Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheese cravings

Default Re: In need of encouragment

heya, lotuspixy...

what part of wisco are you in?

i am familiar with some of the areas ar/vegan groups and maybe getting to some meetings would help strengthen your resolve...?

or maybe taking a look at notmilk.com would help.

i subscribe to his emails and its really quite informative.

also, have you read the china study? it gives as good of an anti-dairy argument as anything ive heard or read before!

greatest of luck with getting back into tip top vegan shape!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Hi lotuspixie and welcome You seem to have thought everything through quite thoroughly and it's obvious that you have a bad conscience about eating dairy. You'll find lots of support here at the forum and we'll help you as much as we can.

Do you do the grocery shopping for your household? Making a rule not to buy any dairy will really help. If you don't buy it, it's not in the house for you to eat.

I wish you all the very best with coming back to veganism You can do it!

LuVegan15

Default Re: Cheese please

I have only been vegan for three months, but when I decided to become vegan, it was an over-night decision and I stopped eating all animal produce like that. I haven't once craved any form of dairy or egg products since becoming a vegan, as I know that it is really discusting and I am not entitled to eat it. I have no right whatsoever to eat cheese, so I gave it up. As so with chocolate, and every other non-vegan food.

But as others has said, try to eat non-dairy pizzas etc. with soy cheese instead of milk, and when you are in the school canteen and others are having cheese pizza, remember where the ingrediants come from and what they contain -- alot of saturated fat, pus and cholesterol.

Hey jjdaiquiri: i'm in madison, which ought to be full of vegans, i just don't know where

cherrywisp

I soo know what you mean, I just newly started trying-to-become-vegan and my boyfriend is an omni, and while I never really liked meat, and never drank milk because it makes me fall asleep like immediately - a weird lactose intolerance symptom I guess, I never used butter, and I had no problem giving up yogurt because I don't want high fructose corn syrup, I have a huge problem giving up cheese completely.

When I'm by myself I make awesome vegan decisions, but my boyfriend eats absolute garbage around me a lot, and if he eats pizza it's like my downfall.

Every day it gets easier to ignore what he's eating though, especially when I already have yummy vegan food prepared.
    Like vegan chili. Yuuuuuumm.

I also just try to think about whether or not I really really want to eat it and I never do. My mind can overcome my cravings I guess, when I really want it to

But yeah it's proven that cheese is addictive. Which sucks. Sometimes if I don't have easy access to vegan food I still give in but I'm definitely getting better and am going to quit cheese completely

Hi, lotuspixie,
    Can you get vegan 'cheese' (made from soy) where you are? I thought I would have problems with missing cheese, yoghurt and chocolate when I first went vegan. But over here I can get vegan cheese (Cheezly by Redwood is the best, I think; so many varieties!), Alpro make a soy 'yoghurt'. I seriously cannot tell the soy 'cheese' and yoghurt from the dairy versions on taste.

Chocolate was easy, as I no longer have a sweet tooth and always preferred plain chocolate. Most plain chocolate still contains some dairy, but we have a company called Green & Black that produces dairy-free 70% and 85% cocoa dark chocolate, also versions flavoured with orange, etc. It's delicious and it's Fair Trade as well!

If all else fails, you're going to have to move over here!

Hi, Lotuspixie. I had the same problem a while back, too. Cheese pushed me off the wagon and I had trouble getting back on. (Gained some weight, too! !!) I got back on by keeping constant reminders of cows around. I bought a bunch of cow toys and put them all over the apartment. I then put the cutest cow toy by the door so when I had the urge to go buy cheese pizza, I'd see that cute cow by the door and just couldn't bring myself to do it.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

cherrywisp

Mila what an awesome idea! I'm sure some of the more hardcore people here might think this is all very hard to understand but when I'm thinking about wanting cheese, I'm not usually thinking about where it comes from or what's in it

That's really a great idea though, besides cows are really cute.

Normally if I start missing dairy I think of veal calves in veal crates, and that normally does the trick.

All the best, I know these things can be really tough (I live in Italy too, and I know how good the cheese is!!! Sorry if that offends anyone, I don't eat it anymore...)

It's some addicting stuff. Back when I fell off aforementioned wagon, it was after I ate a burrito which I ordered thinking there was no cheese included. I got halfway down before noticing - I couldn't even taste it! As soon as I saw what I was eating I stopped, but about a week later WHAM! the craving hit me like a ton of bricks. It was so strong, it made my skin crawl and I gave in. Don't let people tell you dairy isn't addictive because it really, really is. It was so much easier to dump it the first time.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Gazes at Trees

Quote cherrywisp View Post
    I soo know what you mean, I just newly started trying-to-become-vegan and my boyfriend is an omni, and while I never really liked meat, and never drank milk because it makes me fall asleep like immediately - a weird lactose intolerance symptom I guess, I never used butter, and I had no problem giving up yogurt because I don't want high fructose corn syrup, I have a huge problem giving up cheese completely.

When I'm by myself I make awesome vegan decisions, but my boyfriend eats absolute garbage around me a lot, and if he eats pizza it's like my downfall.

Every day it gets easier to ignore what he's eating though, especially when I already have yummy vegan food prepared.
    Like vegan chili. Yuuuuuumm.

I also just try to think about whether or not I really really want to eat it and I never do. My mind can overcome my cravings I guess, when I really want it to

But yeah it's proven that cheese is addictive. Which sucks. Sometimes if I don't have easy access to vegan food I still give in but I'm definitely getting better and am going to quit cheese completely
    Cherry, I posted an article about opiates in milk a couple of days ago, you may find it interesting, it explains why cheese is actually addictive. That was my hardest thing to give up, I had fallen off and on the wagon because of it (but not since March this year), and as someone said, that dirty feeling - yep that's exactly true, I know what that feels like - It's just not food to me anymore.

Cheese is addictive. Very addictive and hard to give up.

Going cold turkey was the only way - the cravings lessen with time, same as giving up smoking.

This book might help you.
    The Uncheese Cookery Book.
    It makes things that can remind you of cheese but are much healthier. Not exactly the same though.

How's this for encouragement - cheese is packed full of saturated fat which clogs up arteries. Nasty.

Sigh...Evil cheese rears it pungent odor. Seriously, my 9-year-old daughter talks about missing cheese too. I do agree with the above post that going cold turkey(tofu turkey) is best and is what worked for me. Good luck.

Thank you all so much for your advice. It's great to know I'm not the only one struggling with the evils of cheese. I think it's time I went out and bought a new vegan cookbook to reawaken my tastebuds, and little cow toy to put by my desk at work.

And to suck it up and just go cold turkey. It's funny, already it's been only about three days since I had cheese, but I feel better, and the cravings are lessening slowly. Being able to pick up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead of a cheese sandwich at the deli may sound small, but it was a big deal.

Again, thanks a bunch!

ivandurago

Taste < Equality

glad to hear you made the right choice :P

Well done so far, lotuspixie. We can always send you some Sheese or Cheezly.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

alot of people think veganism to be willpower to give things up, but it requires the willingness to try new things. As you find more interesting things that you'll want to try, the want for cheese will go further and further down. It's normal to still want it after a few days. yr doing fine

Quote KrissStress View Post
    alot of people think veganism to be willpower to give things up, but it requires the willingness to try new things. As you find more interesting things that you'll want to try, the want for cheese will go further and further down. It's normal to still want it after a few days. yr doing fine
    Nicely put, i don't feel like I have given up anything.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote lotuspixie View Post
    I've been a relaxed vegan for five years. by relaxed, I mean I sometimes eat honey, and processed sugar, but never dairy, eggs, gelatin, and of course never meat. but i dont use wool, leather, etc. either.

I then took a trip to italy this summer and the beautiful, incredible, cheese-laden food was my undoing. I came back I think literally addicted to cheese. And so for the past few months I've started cooking with dairy, eating dairy, and to be honest while it usually tastes great, my body feels terrible. My stomach is a mess and I just feel dirty. My diet is no longer about compassion and nonviolence. It's just food now, and the importance of why I was vegan has become abundantly clear to me now.

I keep trying to "get back off" the dairy, because I want to so badly. But it's much harder than I thought it would be. This is so much harder than when I chose to become vegan the first time around.

And so I guess I'm just in need of a little encouragement/advice. None of my coworkers or friends or family are vegan, and they just dont understand and so haven't been much help in this regard.

Thanks so very very much, from a struggling vegan.
    dude, i totally feel your pain; i have fallen off the vegan wagon numerous times.....

i think the most important thing is to not beat your self up when you do fall... remember, veganism is definatley not about being perfect, its about being the best vegan that YOU can at the present moment.

something that has helped me a great deal is this forum; i check it out almost daily. none of my friends or family are vegan either. veganism can be very challenging when you have no support.
    this forum has made me remember why i became vegan, and that its NOT ridiculous, or crazy or useless, or any of those other things that omnis (and sometimes your own head) tell you.

as far as the cravings go, ive never heard that dairy was addictive, but i wouldnt doubt it - lol. cheese is delicious (sorry, but it it, when you dont think about what goes into it). just because you decide to become vegan doesnt make cheese any less tasty. i think its important to remember why you became vegan in the first place, and try to keep those thoughts in your head at all times.
    this sounds kind of silly, but maybe you should try giving your self some time to mourn the loss of cheese.
    like, when i quit smoking, it really was a loss. it took time to deal with that , and get to a point where i was ok without it. - maybe it will be the same for you and cheese.

hope this helped.

good luck to everyone beating those cravings. Not trying to rub it in or anything but I dont honestly remember craving cheese that much at the beginning, I am weird though so that might explain that one
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

Quote missbettie View Post
    Nicely put, i don't feel like I have given up anything.
    This is a good approach generally I gather.

I became vegan because I think animals have rights. I gave up nothing but their imprisonment, pain and suffering and found thousands of new foods I had never previously considered.

All the best to you lotuspixie.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Oh, and speaking again of cheese. I could tell a few weeks ago that my struggling vegan sister had consumed cheese just by talking to her on the phone. She sounded all congested and mucusy. Later, she did admit this to be true and said that dairy brings out her allergies and asthma and makes her feel stuffed up.

JC

i've only been vegan for just over 6 months, but my cravings for cheese have disappeared now in fact, i crave soya cheese instead! the best substitutes i've found is the tofutti spreadable cheese (almost identical to cream cheese) and redwoods melting cheezly in mozarella style, it means you can still have a pizza with melted cheese on it or a cheese and bean toastie. mmm. oh, and i have this 'cheese' sauce powder, which is really nice when it's made up with soya milk (rather than water as it says on the box) i just can't remember what it's called...

Nishka

I am a relatively new vegan and I am having cheese cravings too... but I do as the others say and remember all the pus and yuck in cheese and it does put me off!!

I am going to try some of the alternatives soon. I have heard that the cheezly range is very good.

Thumbs up Re: Cheese please

[quote=Nishka;421027

I am going to try some of the alternatives soon. I have heard that the cheezly range is very good.[/quote]

Red Cheddar Style Cheezly is great for cheese sauce and the mozzarella style good for pizza. Personally, I don't like it 'uncooked', but my kids love it! Tofutti garlic and herb cream 'cheese' is fab on crackers. Please read my thread about Rice Slice Vegan.... rice slice is, in my opinion, the best of the alternative cheeses for sandwiches etc but isn't vegan due to the casein in it.
    Just can't wait to get the vegan version in this country.

The good thing about being vegan is that once your cheese cravings subside, that's a whole lot of calories and oodles of saturated fats you're saving yourself from. What I love most is being able to bypass whole sections of the supermarket without a second thought!

Question How do you motivate yourself to eat healthily?

Hi all - I'd really appreciate some advice and tips on this.

I have never had an ED but I have always had a very unhealthy relationship with food (in terms of eating too much and eating for emotional reasons). In the past few years I've made a lot of effort to change this by reading loads of books on nutrition and food psychology. I've had quite a lot of success and, especially when I'm reading a new book, I feel very motivated and completely different about food and can easily avoid fatty and sugary foods that make me feel ill. I LOVE eating healthy food and spinach is my fave food of all time

However, I also very often find that I tune out from listening to my body and fall into the habit of eating rubbish. I find it hard to connect the intellectual arguments against eating sugar and fat with understanding the harm I may be doing to my body.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you keep in tune with your body? Sometimes it feels like I have a split personality thing about food...
    Last edited by Korn; May 11th, 2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a somewhat related thread

JC

Default Re: How do you motivate yourself to eat healthily?

you could try reading your book just before you go shopping? then you'll only have healthy food in mind, and won't be tempted to buy crap. i find that i'll only eat junk food if it's there. for example, when i'm at home, there will always be a supply of bread in the cupboard, so i eat more toast and sandwiches etc. when i'm at uni, i just don't buy bread, so i can't eat it

pathologist

Of course - if you've read books on nutrition you will know that fats are not unhealthy! It is really important to try to get enough of the correct sorts - we really have to get monounsaturates (hazelnuts, macadamias, avocadoes, oilve oil, almonds), to some extent polyunsaturates (lots of things) and also to get omega 3 oils particularly (tea spoon of linseed oil each day). Maybe you are not getting a handful of mixed nuts each day or olive oil so you find you crave rubbish?

Before you eat that "bad food" think about how you'll feel afterward. Not only physically are you going to bad, but you'll also feel guilty about it if you were trying to only eat healthy. Then think if it's worth that moment of satisfaction.
    JC makes a great point. I only junk if it's around and I find it easy to not buy it (as long as you don't shop hungry!) The great thing about being Vegan were I live is you can't just go out and eat junk because there's nothing at the restaurants or fast food that are vegan. All the grocery stores are pretty far too so I can't buy on impulse.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

treaclemine

The two key factors for me are 1) Do the shopping and cooking when I'm not noticeably hungry, and 2) a healthy relationship with (aerobic) exercise.

I try to think of food as fuel - does my body need what I'm eating to run on, or will it make me feel like crap if it's junky? Of course, that doesn't stop me from eating french fries every once in a while, but it helps me focus on eating balanced meals (protein/fat/carbs etc) and healthful ingredients.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Thanks all for the advice very helpful. I try to avoid buying crap (kettle chips are my downfall - they are a major problem when I'm driving past shops that sell them...) but I love cooking and it only takes 5 mins to whip up a batch of rock cakes out of some basic ingredients. Treaclemine - you're right, I do find regular exercise (I've got back into running recently) keeps me balanced and I find it easier to avoid rubbish.

Quote mjnewbould View Post
    Of course - if you've read books on nutrition you will know that fats are not unhealthy! It is really important to try to get enough of the correct sorts - we really have to get monounsaturates (hazelnuts, macadamias, avocadoes, oilve oil, almonds), to some extent polyunsaturates (lots of things) and also to get omega 3 oils particularly (tea spoon of linseed oil each day). Maybe you are not getting a handful of mixed nuts each day or olive oil so you find you crave rubbish?
    I meant saturated and trans fats really, but thanks for this comment as you've prompted me to rethink what I know about fats now I'm automatically eating a diet much lower in them. I read most of my nutrition books when I was omni. I'm sure there's something in what you say about maybe not getting enough, though I do cook with olive and avocado oil a lot.

DiaShel and jamboxrock - really good advice, thanks. It's so easy to fall back into the habits of my childhood (and culture, to an extent) to think of food as a source of temporary pleasure not fuel.

I think I need to do some more reading specifically about a balanced vegan diet. Thanks!

I've mentioned this book before Allen Carr's Easyweigh to lose weight. It did give me a new way of looking at food and our relationship to this theme. I personally think that if you get the proper nutrition (vitamins, minerals, protein etc.) you would have less cravings for junk food or processed food. Lots of fresh fruit, veg, smoothies.

sugarmouse

My motivation is my looks.
    Shallow I know!
    But I eat healthy so I have nice skin etc.

I dont think there is any harm in eating a bit of rubbishy food now and again.AS long as the majority of your diet is healthy.

Also, I sometimes before eating/shopping, ask myself the question 'Is this going to do me any good/nourish me?'

Use forward planning: do food shopping when you are not hungry, write a shopping list before you go and only buy what's on the list.
    Take food with you when you are away from home so you always have healthy food with you when you are out during meal times.
    There're lots of ideas on this forum for healthy packed lunches and snacks to eat when you are out and about.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

sugarmouse

I cant do the shopping whilst not hungry thing.I have to be a bit hungry, or I dotn buy anything!Nothing appeals when you dont want food...for me anyway.

I think you make the best most practical choices then though! You can follow a list of what you really need rather then by impulse.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

My latest thing is to process some vegetables when I buy them or before they go off. I wanted to make zucchini brownies (do I belong in this thread?) so I grated the zucchini last night and stuck it into the freezer until I could be arsed to use it. I was making pancakes this morning and thought about how I always turned prepackaged muffins into pancakes(made muffins last night for the fiance). I usually make too much batter anyway so I did up some frozen blueberries and poured batter in my muffin tins. I had pancakes and later I will have buckwheat blueberry muffins topped with ground pumpkin seeds. Since I already had the oven on and the zucchini prepared I decided to go ahead and make my brownies(I have truly wandered into the wrong thread). I chopped frozen broccoli a while back for a stew and had left overs sitting in the freezer, so I chunked them into a pan of (packaged/flavored) cous-cous. I have containers of ground pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (I tend to be low in magnesium) in the freezer for easy additions to cereal, said pancakes, and brownies.
    I need some green vegetable recipes that can be added to noodle or something. Just a nice tasty fastish recipe so I gets my greens.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

sugarmouse

I understnad the sensibility of it definitly!
    just I am a freak...I Cant do it!Lol
    If I go shopping when not hungry I come back with toiletries, socks, hairclips...

Quote mogthecat View Post
    I think I need to do some more reading specifically about a balanced vegan diet. Thanks!
    Deffo, you can never do too much research, there will always be more books and articles you can read. I realised that reading this forum and other vegan forums I post on are a really good way of reminding me of all the vegan food we can make, and while it's nice to bake goodies, you have to look at making meals that are nutritious as well

Have you registered @ www.veganfitness.net ?

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Deffo, you can never do too much research, there will always be more books and articles you can read. I realised that reading this forum and other vegan forums I post on are a really good way of reminding me of all the vegan food we can make, and while it's nice to bake goodies, you have to look at making meals that are nutritious as well

Have you registered @ www.veganfitness.net ?
    Thanks for reminding me about this site - I had a look around soon after becoming vegan but then forgot about it. V gd idea for extra motivation, especially as I'm really getting back into running now. Hubbie and I went shopping for new running clothes yesterday and I'm planning on entering a 10km in August-ish. Think that'll definitely help with the motivation!

I had a lovely big meal of what I call 'veggie slop' (misc. vegetables in tinned tomatoes with herbs and garlic) last night and though I wanted a pudding I didn't have one, and felt v pleased with myself when I woke up without a sugar hangover

Thanks again for all the help, people

Default Help and direction needed

Ive been vegan for two years now and have always been able to cook up great meals, enjoy food shopping and keep on top of my vegan lifestyle. Lately however things have got really difficult. We have a twenty month old son who wants more and more of my time (thats a good thing I know) a business thats doing really well (good again) and a baby on the way (fantastic). Whats doing my head in is I've no time left to plan meals, buy good ingredients and play around in the kitchen. All I see in the supermarket now are temptations i.e non vegan easy options and not a single thing that makes me go "yum". How do busy vegans keep motivated?I'm not falling off the wagon as I'm still 100% vegan but I think things are going to get even more difficult when baby no2 comes along.
    Last edited by Korn; May 11th, 2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Help and direction needed

My health motivates me. As soon as I stop eating well and start neglecting my nutrition, I immediately feel it on a physical level and my energy levels drop. Saving time by buying "ready meals" may actually be a false economy in terms of your health and may turn out to be more expensive in the long run. I've no time to post more right now as I have to go out, but I'll try to come up with some ideas for you.

Hi,

Can you get a delivery of good ingredients, and then spend an afternoon making up some meals you can freeze? I know you said you were busy, and don't know what your personal circumstances are, but I have my granddaughter stay over each week to give my daughter a chance to catch up on house work and she always cooks a batch of curries she can freeze for a few days. Maybe someone can help you with that? x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Thanks Fiamma, I'd be interested in any ideas you come up with and I agree with the health issues. Your spot on with cooking batches Blueberry its just that I've run out of ideas and inspiration. When I've some spare time I'll check out my cook books and try something new but curries are out as Becky has gone off spices during this pregnancy

Well I am in no way a mother nor am I all that busy. I'm a college student without any real vegan options on campus, so I'm always cooking meals I can freeze or refrigerate and take with me. I'm sorry to hear you've gone off spices because most of my easy recipes are heavily spiced. Curries would of been my suggestion.

I agree with the huge batch thing. I usually cook on Sundays and try to make enough to get me through the week.

Stews and large pots of soups would be my suggestion. One-pot means easy clean up. Throw anything you like in, beans, lentils, veggies, tofu tempeh or whatever you find filling. Make something protein and calorie packed if you like or something light. Also most of time taken in soups and stews is pretty inactive so you can go off and do something else. I look at recipes to get inspiration, recipes I find are nearly suggestions. I mean if you're creative you can make anything happen with rice, canned or frozen veggies and vegetable stock.

I'm a busy mum (single) with 3 kids and they eat a varied diet,- but they like simple foods like beans on toast, mash potato and sausages, humous , banana sandwiches.

They also eat a lot of fresh fruit/smoothies and raw/steamed veg. I would never ever consider buying any non-vegan foods for them as there are so many vegan altenatives if you're thinking about dairy (and a lot healthier too)
    I would look at some vegan blogs for inspiration.
    My childrens fav at the moment is buckwheat noodles with tofu and broccoli,- and its so easy to make,

I don't know how it would be where you live, but we have a few companies in Aus which deliver fruit and veg to your door every week so you dont have to go out shopping.

This is an excellent option for me as I store all my rice, grains, etc and don't need to go to the shops often!

Other then that what I've been thinking of doing is just having one day when I cook heaps of meals, freeze them, so when you can't be bother/too busy/tired you can just heat them up. If your freezer isn't big enough though, you might need to buy an extra one...as is the case for my house.