Thread: FRUIT for health

Default FRUIT for health

Here's an interesting article from an Australian newspaper about the benefits of introducing enougn fruit to someones diet

what do you think

Diet change fruitful for sick kids

By Erin O'Dwyer
    November 6, 2005

It was a simple plan, but spectacularly effective.

Last year a group of doctors began taking boxes of fresh fruit to a remote Aboriginal community in a bid to improve skin infections and hearing loss.

For years doctors had prescribed antibiotics to children in Baryulgil, near Grafton, with little success. One in four had skin infections and one in two had middle-ear disease.

But in 2003 Bulgarr Ngaru Aboriginal Medical Corporation's Dr Ray Jones discovered that every child at the local primary school was vitamin C and iron deficient.

He began the fruit program and after just six months of fresh fruit deliveries, skin infections were reduced to nil and hearing loss improved by almost one-third.

Since then, the program has been extended across the Clarence Valley and parents are improving their children's health by changing the contents of their lunch boxes.

"What they were suffering from was a lack of good food," Dr Ray Jones. "This community is only 80 kilometres from Grafton and they are living in Rwandan conditions in terms of nutrition."

Poor fruit and vegetable consumption is not confined just to Aboriginal communities. A landmark national campaign - Go For 2 & 5 - was launched recently to promote better fruit and vegetable consumption and reduce heart disease, cancer and obesity.

Australian adults need two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables a day to get the vitamins and nutrients they need. The most recent National Health Survey found only one in two was eating enough fruit and one in three was getting enough vegetables.

Dietitians Association of Australia figures show that one in 10 Australian cancer cases can be linked to inadequate fruit and vegetable consumption. Eating more can help reduce high cholesterol, reduce the risk of blocked arteries and lower blood pressure.

"Eating more fruit and vegetables may be the single most important dietary change needed to reduce the risk of chronic disease, including heart disease, some cancers, diabetes and stroke," Go For 2 & 5 national project officer Christina Pollard said.

"Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption by just one serve would save the Australian health care system about $157 million a year for heart disease alone."

Nutritionists attribute poor consumption in city areas to the fact that we cook less at home. In remote communities, cost and availability are key issues.

Grafton mother-of-two Sue Torrens recently began caring for three Koori foster children aged two, four and six. She had always encouraged her own children to eat fresh food, but the extra mouths to feed meant her grocery budget was stretched.

For just $5 each week she joined Bulgarr Ngaru's fruit program and now receives a box of fresh fruit and vegies each week. One child's boils have disappeared and another's hearing has improved.

"Because of the financial help, I've been able to get extra things like kiwifruit whereas before I could only get apples, oranges and bananas," she said.

"We had a bit of a fight at the beginning to get the fruit into them, but we make fruit salad every night and they love it."

Source: The Sun-Herald

Default Re: FRUIT for health

Sounds good.

This evening a good friend called at my door but couldn't stop, except to hand me a gift of a bag containing half a very large rock melon! I decided to include it with my breakfast in the morning, but decided to have a small portion as soon as I closed the door. It was quite delicious, cool, juicy, sweet, and I am now thinking about how much I'll enjoy my breakfast tomorrow.
    Eve

MMMmmm I'v been having rockmelon, mango, blueberries and raspberries, all together

Antny

I guess the best way to ensure that you always have fruit at home is to keep some frozen fruits and berries. You can always throw them in a blender with some orange juice and/or soymilk and have a delicious chilled smoothie. No more excuses now. Easy, easy.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

mango woman

I think in general i eat more fruits than veggies. I'm trying to even it out though. I wish there was a program like the one mentioned above where I could get fresh fruits and veggies delivered to my door! That would be soooooooooooo cool.

Quote kriz
    I guess the best way to ensure that you always have fruit at home is to keep some frozen fruits and berries. You can always throw them in a blender with some orange juice and/or soymilk and have a delicious chilled smoothie. No more excuses now. Easy, easy.
    This is exactly what I do! I freeze them in season and then make smoothies in the winter.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

i wish it was summer here, i miss all the summer fruits... but at least where i live it's easy to get friut all year round, and winter offers fruits of its own... but rockmelon, is that what it's called, it sounds delish, i don't think i've ever had it...is it something native to australia?
    Peace Love Surf.

Rockmelon Canteloupe

have a look at this thread T H R E A D

theashleybeyer, I don't get fruit delivered, it was simply a neighbour/friend who bought a large rock melon, and decided to cut it in half to share with me. We sometimes do things like that. Earlier this week when I bought some hydroponic tomatoes that were simply huge, I gave him one as they were so tasty. Sometimes when I make homas, I fill a glass jar and pass it to another friend who often gives me pot plants. These are the things that make life pleasant.
    Eve

oh eve, that sounds so nice i hope i have friends like that, that i can do that with, one day
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote abrennan
    Rockmelon Canteloupe

have a look at this thread T H R E A D
    o i see! I've had that before, lol, silly me
    Peace Love Surf.