Thread: China

Default China

Hello. I'm a vegan and I'm visiting Shanghai and Beijing in December. I don't eat at restaurants that serve meat. I've got a list of veggie places but does anyone have any tips for me? Many, many thanks....

Default Re: China

Hi,

Nice to know about you. I too do not eat at the places where Meat is served.

I hope you can know here. http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/shanghai/

Manish Jain

Happycow is great, but when I was in America, a lot of it seemed to be outdated, so maybe if you are planning to go somewhere that you found on Happycow, ring and check if it still exists first

China Vegetarian Restaurants

Shanghai:
    Gong De Lin Restaurant , 43 Huanghe Lu , Tel : 86-21-6327-0218
    Jade Buddha Vegetarian , 999 Jiangning Lu , Tel : 86-21-6266-3668
    Juelin Vegetarian , 43 Jinlin'dong Lu , Tel : 86-21-6326-0115
    Vegetarian Life Style , 77 Song Shan Road , Tel : 86-21-63848000

Source: http://www.jainsamaj.org/

has anyone here had any experiences with these restaurants?

Lightbulb Re: China

I wonder how you can survive in China when you do not want to eat at places where they serve meat. I live in Guangzhou / Canton - for almost three years now - and here there only a couple of vegetarians restaurants. So, in other words, at times, or oftentimes, you just have to eat elsewhere.

I wrote a small piece about food in China, maybe you can take a brief look:

http://www.arnoudforyou.com/chinese-...raditions.html

I'm happy to eat in a restaurant that also serves meat - I do it every day in my 'usual' life; I'm not that 'pure'. From what I understand we have to tell them we are strict Buddhists and that's the only way we'll get food without meat.... is that right?

I guess in China that would make more sense yes. Everyone knows Buddhists are not too fond of meat. But what if you don 't wear the typical buddhist garb? Then it s like having Chinese looks, but not being able to utter Mandarin or some kind of other dialect. Know what i mean?

A.

I'm not sure this really belongs here, but I've heard some awful things about the practices over in China, that anyone visiting might want to prepare themselves for.

A very good friend of mine was brought up in Hong Kong as his dad moved out there to join the fire service, and some of the stories of dog butchery are so sick they're almost unbelievable. One of them involved a man putting a dog in a sack and beating it until the yelping stopped, a good 15 minutes or so I believe. Apparently they do this to tenderise the "meat", before it is meat.

This is a good site for info, but note the warning of disturbing images.

Lilac Hamster

Yes, many ethical-minded people, vegan or not, would want to avoid visiting China, not only for animal rights reasons but also because they have one of the most appalling human rights records. The Chinese regime has murdered pro-democracy campaigners and the authorities drag women off for forced abortions at any stage and also drown newborn babies in paddy fields if they are unauthorised conceptions/births.
    After hearing about what the Chinese authorities are capable of, I don't think anything much could shock me.

But maybe China has also a lot of "good" things. Have you all ever visited mainland China?

Lilac Hamster,
    Many countries in this world are doing terrible things in different ways. The UK is most certainly not squeaky clean. I visited China to adopt my daughters and am doing by best to teach them about the vast and culturally rich place of their birth. I will certainly visit China again and believe that it is very useful for ordinary people from different countries to communicate. The government does not necessarily represent the way things are for ordinary people. It is nearly impossible for us to imagine the desperation that Chinese families must feel concerning the one child policy. I know that the birth mothers of my children did everything they could to hide their pregnancies and to insure a life and future for these babies. Please do not judge harshly.

How old are you daughters now and are they vegan / vegetarian and or speak Chinese?

Thanks for asking about my kids. I tend to go on about them ad nauseum so I have sent you a PM on the subject !!!!

Yeah, i can tell you love them I just replied your pm.

Quote hoodedmann View Post
    I wonder how you can survive in China when you do not want to eat at places where they serve meat. I live in Guangzhou / Canton - for almost three years now - and here there only a couple of vegetarians restaurants. So, in other words, at times, or oftentimes, you just have to eat elsewhere.

I wrote a small piece about food in China, maybe you can take a brief look:

http://www.arnoudforyou.com/chinese-...raditions.html

More awful Chinese food(?) here

Manish Jain

These links might be useful for anyone travelling to China...

http://pratyeka.org/vegetarian-china/

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/Asia/China.htm

Hong-Kong Vegan Society. Restaurant list is HERE.

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

I'm possibly going to tibet this summer...anyone know what it's like for food? i figured as it was more buddhist it mightn't be so bad. chinese restaurants over here are like some kind of hell sometimes. even the tofu dishes have meat in them...

i'm trying to decide between tibet and southern india - maybe i'll go to india instead *l*

amanda

Hi everyone,
    My partner is going to China (Beijing) for 2 weeks and he wants to buy oatly or similar in the supermarket/shop... ANy tips? A picture of what a packet of oat milk looks like would be welcome! ;o)

I just spent a month in China and it was hard work eating as we were traveling so much.. i ate lots of crisps, bananas and multi vits! I wish i had seen this thread beforehand!

Had some good food though but the amount of animal cruelty out there is shocking.

The only veggie restaurant we went to, i was sick after so it put me off. Gutted. Great country to visit though

Where did you go Pickled Jhon?
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hey!

I went all over China with my band Mike TV... we went to 18 different cities including Shanghai & Beijing. It was awesome - just very hard eating on the move! I have learnt a lot for next time though!

glad you experienced a lot...maybe we can share more when you start the next trip to China
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote shiny2008 View Post
    glad you experienced a lot...maybe we can share more when you start the next trip to China
    I hope we can go back next year, awesome country!

Welcome! hope you can come no late than I start my studying out of China...