Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Some vegans not eating enough

Default Some vegans not eating enough

OK, I posted this under "what did you eat today."
    As I was reading through the thread I was shocked at how little folks are eating. The average calorie consumption is very low and people are not taking in enough fat and protein. So I thought I would post this here so more of you will read it. Vegans need to eat responsibly for optimal health. Keep your immume systems super charged by eating well and balanced.

Semi Vegan friendly but you get the idea. TIME.com: Dr. Andrew Weil's Wellness Diet -- Oct. 17, 2005 -- Page 2

Default Re: Vegans not eating enough

He seems to advocate a lot of supplements.

Hm...I don't think I have that problem...I eat like a gorilla! Huge amounts.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I eat more than necessary
    Eve

I don't really care what I eat. Sorry but it is true.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Roxy
    he wants people to be walking pill bottles i think
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Cranberry
    OK, I posted this under "what did you eat today."
    As I was reading through the thread I was shocked at how little folks are eating. The average calorie consumption is very low and people are not taking in enough fat and protein. So I thought I would post this here so more of you will read it. Vegans need to eat responsibly for optimal health. Keep your immume systems super charged by eating well and balanced.
    I agree, however personally I eat loads - too little isn't the problem in my case!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I eat loads, in fact I've really got to cut down. I do take a multivitamin and mineral tablet every day though just to be on the safe side!
    Silent but deadly :p

well i cant afford much food and i try to stick to a 1200 calorie limit anyway to lose a few pounds. i also take alot of supplements for health!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

i eat about 1700 calories a day and according to fitday.com i burn about 4000 calories a day but i haven't lost any weight in fact i've put on 5 kgs this year
    hmmm.....
    i think that popping pills like that article suggests is a little bit crazy and unatural for me.
    "Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows" - Nietzsche :rolleyes:

I usually eat loads, and make sure I have enough protein and iron sources etc... but I have to really try hard to make the effort. If I'm not consciously thinking about food I can forget to eat! I don't have an eating disorder, I just get distracted with things or don't get hungry.

I have never followed any diets other than vegan, I tend not to east any products with bad fats in as such, I do not have a sweet tooth so anything sweet now and again.

I do not count calories at all, but I know I rarely go over the 2500 reccomended for males.

But on another note I walk into work and home everyday which is 3 miles each way so that is 30 miles a week walking including some big darm hills, then I go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours which includes 30 minutes hard cardio work out.

I sometimes get a hungry feeling late afternoon, but I am sure I eat enough.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote Roxy

I posted the link for calorie/protein/fat info not so much supplements.

Quote xwitchymagicx
    I don't really care what I eat. Sorry but it is true.
    I pretty much feel the same way. I know I eat healthy food and as long as I'm a.) not eating animal products and b.) not hungry then I'm c.) a happy vegan!

I used to stress about getting my 0.45 grams of protien per pound of body weight and I even bought supplements like spirutien, until I realized that my health has not suffered since eating less protein, but has increased.

Recently at work I had to tote a 100lb bundle of shingles some 15-16 feet onto the roof. (I'm a roofer btw) We normally have a conveyer to send them up but we only needed like 3 bundles so our only option was to tote them on our shoulders straight up the ladder. Well, I really didn't want to but my brother told me to do it and he's always telling me I need more protein, need to work out, etc. So, just to prove him and all others that hold his misconception wrong I went on and did it, and honestly I don't want to ever do it again, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Anyways, point is, if I can do that I must be eating pretty damn well! I'm skinny and people make comments about my weight all the time and tell me "you need to eat more", etc. But I do eat all the time! I've actually been trying to gain weight just to get said people to leave me alone. Seriously it's been getting on my nerves a lot lately to hear that and I don't know how to respond to it so I've been trying to ingore it rather than loosing my temper. I would love to hear a clever response

Quote Kim[ba]
    I pretty much feel the same way. I know I eat healthy food and as long as I'm a.) not eating animal products and b.) not hungry then I'm c.) a happy vegan!

