Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Some vegans not eating enough

Default Re: Some vegans not eating enough

I don't know how many kj I eat a day, but I definitely eat enough - my (omni) bloke makes sure of it!

I really try not to measure things because I got a little preoccupied with it a few years ago. Was usually eating less than than 5000kj (1194 calories, apparently) a day... I just can't do all that again!

(((HUGS))) to Sugarmouse. Please look after yourself.

Yes buttons, anything less than 1200 calories per day, isn't really enough at all. I'm glad to hear that you're eating more these days, and enjoying a vegan diet too

Sugarmouse, have you read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman? I found it to be a excellent book, he is a doctor who knows all about nutrition which is rare. He has a website too. Check it out and see what you think, he thinks people should be lean and healthy.

I'm pretty sure I eat enough - just pretty much whenever I'm hungry really .. eat lots of beans/protein rich stuff anyway .. Cycled about 63 miles yesterday (from Edinburgh through Falkirk to Stirling, had lunch and then went on to Dunfermline, got the train back from there) and wasnt too tired afterwards so I'm probably ok
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I try to eat enough. I just screwed over my metobolism with my own stupidity and i'm having to be very careful with how much I eat because I gain super easy now. I'm also "dieting", So I do eat less than I see as "normal" nothing to worry about though.

A lot of people do seem to be eating very little... Makes me feel like a fatty 'cause I eat like a cow.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

on all fours, chewing, vomiting back up and chewing again?

Well, each to their own.

Good sperm

Quote Animosity View Post
    I try to eat enough. I just screwed over my metobolism with my own stupidity and i'm having to be very careful with how much I eat because I gain super easy now. I'm also "dieting", So I do eat less than I see as "normal" nothing to worry about though.

A lot of people do seem to be eating very little... Makes me feel like a fatty 'cause I eat like a cow.
    I'd rather eat like a (healthy) cow and be happy with my body than eat like someone with an ED who hates themself

sugarmouse

I have had E/Ds for most of my life....but I do not hate myself.

Good sperm

Is that why you're always saying how fat you are?
    Cos you don't hate yourself?

sugarmouse

you have lost me as usual, amy.
    I say I am fat, so I must hate msyelf?Is that what you mean?

JC

i'm completely confused by all this nutrition stuff. i got a bit obsessed by it all at one stage, but now i have no idea if i'm eating too much or too little. i'd love to be one of those people who just eat when they're hungry, but i can't tell when i am. like, i can't tell the difference between feeling full and feeling hungry, it's weird so i just stick to the conventional breakfast, lunch and dinner routine. how boring

That sounds healthy enough JC.
    I find I can't eat very much without feeling full. I would love to be able to eat more but just can't physically. I love eating, and it is so annoying when you've only eaten a small amount and feel full up!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

sugarmouse

Quote sandra View Post
    I find I can't eat very much without feeling full. I would love to be able to eat more but just can't physically. I love eating, and it is so annoying when you've only eaten a small amount and feel full up!
    Lol Sandra!I felt a bit like that when i went for that meal after i been dieting..I couldnt enjoy it for very long, was too full!

Quote sandra View Post

Me too! I get so made when I am full!!! I always tell people that and they laugh at me...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to!
    For example, I bought loads of lovely salad today...........ones with pasta and noodles etc. I had one small plate of it and was immediately full up!
    I swear I only have to drink some fizzy water and I feel as if I've eaten a 4 course meal!
    It doesn't stop me though.............I just eat small amounts more often........infact everytime you look at me I'm eating something........only not very much of it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Good sperm

Quote sandra View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to!
    For example, I bought loads of lovely salad today...........ones with pasta and noodles etc. I had one small plate of it and was immediately full up!
    I swear I only have to drink some fizzy water and I feel as if I've eaten a 4 course meal!
    It doesn't stop me though.............I just eat small amounts more often........infact everytime you look at me I'm eating something........only not very much of it!
    This is the healthiest way to eat anyway, little and often

Good sperm

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    you have lost me as usual, amy.
    I say I am fat, so I must hate msyelf?Is that what you mean?
    You say that you are fat, that you hate your 'flabby' body, that you've suffered from EDs, you're constantly asking for advice about crash diets...

What other conclusion should I come to?

In contrast, everyone else says that you are slim, that you have no 'flabby' bits, that you don't need to crash diet just eat healthily, and that you're beautiful as you are.

sugarmouse

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    You say that you are fat, that you hate your 'flabby' body, that you've suffered from EDs, you're constantly asking for advice about crash diets...

What other conclusion should I come to?

In contrast, everyone else says that you are slim, that you have no 'flabby' bits, that you don't need to crash diet just eat healthily, and that you're beautiful as you are.
    I do have body issues...never will I deny that.

When have I asked for advice regarding 'crash diets?' though?

I have suffered eating disorders, not to blame but looking at my past I think it is almost natural that I wuold ..but it does not mean I hate myself. I dont think being 'fat' is a reason to hate yourself, nor is having had body issues or having experienced eating disorders. ..I accept my issues as part of
    me...I work to improve them and I try to..but I dont think it is worth hating myself over..I didnt have those issues or disorders on purpose after all.
    Plus I like other things about myself.

cobweb

i agree, i have some pretty serious food issues but i would not say that i hate myself atall, in fact almost the opposite, i like myself but i try and protect myself from harsh realities using food as my shield.

I don't think eating disorders are as wrapped up in body image/media etc as much as people would like to think they are. I just had the thought that that line of thinking is incredibly similar to the thought that violence on television inspires people to commit violence (I don't believe it plays such a large part).
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I have an ED. I've been bulimic on and off since my early 20's. I don't hate myself. Infact, quite the opposite. I love myself enough to want to get better.

I don't want to eat like a person with an ED.
    I don't want to eat like a cow.

I want to eat to be healthy

I'm really happy that for the past 2 weeks, my eating has gotten a lot more under control and even though I've been going through some stress and hard emotional times, I haven't felt like I've wanted to binge and/or purge

I'm working quite a physical job now, I'm moving around all day long, and lifting heavy boxes (upto 50 pounds) quite often too. I'm now eating between 1700 and 1800 calories a day, which is what my body seems to need to be kept well fueled for the work I have to do.

Agreed. Many times eating disorders have mush more to do with the need to control, which is why they often occur with people who have underlying OCD issues.

sugarmouse

I havent any clue where mine (ED) came from, apart from little snippets. I think they can start for many different reasons though

sugarmouse

Quote cobweb View Post
    i agree, i have some pretty serious food issues but i would not say that i hate myself atall, in fact almost the opposite, i like myself but i try and protect myself from harsh realities using food as my shield.
    That is an interesting statment/theory

JC

my counsellor told me that alot of EDs can stem from an over-protective or controlling mother.

I'd totally agree. Especially a mom who was dieting herself while growing up. I have eating issues myself and my mom is psycho controlling. Even now that I'm 20, she still wants to control me like a little kid.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I suffered from anorexia for a few years and it was simply because someone told me I was fat (constantly) and scrutinized my body (and his own) so much that I started to crave perfection (as thin as possible in my mind). I had never given my weight any thought before then. It just goes to show that whatever causes an ED can be different for everyone...

As a parent you should never mention that you are on a "diet" around your kids, and you should never put yourself down, i.e. saying you are fat...you shouldn't do it anyways but...kids are watching your every move and hanging on your every word...sometimes it just sets them up for eatting and body image problems...

As a kid my parents were always on me about my weight...I wasn't even overweight until I was in highschool...then I lost the weight in a very unhealthy manner...My mother was ALWAYS and is ALWAYS on a diet, always commenting on my body...I used to hate her for it, but now I understand where it comes from. I still have issues regarding my body, and at times I become really frustrated, I just have to remind myself that it will pass...I remember being 5 years old in a ballet class being so embarresed about my body...I will never ever forget that...I remember being at my fathers house being told I was fat when I was really little, and my dad and my step mother laughing at me because when I said "i'm not fat", they made fun of me because I couldn't say it right...

What happens when you are little, even the smallest thing your parents or people close to you say, can really affect you...When I have kids I hope they never learn the word fat, or diet...not possible however...but in a perfect world.

