Thread: For Valour.

Gliondrach

Default For Valour.

I'd like to start a thread in which we can honour the memory of those who have given their lives for the sake of other animals. This idea came to me when I read about Vanessa Williams, who risked and lost her life to save her canine friend. I have just returned from the Armistice Day ceremony, where we gathered to honour those who have died in wars - people whose sacrifice has helped to keep us free. It would be nice to have a place where we can honour those who died to save non-humans.

From yesterday's Shropshire Star.

Secretary drowned saving dog

A 30-year-old woman drowned in a weir at Bala in North Wales after she jumped into the raging water in an attempt to save her dog, an inquest heard.

The two golden retrievers were being walked near the weir at Bala

Vanessa Williams tried desperately to rescue her beloved golden retriever Jambo but she was dragged down by the turbulence.

A part-time fireman pulled Miss Williams and her unconscious partner from the water, but doctors could not revive her, the inquest was told.

Jambo was eventually pulled to safety after grabbing a rope in his mouth, the inquest was told.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded on Miss Williams, a secretary, of Bridgwater, Somerset, by coroner John Hughes.

The Prestatyn inquest heard the tragedy happened in July while holidaymakers Miss Williams and her partner Peter Duckett walked their two retrievers.

Jambo jumped into the River Tryweryn because he was fascinated by fixed yellow plastic balls bouncing in a whirlpool there.

Miss Williams, a strong swimmer, and Mr Duckett, a non-swimmer, waded out but got into difficulties near the weir.

The coroner said: “It’s clear Vanessa Williams lost her life because of her love for her dog. It’s desperately sad.”

http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_a....php?aID=39223

Her friend, Peter Duckett, a non-swimmer deserves praise, too.

God bless Vanessa, a very brave woman.

Regards,

Martin.

Default Re: For Valour.

Great idea for a thread. I'll be on the lookout for news items for it.

Cheers,
    rant

cross barer

Quote Gliondrach
    I'd like to start a thread in which we can honour the memory of those who have given their lives for the sake of other animals. This idea came to me when I read about Vanessa Williams, who risked and lost her life to save her canine friend. I have just returned from the Armistice Day ceremony, where we gathered to honour those who have died in wars - people whose sacrifice has helped to keep us free. It would be nice to have a place where we can honour those who died to save non-humans.

From yesterday's Shropshire Star.

Secretary drowned saving dog

A 30-year-old woman drowned in a weir at Bala in North Wales after she jumped into the raging water in an attempt to save her dog, an inquest heard.

The two golden retrievers were being walked near the weir at Bala

Vanessa Williams tried desperately to rescue her beloved golden retriever Jambo but she was dragged down by the turbulence.

A part-time fireman pulled Miss Williams and her unconscious partner from the water, but doctors could not revive her, the inquest was told.

Jambo was eventually pulled to safety after grabbing a rope in his mouth, the inquest was told.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded on Miss Williams, a secretary, of Bridgwater, Somerset, by coroner John Hughes.

The Prestatyn inquest heard the tragedy happened in July while holidaymakers Miss Williams and her partner Peter Duckett walked their two retrievers.

Jambo jumped into the River Tryweryn because he was fascinated by fixed yellow plastic balls bouncing in a whirlpool there.

Miss Williams, a strong swimmer, and Mr Duckett, a non-swimmer, waded out but got into difficulties near the weir.

The coroner said: “It’s clear Vanessa Williams lost her life because of her love for her dog. It’s desperately sad.”

http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_a....php?aID=39223

Her friend, Peter Duckett, a non-swimmer deserves praise, too.

God bless Vanessa, a very brave woman.

Regards,

Martin.
    hmmm, if the dog was on a leash it would never have happened...

Quote adam antichrist
    hmmm, if the dog was on a leash it would never have happened...
    I know what you mean. I have a neighbor who thinks that dogs being run over by cars or stolen is a "natural" thing because that's what has happened to all their dogs. I point out that my dog will never be stolen or run over unless something really strange happens because he's on a leash at all times when outside.

Having said that, I still respect people who love animals so much that they would put themselves in harm's way to help!
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh