Thread: dry milk powder?

Default dry milk powder?

i've come across many tasty-looking bread machine recipes recently that have dry milk powder in them. does anyone know a good substitute? would some vegan protein powder work? or do i have to dehydrate my own soy milk :\

i use a powdered vegan milk in my coffee, which may work in bread, but i have to say i've never tried it. it's by Taam-Tov, i buy it mail order in the UK but i'm sure it's available in the US

i just leave out the powdered milk, it makes no difference at all to the finished loaves!

thanks guys! ugh, i just made some bread and realized halfway through that i didn't have any spoon measurements (still packed), so i have no idea if the yeast amount is right. oh well!

Quote cedarblue
    i just leave out the powdered milk, it makes no difference at all to the finished loaves!
    The Tassajara Bread Book has powdered milk in their recipes, and they say it's optional. I've been leaving it out since I went vegan (almost two months now!), and it makes the loaves a little denser, but I like that. Not terribly dense, just a bit. I'd be in to finding some vegan powdered milk though ... is that just powdered soy milk?

the powdered vegan 'milk' i use contains: corn syrup, coconut and/or soy bean oils, sucrose, soy protein and some other anti-caking agents etc.

i really don't know what it's like in baking, it's just a suggestion, i only put it in my coffee.

Powdered soy milk is available is natural food stores, etc. It's rather pricy though.

Veganmama

Over here in the same section as milk powder they have a powdered soy milk.

hmmm..i might try and find some dried soy milk and try it in breadmachine - i like the dense loaf consistency for toast but it can make for a cake-y 'tight' slice for a sandwich and i dont like that much