Thread: Soya steaks - free trials for schools

Thumbs up Soya steaks - free trials for schools

Hi spotted this from an article in the latest copy of the vegan society magazine: http://soymeat.co.uk/

This company are keen to send out free catering size packs of these vegan steaks to schools - this is on a free trial basis. I have sent my details off and they are kindly sending me a small pack to try at home and a bigger pack for me to take into the college that i work at (cant see my college turning down a free item!)

Im determined to get more vegan options at work!

The range is vegan society approved but the instructions do mention coating the product in egg! It sounds positive about what this company are aiming towards - healthier food in schools.

So if you know of any schools/colleges that might be interested in a free trail do get in touch with the company.

Alison

Default Re: Soya steaks - free trials for schools

Vegan options at work??? You must mean the baked potato and baked beans without any butter.....if yur lucky
    Silent but deadly :p

or chips if your even luckier

at my college it is chips or dried up jacket potato and beans...or maybe a bashed up piece of fruit.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Thats exactly what I get offered at the mo but im determined to change it, or at least try!

We did get the option of a prepacked houmous sarnie once - checked the ingredients - mayo with it I always take my own lunch and keep a jar of nut butter and box of oatcakes in my desk in case i forget lunch!

Just hope the catering manager does not refuse the free vegi steaks - meant to be 240 in a pack and Il never eat them all!

Alison

Well a massive box of 240 soya steaks (6kg) turned up at my house today! Will need all my strength to get these to work as i dont drive (will hope my dad can drop them off)

Have to say they look like dried loofas I imagine they look better when cooked! Like the idea that they are a non fridge dry product til hydrated. Will try some over the weekend, prehaps take a photo too as they look so unusual!

Now i just need some ideas for how to cook them................

Alison

Well soaked 1 in vegan stock overnight, drained it and dry fried it with some tomato and a pinch of tumeric this am - cooks well, quite chewy texture. Have put it in pitta bread with salad ready for lunch as i shall be out over lunch in a town with a lack of vegan options!

My dad tried some and thought they were nice - said the texture was good, he thinks they will be nice done in his meat grill but hes keen to try some as they are sugar free which is good for him as diabetic.

Can see Il be busy finding ways to cook this great product!

Alison