Thread: Minty yoghurty raita for poppadoms

Default Minty yoghurty raita for poppadoms

Normally I would use yoghurt, mint, cucumber, turmeric.

But I never have any plain soya yoghurt in because it comes in huge tubs and this is all I use it for.

So new recipe is:

Soya milk
    splash white vinegar
    mint (dry or chopped)
    turmeric
    pinch sugar
    finely chopped cucumber

Not very thick, but does the job beautifully.

Default Re: Minty yoghurty raita for poppadoms

Quote Rob(QG)
    But I never have any plain soya yoghurt in because it comes in huge tubs and this is all I use it for.
    Use buying a tub of yoghurt as an excuse to make some nice fresh garlic and corriander naan to go with it
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    Use buying a tub of yoghurt as an excuse to make some nice fresh garlic and corriander naan to go with it
    Do you have a yummy naan recipe? I have never made it but would love to try.

I do have a recipe which I veganised from a traditional one, but it relies on using a bread machine to make the dough. I'll post it if you have one, but whilst I could probably guess how to make it by hand I can't say I've ever tried it out

mango woman

I've searched high and low for a vegan naan recipe. mmmmmmmmm naan. I could eat it for every meal. YUM!! If anyone has a recipe that doesn't need a bread machine to make it post it up here paleeeease!

Quote theashleybeyer
    I've searched high and low for a vegan naan recipe.
    did you try google? I'd avoid the one which claims you need egg replacer. Proper naan doesn't use eggs and i'm sure it's completely unneeded. I found black onion seeds a bit of a challenge to get hold of in the UK, but they are worth it if you can find them.

Quote theashleybeyer
    mmmmmmmmm naan. I could eat it for every meal.
    I eat it with quite a few non indian dishes. It's good with soup, and as you can warm pre cooked stuff in a toaster it makes a good convience breakfast food (i generally leave myself about 30 seconds in a morning to prepare breakfast!).

Quote Mr Flibble
    I do have a recipe which I veganised from a traditional one, but it relies on using a bread machine to make the dough. I'll post it if you have one, but whilst I could probably guess how to make it by hand I can't say I've ever tried it out
    I dont have a bread machine but I have been thinking about getting one, so I'm glad you mentioned it.
    Do you make all your own bread?
    Any tips, if I'm looking at buying a machine?

I'd say I make about 80% of my own bread at current. If i spent more time at home I could probably increase this up to about 99% (it's always good to try new things, so I don't think i'd ever go 100%).

My personal experience is the more you pay, the more you get. My first bread machine cost £50 made awful loaves and dough in 1h30. My second machine cost about £90, makes flawless loaves every time and dough in 45m. Now if I have a craving for pizza I can be eating it within an hour from scratch - 2 hours is just a bit too long! Using a bread machine to make dough is kinda cheating, but kinda not - very few professionals/barkeries knead by hand anymore. It lets you get on with preparing the rest of the meal or ingrediants for the bread you're making and eat good food in half the time. I regularly cook fresh bread after getting home from work at 7pm.

I've recently started using my machine to knead pasta dough too. I currently have a Panasonic SD253, which comes highly recomended by a lot of bread machine books / people / reviews. Certainly, don't buy anything which sounds too good to be true - it usually isn't. My first bread machine had a 58 minute loaf program - I now believe it's actually a physical impossibility to create an edible loaf in this time!

Quote Rob(QG)
    Normally I would use yoghurt, mint, cucumber, turmeric.
    Tried this out tonight with some thai green curry and naan - worked good

I was gonna have a go at making the naan without the bread machine, but ended up feeling ultra tired at about the time I should have started, so alas I cheated once more!

My breadmaker does an hour loaf, too. Never tried that setting, nor do I intend to.

Takes 3:40 for a large wholemeal loaf, though, which is a bit of a pain.
    I need to get into the habit of setting it on the timer so that I have fresh bread in the morning.

Do you use soya milk in your breadmaker or just water? The recipes that came with mine called for milk powder and water and taste horrible made like that (thought so as an omni). They taste much nicer with unsweetened soya milk.

Traditionally bread needs neither dairy milk powder or soya milk, so I use water. The basic recipe for the 'standard' bread I make (which gives good results on a 1h55m cycle) is:

1+1/4 tsp dry active yeast
    500g flour
    tbsp sugar (any type)
    25g pure sunflower margerine
    1+1/4 tsp salt
    350ml water

For the flour, that's 200g white bread flour, 100g wholemeal bread flour then either 200g brown bread flour or 200g of malted or granary bread flour. I try to mix together different flours for different textures/tastes. Provided it has a high enough white flour content it will work on the quicker cycles, even if it doesn't look or taste like it contains white. I tend to go for a dark crust, and in my bread machine the above makes an "extra large" loaf. I tend to use my machine mainly for making italian doughs thou, as opposed to loaves