Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: chain restaurant vegan items (USA & Canada)

Exclamation chain restaurant vegan items (USA & Canada)

I've been starting to do research into what items chain restaurants (i.e., Applebee's, Denny's, etc.) have that are "vegan friendly" as my parents like to go out to eat when I visit and I get tired of them saying, "you're too picky, it's impossible for us to go out to eat." I've just started emailing companies (describing, in detail, what a vegan won't eat) and reading up on this, so I thought maybe some of the other members have already found out some information. I also thought it might be nice to know for being "on the road" and not knowing local restaurants (which some of you have mentioned in your area, but chain restaurants might be easier to find).

Here's what I've learned so far:

Appleby's: other than salad, nothing listed as vegan friendly; however, they were willing to work with me and I got a baked potato with steamed veggies and a bit of teriyaki sauce and soy sauce over it. All their rices have meat broth on them.
    Denny's: as far as I can tell, mainly the fruit cup and oatmeal are vegan for breakfast, but you have to request the oatmeal without butter (or they put a big glob on the top); also some of the breads (for toast etc.) are supposed to be OK, but I don't know the specifics; I also put hershey's syrup on my oatmeal. They have a Boca burger, but it has cheese IN it.

Anyone else have any info on common CHAIN RESTAURANTS?
    Last edited by eclectic_one; Apr 7th, 2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: incorrect info
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: chain restaurant vegan items

PF. Changs has a great coconut curry tofu dish.

Dont be fooled by Chili's veggie burger is has egg in it.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote vaderesque
    I've been starting to do research into what items chain restaurants (i.e., Applebee's, Denny's, etc.) have that are "vegan friendly" as my parents like to go out to eat when I visit and I get tired of them saying, "you're too picky, it's impossible for us to go out to eat."
    Join the club! I can't be bothered to go out to eat any more because I always get the same old cardboard like garbage while everyone else has a veritable feast
    My aunt invited me out for lunch and I just said no thanks because I'm bored of the same old baked potato with no butter with plain veg or beans, I can eat better at home for less money. I was tempted to ask her if we could go out and get pissed instead but she is a rabid evangelical christian and wouldn't approve
    Silent but deadly :p

What about Chinese and Indian restaurants. I couldn't care less if people think I'm picky, because I find it's mainly English food that has loads of meat and dairy, so I'm being adventurous!

Most places I go have loads of veggie dishes on the menu and are happy to point out ones without meat/fish stock, butter ghee, cream etc. Even easier if you pick vegetarian, but say you have a dairy and egg allergy.

ewww, burger king

Personally, I don't trust chains, only individual stores. Unless a chain makes a point of all it's stores knowing exactly what vegan is and how to prepare vegan items, just because the food was vegan it doesn't mean the individual store will cook it right.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Found this on a vegan blog, a letter from Romano's macaroni grill (they also warned that their "tomato sauce" contains butter):

Tomato Bruschetta - order with No Cheese
    House or Garden Salad - order with No Cheese or Croutons
    Salad Dressings: Balsamic Vinaigrette, Italian, Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
    Capellini Pomodoro - available through February 2006
    Penne Arrabiatta - order with No Cheese; available through February 2006
    Any Pasta with Garlic and Oil
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

For those in Canada, East Side Marios has some vegan stuff, or so I heard. But you have to ask for it specifically.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Just my 2 cents worth, although I am not in America - it is important to support the vegan products that come out because if we ever want it to be mainstreamed, that is the way to do it. I was disappointed to learn that the veggie burger at McDonalds has been scrapped in Australia. I never had it btw... What a shame that there is now no option other than dead animal And before I get the "McDonalds is evil, don't spend your money there" lecture, I believe that McDonalds isn't going anywhere whether we like it or not, so any improvement is better then none.

Quote Tigerlily
    For those in Canada, East Side Marios has some vegan stuff, or so I heard. But you have to ask for it specifically.
    I have never heard of that chain. They must be an east-coast establishment. What kind of stuff do they sell?

It's Italian restaurant...

click me please!

I ate there a few times before my veganism.......

I would never consider going there or any chain restaurant again...

Roxy - they have one in kelowna if you're ever curious!

Thanks for the link and the Kelowna tip lol. I have just checked our their menus on line and to be totally honest - it all looks pretty gross. Good place to order a heart-attack on a plate.

that's exactly what it is!

with every meal you get unlimited bread and salad...the salad consists of iceburg lettuce, croutons, maybe some tomatoes and cucumber and a hot pepper ontop.
    Your basic chain restaurant salad... nothing special!

actually it might be with certain meals... but most of them.

anyway..you go there if you pretty much want to pig out all night long!

i know someone online who works at an east side marios. (i met him on the internet like five years ago!) we dont have one here.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

OK, if anyone ever has the guts to eat at a mall foodcourt, please be careful at Panda Express. Their mixed vegetables are cooked in chicken broth!

Yeah, you can usually find something to eat at PF Chang's that's ok. They also do brown rice, which I don't see that often in mainstream restaurants.
    Last edited by catalina; Nov 8th, 2005 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo

I actually read that on another vegan blog. The vegan had emailed Panda express and was told that nothing was suitable for vegans because of being cooked with chicken broth. Lots of Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants do similarly. I wish I had a Chang's around here...are you sure there's no broth in their stuff? [Not that it matters, the closest one to me is a couple hours away]

I also found that at some Great Steak & Potato company restaurants (usually in mall food courts), the veggie delight is vegan if you get it w/o cheese. The french fries are cooked in peanut oil and the garden salad is OK. You can also get a baked potato with broc (no cheese).

Quote Banana
    Just my 2 cents worth, although I am not in America - it is important to support the vegan products that come out because if we ever want it to be mainstreamed, that is the way to do it. I was disappointed to learn that the veggie burger at McDonalds has been scrapped in Australia. I never had it btw... What a shame that there is now no option other than dead animal And before I get the "McDonalds is evil, don't spend your money there" lecture, I believe that McDonalds isn't going anywhere whether we like it or not, so any improvement is better then none.
    I agree with that! If we don't support when a big chain caters to vegans, I don't know how much will change because the big chains aren't going away. That's why some (I haven't, at least not as yet) vegans eat the BK veggie, even with the bun containing a bit of butter, to encourage them to keep the veggie burger and further ask them to change to a vegan bun.

sinister kungfu

Unfortunately, the BK veggie is vomit-inducingly vile.

Quote vaderesque
    That's why some (I haven't, at least not as yet) vegans eat the BK veggie, even with the bun containing a bit of butter
    You'd eat something with a bit of butter in it? Then claim you're doing so to help veganism?

Personally I think a vegan eating something non vegan is determental to veganism - it lets companies know they don't have to cater for vegans properly because they're flakey!

I refuse to eat in any big chain 'restaurant' even if I was starving to death!!! Even when I ate meat I wouldn't eat that garbage!
    I would rather support small cafes and local businesses than any McChain.
    Happily I've just heard about 3 great veggie places in Brighton so may try them all over the next few weeks
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock
    Happily I've just heard about 3 great veggie places in Brighton so may try them all over the next few weeks
    Yea, you do live down the road from a mecca for vegans

Quote vaderesque
    I actually read that on another vegan blog. The vegan had emailed Panda express and was told that nothing was suitable for vegans because of being cooked with chicken broth. Lots of Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants do similarly. I wish I had a Chang's around here...are you sure there's no broth in their stuff? [Not that it matters, the closest one to me is a couple hours away]
    You know, it's possible that Chang's does the same thing, it just hasn't occurred to me. I haven't been there in over two years, so if you ever plan on going, you should email them. I've noticed that most companies are quite good at getting back to you.

I received a reply from Ruby Tuesday's. The rep said that if you order the veggie burger w/o cheese or mayonnaise, it is vegan. I have emailed to ask if any sides (including fries) are vegan.

I appreciate that many of you are anti-chain restaurants (which I have no argument with), but I thought it would be nice to at least know what those of us who aren't militantly anti-chain restaurants could eat if we needed or wanted to go to one

They already emailed me back and said that the fries are fried in the same oil with the chicken tenders, so they are not vegan.