I used to stress about getting my 0.45 grams of protien per pound of body weight and I even bought supplements like spirutien, until I realized that my health has not suffered since eating less protein, but has increased.

Recently at work I had to tote a 100lb bundle of shingles some 15-16 feet onto the roof. (I'm a roofer btw) We normally have a conveyer to send them up but we only needed like 3 bundles so our only option was to tote them on our shoulders straight up the ladder. Well, I really didn't want to but my brother told me to do it and he's always telling me I need more protein, need to work out, etc. So, just to prove him and all others that hold his misconception wrong I went on and did it, and honestly I don't want to ever do it again, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Anyways, point is, if I can do that I must be eating pretty damn well! I'm skinny and people make comments about my weight all the time and tell me "you need to eat more", etc. But I do eat all the time! I've actually been trying to gain weight just to get said people to leave me alone. Seriously it's been getting on my nerves a lot lately to hear that and I don't know how to respond to it so I've been trying to ingore it rather than loosing my temper. I would love to hear a clever response
    Kimba,
    What is your weight and height? Male or female? My boyfriend has had the same problem his entire life and he is not vegan or a vegetarian. To help him gain I tell him to take a few table spoons of olive oil through out the day and some nut butter. You can get more tips from these folks
    Vegan Fitness :: Home
    and maybe here
    Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness |
    What To Eat To Gain Weight?
    Bodybuilding.com - Mike Mahler - Vegetarian Strength Training Part 2.

Good Luck!

Quote foxytina_69
    well i cant afford much food and i try to stick to a 1200 calorie limit anyway to lose a few pounds. i also take alot of supplements for health!
    Beans, lentils, grains and frozen veggies. That is cheap and good eating. The down side is that you have to learn to cook for variety, but I am sure you can handle it. A bottle of olive oil to put on salads for the healthy fat and you are good to go. Sneak some in season fruit for treats and sweets. Fruit that is in season it always cheaper.

Eeew, he suggests fish eating.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i eat beans often, i dont like lentils unless its something like split pea soup, i eat brown rice alot, and frozen veggies, fresh veggies and fruit. i cant afford olive oil. its too expensive.

Quote foxytina_69
    i eat beans often, i dont like lentils unless its something like split pea soup, i eat brown rice alot, and frozen veggies, fresh veggies and fruit. i cant afford olive oil. its too expensive.
    Where are you looking for the olive oil? Middle Eastern stores usually have it for cheaper than super markets.

i dont know any middle eastern stores here just health food stores and supermarkets. the smallest bottle is usually about 8-10 dollars. i definitely cant afford that! (that amount gets me enough veggies for salad for a week!)

Quote Cranberry
    I posted the link for calorie/protein/fat info not so much supplements.

Terribly sorry.

Quote eve
    I eat more than necessary
    I'm with you sister!

Although Eve, from what I've ever seen you post, I didn't think you ate all that much and what you do eat always seems very healthy.

i eat very healthy and quite a lot, but i do have to say that i found it quite alarming how little some seem to eat. i can't even look at the 'what did u eat today' thread cuz it's so triggering... sometimes some of those who post on the healthy version don't seem to eat enough
    Peace Love Surf.

some people naturally eat less. i dont think there is one amount that is good for everybody. i dont think thats bad.

Quote foxytina_69
    some people naturally eat less. i dont think there is one amount that is good for everybody. i dont think thats bad.
    I agree. I am only small and i cant eat a huge amount. I look in the What did you eat thread and i think most people eat quite a lot. A lot more than i do. I can only stomach so much in one day. I do suffer from IBS so the more i eat the worse it gets so i tend to eat what i need. I dont have an eating disorder or anything and i dont think we need to fill our bodys so they feel like they are going to explode I have three meals a day and to me that is enough. My mum used to feed me loads, you could climb the mash potatoes there was so much so i was so happy when i could cook myself and have human not giant size meals

Quote puffin
    I agree. I am only small and i cant eat a huge amount. I look in the What did you eat thread and i think most people eat quite a lot. A lot more than i do. I can only stomach so much in one day. I do suffer from IBS so the more i eat the worse it gets so i tend to eat what i need. I dont have an eating disorder or anything and i dont think we need to fill our bodys so they feel like they are going to explode I have three meals a day and to me that is enough. My mum used to feed me loads, you could climb the mash potatoes there was so much so i was so happy when i could cook myself and have human not giant size meals
    I can sympathize with your IBS but you still need the appropriate amount of calories/carbs/fats/protein. Ideally we all should be eating small and more frequent meals.

Note: Sorry folks but when I posted the link above I just noticed it takes you to page 2, I hope you guys went back to page one. Sorry about that.

mango woman

Quote foxytina_69
    Ditto but I only take one multi a day.. but i switch between two multis: one with a bunch of minerals and vitamins and then one with just vitamins. I just started taking it and i can already tell I am getting some very needed vitamins because i don't feel so tired all the time! [maybe i just have wishful thinking? ] Either way, i feel a lot better since i started taking a multi every morning.

Quote kriz
    Hm...I don't think I have that problem...I eat like a gorilla! Huge amounts.

i don't think i eat a lot because i often lose my appetite and i just can't stomach food. i try to eat regularly and healthily though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

yes i take a multi aswell as calcium supplements and hemp oil and nettle tea for health.

puffin, i feel the same way. even if im not trying to lose a couple pounds, i still dont eat very much simply becuase i dont have that much of an appetite alot of the time. i too eat three meals a day, and if not, ill eat two meals and a snack. i feel that is enough to sustain my body and i feel alot better when i dont eat too much. i dont think that means im restricting or have disordered eating. i USED to however, but now i just dont care. i eat when im hungry and stop when im full. i listen to my body first and foremost. if i ate 2000 calories everyday i would NOT feel healthy or well, because i have done so and didnt feel good. when i eat 1200-1500 however i feel at my best and thats how i know its right for me. i dont think its fair that you apparently have to eat alot of calories for people to consider you healthy. some people just cant eat alot. i cant do anything about that!

reminds me of my nana actually. she eats a muffin and tea for breakfast, and a light dinner. thats it. shes around 90 years old and dances away and is more energetic than anyone else! shes EXTREMELY healthy and contributes it to the fact that she doesnt eat very much.

Quote Cranberry
    I can sympathize with your IBS but you still need the appropriate amount of calories/carbs/fats/protein. Ideally we all should be eating small and more frequent meals.

Note: Sorry folks but when I posted the link above I just noticed it takes you to page 2, I hope you guys went back to page one. Sorry about that.
    i dont do better on frequent small meals. i feel healthier and more energetic and happy when i have 2 or 3 set meals a day and maybe a snack. that does vary alot with different people

Quote foxytina_69
    i dont do better on frequent small meals. i feel healthier and more energetic and happy when i have 2 or 3 set meals a day and maybe a snack. that does vary alot with different people
    If you feel better I can't argue with that.

I can't eat small meals! My meals have to big!

Foxytina, sounds like your nana subscribes to the theory that undereating leads to longer life. I've heard a bit of research on that and I guess you have too.

I don't usually "undereat," but I don't usually overeat either! I eat about 3 meals, then a couple of snacks a day. I mainly just have a problem making myself eat breakfast, as I'm not usually hungry when I first get up, but otherwise I have no problem eating pretty good sized meals. The only problem I have is that I get tired of eating the same thing after about the third time (like if I cook something that lasts longer than that, it usually gets thrown out). I too stop eating when my stomach tells me I'm full and I've noticed that I'm one of the few people who do that (of those I'm around when it's eating time). I think it's healthy to listen to your body, especially when the people who don't do that start complaining about how sick they feel for forcing more food down
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Cranberry

Thanks for the advice, i do eat snacks now and then to. I dont like feeling full because my stomach hurts to much after. I have been living like this for 11 years and i have stayed the same weight so i am pretty happy and well.
    I agree tina. I feel a lot better when i dont eat large amounts. And your right, just because someone doesnt eat a lot it doesnt mean they have a eating disorder or want to lose weight. I am quite happy with my weight

For years I have been eating like a total glutton but lately I have been broke and can't afford to eat that much. I've lost about five to ten pounds that I really had to work hard to put on. The good thing about being hungry is that everything (vegan) tastes good.

