Thread: "pure cane sweetener"?

Yogini

Default "pure cane sweetener"?

The store didn't have my usual root beer, so I decided to try Journey brand birch beer even though I'm not too clear on what one of the ingredients is. (I was really thirsty.) It says "pure cane sweeteners." To me this sounds an awful lot like sugar, but does anybody have any idea if this is refined/unrefined, or whatever?

It was pretty good. Similar to root beer, but with a somewhat coffee-ish aftertaste. Refreshing, but not overly sweet.

Love,
    Anna

Default Re: "pure cane sweetener"?

I've noticed this term appearing on a few products lately. No doubt it is cane sugar, and it wouldn't be hard to guess that it is fully processed, if it was unrefined or 'raw' I would expect that they would use that as a selling point. What do you think?

Antony Thinking

Default Re: "pure cane sweetener"?

part regulation /part gimmick. All that stuff is to our bodies SUGAR but regulating bodies determine the amount of impurities/residues allowable to go by the term sugar. Also table sugar is crystalized (powdered/icing sugar further milled) and other terms may include liquids or dried forms like succanat. I bet the folks at health food shops would have literature on each new sweetener; I would like to keep up to date as well to prevent using something of dubious processing ie GM enzymes.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair