Thread: Vegetable Stock

Default Vegetable Stock

Does anyone know where I can buy vegetable stock concentrate or cubes or powder (or boullion or anything similar) that doesn't contain salt or hydrolised veg protein or hydrogentated fat or anything else nasty?
    ...set black streamers in the sky and ride against the kingdom of the gods. Christopher Marlowe

Default Re: Vegetable Stock

these are the kind i buy (vegetable boullion cubes) and theyre great. but i dont know if u can get them in the UK.

http://www.ankekruseorganics.ca/shop/en-ca/dept_1.html
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

This one looks OK:
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/579618.html

It's the organic Marigold one - should be available in health food shops and possibly supermarkets. Be careful, the non-organic ones are hydrolised vegetable protein based.

You're not going to be able to avoid salt, I don't think. You can get some low salt versions.

Kallo do one: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/554425.html

kallo (available in supermarkets and health food stores) do a low salt version of veg stock, not sure whether they do no salt thou
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

to pack favour into a small cube needs the carriers of fat and salt. How about bouquet garni? a bit of veg (celery carrot fennel) tied or in a small bag with whole spice (coriander juniperberry rosemary bay). Grinding herbs in an electric coffee mill with no-salt, that potassium substitute is a cheap and flavourful way to cut sodium.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

nanainlove

Default Vegetable Stock

by asiarecipe

With the exception of cabbages (which include broccoli and cauliflower), which can overpower the flavor of vegetable stock, you can use all kinds of vegetables for this stock. The flavor will vary slightly, depending on the mix you use. Tomatoes can also overwhelm stock flavor, so while I do use them, I keep the amount small (unless of course, you want a strong tomato flavor). Some people feel that asparagus also overwhelms the stock. I personally don't agree, and find that asparagus adds a depth and richness to vegetable stock.

Making vegetable stock is a great way to clean out the refrigerator of food that is less than fresh, don't limit your stock making ingredients to whole vegetables. Start saving peels (well washed, of course) and trimmings while you cook. Your stock will be strained before being used, and all those unattractive peels will be gone, but they will have imparted a lovely flavor to your stock. Some excellent vegetables (and vegetable scraps) to use are: onions, garlic, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, celery, mushrooms, peas, corn (empty corn cobs can also add lots of flavor to veg. stock), parsley, green beans, beets, bell peppers, scallions, green onions, shallots, fresh basil or other herbs, etc., etc.

You can also add some fruit or fruit scraps to your vegetable stock ingredient mix. Apples, pears and even pineapple works well.

A good rule of thumb is to have about half solid ingredients to half water. It's a good idea to throw in a tablespoon or so of whole black peppercorns and a bay leaf or two for added flavor. Cover your ingredients with the water, bring to a boil and let simmer for about an hour. Cool and strain to remove any pieces of vegetables, fruit or scraps. That's all there is to it. You've just made vegetable stock.

You should Never add: Some things will simply ruin what could have been a great stock. The foremost of these is anything from the cabbage family. Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoflower, Boc choy. These become bitter and pungent the more they are cooked. They will ruin your stock.

Great instructions! This sounds tasty I might give it a try

Making vegetable stock is a great way to clean out the refrigerator of food that is less than fresh
    the person who wrote this hasn't seen the state of some of the stuff that's in my refrigerator.

Oh Harpy, I hear you!! You have just reminded me of a bag of brocolli lurking in the corner of my fridge...When I am organized I do an inventory and post it on the front of the fridge. Have you ever tried that?

Good idea, but much too organised for moi I'm afraid

I had a bit of a clear-out the other day and our new veg delivery is slightly smaller (and cheaper) so that should help to prevent future build-ups, I hope. What I cleared out will probably make nice compost, though it wouldn't have made a nice stock

Have you tried Vecon?
    Its available at Goodness Direct and most health food shops. It also contains vit A, C, B1, B2, B12 and iron!
    Ive been using Marigold vegan but thought Id give this a go.