Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marks and Spencer's vegan list

Default Re: Marks and Spencer's Vegan List

mmm... doughnuts...

Thanks for posting that, spudaddict. (might give the 125 year old rhubarb and custards a miss, though an ambient celebration sounds intriguing )

Quote Risker View Post
    mmm... doughnuts...
    Risker are the doughnuts on the M&S list?

I can't find them and the excitement of evening thinking they might have doughnuts is just getting too much!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

p19, Isb Iced Doughnuts (baked) - no idea what Isb is but how bad can it be

Thanks Harpy! I was looking for jam doughnuts hence couldn't find them. Iced ones will do just fine though!

p.s. I've just discovered ISB must stand for In Store Bakery.

That figures!

Not real name!

I'm curious as to how accurate that list is. We've just been to M&S armed with the list stored on my phone. By doing a search I was able to quickly find out what was vegan.

Interestingly though, their fancy mushroom and risotto wasn't on there despite only containing mushrooms and rice.

That wasn't the only thing either. There were at least ten items that were almost certainly vegan that weren't listed. Not that it really matters much. We only go when we have vouchers to spend. They're waaaaay over-priced.

I would be surprised if these lists were ever comprehensive (or 100% accurate about the items that are on them) as supermarkets are always introducing and discontinuing lines, and also the ingredients of existing products. So I think the lists are best regarded as a starting point, and that it's still worth checking ingredients lists too.

Also not sure about M&S line on cross-contamination - would they list risotto as vegan if it was produced in the vicinity of a non-vegan product?

Quote sandra View Post
    p.s. I've just discovered ISB must stand for In Store Bakery.
    Doh! Didn't notice it said that, that usually means that the ingredients won't be marked on the product, not sure if I want to buy mystery doughnuts...

I might email them and ask if they always use the same ingredients for the instore doughnuts or do they stray from the ingredients.

I went in search of them today and they had all sold out!

Went in our local M&S today, they mark the ingredients on the self edge label next to the price so that's good. They didn't have any doughnuts in ours though and all the ones they didn't have stated that they contained milk.

My husband went especially early this morning and got me 4 pink iced doughnuts from M&S but I don't want to eat them!

I will go in to the store today and ask at the bakery about them and check what the ingredients are.
    The doughnuts are sitting looking at me now, all pink with sprinkles.............I wish they hadn't been on the vegan list in the first place, as I would never have even considered buying them. They shouldn't have them on a vegan list if some of the instore bakeries stray from the list of ingredients and use milk etc!

Part of the problem is that places like M&S usually do n different types of doughnut, so without seeing the ingredients list it's hard to be sure you and they are talking about the same type - sigh! For example I see the vegan-list ones are called "Isb Iced Doughnuts (baked)" - might there be a non-baked variety because ISTR that doughnuts are traditionally deep-fried? (Must stop thinking about doughnuts!)

I think there was a label for pink iced doughnuts in my local M&S (of which none were vegan) so...

Thanks Harpy and Risker!

So, I won't be eating them then ...............hubby can have them!

I will email M&S and ask them which doughnuts they are referring to in their vegan list.............it's all a little too ambiguous!

Just had a quick skim and saw "Jelly Belly Sours" listed - if they're THE Jelly Belly (and I'm assuming for legal trademark reasons they'd have to be), they're definitely not vegan as they're glazed with E901 and E904 - beeswax and shellac. There's the old debate that crops up whether they are or aren't vegan, but as far as I'm concerned it's a definite no. A vegan who knows what they're looking for would avoid these things, but still...
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

Quote MrWizzle View Post
    There's the old debate that crops up whether they are or aren't vegan, but as far as I'm concerned it's a definite no.
    Agreed, and it would be against the FSA guidelines on what constitutes vegan food. http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/...iguidancenotes

(I think the present government is reorganising the FSA, but they're still good guidelines!)

Just had a quick look at the Jelly Belly website, and here are the ingredients for the Sour mix:

10 Flavour Sour Mix
    Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Modified Cornstarch, Acidity Regulators: E297, E325, E330, E331, Apple Juice Concentrate, Strawberry Puree, Blueberry Puree, Grape Juice Concentrate, Lemon Puree, Cherry Juice Concentrate, Raspberry Puree, Peach Puree Concentrate, Orange Puree, Natural And Artificial Flavourings, Colours: E100, E102 [Tartrazine], E110, E129, E132, E133, E150d, E171, Glazing Agents: E901, E903, E904 (my bold)

So that's a wrong entry, then!
    Last edited by pusskins; Jan 5th, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Highlighting e numbers
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

All this begs the question..........is sending an email to the company any better? If they can't get a list correct they might give out the wrong information in an email too?
    I'm starting to get really paranoid about lists and ingredients.

Default Re: Marks and Spencer's vegan list

But if we don't email them and point out where they are going wrong, then nobody would be any the wiser. I think it is important to let them know that, whilst it's brilliant that they do provide vegan lists and/or labelling, they need to make sure they are 100% accurate!

And sandra - I still check labels of large brand goods even though they might be labelled as vegan! Good thing I do, as I see that Fry Light label their caesar salad dressing as vegan, and there is egg in it!

I agree, I send quite a few emails every week to companies but what I mean is...............if they can get a list wrong, a list they are publishing for all to see how do we know that an individual answering an email will have the correct information?

I ALWAYS email a company when I am in any doubt but the fact that a company like M&S can get a vegan list so wrong just makes me doubt any information I may get in the future from any company, whether it's a published list or an email!

Quote sandra View Post
    I agree, I send quite a few emails every week to companies but what I mean is...............if they can get a list wrong, a list they are publishing for all to see how do we know that an individual answering an email will have the correct information?
    I had to email back M&S recently as they did (finally) reply to my query about their soya milk, which I posted about on here. My original query was asking about the vitamin D which is in the soya milk:

Dear *****

Thanks for your email regarding whether our Soya Milk is suitable for vegans.

I have found one such item on our system, product code 00387071. I can confirm that this product is suitable for vegans. If it is a different product you are referring to, please let us know of the product code and we would be happy to check whether it is suitable for you.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards, Jolene
    Jolene Heyes
    Retail Customer Services
    Your M&S Customer Service

But it wasn't on their previous vegan list and isn't on this current vegan list. So, I emailed them straight back, reiterating about the vitamin D issue. As yet, I haven't heard back but it was just before Christmas so I'll shall be patient! Like you, I just keep bashing off emails and phoning up!

That is so frustrating isn't it?
    I hate it when they don't quite get what you are asking and then ramble on about something that's not relevant. I have sent M&S an email this morning but goodness knows when I'll get a reply.

I was in the store yesterday with my little printed out page from their list and when I asked an assistant about where I could find the vegetable chop suey, she looked at me as if I'd just landed!! When I explained it was on the stores vegan list she looked even more vague and scuttled off muttering something about not every store having the same things!
    I was tempted to run after her but managed to remain calm.

Mind you, writing those e-mails is an opportunity to educate the people who answer them a bit isn't it? Regardless of their level of seniority, a lot of people haven't encountered the stuff about not eating honey and so on before, and they sometimes pay attention when you tell them.

I bet some of them don't like the idea of insect secretions in or on their jelly beans either.

leedsveg

Quote sandra View Post
    I ALWAYS email a company when I am in any doubt but the fact that a company like M&S can get a vegan list so wrong just makes me doubt any information I may get in the future from any company, whether it's a published list or an email!
    So much for having the backing of St Michael...

lv

^ lol

I have just received this email from them but to be honest I'm even more confused!

'Thank you for taking the time to contact us, and for your interest in our vegan products.
    I have checked our systems here, and can advise you that our ISB (in store bakery) doughnuts are not suitable for vegans, with the exception of our ISB Iced ring doughnuts (prod code 00471985).
    As you may be aware, our allergy and intolerance lists have recently been removed from our website to be updated. I can assure you we plan to have them back online as soon as possible.
    I am sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience this may cause, and that I am unable to offer you further advice.
    Kind regards
    Richard Turner
    Customer Service Adviser
    Retail Customer Services
    Your M&S Customer Service'

Hmm, that actually agrees with their list doesn't it?

The product code might be a good thing to have as the in-store staff ought to be able to identify whether they have that product or not. Plus a product code is likely to be less ambiguous than a description.

I'll go in next time armed with the product code and see if that helps.
    It is puzzling though as they only seem to sell one iced doughnut anyway and I think Risker said it listed 'milk' in the ingredients.

I IM'd my husband at work the other day when I first read this thread and he ran excitedly over to M&S only to find the doughnuts that he could find all listed milk as an ingredient. Probably just as well! So I made a banana bread instead

Quote sandra View Post
    It is puzzling though as they only seem to sell one iced doughnut anyway and I think Risker said it listed 'milk' in the ingredients.
    There are two described as iced on this list (which doesn't include the product codes ) http://health.marksandspencer.com/up..._nutrition.pdf but it's probably true that they don't carry all their lines in every store.

Looks like my branch only has one kind of iced doughnut!
    I'll go in tomorrow and ask about the product code and ingredients and see what happens.

You could try asking if they could get the vegan one for you if they don't have it - no harm in asking! Although it would be annoying if they got it and it turned out not to be really vegan...

has anyone seen the iced spiced buns in the food to go bit? i saw them at the m&s at tamworth services the other week but didnt have time to google all the ingredients... they looked vegan on a quick inspection (or the ingredients)

eta: im checking my list instore tomorrow

Chocolate & Orange Panettone 514088
    Citrus Fruit Slices 582827
    Summerfruit Pudding (large Sharing) 668668
    2 Strawberry & Champagne Souffles Seasonal Dine In 712194
    2 Summerfruit Puddings With Prosecco Rose 16155
    Oriental Mushroom Puffs 685221
    Ufo Peaches 990301
    Isb Iced Doughnuts (baked) 471985
    Isb Baked Pretzel (ew) 499057

Not so exciting as those desserts, admittedly but M&S do manage to make their salads and snack pots really tasty. I did all of last week's shopping there, and again this week. The super shaker salads are lush, I'm addicted to the rice, lentil and aubergine snack pots, and their spiced butternut squash soup is one of the best soups I've ever tried! For the first time in months, I'm eating quite healthily so a big thumbs up to M&S

I went into a store this week to look at these donuts. Didn't see any, but I did see a veggie wrap in the sandwiches section which looked promising. All veggy, and no allergen info about dairy, eggs or honey. I couldn't see anything in the ingredients which would make it non-vegan.
    Has anyone else seen this and checked it out yet?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Their 'large vegetable samosa' is handy for lunch or a snack when out and about. It's with the sandwiches and cost £1.25 the last time I was in there.

^ It's amazingly gorgeous and should be nominated for an award or something!

Is that samosa suitable for vegans? It's written on the packet that it's suitable for vegetarians but what if they fry it in the same oil they fry meat samosas in?

IMO, that wouldn't make it non-vegan so I'm happy to take that chance. But we all draw the line in different places, and if it worries you then the easiest thing to do is email them to ask, so you can put your mind at rest

I have a list from Asda, Sainsbury and Tesco but don't know how to post an attachment as theyre in a pdf and not on the internet... Im sure they may be of use to people Also waitrose are brilliant and will send out but don't have a computer version.

If anyone can let me know how to post the list without copying it into the text as it will be very long.. Let me know!!

Phie

You can upload them to a service like hotfile or rapidshare then just post the link. I already posted the latest Tesco one in the Tesco thread but would like to see the other two.

M&S have started their own range of soya products. It seems to be advertised more as 'super foods' than veggie/vegan. You may need to look a little harder for it as it's nowhere near the veggie foods in my local.

Anyways, the fresh mince seems to be vegan, however the Soya Strips, Soya Strips in Black Bean Sauce, Soya Lasagne and Soya Shepards Pie are only veggie.....

That's very interesting, bignige. Surprising they didn't make them all vegan while they were at it though.

FYI, The samosa is on the January 2011 M&S vegan list.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Two new M&S soya products. Cumberland sausages, and sausage & mash with onion gravy. I've no idea if either of them are vegan (I can't imagine they will be), I've only seen the ticket and empty space on the shelf where they should be!

On page 23 of the vegan list, I don't quite 'get' Ftg Raw Material - Brie Slices Raw Material? Food to go something?

And their Korma paste? Really?? If so, yay!

One can only speculate! probably just highlights the importance of looking at the ingredients on the pack as well as these lists (though perhaps not necessary for the brie!).

I sent them quite a long, irritable letter last month and apparently everything on their list is indeed Vegan .... I'm not convinced.

Quote MrWizzle View Post
    Just had a quick skim and saw "Jelly Belly Sours" listed - if they're THE Jelly Belly (and I'm assuming for legal trademark reasons they'd have to be), they're definitely not vegan as they're glazed with E901 and E904 - beeswax and shellac. There's the old debate that crops up whether they are or aren't vegan, but as far as I'm concerned it's a definite no. A vegan who knows what they're looking for would avoid these things, but still...
    These could be Marks and Spencers own Jelly Beans, a few weeks ago I found Jelly bean eggs in Marks and Spencer, they contain just 2 E Numbers (E553b and E903 - both listed as vegan on http://www.food-info.net). I emailed M&S and they confirmed they're Vegan, they also did Jelly Hearts for Mothers day. The eggs are in a little green bag and are on offer at the moment (3 for 2 I think).

Hel I have seen packs of 2 iced buns in M&S that looked Vegan, they are in all the M&S's that I have been to. They are with the other iced buns ( I know that sounds stupid) and they are the only Vegan ones I have seen, haven't got round to trying them yet though

Link to updated list: http://health.marksandspencer.com/up...pdfs/vegan.pdf (the only link I could find in this thread was quite old) There are a couple of things that I'm doubtful about still, might do some hunting when at the shop the next time.