Thread: lemon bar recipe?

Question lemon bar recipe?

I got a desperate craving for lemon bars yesterday. Anyone got a good vegan recipe for them?

Thanks!

Quote n0r1
    I got a desperate craving for lemon bars yesterday. Anyone got a good vegan recipe for them?

Thanks!
    what is a lemon bar? I'm interested now that I have a large surplus of lemons. My landlords have three trees and does not use most of them, they just fall on the ground and rot. I usually eat them raw, but I can only eat and drink so many fresh lemons.

Quote phillip888
    what is a lemon bar?
    They're delicious -- non-vegan, but I want to find a good way to veganize them. They're basically a crumbly pastry base, like a thick pastry crust on the bottom of a baking dish, covered with a lemon custard top (lemon, eggs, butter), and powdered sugar on top. Ohh, I'm salivating just thinking about it ... but I need to veganize them!

And, you know what they say -- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade ... you could just throw some sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer) with that on the stove and boil it with some water for a while. Homemade lemonade is the best!

i haven't tried these, but go for it
    lemon bar http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/5894.shtml

this one is a lemon pudding http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/2645.shtml

and here is a lemong cake http://vegweb.com/food/sweets/5752.shtml\

tell me if they are any good!

I will, thanks! They look totally reasonable, unlike another one I found and tried last night, that had all kinds of exotic ingredients (kuzu; agar; brown rice syrup; coconut oil) ...

I'm excited!

ConsciousCuisine

I would love the recipe you found because I just happen to have ALL of those "exotic" ingredients in my stock pantry!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I would love the recipe you found because I just happen to have ALL of those "exotic" ingredients in my stock pantry!
    http://www.two14.com/sage/website/re...cookies.htm#d2

I tried them tonight -- quite good, actually. The crust is a bit stiff, and the cornstart substitution was okay ... but they're lemon bars! You'll have to let me know how they turn out with kuzu & agar.

[QUOTE=n0r1]They're delicious -- non-vegan, but I want to find a good way to veganize them. They're basically a crumbly pastry base, like a thick pastry crust on the bottom of a baking dish, covered with a lemon custard top (lemon, eggs, butter), and powdered sugar on top. Ohh, I'm salivating just thinking about it ... but I need to veganize them!

sounds a bit like lemon meringue pie - oh i miss that very much, my mother-in-law makes a mean one.
    will check out those lemon receipe sites above

Quote cedarblue
    Quote n0r1
    They're delicious -- non-vegan, but I want to find a good way to veganize them. They're basically a crumbly pastry base, like a thick pastry crust on the bottom of a baking dish, covered with a lemon custard top (lemon, eggs, butter), and powdered sugar on top. Ohh, I'm salivating just thinking about it ... but I need to veganize them!
    sounds a bit like lemon meringue pie - oh i miss that very much, my mother-in-law makes a mean one.
    will check out those lemon receipe sites above
    Yeah, they're quite like lemon meringue pie. but with a thicker, tastier crust, and just the lemon curd part, which is often more lemon-y than in pie -- you put zest into the curd. Kind of like a condensed lemon meringue pie (and of course, no meringue). So excellent. I'm going to go eat one now!

[QUOTE=n0r1]Yeah, they're quite like lemon meringue pie. but with a thicker, tastier crust, and just the lemon curd part, which is often more lemon-y than in pie -- you put zest into the curd. Kind of like a condensed lemon meringue pie (and of course, no meringue). So excellent. I'm going to go eat one now! [/QUOTe

those lemon bars on the vegweb site look good, thanks cast the flames.
    i will need to buy some egg replacer first - i never usually use it, but it looks integral to the recipe

i love lemony things

i am going to make some in the next few days

bought the egg replacer and i'm on target to bake it tomorrow!!

tell us how it turns out! i don't use egg replacer either, but i might have to investigate it if these turn out really well...

well its made and looks ok but will have to wait till after dinner tonight to try it....if i CAN wait that is

p.s. the egg replacer i used you dont mix up with water first, it is added dry to the flour so i did have to jiggle the recipe around a little, if it tastes good i will tell you how!

welllllll......it looked good but tasted a bit like uncooked flour, i think the difference definately was in the preparation of the egg replacer - husband ate it though (bless him!)
    will try to source some of the energ replacer, anyone in the uk know who stocks it?