Thread: cane toad fighting funds

Cool cane toad fighting funds

More than $6,500 has been raised by an art gallery in Perth, which has joined the fight to stop cane toads reaching the Kimberley. The Subiaco-based gallery waived its commission on more than 50 paintings to help raise money for the Stop the Toad Foundation.

About 400 people attended the exhibition's opening night, which was hosted by conservationist Malcolm Douglas and author Tim Winton. The gallery's Fiona Rafferty says people went away with a lot more knowledge about the threat of the toad. "People were calling in saying they'd written to the Premier and they wanted to be involved in some way, and could they be volunteers up at Kununurra. "A very positive response."

I wonder how they will spend that dosh? Of course the cane toads were brought to Australia to help with the sugar cane industry in Qld, where I live, but now the toads are on the march!
    Eve

cross barer

Default Re: cane toad fighting funds

Sterilisation is the only hope of stopping the spread of populations. Females lay up to 25000 eggs per clutch, but I'm not sure how many times per year they lay. That means there are too many to kill and introducing pathogens will almost certainly spread to other populations. To be honest I'm not sure there is any point fighting it, it seems inevitable that they will spread throughtout the entire tropical northwest as they have done in the northeast. At least they don't like the cooler temperate sub tropical climes, so southern ecosystems will be largely unaffected.