Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Marks and Spencer's vegan list

Default Re: Marks and Spencer's vegan list

Firestorm it's good to know those jelly bean eggs are vegan, but I wish M&S had bothered to even mark them vegetarian on the packet itself. I will see if there are any left at my local.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this about jelly bean eggs before? I just put vegan jellybeans on my "things I have to buy when we're in America" list.

Don't do it! They're 3 for the price of 2, so naturally I bought 3 packets a couple of days ago. Only one remains!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

They are now doing the Jelly Beans Eggs as actual beans in a jar (I think they have a new range out - Magical Grown your own money jelly beans - Vegan, some mints in a jar and miraculous hair restoring liquorice comfits - not vegan).

I bought a jar of beans for my friend's birthday. I also bought 3 more bags of jelly bean eggs for me. If I could go back in time and undiscover that they existed I think I would, apparently I have no willpower in stopping eating them!

I went to M&S today and saw some great looking (hopefully) vegan food: Spiced Red Lentil Patties with green beans, roasted butternut squash, pomegranate and pine nuts; Mexican Chilli Bean with sweet potato, sweetcorn, black turtle and kidney beans; Super Wholefood salad with Blueberries and Mango; 4 Currant buns; 2 Soft and spiced iced buns. Only the Superfood salad and the currant buns are on the June Vegan list, but the others all seem Vegan as well (probably best to double check though).

thanks for the shopping list, Firestorm!

I bought the jelly beans in the jar, they're amazing! Thanks for the tip
    Houmous atá ann!

Bit of a weird one, I saw some "Iced & Spiced" buns in M&S, they dont have any animal ingredients listed, but are made in a factory where milk is used. They are not on the Vegan list so I emailed the company to see if they are suitable and they said:

"Having spoken to our buying team, I can confirm we do not recommend these for vegans as they are produced in a factory which uses cow's milk ingredients."

I'm still going to consider them vegan though?

I can confirm we do not recommend these for vegans
    I hate it when people confirm negatives like that. I've seen it several times from companies recently and am beginning to think it's an idea thought up by some stupid market research company in order to try and make all statements sound positive.

I take if your question to them wasn't "Please can you tell me if you do not recommend these for vegans?"

^ :-D

Yes, also seeing it being brandished about recently. Rubbish. "I don't give a flying funky monkey what you 'recommend', is it suitable for vegans to consume or not?".

I don't often get replies to my emails

I hadn't really looked at it like that, but I think you're right Risker.

Quote Risker View Post
    I take if your question to them wasn't "Please can you tell me if you do not recommend these for vegans?"
    No it was "Are your Iced & Spiced Buns suitable for vegans?"

Quote Gwydion View Post
    ^ :-D
    Yes, also seeing it being brandished about recently. Rubbish. "I don't give a flying funky monkey what you 'recommend', is it suitable for vegans to consume or not?".
    I don't often get replies to my emails
    I love reading some of the posts on this forum, this made me smile for the first time in days.

M&S have an "Extremely Clever" Coronation Chiken starter which is vegan and really good. You just add it to vegan mayo or yoghurt (I used blended silken tofu instead - about 25g starter and 15g tofu) and then mix in soya chikin.

M&S have a few new products that appear vegan:

I just picked up this new list. FYI as they changed the URL from before.

http://health.marksandspencer.com/up...pdfs/vegan.pdf

Quote Firestorm View Post
    M&S have a few new products that appear vegan:

These look fantastic! Might pop in this week and have a look!

Thanks for your post Firestorm. Always great to see pictures so we know what we're looking for!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I just had the new oriental rice balls sushi snack pack from M&S, it was only €2.20 for 8 flavoured rice balls which is great for sushi, and the flavours are really nice and unusual; tamarind & tomato, beetroot & wasabi, coconut & red pepper and Asian style pesto. Recommended
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I just had the new oriental rice balls sushi snack pack from M&S, it was only €2.20 for 8 flavoured rice balls which is great for sushi, and the flavours are really nice and unusual; tamarind & tomato, beetroot & wasabi, coconut & red pepper and Asian style pesto. Recommended
    Ooh they sound so good! I'm going to pop in tomorrow, armed with the vegan list, and see what goodies I can pick up!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

I had them a while ago, they are brilliant!

I'm just after trying them - not bad at all!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Mmmm, sushi

Couldn't find anything fun in our M&S at the weekend - and we have a fairly large branch! I think it might mean a trip to one of huge branches, like Hove.
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

They also have a new soya milk (it could just be their old soya milk in a bigger carton, but the ingredients look a bit different).

Not sure if there has been a thread about this, but I want to have a grumble and it is specifically directed at M&S. Their new Veggie Percy Pigs. SO NEAR! and yet so far! Read through ingredients - all fine, all fine, all... OH NO! Glazing agent: beeswax.