JC

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'd totally agree. Especially a mom who was dieting herself while growing up. I have eating issues myself and my mom is psycho controlling. Even now that I'm 20, she still wants to control me like a little kid.
    exactly! i'm alot younger than my siblings, and it's like, i know my mum wants the best for me, but i just wish she'd treat me the same as them. she'd always let them go out on their own when we were younger, and at the time, i couldn't go out because i was too young. fair enough. but even when i got to the same age as them, older even, i still wasn't allowed to do what they could at that age. i'm glad i'm at uni now and i've got so much more independence, evidently too much, lol. but i still have to talk to her on the phone every day. i told her the other day that i've been going for a run every morning, and she flipped saying it's dangerous and someone could attack me. i could have the opportunity to go abroad this summer. it wouldn't cost anything, but she's told me that if i do get picked to go, she doesn't want me to, and she'll take me on holiday instead. why won't she let me grow up?!

Know what you mean about controlling mum's .. I'm the youngest too and its hard to anything out of the ordinary without doing a minute-by-minute count of what I'm going to do
    Or she always makes me take my phone with me "just in case" .. etc etc etc ..
    Also pretty controlling with food but not quite to the same extent really, still mostly 'plonk the plate down and eat it' sort of thing though
    </OT>
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

sugarmouse

I agree how that could be an aspect

I differ though.My mum couldnt have been less controlling.If anything, her relaxed attitude was too far the other way... I often had no rules and did what iwanted, even putting myself in danger a lot of the time.

My mum has never dieted and never had any experience with eating disorders.It took other folk to promt her when i had anorexia, she just wouldnt notice the signs.
    I agree with Missbettie about concelaing any bad eating habits from children.They learn by imitation and it is dangerous to have them observe things that can set them up for a life of food misery

cobweb

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    yes, and me (and i'm nearly 37 tiger!)
    my mum was constantly on diets when i was a kid - she would wince as she ate a grapefruit for breakfast every morning............i vowed never to be that silly

cobweb

sugarmouse sounds like you were crying out for some bloody attention when you were small! (peedie, as they say round here!)

sugarmouse

Quote cobweb View Post
    sugarmouse sounds like you were crying out for some bloody attention when you were small! (peedie, as they say round here!)
    Lol Peedie!
    not heard that one before!
    I really dont know what it was...just snippets that strike me as perhaps part of it.
    I wrote a chapter on facebook and myspace concerning my eating disorder though. If you are every extremely bored anyone then welcome to read about the experience i had.I am the type of person who writes tings down when they re on my mind.Father is a writer , perhaps tis in my blood
    I realised from that prev.post I may have sounded nasty toward my mum, not my intention at all..She wasnt a bad figure...she was so nice and her relaxed attitude is pobably what most kids would wish for.She is just a very, how do you put it?! Not simple...I meana very matterof fact, practical, non-emotive person. I am the opposite really.She is very much into business and finance. Emotional things just bounce off her....There was nt a lot of love shown literally, but then in other ways it came about..I am just very differnet from her
    Last edited by sugarmouse; Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Thought folk would think I am slagging my mum off!

vegan

I actually think I do have the problem of not eating enough. I'm going to try to start eating more. And also I think pills can be a good idea to get nutrients. Why so much resistance?

sugarmouse

I eat more when I exercise often, even if it isnt that much exercise .

I don't really mind people that don't eat a ton, Some people just don't need 2,000+ calories. What upsets me is people eating a piece of fruit for breakfast, Skiping lunch and having a simple salad for dinner. That's a slipper slope, Plus it can be triggering to anyone with an ED. Seeing someone eat like that can cause a relapse. That's why i've stoped reading what other people post on there. I just focus on myself. The other forum i'm on only lets you post if you're eating enough. It's controversal but it helps stop relapses from people recovering from an ED and trying to post their healthy days.

sugarmouse

Quote Animosity View Post
    I don't really mind people that don't eat a ton, Some people just don't need 2,000+ calories. What upsets me is people eating a piece of fruit for breakfast, Skiping lunch and having a simple salad for dinner. That's a slipper slope, Plus it can be triggering to anyone with an ED. Seeing someone eat like that can cause a relapse. That's why i've stoped reading what other people post on there. I just focus on myself. The other forum i'm on only lets you post if you're eating enough. It's controversal but it helps stop relapses from people recovering from an ED and trying to post their healthy days.

Is it a forum especially for ED recovery,animosity?

Something happened today and I was looking for a thread to talk about it. Since your on the topic of ED, this seems like a good place.
    So there's this girl in one of my work out classes who is scary skinny. I mean, she can't weight more then 90 pounds and that's generous. Today we was wearing a vegan shirt! All I could think was oh great, now everyone is going think that not eating meat/dairy makes you malnourished. Since there are no vegan around here, she's probably the only vegan they come across and they'll think we're all extremely underweight and therefore meat is needed in their diet. Ignorant I know, but I can definitely see people thinking that way. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and no one thinks that way. It just upset me that the most sickly looking person I've come across is the one that's being a walking billboard for Vegans.
    Am being too harsh and judgmental aren't I?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

If you put her down, that would be harsh; you didn't
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    Is it a forum especially for ED recovery,animosity?

No. It's a vegetarian/vegan forum, But they have an ED support thread.

They've had to close several food log threads because of people posting starvation posts. It was causing other people with ED's to feel bad and stop eating, Which obviously they didn't want.

What do you mean by "starvation posts"? Were the posters advocating annorexia or something similar?

Matt

Yo, What's up homies? Don't forget to eat enough. Especially you ladies. Guys like me prefer a girl with a little junk in her trunk. Make sure you get a wide variety of nutrients, so you have a little bit of sparkle in your eyes and your hair doesn't start to look like an old dried out bale of hay. You don't want those horses you love so much to get confused and start snacking on your follicles, do you? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to some important business. i.e. watching some music videos where some well fed girls shake their nicely rounded, slightly toned, healthy asses all over the place.

sugarmouse

Quote Matt View Post
    Yo, What's up homies? Don't forget to eat enough. Especially you ladies. Guys like me prefer a girl with a little junk in her trunk. Make sure you get a wide variety of nutrients, so you have a little bit of sparkle in your eyes and your hair doesn't start to look like an old dried out bale of hay. You don't want those horses you love so much to get confused and start snacking on your follicles, do you? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to some important business. i.e. watching some music videos where some well fed girls shake their nicely rounded, slightly toned, healthy asses all over the place.
    Lol Matt!!Well said and all that

Hey Matt, it seems like your intention is good, you want women to eat well... But saying you like girls "with a little junk in their trunk" with "nicely rouded, slightly toned, healthy asses" .... not all women want to be objects to men; not all women have confidence/ lack of confidence because of men; not all women diet (eat/not eat) because of men.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

^ agreed.

Well said, Ellaminnowpea & Miss Bettie! I'm a man and wouldn't like women to be judging me in such a sexist way. Would you, Matt?

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Something happened today and I was looking for a thread to talk about it. Since your on the topic of ED, this seems like a good place.
    So there's this girl in one of my work out classes who is scary skinny. I mean, she can't weight more then 90 pounds and that's generous. Today we was wearing a vegan shirt! All I could think was oh great, now everyone is going think that not eating meat/dairy makes you malnourished. Since there are no vegan around here, she's probably the only vegan they come across and they'll think we're all extremely underweight and therefore meat is needed in their diet. Ignorant I know, but I can definitely see people thinking that way. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and no one thinks that way. It just upset me that the most sickly looking person I've come across is the one that's being a walking billboard for Vegans.
    Am being too harsh and judgmental aren't I?

Hi, DaiShel!
    In order to counter her example, you know what you have to do, don't you?
    Get yourself a vegan shirt so that people can see that there is no such thing as a 'typical' vegan
    ' - maybe then they'll ask about our beliefs and diet rather than thinking of us as a stereotype!

Right Mzee, maybe I should! Since I'm really fit people will be like "hey, being Vegan is healthy."
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Matt

I like big butts, and I cannot lie,
    You know you can't deny,
    When A girl walks in with a big ol butt,
    It makes you yell Oh Yeah!!!
    Ladies shake those healthy butts.

I'm pretty sure women love men giving them attention due to their physical appearance.The only time they don't like this kind of attention is when they get too much of it, and for a woman, too much is a whole lot. Most men don't usually have that much time.

So girls keep shakin those healthy butts.
    If those other guys wanta drop it off and leave it,
    I'll pull up quick and retrieve it.