Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marks and Spencer's vegan list

sugarmouse

Default Re: Marks and Spencer's Vegan List

Quote Mr Flibble
    They are little bits of cardboard with flavouring on. They come in overpriced/undersized bags in the cracker section.
    lol mr flibble do you mean the type which are like mini ryvitas? i have tried a few dfferent brands of these in a bid to find something not to calorific to snack on and iagree they taste like cardboard with seasoning on!theyre minging!

Quote M&S
    Dear Miss Edwards,
    Thank you for your email.
    I have looked through our list of M&S food that is suitable for vegans
    and found there to be some discrepancies within the list.

We try to update these lists regularly and take great care over its
    accuracy. We do recommend, however, that you take the extra precaution
    of double-checking the ingredient list on the back panel of our
    packaging. However it seems we have not done this on this occasion.

It's obvious that there has been a problem here and I'm sorry we have
    let you down in this way. When something goes wrong, we are always keen
    to hear about it so that we can put things right. I have already
    reported this to our team who create these lists. I can assure you that
    they will look thoroughly into what has gone wrong here and do
    everything they can to prevent another problem like this, thank you for
    letting us know.

Please feel free to get in touch again if you need an updated list or if
    we can help in any other way.

Kind regards,
    Rhian Jones
    Retail Customer Advisor - Food Team
    I thought I'd stand up and be counted, so to speak. I particularly like the blue paragraph. It's funny to think of M&S creating these lists on the strength of a non-vegan M&S employee checking the backs of the packets Well, or not.

They updated their list

"UPDATED: 7th June 2006
    Vegan
    PLEASE NOTE: This list was correct on the day of printing. However, recipes may change from time to time and
    therefore, we advise that you check the ingredient list on the product at the time of purchase."

Vegan list

Haven't *actually* looked at it yet, mind

Cheese and Tomato Pizza - 482189

Also to note:

"Marks & Spencer policy is to minimise our use of warning or advisory labelling, "
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Hmm .. Looks better. And if it's true then they have a very comprehensive range. However, there are a couple of deeply suspicious entries which makes me doubt all of it. Call me suspicious minded..

Page 5
    Salami Selection
    Page 11
    Cheese and Tomato Square Pizza

I will write to them myself in the next day or so as this is just pathetic. It took me 2 minutes to peruse that list. Does someone who actually gets paid for it really take that little time to check it out?

*sigh*
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Yeh, a few minutes of scanning is all it takes to spot serious errors! As well as pizza and salami there's:

'organic pumpkin seed and honey loaf' on p2

I'm trying to compile a list for my mum to give to her brother, who gets her veggie food from m&s when she goes to visit him. She was telling me that she wants to be (more) vegan and so I'm trying to make it easy for them

Well, I've written them a nice letter (nicer than the previous )

Whose up for contacting the media with me?

I think I shall wait for my reply first

I don't know if it's worth contacting the media though - at least they are trying! Isn't it Sainbury's who doesn't even bother to update theirs anymore? But I do agree, it didn't take long to check, although I have to say I didn't spot anything other than the cheese & tomato pizza

veggiewoman

I noticed with their dairy free spread that I buy (its very yummy btw ,my fav vegan spread available), that recenlty they put on it suitable for vegans , where before (just couple of months ago) it would just say suitable for vegetarians.

that's a good start - i'd much rather the word 'vegan' was actually on the label, rather than having to trawl through a long list of supposedly vegan products, and then still have to check the label before buying it anyway.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i've just had a look at that new M&S 'vegan' list and i noticed on the first page they say "Wherever we can, we provide choices within our ranges for customers who wish to avoid particular ingredients"

that's just not true. they don't seem to have any vegan sandwiches, but they do flavours which could quite easily be vegan if they just left the milk/cheese or egg out. they use egg pasta in all their pasta salads when they don't need to. they put honey in numerous things that would otherwise be vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    i've just had a look at that new M&S 'vegan' list and i noticed on the first page they say "Wherever we can, we provide choices within our ranges for customers who wish to avoid particular ingredients"

that's just not true. they don't seem to have any vegan sandwiches, but they do flavours which could quite easily be vegan if they just left the milk/cheese or egg out. they use egg pasta in all their pasta salads when they don't need to. they put honey in numerous things that would otherwise be vegan.
    Their sandwiches are so annoying!
    I seem to remember the last time I went in seeing a few and getting excited because they sounded vegan- but they'de put animal ingredients in for no apparent reason.
    Like butter in a houmous sandwich- if they dont want to use an alternative, I'd be fine just having houmous in it!

exactly. i saw an avocado and roasted veg sandwich in M&S and thought it could be ok, but for some reason they'd put cheese or something in it.

I've been looking through the vegan list again and there are a couple of other things that aren't vegan too. Butter is mentioned in the veg section and there's something else with honey in it too.

Yes, would definitely be good to see more vegan sandwiches. It'd also be pretty good if vegan sandwiches weren't ALL hummus. What if you're not in a hummus mood?!

I know I'm feeling a little bit anti M&S at the moment, but at least they do quite a few vegan salad pots as sandwich alternatives (like the lentil & aubergine one).

Just checked my email :

Dear Miss Edwards,

Thank you for your email. I'm so sorry about the products added to the
    Vegan list in error, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I
    have passed the incorrect products on to our administration team so that
    they can update it

These products have been added to the list due to mistakes in data
    inputting, I really do apologise. We do our best to make sure that all
    the products listed are correct as we understand the importance of our
    allergy and suitable lists. We do advise on our lists that you always
    check the ingredients on the product at the time of purchase to prevent
    any unsuitable consumption.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us and I can assure you our
    list will be updated as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Shelley Evans

Marks & Spencer, Retail Customer Service
    Telephone: 0845 302 1234
    E-mail: RetailCustomer.services@marks-and-spencer.com

Quote Cherry
    I know I'm feeling a little bit anti M&S at the moment, but at least they do quite a few vegan salad pots as sandwich alternatives (like the lentil & aubergine one).
    i like that one too at least their response was polite and (hopefully) helpful...!

Yeh

Mmmm. I love aubergines

I wrote back and said thanks, but that I was concerned that they were only updating errors in titles, and not in ingredients. I also pointed out that reading the labels, as suggested, wasn't always helpful because of ingredients that could be animal or plant derived, and that that was why accurate lists and labelling was really helpful. I hope they start labelling things like the coop do.

i cant see the list

There's a new list on their site dated 12th Oct. A quick review of it has shown the following:

Honey Roast Wiltshire Ham 150g
    Crunchy Red Cabbage And Sweetcorn Salad With Honey & Mustard Dressing
    Veg With Butter - Autumn Vegetables With Lemon & Thyme Dressing

back to the emails again.... sigh.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I wonder why they bother, really!! They have these problems EVERY time...

You wonder how some people get these jobs?

Quote lozza View Post
    i cant see the list
    Look here.

Quote sandra View Post
    I'm beginning to think that they are actually doing it on purpose, for some kind of 'joke'.

Honey Roast Ham !!!

My email was pretty blunt, so hopefully it will provoke a response beyond "we value your input... blah blah blah... and will look into this... blah blah."

I'm glad your email was blunt, these people need to be made aware that this isn't funny [if they were meaning it as a sick joke]. If it wasn't a joke then they are very uneducated in these matters and should receive more training before being allowed to compile a 'suitable for vegan' list.
    Oh dear, I'm all hot and bothered now!

The conversation continues... They said:

"Thank you for your e-mail.
    I am sorry that you have found errors with our vegan list.
    Can I just clarify that the items you listed, are not suitable for
    vegans? So that I can feedback this information to the relevant
    departments."

A stupid response I think. I have pointed out that "Honey Roast Ham" is a bit obvious, directed them to the Vegan Society site and indicated that they clearly don't care at all about this list.
    Let's see what they say next.

So, it looks like they are relying on vegans contacting them and telling them what is wrong with their list. Shouldn't they have consulted at least 1 vegan before making the list?
    This has me worried as I'm always writing to companies asking if certain products are suitable for vegans. How can I be sure they know what they are talking about now?

Has anyone tried calling them?

Sandra I think the only thing we can do is avoid processed foods as much as possible, read labels like mad and contact companies in case of doubt. I make everything from scratch and never look at labels anyway to see if it says "suitable for vegetarians". Hardly any foods here carry that kind of labelling, it's just quicker to check the ingredients list. It is disheartening though, finding HAM on a vegan friendly list !!!!!

Sandra well done on you for contacting companies to ask. I have to confess that I just read the labels and cross my fingers! Anyway if you are worried, perhaps you should include a paragraph in your letters with the definition of vegan and the main things to watch out for that aren't obvious (e numbers, sources of things that could be either way, refined sugar bone char etc), so that they can see what you are looking for exactly, or if they know for sure they will just skim over that bit and tell you.

I always put in details of what a vegan is when I'm contacting places, that's usually emailing restaurants or hotels.

Quote sandra View Post
    I bet if it's some poor git having to just look through every item they sell... I bet after a while, they can't see the wood for the trees?

Although 'honey roast ham'.... that's a funny way of handing your notice in!

(shamelessly stolen from Joe Pasquale!)

The honey roast ham is listed under 'savoury snacks' , Could it not be just a poor description for some honey roast ham flavoured snack?

EDIT: Yup, found it, they are crisps - http://www.snackspot.org.uk/thread.p...=0505152312cas

The reviews of them here say that they're vegetarian but not vegan but then the reviews are over a year old. http://www.ciao.co.uk/Marks_Spenser_...risps__5613329

Equally, it's possible that the salad dressing is just honey flavoured and that the butter on the vegetables isn't real butter.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I just don't know what to think anymore! I remember writing to a cosmetic company about the fact that they used silk in their face powder and they wrote back saying, that no silk worm was harmed because of it! How do they make that out?
    I've written to Marks and Spencer about a few of their food items before, they assured me they were vegan, I hope they gave me the correct information.

Quote Risker View Post
    The honey roast ham is listed under 'savoury snacks' , Could it not be just a poor description for some honey roast ham flavoured snack?
    Hmm - I hadn't spotted that. Interesting. I wonder if they'll notice themselves.

Quote Risker View Post
    Equally, it's possible that the salad dressing is just honey flavoured and that the butter on the vegetables isn't real butter.
    Yes, I did think of that too. However, I pointed out to them that it does make us suspicous when they have made such obvious glaring errors.

OK. so update.. I've checked the new list today and all the offending items (including the honey roast ham snacks) seem to have been removed.
    In fact , I've had a quick look through it and can't see anything that is unlikely to be vegan. Hooray ! They seem to have made an effort !
    There are some nice sounding salads, soups, indian snacks etc on there.
    Plus bread, humous etc. I may even try there for my next "lunch out" - brandishing my list as I go.
    I will (however) still be reading the ingredients before I buy anything (as always).

I'd be very impressed if Blueberry Meringue (listed before Butter Puffs) is vegan. Will check it out in town tomorrow

I thought I'd noticed another blooper when I saw Organic Minced Meat on the list, until I figured it was the stuff from mince pies (I hope!).

There are some yummy sounding things on there - I'm definitely going to investigate M&S more, I never do food shopping there. The list says that Iced Doughnuts (from the instore bakery) are vegan; I'll have to check that out.

Quote macbeth View Post
    ... The list says that Iced Doughnuts (from the instore bakery) are vegan; I'll have to check that out.
    I really hope that's true. I miss the jam doughnuts and can't understand why they decided to add milk - there was nothing wrong with the vegan recipe!

M & S always seem to be massively overpriced and have a poor vegan selection anyway, I much prefer to avoid it!

I dont buy much there but noticed their mushroom nutroast is atcually vegan as the non vegan sauce is in a pack away from the roast (but doubt il be buying it)

There was also a savoury vegetable rice dish that was vegan.

I had a look in the cafe area as there was a folder with allergy info in - this does now include vegans! the only thing that was ok was tomato and basil soup.

I spent some time chatting to the member of staff as she said to me - vegan thats a fish eating vegetarian i have explained correctly what a vegan is!

disturbed

Quote Mark Anthon View Post
    M & S always seem to be massively overpriced and have a poor vegan selection anyway, I much prefer to avoid it!
    Agreed, but one exception. Reduced Fat Houmous 300g - £1.35 (45p/100g). I can't stop myself from finishing the whole tub

I love that too! They do a wee pasta shell salad thing which is nice. I don't mind paying a little extra for something nice once in a while but I wouldn't shop there for the weeks shopping! Their salads and fruit are always so much fresher and nicer than other places.

Quote Akala View Post
    Agreed, but one exception. Reduced Fat Houmous 300g - £1.35 (45p/100g). I can't stop myself from finishing the whole tub

OMG I'm not alone!!! but yes ,apart from this,generally I hate M&S because practically everything they sell is unsuitable.
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

I finally went and bought some of this stuff to try out yesterday.
    So far I've tried:
    Peanut Brittle ( V. Nice - not too hard)
    Caramelised Hazelnut And Peanut Bar (OK)
    Smokey Bacon Potato Triangles 90g - Eat Well (Salty but nice).

Mmmm. I love smokey bacon crisps. I was convinced that one of the supermarkets did frazzles-style ones that were vegan, but it seems they don't

Cumin, I can't thank you enough for telling us about the peanut brittle. I got some and ate the whole lot in 5 minutes...........it's gorgeous, thank you!!!!

Quote sandra View Post
    Cumin, I can't thank you enough for telling us about the peanut brittle. I got some and ate the whole lot in 5 minutes...........it's gorgeous, thank you!!!!
    You are very welcome. It is kind-of yummy isn't it. Not too brittle (to break old teeth) and not too sweet.

Yes, it is yummy! You are right too about not breaking 'old teeth' I got some for my mother in law, she's 84 and she loved it too.........I'll have her a vegan yet!

I did have a look yesterday without the list found some other items too like soups well tom and basil, a savoury vege rice, and some of the salads are nice there.

Parents got £30 in vouchers to spend on food there so im printing off the list for them as mum says she wants to try the vegan items so i can have a share

Have they got an up to date wine list out anyone know?

No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.