I started wailing at my Mum from the queue, poor thing

I've sent them an email (as is my wont) to that effect, but in a more professional, polite manner.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins View Post
    I've sent them an email (as is my wont) to that effect, but in a more professional, polite manner.
    I might have to try this approach in future, generally when I send an email like this (these are mostly to transport companies - Numbskull Rail and Muppetrail (also know as Northern Rail and Merseyrail)) I rant and rave like a 5 year old. My last comment to Northern rail was "Do you set out to be this incompetent or is it sheer dumb luck?"

I found the beeswax very disappointing as well but have lost all hope that one day they will take it out

Quote Firestorm
    My last comment to Northern rail was "Do you set out to be this incompetent or is it sheer dumb luck?"
    Haha, that just made me laugh out loud! Did you get a reply?
    Houmous atá ann!

Not yet, but they have another 18 days to get back to me (they allow 20 days to reply to complaints).

Quote Firestorm
    Not yet, but they have another 18 days to get back to me (they allow 20 days to reply to complaints).
    Well let us know what they say!
    Houmous atá ann!

Well, I got a swift response, but a stock response. A response, nevertheless!

Dear ********

Thank you for contacting us about our Percy Pig range. I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed there are no products suitable for vegans.

We know that the best way of improving our products and services is to listen to the experiences, comments and criticisms that our customers make, so we are very grateful for you taking the time to send us your suggestion.

Rest assured, I've logged your comments on our system and have forwarded the details to our Food Buying team. They'll be sure to look into this further, in order to assess whether it would be possible to introduce a vegan Percy Pig in the future.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Well let us know what they say!
    I've posted the reply in the What I'm Thinking thread

M&S have a few new Vegan products in their lunch range (both are on Vegan list as well)

Asian Slaw & Mango Rice Salad With Edamame Bean Dip

Paprika Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Rice Salad

Well spotted, Firestorm! Have you tried them yet?

Not yet, they both have rather long ingredient lists, nothing jumped out as being non-vegan (milk, honey, meat) but I wanted to check the vegan list first to make sure. I will be trying the paprika rice salad first as it looked the nicest.

Tried the Asian Slaw & Mango Rice Salad With Edamame Bean Dip today - it was really nice, very refreshing (would be good in summer):

M&S have also just started selling Batemans Mocha beer which is my favourite beer!

Paprika Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Rice Salad
    I tried this today. It was great, especially since the Vegan Sandwiches in Boots have vanished

M&S have 2 new flavour crisps - Fish & Chip Flavour and Beef Burger Flavour - both appear vegan:

You're a hero, Firestorm. Also glad to see M&S believes it's time to prepare for a Great British Summer, unless that's irony?

Quote harpy View Post
    You're a hero, Firestorm. Also glad to see M&S believes it's time to prepare for a Great British Summer, unless that's irony?
    I've got a feeling its going to be more a Great British Downpour!

Oh well - at least we'll have seasonal crisps

I had a quick look through the product information for the bakery today.

*Baguettes and half baguettes are vegan.

*'French white boule' I'm pretty sure are vegan (shelf edge label product code 556293)

*Old fashioned stoneground white loaves I'm pretty sure are vegan (shelf edge label product code 820370 (800g) 820301 (400g))

Old fashioned stoneground wholemeal loves say they are vegan in the book but they contain honey!

So, if you check with the baker make sure you also ask if they contain honey as some products don't seem to take account of this when they say vegan or not.

I'll check the boule and white loves when I get a chance to make sure.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Okay, had a better look, the following items are vegan;

White Farmhouse loaf 400g 820301
    French white boule 556293
    White bloomer 600g 923446
    French country loaf 294249
    Walnut loaf 294256
    Sesame & Poppy seed crown 510776
    French Stonebaked pave 557481
    Ciabatta 612906
    Plain pretzel 817349
    German style rye loaf 819350

that's not to say nothing else is.

Was in M&S today, they have started labelling more of their stuff vegan - such as the new range of dips/houmous. The Piri Piri houmous is lovely.

They also have 2 Summerfruit Puddings With Prosecco Rose, labelled as Vegetarian but on the Vegan list. If they still have some tomorrow I might grab some

M&S have 2 new flavour crisps - Fish & Chip Flavour and Beef Burger Flavour - both appear vegan:

I was looking forward to trying the fish and chips ones being a fan of other fish flavoured crisps but was disappointed. Too bland, more realistic I suppose. The burger ones I just had were a surprise though, really nice, kinda burned flavour.

Quote Risker View Post
    I was looking forward to trying the fish and chips ones being a fan of other fish flavoured crisps but was disappointed. Too bland, more realistic I suppose.
    I am wondering how the fish and chips flavours can be combined into one? Is it supposes to just taste like batter?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Risker View Post
    I was looking forward to trying the fish and chips ones being a fan of other fish flavoured crisps but was disappointed
    I agree, I far preferred the Burger ones. Quite a few people I've spoken to agree as well and this blogger http://veggies.co.uk/2013/04/12/ms-b...summer-crisps/

Dunno if they're new but there's hand cooked spicy tomato flavour and hand cooked prawn cocktail flavour crisps that are vegan.

Problem is that the spicy tomato flavour ones are actually on the vegan list as bloody mary flavoured which means that they changed the name in order to avoid complaints from imbeciles. Shame on them.