Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Some vegans not eating enough

Default Re: Vegans not eating enough

Quote John
    I'm all for total gluttony, but then, I exercise a lot. It's sad that so many women have issues with food. All you gals want to be thin so you can date rich dudes. Just get chubby and go out with broke fellas like myself.
    Lol. Thats why i am so broke then. I should have lost a few pounds first before settling down

Quote Cranberry
    I think all of the mens magazines pretty much say it all. Men are more into their appearance than ever before just check out the magazine stands. Men have their own litte COSMO MAGS now.
    C'mon now. Those magazines are for gay men. Nothing's changed.

Quote moochbabe
    eating disorders in men are on the rise, i met quite a few while in rehab, this is no longer a disease that only plagues the women of the earth...
    I'm not talking about people with mental illness. I would never make light of that.

o, don't get me wrong, i didn't think that u were making a joke about eds... i just thought that it should be mentioned that men r now developing them too i could shed tears over its spreading
    Peace Love Surf.

LittleNellColumbia

Quote Cranberry
    OK, I posted this under "what did you eat today."
    As I was reading through the thread I was shocked at how little folks are eating.
    thank god i'm not the only one, i felt greedy reading that thread...some people have like a piece of fruit for breakfast, a slice of bread for lunch and a carrot for tea.... in the words of peter kay's mum "oh no thanks i had a rivieta yesterday"

i eat so much, i love food

breakfast- 3 slices of toast or big bowl of porridge

lunch- sandwich, crisps, yog and fruit or super noodles

snack- fruit or biscuits

tea- casserole, potoatoes and veg

supper- er...half big packet of kettle chips, chips, green and blacks WOO HOO, nuts, dried fruit, biscuits, wine etc etc etc

p.s. i'm not big, i'm a 10-12 (uk)!

supernoodles? Ah, the happy memories of being a student all flood back now
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I have just started using fitday. It says that I should be getting 2200 calories per day. The first day that I input into it, I only got about 1700 calories and I thought I ate quite a lot that day.

it's so crazy, so many people think that the eat a lot, or that their "metabolism allows for [such and such amount] calories" when i fact they need much more, and don't even eat as much as they think. not that i'm pegging u Roxy, i hope it doesn't sound like it, it just made me remember
    Peace Love Surf.

well personally, if i eat 1500 calories or over, ill gain weight, quite quickly aswell. if i eat under 1500, then i maintain, and if i eat 1200, ill lose. ive done alot of experimenting with this.

i also dont move around much. im in my house everyday and barely ever leave so i dont need as much as energy.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Some vegans not eating enough

Quote Cranberry
    OK, I posted this under "what did you eat today."
    As I was reading through the thread I was shocked at how little folks are eating. The average calorie consumption is very low and people are not taking in enough fat and protein. So I thought I would post this here so more of you will read it. Vegans need to eat responsibly for optimal health. Keep your immume systems super charged by eating well and balanced.

I aggree with you! Many diets show a lack of calories, calcium, protein, good fats and fiber (not to mention veggies and fruits!).

There are lots of gorgeous days posted in there by others as well, where ample balanced, nutritious food is eaten and for that I am glad but I can't help but worry about a large majority of those who post their measly eating!

I was looking for the "Proud to eat healthy" thread and I can't find it! Posting my days next to what appears to be ED postings in the other eating thread doesn't seem right to me

(Edit: I found the thread!!! Please post in the "Proud to eat healthy" thread when you eat well!)

well its sure to make people uncomfortable when posting amongst people who dont eat that much, so its great that the proud to eat healthy thread was created
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I just ate a whole christmas pudding with vegan cream. Yummmmmmmm. It was delicious and now i feel unable to move.

Vegan eating machines unite and well...eat. Lol.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    I just ate a whole christmas pudding with vegan cream. Yummmmmmmm. It was delicious and now i feel unable to move.
    Hehe, I did the exact same thing last night! Trying out a new recipe today to make up for it!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

I eat a ton, too. I love food.
    When i was a meat eater, and i ate too much, I gained a lot of weight.
    I even went as far as to have my stomache stapled, to save my life. I lost almost 200 pounds, but that surgery doesn't fix what's in my head, so I cheated , and drank soda, and ate lots of junk. I've gained 100 pounds back.
    I didn't decide to be vegan to lose weight. I will admit i get a little upset when some of the threads here are about weight loss. It makes me feel like a failure, or that veganism is being used as a mask for an unobtainable body image, society-driven.
    Sorry, i rambled. I probably won't ever read that thread for fear of seeing some of the things mentioned here, and stressing myself out.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Default An udate on my situation:

For a little while I was losing weight but recently I have gained it back and I am at the most I've ever weighed. By the way, that's a good thing since I have very little body fat. The only way I can gain weight is by weight training (lifting weights). I broke my weight training routine last spring when I got a bout of cluster headaches, however, I always get several hours of aerobic exercise a week.

I've been lifting again and I have found that I am getting more strength and results than ever. The interesting thing is that I am eating mostly low-protein/high-carb foods, like potatoes and cornmeal. I asked myself, why do herbivore animals get so strong when they eat such low-protein foods, like grass? It appears that the reason is that they eat they eat a lot of it. So, lifting has given me the necessary appetite to consume a lot of food.

Floyd Soul

I'm 6ft 4 and about 196pounds. I eat a vegan diet round the clock each day. I don't count calories or anything but I know I eat a whole lot.

i have no idea how many calories i eat in a day.

anyone know any sites that tells you calorie contents of stuff like, fruits, vegetables, etc.?

i hate having to work it out from the packet.

Try fitday.com. It analyzes your nutrition too, if you want.

i registered on fitday to keep track of what i eat. are there even any vegan foods listed on there? i was trying to find soy yogurt, and it came up with "tofu yogurt" - do you think the values of what are the same/similar to what i am eating (alpro)?

like, is it ok to add that to "what i've eaten today" ?

also..is this american values? i'm in britain..i dont do ounces

I haven't tried that kind, but the type I get is lower in caloreis and I think higher in calcium than the kind on fitday. I adjust it by putting say .6 or .7 in the amount that I consumer instead of 1 cup...makes it closer.

A lot of vegan foods aren't there. I think you can find of the nutritional info and enter it in, then save it if you eat the food enough to bother doing that. But, I have seen soy milk, veggie burgers, and veggie meats and stuff.

aaaah i've just realised you can adjust things and enter in your own products/values.

cool

Pilaf

I'm not really underearing, or overeating. I'm overweight due to insufficient exercise. I know that because I was eating about the same amount of calories a few years ago, but working out more, and was about 25 lbs lighter.

Quote kriz
    Hm...I don't think I have that problem...I eat like a gorilla! Huge amounts.
    I, too, eat like a gorilla. I don't count calories but I know which foods are the calorie-dense ones and I try to limit those to keep from gaining. But veggies and fruits: no limit, I have small mountains of them every day.

over the past few weeks i have been calorie counting, and realising which foods contain more cals.

i am trying not to get put off the fact that things like brown rice, brown bread and lentils can be quite high in cals. but its hard

it's sooo much better to get your nutrients from foods rather than supplements. things like selenium and vitamin c can be found in foods, and shouldn't be supplemented. it's a good idea to supplement with calcium if you're a woman, and b12 for everyone, but the others aren't necessary. in my research i've read that whole food supplements should be taken over vitamins.

i eat about 2000 calories a day and i only weigh 92- 95 lbs with a size zero in pants.yesterday i actually counted and it was about 2300 i dunno i guess i have a fast metabolism or something. im quite tall for my age too.

Russ

Quote Cranberry
    I think all of the mens magazines pretty much say it all. Men are more into their appearance than ever before just check out the magazine stands. Men have their own litte COSMO MAGS now.
    They got suckered in and it is making many people a pretty penny. Women are not the only ones subjected to the torture of being beautiful.
    Sad but true.
    You're right. It is sad that I now have to share my gender with people who have cosmo mags and concern themselves with looking like film stars.

Back on topic, I realised while reading this once again how much I like food. I think my diet is pretty much balanced. I mean, I'm certainly getting my share of everything I need, evidenced by the fact that I haven't keeled over yet. Some days I don't eat much (the life of a student in London is one of abject poverty) and some days I eat loads (like when I go home and get my food cooked for me )
    But I think it's different for different people. Depends on the lifestyle you lead, for one thing, as well as your size.

I struggle with this each day. I know I'm not getting enough calories, let alone enough fiber, iron, and calcium.
    Sometimes I write down everything I eat for a few days just to scare myself into eating more. But then I slack off.
    It's hard. Not because I'm vegan (everything in the house is vegan) but because I'm lazy and I forget to eat a lot of the time.
    When I don't eat regularly enough I get headaches and I feel really weak and grumpy. My husband, understandably, is pretty concerned....

Russ

I wonder if I'm getting the right amounts of everything: iron, protein, fibre, calcium ...

but I feel absolutely fine and have done for three years, so maybe by chance I am getting it all?

How can I tell?

Maybe have a blood test?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I hope I didn't mention it earlier but I like to use www.mypyramidtracker.gov and I see a lot of folks here use fitday.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I cannot afford all those vitamins, besides is it not better to get fresh fruit and veg instead?

I don't ever count calories, but I am aware that sometimes I do not eat enough and am not getting enough nutrients. Remember, that even though you eat good foods, our soil is SOOO DEPLETED of the minerals we need.

So now I do a protein shake. It is quick, easy, nutritious and filling. Our health food stores carry one called SPIRUTEIN. It contains spirulina and chlorella which are both really amazing green aquatic plants that contain the whole array of amino acids.