Interestingly, a few months ago I went away on a trip. I thought that I would starve but suprisingly, though I consumed mostly fruit, beer, and just a few Clif Bars (which I'm pretty sure are vegan, but I don't usually eat them anyway) I had plenty of energy.

im in the same situation as you john (being broke and cant afford much) i think the extra energy is due to the fact that your body isnt spending all of its energy stores digesting food. it spends it on other things that it needs to, which is good for your body.

LittleNellColumbia

but the thing is, some of the people not eating a lot, they're also not eating near enough calories, if they r going to not eat as much, it is important for them to eat more nutrient dense food, that's what i do when i have no appetite do to being triggered, or any other reason it could be
    Peace Love Surf.

1200-1500 calories is enough for me personally.

Seaside

Quote moochbabe
    but the thing is, some of the people not eating a lot, they're also not eating near enough calories, if they r going to not eat as much, it is important for them to eat more nutrient dense food, that's what i do when i have no appetite do to being triggered, or any other reason it could be
    You are absolutely right here, moochbabe. You can spend 2000 calories on candy and potato chips, or 2000 calories on beans, grains, fruits, and vegetables. You won't get as much food out of your 2000 calories if you use them up on the candy and chips, and you won't get any vitamins or minerals at all.
    Folks, if you don't want to eat a lot of food, and don't want to take supplements, juicing is an excellent way to get lots of vegetables in your diet without having to fill up your tummy or blow your calorie counting!

thats great seaside. though i like to eat beans grains fruits and veggies, chips do sometimes account for me for a snack!

thats a great idea about the juicing. too bad i gave mine away!!!

I'm all for total gluttony, but then, I exercise a lot. It's sad that so many women have issues with food. All you gals want to be thin so you can date rich dudes. Just get chubby and go out with broke fellas like myself.

Quote John
    I'm all for total gluttony, but then, I exercise a lot. It's sad that so many women have issues with food. All you gals want to be thin so you can date rich dudes. Just get chubby and go out with broke fellas like myself.
    Correction:

Many, many, many men have issues with food and weight also.

If you say so.

Quote John
    I am thin, but I eat plenty and exercise, and don't really care about "rich dudes" I don't think rich dudes would like me though with my lack of makeup and ethical stance on things. Lots of things are more important than money ya know

I guess I've been blessed in never really obsessing about my weight, though I wasn't happy when I ended up at the upper end of my healthy weight a while back.
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote John
    If you say so.
    Actually, Tigerlily is right. It's just that men who have weight issues are less likely to vocalize them the way that women do, unless they are in the company of close friends or family (in my experiences, anyway).

Quote alekolu
    Actually, Tigerlily is right. It's just that men who have weight issues are less likely to vocalize them the way that women do, unless they are in the company of close friends or family (in my experiences, anyway).
    I think all of the mens magazines pretty much say it all. Men are more into their appearance than ever before just check out the magazine stands. Men have their own litte COSMO MAGS now.
    They got suckered in and it is making many people a pretty penny. Women are not the only ones subjected to the torture of being beautiful.
    Sad but true.

I always get an earful because i dont eat enough of the grains and breads......I consume mass fruit and vegetable quantities until my tummy hurts( i know , not good ) and because of my bottomless stomach i am afraid to eat more "substantial" things because i have NO moderation ability. but i still eat so MUCH its INSANE. I just have a limited menu.

eating disorders in men are on the rise, i met quite a few while in rehab, this is no longer a disease that only plagues the women of the earth...
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe
    eating disorders in men are on the rise, i met quite a few while in rehab, this is no longer a disease that only plagues the women of the earth...
    one of my best friends went through my eating disorder w. me - we both would not eat together - his parents made him see someone sooner and was put on medication and has yet to relapse - but he still is someone to i can go to and relate to when i need it. he is a guy!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche