black german bread instead, rather than just cutting out a food group, it's nice but it doesn't have that moreish quality - one slice is normally enough.
    I also eat too much at lunch so will take a salad and fruit into uni instead of rice and stuff.
    Mind you, after that brussels sprouts curry I ate last night I think I have lost about 10 lbs, almost had to call out Dynarod.

It's good stuff, that German rye bread - has a low glycaemic index and so will keep you going for ages.

sugarmouse

bread does tend to put weight oni remember when i was a kid i was fat and i ate loads of it!

fries and chips are my weakness when it comes to losing weight!

I have a problem with dried fruit. I eat dried figs and dates like they are running out of style. But everything will contribute to weight gain if you eat it in an 'out of control' manner.

mango woman

Quote Banana
    I have a problem with dried fruit. I eat dried figs and dates like they are running out of style. But everything will contribute to weight gain if you eat it in an 'out of control' manner.

I do the same thing... has anyone noticed that dried fruit is higher in calories than regular fruit?? at least it is here... maybe i'm insane.

Quote Mr Flibble
    but what's the difference? both require you to give up things. Unless you are completely vegan for ethical reasons then you've already begun to eat healthier / better food for your health.
    The difference is one tends to be done for ethical reasons, and one tends to be done for health/physical looks
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote theashleybeyer
    I do the same thing... has anyone noticed that dried fruit is higher in calories than regular fruit?? at least it is here... maybe i'm insane.
    It's coz it is concentrated and you eat more pieces of fruit then you would if it was not dried. A good example is raisins. You probably wouldn't eat 100 fresh raisin grapes, but you wouldn't know that you have eaten 100 dried raisins.

mango woman

Quote Queen Medjool
    It's coz it is concentrated and you eat more pieces of fruit then you would if it was not dried. A good example is raisins. You probably wouldn't eat 100 fresh raisin grapes, but you wouldn't know that you have eaten 100 dried raisins.

Makes sense. I think i just ate about 500 raisins. uggggghhhh

Beware of consuming dried fruit it is often treated with chemicals and sulphur - not good for you!

One of my (many) fridge magnets has a diet theme: "I'm on a gin and tonic diet ... I've lost two days already"

exercise is very good for eating healthy, when i exercise regularly my body craves good healthy food, when im having slack moments i end up eating falafel and other fried food all the time. my downfall is having a maoz falafel shop near where i work, for 4 pounds you get falafel in pitta with homous and as much as you can pile on from the salad bar, chips and a drink. i hate them. exercise and good food will make you lose weight at a rate thats good for your body.
    as you say you should cut out white bread, at first i used to miss white bread especially as toast but now i much prefer brown bread and wont touch white bread

sugarmouse

ihave heard white bread has zero nutrician..you may aswell serve urself a few spoons of white sugar...

Eat less, exercise more, always work for me.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I found it easy peasy to become vegan but when it comes to dieting in attempt to lose weight I'm absolutely hopeless! I tried to have a detox day last week & by 9.30(am!) felt deprived and absolutely starving then hubby made fried potato and all was lost
    Most people seem to think I'm slim but actually I'm not(but I'm happy to let them think that )- certainly not as slim as I would like to be.
    I eat far too much of just about everything(vegan)- chocolate, crisps, chillis, apricots, nuts, pizza etc...and best not forget the booze

mango woman

Thats how i feel. its easy to be vegan, but if i'm trying to reduce my intake there's just too much good food to eat! I eat avocado, peanut butter, lots of fruit, pizza and basically anything i can think to concoct. It's hopeless!

Veganism is the best diet in the world. You can eat tons of delicious food and never get fat. At least that's the way it is for me. I get little exercise. The other day I realized how unfit I am because I ran for the bus and was out of breath after about a dozen yards
    Until I start to put on weight I'll keep on eating bread, nuts, crisps and Crazy Jack marzipan