Don't think that because you are a vegan, you are healthy. Give your body the nutrients it needs!!!

i eat so much it's crazy.it's pretty insane, anytime i'm with friends they are amazed by the eating machine that i am. =]

Quote emmydu View Post
    i eat so much it's crazy.it's pretty insane, anytime i'm with friends they are amazed by the eating machine that i am. =]
    Is the large appetite a new thing? Maybe you should get yourself checked out medically, if it is. Polyphagia (abnormal eating) can be a sign of certain diseases (such as diabetes). I know in your other posts, you said you had gained a lot of weight so it's probably not that. But I would take anything like that seriously.

haha no, i've always been able to eat a lot.

it's not like a have a huge appetite, in fact it's just the opposite. i never get hungry. but when i do eat, i can be like a bottomless pit.

my recent weight gain has just been due to random eating out of my normal pattern, but that's it.

I eat about 1200 calories a day and my weight is constant - I don't waste calories on rubbish though only goodness!! I have a very active life, have tons of energy and I'm very strong. Some would say 1200 calories is too little but I think it depends on the person! I'd be enormous if I ate what is considered 'normal'!! Hey Kimba - I'm always told to eat more gain weight etc etc and it gets on my nerves too, I have no clever responses though! I just laugh it off and tell them I'm perfectly healthy and never get sick so I can't be doing anything too wrong! Would never gain weight on purpose to please anybody (my boyfriend asks me to gain weight) I eat when I'm hungry, I'm healthy and I'm happy with my body the way it is!

pavotrouge

I thought 1200 was the minimum "to go" amount of calories, what any body needs to work at all?!

may I ask how tall you are and what your weight is?

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I thought 1200 was the minimum "to go" amount of calories, what any body needs to work at all?!

may I ask how tall you are and what your weight is?
    1200 is often cited as a basal metabolic rate, BMR (ie, what your body needs just to function without any activity at all). you then add calories onto that depending on weight, activity level and so on. but even the BMR differs from person to person.
    if you can eat 1200, do a lot of activity and not lose weight it's probably because the metabolism has slowed down so much, which isn't healthy!

i'm glad this thread exists! i also noticed how little some people eat when i looked in the daily food intake thread. i am a recovering anorexic and those quantities are low even to my mind!!

You can always try this calculator to see how many calories you should be getting each day: http://www.calorieking.com/tools/weight_maintenance.php

pavotrouge

though this doesn't apply to everybody... it tells me I need 1777 calories.
    I tracked my intake both on fitday and sparkpeople for some time and I know I'm rapidly loosing weight at this rate.

I need about 2000-2100 calories to stay healthy as I've got an office job, but am constantly on the move and have always had a fast metabolism.
    Usually I'm eating lots but tend to eat things that have a low calorie value so I need to force myself to some "unhealthy" foods.

When I first went vegan, I lost almost 10kg because of the "ideal" 1800 calorie diet- and I was far from being overweight before that.

Hey guys - my height 167cm weight 45kg - very small frame. My metabolism is normal for sure, I'm perfectly healthy!

Quote prawnsize View Post
    Hey guys - my height 167cm weight 45kg - very small frame. My metabolism is normal for sure, I'm perfectly healthy!
    I wasn't trying to judge you
    But your BMI IS low, it's only 16. Less than 17.5 is generally considered an anorexic weight, less than 15 would usually be enough for hospitalisation! I'm not in any way saying you have anorexia, but you need to be aware that your weight is pretty low for your height! A small frame may explain it a bit, but even the 'anorexic' BMIs take some of that into account.
    As long as you have your period and feel healthy and well though, I guess that's what counts
    (And I'm the pot calling the kettle black writing this - my BMI is similar, but that was after an anorexic relapse and I'm trying to gain a bit again!)

Hi ya Emmy - no offence taken - honest!! I used to be a lot lighter having had eating problems myself my BMI was 15.1 (yuk I looked disgusting!) - feel really healthy now and don't look sick - yippee! Good luck in gaining some back x

One day I'll eat about 1200, another it will be about 2200 but that is only a guesstament. i don't count calories, I eat when I'm hungery and stop before I get full, unless it is Indian food in which case I'll just keep picking at it (take it away 2200 aday...).
    I'm 5' to 5'1" fluctuating and on average weigh about 8 stone 6lb (still imperial I know). Female and just into my 40s.

I walk to work most days, eat chocolate , do yoga and smile alot!

I don't like numbers of calories we 'should' be eating. I fluctuate between 800 and 3500 calories. When I do more, I need to eat more. When I sit on my ass all day, I get satisfyed on very low-calorie foods. Your body knows what it needs. As long as your calories are from a variety of fruits, veggies, grains and nuts, (with healthy fat sources) and don't get low-blood sugar and don't stuff yourself, it should be good. A slow or fast metabolism isn't unhealthy, it fluctuates with your bodies needs.

Besides, the RDAs are designed for men who are 150lbs.

Precisely snivelingchild - I like your thinking!!!

Quote emmy View Post
    But your BMI IS low, it's only 16. Less than 17.5 is generally considered an anorexic weight, less than 15 would usually be enough for hospitalisation!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

sugarmouse

I know I am not eating enough at the moment...Tis why I stopped posting in the fit/healthy thread..I am desperatly trying to lose some weight, due to previous eating disorders my metalbolism is screwy