Quote vaderesque
    I appreciate that many of you are anti-chain restaurants (which I have no argument with), but I thought it would be nice to at least know what those of us who aren't militantly anti-chain restaurants could eat if we needed or wanted to go to one
    I agree, in an ideal world we'd never go to any of these restaurants again. However, one person can't always dictate where a large group of friends want to go, and it's useful to know what's available to you.

Cracker barrel says the following are vegan: vegetable soup, oatmeal, baked potato, and tossed salad.

They also said: If margarine is not a problem, they eat also eat corn, carrots, and fried apples. (I have emailed to ask them what is in the margarine they use, but I bet it isn't vegan!) It should also be noted that all of our fried vegetables are fried in the same oil as our meat products. We want to make sure you know that some of our offerings, like turnip greens, green beans, corn muffins, hashbrown casserole, and pinto beans are made the old-fashioned way using meat seasonings and are not strictly vegetarian.

Found this link on another board here:

http://www.peta2.com/stuff/s-eat1.asp

I received a less than helpful response (I was very specific about what a vegan would NOT eat--especially about not wanting any dairy products) and got a form e-letter to vegetarians from Olive Garden including:

Depending on your personal philosophy, we can suggest the following
    items as meatless, but not necessarily vegetarian or vegan as they may
    contain some ingredients which do not comply with your personal
    philosophy:

Minestrone Soup
    Garden Salad
    Marinara Sauce
    Capellini Pomodoro
    Eggplant Parmigiana
    Fettuccine Alfredo

I think it's pretty obvious that a few of these have dairy in them (especially the alfredo sauce), but they seem to imply that some other non-vegan in the possibility of broth or the like

mango woman

papa johns has a vegan option. i've read it on here somewhere and i asked about it. Theyre dough is vegan and when you get no cheese they use a special bad ass sauce and then you can get like five veggies on it for not that bad. [well here at least..] that's the only place i 've tried. I'm too paranoid and overly nervous to eat anywhere else. I just eat at home, where i get to watch the food get made and what surfaces it's touched, what utensils were used etc. and if there's a gross hair in my food i at least know it's mine.

i don't know how nation wide cottage inn pizza is, it started in ann arbor, mi, but my friend and his brother own one and they put togeter a wonderful vegan pizza for me.

a few pizza places i have been to say their pizza dough and sauce is vegan, but they forget about the butter or margarine, which they use in their pans. i just stick to cottage inn because i know the owners.

Quote Mr Flibble
    You'd eat something with a bit of butter in it? Then claim you're doing so to help veganism?

Personally I think a vegan eating something non vegan is determental to veganism - it lets companies know they don't have to cater for vegans properly because they're flakey!
    I'm sorry if my statement made me sound like a "flaky vegan" I don't think I'd eat a BK veggie unless I was in the middle of nowhere and there was only a BK around, but even then I wouldn't say, "I'm a vegan, but I'll put up with the butter" so that anyone would be able to argue that vegans are easily swayed. I'd probably ask for the patty microwaved and then not get a bun either in that improbable situation. I don't want to eat dairy at all because I feel much better w/o it--physically and psychologically

Well, as some of you have mentioned in other subjects, Peta is a bit "sloppy" in their definition of what is OK for vegans to eat (per the above link), as I just received an email from Papa John's and everything Peta said was OK isn't. What is OK, from reading the ingredients list Papa John's sent me, is: cinnamon apples, cinnamon spread, pan pizza shells, regular pizza sauce, veggies, and special seasoning packets. The thin crust contains milk (as part of "natural flavorings"), the robusto pizza sauce likewise contains dairy, and the garlic dipping sauce contains lactic acid (from milk).

Thanks for all the work you've done on this! I'm really amazed when there's ANYTHING at all for me to eat in restaurants lately. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but do you live anywhere near a Cheesecake Factory?
    Last edited by catalina; Nov 11th, 2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: crap spelling

Nope, don't live near one, but if you want to email them and let us know (maybe one day some other vegan will be near one), go to this website, then "contact us" and ask them about their menu: http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/aboutus.htm

I'm always VERY specific when I contact the restaurant, telling them that I am vegan and would like to know if any of their items--including breads--do not contain dairy products (including butter, cheese, milk), eggs, honey, or meat (including meat by-products such as broth).

Done, let's see what they say.

Tijuana Flats (Tex-mex)

Veggie burrito-no cheese and sour cream
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Here's the site where dunkin doughnuts gives info to determine what's vegan: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/

The nutritional info given lists allergens (i.e., milk and eggs), but also gives complete ingedient listings! From what I can tell, their dougnuts and most baked goods are not vegan (due to milk and eggs), but many of their bagels are (except the cheese ones obviously and a few have honey).

Krispy Kreme doughnuts use milk and eggs in all their food products according to their site

I was just reading through Dunkin Donuts beverages and they have them available with soy milk!

On the subway site:

Do your breads contain animal products?

SUBWAY® Italian bread contains no animal-derived ingredients. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey, which may be considered an animal-derived ingredient. The Parmesan Oregano and other cheese-topped breads do contain milk-derived ingredients.

What menu items at SUBWAY® restaurants are vegan/do not contain animal-derived ingredients?

The menu items that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients are the Veggie Delite® on Italian bread and the Veggie Delite® salad. Also these individual items also do not contain animal-derived ingredients: all vegetables, oil, vinegar, mustard, sweet onion sauce and Fruizle. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey but no other animal-derived ingredients.

Quote catalina
    You know, it's possible that Chang's does the same thing, it just hasn't occurred to me. I haven't been there in over two years, so if you ever plan on going, you should email them. I've noticed that most companies are quite good at getting back to you.
    PF Changs is very vegan friendly. It's one of my favorite places to go.
    They can not guarantee the sugar they use in most of the dishes is vegan. Buddas Feast is 100% vegan and 100% excellent.
    I usually get the coconut curry or Mao Poa Tofu.
    The spring rolls have egg in them.

Please do email the restaraunts. I did and I have since deleted the email from them. I have been searching everywhere to see if I can find where I posted it in veganism or vegan_people on Livejournal but I can't seem to find it.

Do not eat at chilis. They emailed me to say that a small amount of chicken fat is present in the SALSA! That right there puts them off for me, but the rice, beans both have chicken stock in them.

Olive Garden and Applebees are interesting cases, as they appear to differ from each restaraunt so you have to deal with the local manager. But in my case the local manager told me outright (applebees) that the menu is as is and they do not do custom orders. He was very very rude with me. I will not be going there again. Olive Garden was polite but didn't have a clue.

Right now I am living off going to Jason's Deli. They have a fabulous organic greens salad bar and there is oil and vinegar there for dressing. I love that place. Such a great organic salad...and it's not too pricy at $5 here. Any other salad bar I go to it's at least $7 or more. Sometimes they have a few vegan soups. It differs from day to day.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Yes, Jason's Deli is excellent! You can just make up your own salad box and you're good to go! Last time I was in Texas, it was the easiest way to eat, I'd just bring it back to my hotel room.

OK, this is what I got from the Cheesecake Factory:

Thank you for your e-mail. A majority of our dishes can be modified without any meat products.

Here are some suggestions:

Veggie Burger patty is vegan. The bun contains eggs. You should not eat the fries but are welcome to substitute them for mashed potatoes or a vegetable/mixed greens.

The filling of the veggie potpie is vegan. The shell is not.

Bruschetta without bread

Avocado Eggrolls with the exception that they are sealed with an egg wash.

Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes - This item is made with Heavy Cream in the
    cake itself.

Other than that, it is vegetarian. The Tomotillo Cream Sauce does have
    chicken broth.

The Corn Cake itself does NOT contain Meat. It can be ordered without
    the sauce.

Thai Lettuce Wraps with no chicken

All Salads can be modified to be made without meat, cheese etc and you can get oil & vinegar on the side

The following dressings do not contain eggs: Chinese, Cilantro, Citrus Vinaigrette, Honey-Mustard, Japanese, Vinaigrette, Lime Vinaigrette, Peanut
    Vinaigrette, Shallot Vinaigrette, Asian Vinaigrette, and Sheila's Vinaigrette.

Side of Veggies (i.e. Snow Peas & Vegetables, Spinach or Asparagus)

Cheese or Vegetable Pizza - pizza dough does not contain eggs
    Portabella Burger On A Bun - no bun

Special Note:
    Most of our Pastas do contain an egg base
    All our Bread items contain an egg base

Please be sure to ask your server or a manager to tourguide you to menu items that meet your dietary needs. All of our servers and managers are very
    knowledgeable about all of our menu items.

OK, I think this is a pretty weird list, because it sort of lists what you CAN'T eat a lot. Also, although I explained quite clearly and mentioned what we won't eat, it seems she's mainly noticed about the eggs, but not about the cream or cheese or honey.

I never ate at the cheesecake factory, but my parents told me there was NOTHING there for me to eat. My mom looks out for me pretty well (my dad wanted me to suck it up and eat whatever and stop being picky!) and always checks the places they eat for things I might be able to eat.

Jason's is the only place in Killeen I feel safe eating unless I get a baked potato from wendy's or a fruit plate at IHOP. It's stupid and makes me mad. So I usually don't go out unless I get down to Austin.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I feel they don't ventilate IHOPs well enough for me.

My father is psycho crazy and has to have "sausage, bacon and pancakes" for breakfast all the freakin time. When they come to visit me, we go out for breakfast...and it's quite nasty but it's better than him trying to cook that crap in my house!
    What sucks is I waited for a million years for fresh fruit plate. It took 2 hours total the last time and it made me mad. I never want to go back there but I know I will have to when my evil father comes down (my mom loves my food...if it wouldn't cause problems I would just send him out and cook for mom but eh...evil)
    ~Mel

the IHOP near us doesnt have a fresh fruit plate!! they just have the compote stuff which is kinda gross.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

you know? I might ask for it special. Not sure cause I just order it...i don't even open the menu. I just asked one day if they had fresh fruit and my server brought it out. Costs like $4.99 i think. I never pay either cause if my father is going to make me eat there he is definately paying.
    ~Mel

Quote vaderesque
    On the subway site:

Do your breads contain animal products?

SUBWAY® Italian bread contains no animal-derived ingredients. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey, which may be considered an animal-derived ingredient. The Parmesan Oregano and other cheese-topped breads do contain milk-derived ingredients.

What menu items at SUBWAY® restaurants are vegan/do not contain animal-derived ingredients?

The menu items that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients are the Veggie Delite® on Italian bread and the Veggie Delite® salad. Also these individual items also do not contain animal-derived ingredients: all vegetables, oil, vinegar, mustard, sweet onion sauce and Fruizle. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey but no other animal-derived ingredients.

I work next door to Subway and when I don't have the time or ingredients to make a dinner to take to work, I'll sometimes have the Veggie Delight on Italian with Sweet Onion Dressing It gets a bit boring after a while though

Quote catalina
    OK, I think this is a pretty weird list, because it sort of lists what you CAN'T eat a lot. Also, although I explained quite clearly and mentioned what we won't eat, it seems she's mainly noticed about the eggs, but not about the cream or cheese or honey.
    See, that's the kind of response I'm getting from some places. They may say something is OK from my list, then mention things with cheese or butter in them. I think it's sad that all the "factory's" breads have egg in them Then if most breads don't have eggs they will have dairy (i.e., whey or butter). I've been making homemade (bread maker) bread with neither and I can't tell a difference, so I really don't understand why most bread has either or both.

Some of you mentioned IHOP. I didn't email them since their site said they "have no nutritional information on our menu items." I can't recall the exact wording, but it was basically that you shouldn't ask about ingredients because they don't even keep track of that information.

I just received an email from Pizza Hut saying that they're sending me "nutritional information" and I should be receiving it in under 10 days...I'll let you know once I read through the info what's OK (if anything).